Jump to content

Recommended Posts

This is verging on the GO Transit thread, but my confusion was the intial botched numbering.  I've zoomed in on the .pdf as much as I can.  Platform 3 on the map was originally signed as Platform 10 and Platform 4 was signed as Platform 11 when GO Buses began serving the bus loop.  The spare platform (#2 on the map) and the wrong order of the platforms initially led me to believe that they would be numbered 12 to 3 decreasing east along the bus loop and that they had set aside Platform 2 for an eventual GO Train platform on the south side of the tracks.  The renovated train Platform 1 has the yellow tactile strip on both sides even though there are currently no tracks on the north side of the platform.  Renderings of the station show tracks on the north side (in order to be able to provide two-way service).

 

Cooksville.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding your recent inquiry, there will be a full closure of QEW & Hurontario. The on/off ramps will be used as artillery lanes to bring vehicles out of the QEW.  The specifics and details are being developed and coordinated with MTO and will be announced once these are finalized. 

First activities in 2021 in the area will be further south from Port Credit, and then move north towards South Service Rd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They had better pay attention to the timing of the Dixie-QEW interchange reconfiguration as that may leave Cawthra as the only crossing of the QEW east of the Credit without any construction in Mississauga!  The Dixie portion won't go ahead until after they're done with the Etobicoke Creek overpass and West Mall ramp rehabilitation, which looks to be around the halfway point.  I don't think the staging has been announced but the new Dixie overpass would likely go up before they tear the old one down since they're parallel to each other.  Just prepare for a lot of construction-induced traffic!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gil said:

They had better pay attention to the timing of the Dixie-QEW interchange reconfiguration as that may leave Cawthra as the only crossing of the QEW east of the Credit without any construction in Mississauga!  The Dixie portion won't go ahead until after they're done with the Etobicoke Creek overpass and West Mall ramp rehabilitation, which looks to be around the halfway point.  I don't think the staging has been announced but the new Dixie overpass would likely go up before they tear the old one down since they're parallel to each other.  Just prepare for a lot of construction-induced traffic!

There's also this happening...I'm sure its bound to cause some disruption as some articles I read mentioned redirecting traffic over the new bridge temporarily. 

https://www.infrastructureontario.ca/QEW-Credit-River-Bridge-Project/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to one of the Facebook posts with pictures, #2053 arrived on this week. The pic is not mine.

 

 

191EDB0D-17AF-4E10-B6FA-88A3D8027FFA.jpeg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

According to one of the Facebook posts with pictures, #2053 arrived on this week. The pic is not mine.

 

 

191EDB0D-17AF-4E10-B6FA-88A3D8027FFA.jpeg

Based on this shot Miway actually has two HEV Artics, the second is in the top right corner

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Eren Jaeger said:

According to one of the Facebook posts with pictures, #2053 arrived on this week. The pic is not mine.

 

 

191EDB0D-17AF-4E10-B6FA-88A3D8027FFA.jpeg

There are more. Interesting they have a bit of a modified livery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

There are more. Interesting they have a bit of a modified livery.

2053....?  I thought there were only 11 on order.  Are there new MiLocals currently on order?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sdgta2008 said:

2053....?  I thought there were only 11 on order.  Are there new MiLocals currently on order?

Yes there are 11. It seems the artics are numbered from 51. So 2051 to 2061. For Locals, that giant order is for next year unless that has changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

There are more. Interesting they have a bit of a modified livery.

Missing the black section along the windows end to end. Its bothering me lol; MiWay specializes in speccing almost great liveries. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Missing the black section along the windows end to end. Its bothering me lol; MiWay specializes in speccing almost great liveries. 

I noticed it looked different but couldn’t place exactly what was different, I didn’t realize it until you said it and now I can’t do anything but notice it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sdgta2008 said:

2053....?  I thought there were only 11 on order.  Are there new MiLocals currently on order?

MiWay has always ordered artics with numbers starting at xx51, leaving space for potential 40 foot units. Although none seem to be arriving this year, the pattern stands likely for consistency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Articulated said:

MiWay has always ordered artics with numbers starting at xx51, leaving space for potential 40 foot units. Although none seem to be arriving this year, the pattern stands likely for consistency.

Interesting. This Reminds me of Brampton Transit that regular bus start with xxx1 while zum 40ft start with xx50 and zum 60ft start with xx75.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Articulated said:

MiWay has always ordered artics with numbers starting at xx51, leaving space for potential 40 foot units. Although none seem to be arriving this year, the pattern stands likely for consistency.

Interesting detail. Especially since most transit agencies go by the year for the first two digits, then the last two for the unit number. Except for some agencies like TTC and Go Transit that order a large volume that they simply categorize differently depending on bus type.

53 minutes ago, curlingteam333 said:

Interesting. This Reminds me of Brampton Transit that regular bus start with xxx1 while zum 40ft start with xx50 and zum 60ft start with xx75.

Each agency likes to categorize depending on what they operate. Viva in York Region also categorizes their Nova LFS Artics starting with xx70. 2013 buses started with 1370 and 2017 buses starting with 1770. The 2019 LFS Artics start with 71 (1971 to 1980). 

TTC, they number their articulated buses current with 90xx or 91xx.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 5:53 PM, TTC Guy said:

I noticed it looked different but couldn’t place exactly what was different, I didn’t realize it until you said it and now I can’t do anything but notice it

i dont see any "MiExpress" branding on the bus, even though i was expecting to see the express sign like the previous xcelsiors

 

ive also noticed the driver side mirror is 15x8 mirror instead of 10x10 flat with round convex on bottom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, transitfan100 said:

i dont see any "MiExpress" branding on the bus, even though i was expecting to see the express sign like the previous xcelsiors

 

ive also noticed the driver side mirror is 15x8 mirror instead of 10x10 flat with round convex on bottom

The mirrors are being changed for parts uniformity as the novas going forward will have the 15x8 on the left and the single 10x10 on the right side and their training department at the time of the novas believed the 15x8 was a safer option for visibility 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/16/2020 at 2:10 PM, Eren Jaeger said:

According to one of the Facebook posts with pictures, #2053 arrived on this week. The pic is not mine.

191EDB0D-17AF-4E10-B6FA-88A3D8027FFA.jpeg

Could you at least cite the Facebook group?

Progress on the CCTT Renovation has progressed to replacing the elevators, which means MiWay is again rerouting the 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS via Square One Dr. as they had done this past spring.  The notice isn't explicit, so I looked at the stop listing on the revised routing and it struck me that the lower CCTT stops (both directions) on Square One Dr. are the only ones between CCTT and the regular routing on Living Arts Dr.  The roundabout at Duke of York Blvd. and Square One Dr. probably precludes having a stop at the intersection and all of the turns the route takes also makes putting in a pair of stops problematic.  Staying along Square One Dr. from Living Arts Dr. would provide service to at least another pair of stops another pair could be added on Square One Dr. between Living Arts and Duke of York at the crosswalk where the median island is formed which would also restore direct access to the Sheridan campus for those who may need it.

Since the detour is related to the elevator replacement at CCTT to provide wheelchair access (they really should at the very least also mark off a pedestrian route through the parking lot west of the terminal to access the wheelchair ramp off Rathburn) is expected to last through to next year I guess the construction schedule was also affected by COVID or MiWay jumped the gun showing the route change in place for August.

Back to the CCTT Renovations, MiWay also posted this update:

For those who aren't familiar with the new layout, we're facing north where the Customer Service/Lost & Found used to be.  I was never a huge fan of the way the next departures were displayed on the screens showing only the next departure.  With the wide screens there's more than enough room to show the next two or three departures.  Especially (pre-COVID) if you wanted to know how much time you had to duck into Square One if you weren't going to make an immediate connection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/17/2020 at 3:53 PM, Gil said:

Depending on how much later this year they're talking about could we see the migration take place with the late October Service Change or will they just hold off until the January Service Change?  If it were ready mid-board period would there be a contingency plan to migrate as soon as it was ready?  The terminal itself is further along than the PPUDO, but then again it's a far more complex build.

My understanding is that MiWay will be allowed in there starting the first week of December. Whether that means service will start that date or not is another story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, transitfan100 said:

i dont see any "MiExpress" branding on the bus, even though i was expecting to see the express sign like the previous xcelsiors

 

ive also noticed the driver side mirror is 15x8 mirror instead of 10x10 flat with round convex on bottom

There is a MiExpress logo on the driver side below the driver window (see pic attached).

As well, the engine access door has a vent on it, and there are exterior cameras. 

Some minor changes inside. No more reading lights but there are USB power outlets like the Nova LFS HEVs. 53 seats with the rear centre seat blocked off. 

IMG_20201019_141156.jpg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Orion 1200 said:

My understanding is that MiWay will be allowed in there starting the first week of December. Whether that means service will start that date or not is another story.

Inside sources?  That's also around the time GO typically makes their service cuts for Christmas break for post-secondary.  Seeing as they're already scaled back they may just wait until January to introduce service.  I'm sure both MiWay and GO will take the few weeks after the handover for drivers to familiarize themselves with manoeuvring within the terminal as well as get used to the potential new routing (especially for the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE which is supposed to continue serving both Islington and Kipling).  I'm sure like the rest of us, drivers will also be taking their holidays so it make sense to stretch out the familiarization process.

Will MiWay continue to pay the TTC "rent" (when does the typical rental/lease period end? That could be an indicator for the transfer) for the single route at Islington or will it simply get evicted and serve the on-street stops?  Driver layover aside, could the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE offload and board at the same stop on Islington at Aberfoyle?  If they plan on giving the driver a layover without a platform in the station, then boarding will have to take place at Green Lanes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gil said:

Inside sources?  That's also around the time GO typically makes their service cuts for Christmas break for post-secondary.  Seeing as they're already scaled back they may just wait until January to introduce service.  I'm sure both MiWay and GO will take the few weeks after the handover for drivers to familiarize themselves with manoeuvring within the terminal as well as get used to the potential new routing (especially for the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE which is supposed to continue serving both Islington and Kipling).  I'm sure like the rest of us, drivers will also be taking their holidays so it make sense to stretch out the familiarization process.

Will MiWay continue to pay the TTC "rent" (when does the typical rental/lease period end? That could be an indicator for the transfer) for the single route at Islington or will it simply get evicted and serve the on-street stops?  Driver layover aside, could the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE offload and board at the same stop on Islington at Aberfoyle?  If they plan on giving the driver a layover without a platform in the station, then boarding will have to take place at Green Lanes.

Preparations for operating into Kipling Terminal are already being made and MiWay conducted their first test runs into the terminal last week.

Regarding the route 26, the route will no longer enter Islington Station, but rather serve the station on street in both eastbound and westbound directions on the way to and from Kipling Terminal which will be the end point and layovers will be taken there. From Burnhamthorpe and Kipling, the eastbound route will be Burnhamthorpe, Cordova, Central Park, Islington, Bloor (serve Islington Station on street at Bloor/Green Lanes), Dundas, Subway Crescent to Kipling Terminal. From Kipiling Terminal, the westbound route will be Dundas, Bloor, Islington (serve Islington Station on street at Islington/Aberfoyle), Cordova, Burnhamthorpe to regular routing. New stops will be placed to accommodate this revised routing.

With this change, route 20 will be rerouted off Burnhamthorpe in Etobicoke and instead connect to Kipling Terminal using Highway 427 and Dundas. Route 70 will also use this routing.

There are no changes to the other routes currently serving Islington other than revising them to terminate at Kipling Terminal.

I've attached a (crude) drawing showing the planned platform allocations once the terminal opens. Bays 3, 14, 15, 16 have been designed to accommodate articulated buses.

 

 

 

 

Kipling Terminal Diagram.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 1:35 AM, drum118 said:

Oct 2

Until I get some shots from the GO platforms to confirm what I am seeing on the north side, it looks like there is now 16 bays in place of 14. The north side saying 8 bays with GO having 7 & 8 at the east end. All bays have display screens for both direction, with platform 8 being testing.

...

No, they didn't increase the number of bays by 2, it's just Metrolinx' numbering scheme which includes the train platforms.  Kipling has 2 available track platforms, hence the bus platforms begin their numbering at 3.

17 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

Preparations for operating into Kipling Terminal are already being made and MiWay conducted their first test runs into the terminal last week.

Regarding the route 26, the route will no longer enter Islington Station, but rather serve the station on street in both eastbound and westbound directions on the way to and from Kipling Terminal which will be the end point and layovers will be taken there. From Burnhamthorpe and Kipling, the eastbound route will be Burnhamthorpe, Cordova, Central Park, Islington, Bloor (serve Islington Station on street at Bloor/Green Lanes), Dundas, Subway Crescent to Kipling Terminal. From Kipiling Terminal, the westbound route will be Dundas, Bloor, Islington (serve Islington Station on street at Islington/Aberfoyle), Cordova, Burnhamthorpe to regular routing. New stops will be placed to accommodate this revised routing.

With this change, route 20 will be rerouted off Burnhamthorpe in Etobicoke and instead connect to Kipling Terminal using Highway 427 and Dundas. Route 70 will also use this routing.

There are no changes to the other routes currently serving Islington other than revising them to terminate at Kipling Terminal.

I've attached a (crude) drawing showing the planned platform allocations once the terminal opens. Bays 3, 14, 15, 16 have been designed to accommodate articulated buses.

Kipling Terminal Diagram.jpg

I'm guessing Metrolinx is really trying to get MiWay to take over the TTC's 50 BURNHAMTHORPE route since the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE will completely duplicate the routing to and from Islington per my mock-up of the new routing based on your description.  That'll probably take some getting used to for residents along Burnhamthorpe to take a MiWay bus rather than a TTC bus.  Whose logo will show up on the stop if they do or will they use the generic Metrolinx stop?

26 to Kipling.png

Assuming some arrangement is struck between MiWay and TTC, that would resolve the issue of MiWay providing intra-Toronto service for the connecting routes from Kipling to get to Islington and possibly any transfers from the 20 RATHBURN for passengers wanting to reach points east of the 427 (the Loblaws at East Mall for example) since the only common stops outside Toronto with the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE are Ponytrail and Mill (well, not technically, but it is beyond the TTC service area).

Duplication on Bloor would be the next target, but since MiWay doesn't serve Markland Wood I'm not sure if they'd merge the services in the corridor.  You could add a branch of the 112 WEST MALL to cover Markland Wood.  Someone had pointed out in the TTC Discussion thread about the 49 BLOOR WEST returning to Islington.  With Six Points straightened out it would provide additional service to all of the development slated for the area (at the expense of a shorter trip to Kipling unless it served both stations).

Another interesting question with the completion of the Kipling Hub is the future of the Dundas BRT to Waterdown.  It's on Metrolinx' backburner at the moment incubating.  Depending on how they decide to format the BRT service (BRT-lite with simple stops like Brampton's Züm and possibly some painted roadway or something more substantial like physical separation on YRT's VIVA) and the phasing of service implementation would this be a GO Transit route, possibly a MiWay (the 101 Dundas Express did go as far as Uptown Oakville at one point) or overlapping and/or shared service between MiWay, Oakvile Transit and Burlington Transit?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two recent tweets from MiWay that look interesting:

So MiWay is looking for public input on copying the accessible seat design from Toronto's streetcars with fold up seats.

And then:

The real-time displays along the Transitway are getting a system update.  Are they coordinating it with the displays being installed at GO Stations?  The systems appear to be physically different with the Transitway being an LED display while the GO Stations have full screens.  I wonder what else will be displayed on those screens aside from the next departure time?

Speaking of Transitway stations, why is Renforth the only one without municipal wifi?  I don't usually use the stations at the western end of the Transitway to see if they have wifi as well, but I'll get a notification on my phone as I'm passing through the eastern ones.  Trade-off for the washroom?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gil said:

Two recent tweets from MiWay that look interesting:

So MiWay is looking for public input on copying the accessible seat design from Toronto's streetcars with fold up seats.

And then:

The real-time displays along the Transitway are getting a system update.  Are they coordinating it with the displays being installed at GO Stations?  The systems appear to be physically different with the Transitway being an LED display while the GO Stations have full screens.  I wonder what else will be displayed on those screens aside from the next departure time?

Speaking of Transitway stations, why is Renforth the only one without municipal wifi?  I don't usually use the stations at the western end of the Transitway to see if they have wifi as well, but I'll get a notification on my phone as I'm passing through the eastern ones.  Trade-off for the washroom?!

there is no wifi on the 2 western transitway stations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2020 at 4:35 PM, Gil said:

Speaking of Transitway stations, why is Renforth the only one without municipal wifi?  I don't usually use the stations at the western end of the Transitway to see if they have wifi as well, but I'll get a notification on my phone as I'm passing through the eastern ones.  Trade-off for the washroom?!

 

On 10/23/2020 at 8:34 PM, transitfan100 said:

there is no wifi on the 2 western transitway stations

Because all of those stations (Winston Churchill, Erin Mills, and Renforth) are built and maintained by GO/Metrolinx instead of MiWay. You will also notice that this is why the "artistic" style of those stations are different from the rest of the stations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...