I have no hope for Mississauga Transit these past few years and a lot of changes have been poor for riders. The model split hasn't change much in the past 10 years or so that is still well to low for the size of the city and where it should be today, not 2040. The city should be seeing about 140,000 rider a day or 675,000,000 boarding yearly, not the 80-90 million that get used by staff at council. 714-740,000 x 20% x 2 x 275. Density need to be 125-250 per ha along major transit corridors and Hurontario isn't close to this except a few spots. 

I stop years ago doing data collection based on my travels needs that I am very rarely north of Sq On on Hurontario or even use Hurontario these days. Haven't even been on the 502 this year or even used the 103 north of Eglinton. 

I expect the 103 was cut due to the COVID-19 issue and a pain for fast trip to/from PC. One only has to look at the ridership of 2 south of the North Service Rd to see how little they have to stop in that area for riders these days, as well in the past. Quality of service for 2 and 17 sucks for normal service, but has issues dealing with COVID-19 close doors these days, like other routes. It may go back to PC in the fall.

Since the LRT station for PC is next to Hurontario, traffic most likely be reduce to a single lane in each direction using the northbound lane so the tunnel is built under the Lakeshore Line, the new LRT station and moving the sidewalk to the west. This work will not take place until Q2-Q3 in 2021, with road construction starting this fall. Until construction traffic lights are in place, can't do much work like removing the median that hasn't been removed.

There is no acceleration of work taking place as the engineering drawings are still been worked on as well approval by the city and region. The first big push is getting the maintenance complex built so it ready for the new cars in late 2022 or early 2023 to start testing them. They are some places where work could happen soon than later, but up to the builder

Planners and schedulers are still in the Hub and spoke mind set as well thinking everyone is going to Toronto when that not the case in the first place.

One route that needs cutting and said so at council before it went into service and that is the 110 to Clarkson GO. Every trip I been on it, there been less than 10 at all hours of the day in the past. Haven't been on it in over a year.

I like shopping at the Lakeshore NO Frills even though it was small and it was a lost to those who couldn't afford going to Metro or Loblaws since they are over price. in the first place I only go there when things are on sell as I am and have been a cheap shopper for grocery and other things, even though I can pay the high cost in the first place. Within walking distance of a Metro and haven't been side of it for most of the year so far. Even Walmart is becoming over price since they have the market to themselves these days.

Has anyone heard or know about the 106 buses coming from NFI under the PTIF program??? Projects: 16201, 16202, 16239, 17228 and 17229 will cost the city $7,158,000 with $200,000 defer to 2021 for NFI Training.

I know 106 buses where to be order later than normal to replace 0300's and 0500's. Been a while that buses were lasted more than 15 years

36 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Has anyone heard or know about the 106 buses coming from NFI under the PTIF program??? Projects: 16201, 16202, 16239, 17228 and 17229 will cost the city $7,158,000 with $200,000 defer to 2021 for NFI Training.

I know 106 buses where to be order later than normal to replace 0300's and 0500's. Been a while that buses were lasted more than 15 years

The 106 buses you reference along with the listed project numbers were the Nova and New Flyer buses that were received in 2017 and 2018, which were purchased using PTIF funding. Because full reimbursement for these projects still has not been received they are still listed as open projects in the budget report. The charts included with the report make that clear, as do the actual project numbers indicating the projects started in 2016 and 2017. I do not know why there is a note for deferring the payment of training costs for the New Flyers however.

49 Nova LFS 40' (1730-1766, 1801-1812) + 30 Nova LFS 60' (1770-1799) + 27 New Flyer 40' (1701-1727) = 106 buses in 2017 and 2018. 

The only buses on order currently are the 11 New Flyer XDE60s being delivered this fall. Mississauga currently has plans to purchase ~250 buses for 2021-2023 delivery (109 buses projected for 2021) taking advantage of ICIP funding but until that is approved, nothing will be purchased, and there is no guarantee they will be from NFI either.922375284_MiWayfleetprocurementplan.thumb.jpg.055b313e32abb75516c48c38044e7741.jpg

22 hours ago, drum118 said:

One route that needs cutting and said so at council before it went into service and that is the 110 to Clarkson GO. Every trip I been on it, there been less than 10 at all hours of the day in the past. Haven't been on it in over a year.

The 110 service to Clarkson is necessary to provide connections for UTM students to/from the GO Lakeshore Line, and is well used when UTM is in session, after all the majority of UTM students are commuters. Let's not forgot UTM has a active student union and provides millions of dollars in stable revenue to MiWay each year through the UPass program. Removing that service would take away a key connection and would likely be met with vocal opposition from UTM.

• Like 1

Just a thought that ran through my head, why don’t transit agencies like MiWay just unscrew the seats that they don’t want passengers to sit on instead of putting caution tape or posters telling them not to sit on those particular seats?

While I took MiWay I noticed under the seat was all screwed in place by nuts & bolts, which they could easily be unscrewed then put back when social distancing is over. 

I’d understand the middle seat across the back doors plus the 5 back seats, but why not those individual seats? The ones attached to pole stanchions?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikenoza said:

Just a thought that ran through my head, why don’t transit agencies like MiWay just unscrew the seats that they don’t want passengers to sit on instead of putting caution tape or posters telling them not to sit on those particular seats?

While I took MiWay I noticed under the seat was all screwed in place by nuts & bolts, which they could easily be unscrewed then put back when social distancing is over. 

I’d understand the middle seat across the back doors plus the 5 back seats, but why not those individual seats? The ones attached to pole stanchions?

The TTC initially thought of doing this...but between the labour involved, needing garage space to store multiple hundreds of extra cushions for possibly months on end, and the obvious point that passengers will eventually just sit on the naked seat frames anyway, they determined it just wasn’t worth the effort.

removing the seats completely solves the Fed up passenger issue, but magnifies the storage problem, and if the attached stanchions have stop request buttons, that wiring harness would have to be addressed- it runs through said stanchion up into the ceiling as one continuous piece to the main trunk harness in the a/c ducting.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

During the protest which occupied the Morning Star & Goreway intersection for three days buses were on detour around the intersection and using a temporary on-street loop on Corliss Cres. since access to the Westwood Square Terminal was also supposedly blocked.  MiWay had only posted detour notices (that I saw) on Monday and did not post them on Tuesday.  It was interesting watching the buses make their own loops via Darcel and Brandon Gate.  You'd think after 3 days they'd have figured out the detour.  The TTC had cut back its 52B LAWRENCE WEST to loop at McNaughton instead of detouring.  Brampton Transit didn't post any detour notices.  Here's the notice posted from the Peel Police twitter feed.

UPDATE/EDIT: It seems they are still blocking the intersection (Transit55 was showing the buses inside the Westwood Terminal this morning, but it looks like that's since changed) and MiWay has revised the Service Updates page accordingly this afternoon:

Current
  • Rts servicing Westwood Mall terminal are detoured due to closure of Westwood Terminal and closure of Morningstar/Goreway.
Current
  • RT42 - L Goreway, R Etude, L Darcel. L Morning Star both directions RT11 - R Goreway, R Etude, L Darcel both directions RT24 - Etude, L Darcel both directions RT104 - Goreway, R Etude, L Darcel both directions RT7 - Morningstar, L Catalpa, R Brandon Gate, R Monica, R Darcel RT15 - Brandon Gate, cross Goreway, R Monica, Darcel to R Morningstar RT30 - Brandon Gate, cross Goreway, R Monica, R Darcel to R Morningstar RT 16 - L Monica, R Darcel, to R Morningstar
Current
  • RT42 - L Goreway, R Etude, L Darcel. L Morning Star both directions RT11 - R Goreway, R Etude, L Darcel both directions RT24 - Etude, L Darcel both directions RT104 - Goreway, R Etude, L Darcel both directions RT7 - Morningstar, L Catalpa, R Brandon Gate, R Monica, R Darcel RT15 - Brandon Gate, cross Goreway, R Monica, Darcel to R Morningstar RT30 - Brandon Gate, cross Goreway, R Monica, R Darcel to R Morningstar RT 16 - L Monica, R Darcel, to R Morningstar

What's the point of posting the updates under separate directions if they both display the same information?!  Technically, the turns would be reversed for the opposite direction.  Again, from what I was observing on Transit55 differs from what's listed here.  Perhaps they should come with a disclaimer for people waiting on the listed detour routing but not seeing a bus!  The routing to turn around isn't indicated either, meaning the drivers are free to choose?  That would explain the varied loops.

Edited by Gil
Updated information

Service Changes August 3, 2020

The following routes continue to be affected by COVID‐19:

Reduced schedules

• Weekday – 3, 8, 9, 11, 29, 44, 46, 48, 68, 91, 109, 110
  • Saturday – 3, 26, 109
  • Sunday – 109

Routes temporarily cancelled

• Weekday – 32, 37, 64, 67, 100, 107, 185
  • Saturday – 107, 110
  • Sunday – 101, 107, 110

Remove from COVID communication list for August

• 61, all 300 school routes (not operating in summer)

20 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

Service Changes August 3, 2020

The following routes continue to be affected by COVID‐19:

Reduced schedules

• Weekday – 3, 8, 9, 11, 29, 44, 46, 48, 68, 91, 109, 110
  • Saturday – 3, 26, 109
  • Sunday – 109

Routes temporarily cancelled

• Weekday – 32, 37, 64, 67, 100, 107, 185
  • Saturday – 107, 110
  • Sunday – 101, 107, 110

Remove from COVID communication list for August

• 61, all 300 school routes (not operating in summer)

Other than the 61 (I don't recall if it gets a usual service cut in August) all the other routes here are the same as the existing COVID-19 service reductions.  Unless the 61 is poised to get it's service restored in August?  Then there's also the supposed truncation of the 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS from Port Credit to Mississauga Hospital. 

Seeing as they'll need to replace the maps if that goes ahead, should they also remove or change the way the temporarily cancelled routes are shown?  They seemed to do a rather thorough job of replacing the maps when the 19 HURONTARIO was split as there's a notice at the top of the map which makes them easy to spot.  Usually with the smaller changes you'd still see a lot of outdated maps posted in the bus shelters.  Hopefully the full resumption of services coincides with the shift to the new Kipling Terminal and new maps will reflect the restored network and new routings.

Meanwhile, the protest in Malton has shifted to allow buses to enter Westwood but the intersection is still closed forcing detours that aren't posted or followed.

IMG_20200520_1908348.jpg

A couple random observations since I started heading back to work and using transit again:

Must have been a new driver on the 68 TERRY FOX earlier this week.  Missed the turn onto Winterton and instead continued along Guildwood to Bristol, then on to Terry Fox.  There were no detour notices for the Winterton stretch.  The driver then served all of the closed stops due to construction on Britannia instead of the temporary stops outside the construction zone.

Per the no longer listed removed/relocated stops for the 2 HURONTARIO, temporary stops have been posted southbound at John and Hillcrest.  Cooksville GO has over a dozen bus platforms.  Between GO Transit and MiWay that still seems like a few platforms too many unless they're anticipating the station becoming a bigger transit hub for bus routes.

They've started posting the August system map in bus shelters with the truncated 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS  and 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS routing on Square One Drive along with the notice about *mandatory face coverings above the map where the current Hurontario corridor restructuring notice is.

*Medical, age and ability exceptions made.

I know they want to get the word out about the face coverings, the resumption of fare payment and front-door boarding, but rolling it out nearly a month before the next Service Change seems like jumping the gun. 

Is the 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS being booted out of the CCTT altogether and has anyone else heard of what other changes they have planned for August?

IMG_20200707_1834100.jpg