MiWay

Orion VIII

Is it just me (and my browser history) or has MiWay been ramping up their presence in web ads?  One caught my eye regarding the relocation for the 42 DERRY and 104 DERRY EXPRESS routes being relocated from their previous stops at Westwood Square (Platforms E and D respectively) to Platform K since the 107 MALTON EXPRESS is not running as part of the COVID-19 service reductions.  This will apparently allow MiWay to run larger (i.e. artics) and more frequent buses on both routes.  The buses will continue east past Westwood and loop via Darcel, Brandon Gate and Morning Star.  It's not indicated whether or not stops will be served east of Westwood (it would eliminate a transfer to the 22 FINCH or 16/16A MALTON if it did).

Effective May 11th, 2020, Routes 104 and 42 bus stop relocated at Westwood Square Terminal to Platform K

Image may contain: text

Now seeing as all of the express routes are making local stops, what is the difference between the 42 DERRY and 104 DERRY EXPRESS as both have the same routing?  It's essentially a service increase without all of the necessary paperwork.  Also, by now stopping at Platform K is there not enough room for an artic to turn around within the terminal or are they expecting the combined service to generate too much traffic to safely allow that?

Effective: May 11, 2020

To increase passenger capacity on the Derry Corridor, larger buses have been added.
These buses must load passengers at the on-street stop located at Platform K.

Westwood Square Terminal: Routes 42 and 104 will move to the
on-street bus bay on Morning Star Dr, servicing platform K.
Deadhead routing required to return to regular westbound
routing.
Deadhead Routing: Service stop 7100 on Morning Star Dr, left on Darcel Ave,
right on Brandon Gate Dr, right on Teeswater Rd, left on Corliss Cres, right on
Morning Star Dr, left on Goreway Dr continue regular westbound routing.

• 2 weeks later...

May 28 will see the new John St W open for the new Kiss & Ride area At Cooksville GO Station. Will the buses stop be there then once it open, as its a bitch to the GO station using 2 S or 103 S, as John St Stop been close since last year and Hillcrest is close now as well due Gas Line work?? Have to get off at TL Kennedy if that stop is in service, otherwise a loooong walk from Dundas or back track on 2 N

May 28 will also see the closing of the current bus Terminal with GO moving to the new bus bays on the north side and miWay using John St for Drop off and Pickup. Had a looked at the station and can't see any reason at this time why miWay can't using any of the 8 bus bays there. I am assuming miWay will enter the west entrance to get to the new bus bay area and use John St for drop off/pickup and then exit by Hurontario as the current entrance will be close until late summer for rebuilding.

Ran into 3 Sorry Full buses at John stop including a 103 before getting on a 2 N. Then I was on a 109 yesterday that started with 7 of us from Islington and left riders at stops after we had 33 on the Artic bus, even after riders got off at various stop when we hit CCTT.

Edit:

The plan meeting in Sept on miWay 5 year plan has been, cancel given the fact a number of the city project are mandated by the province to have one. Going to interesting how the city and province deal with the mandate.

The City has put of an Tender for Program Management Consulting Service for Rapid Transit Office to deal with the BRT on Dundas, Lakeshore and CCTT/Rapid Transit Connection. If The City receive the requested funding, all of these project must be complete by March 2027. Unless the city plans a larger station and combine it with GO Transit that deals with over 125,000 riders, a waste of money trying to fix the out dated terminal before it was built.

On 5/12/2020 at 1:29 PM, TransferCutter said:

Effective: May 11, 2020

To increase passenger capacity on the Derry Corridor, larger buses have been added.
These buses must load passengers at the on-street stop located at Platform K.

Westwood Square Terminal: Routes 42 and 104 will move to the
on-street bus bay on Morning Star Dr, servicing platform K.
Deadhead routing required to return to regular westbound
routing.
Deadhead Routing: Service stop 7100 on Morning Star Dr, left on Darcel Ave,
right on Brandon Gate Dr, right on Teeswater Rd, left on Corliss Cres, right on
Morning Star Dr, left on Goreway Dr continue regular westbound routing.

The info posted on MiWay's website (see attached advisory) differs from your description and is what I used in my post.  Either way, I take it that the buses are deadheading along that routing to turn around?

On 5/13/2020 at 6:43 PM, TransferCutter said:

New construction coming to Meadowvale TC

4850059D-8F2A-4145-A3E8-FE9FA36870E9.jpeg

The notice on MiWay's site includes only the terminal map and makes it sound like only the entrance is being resurfaced which left me wondering why they couldn't use the alternate entrance into Meadowvale to get to the terminal.

5 hours ago, drum118 said:

May 28 will see the new John St W open for the new Kiss & Ride area At Cooksville GO Station. Will the buses stop be there then once it open, as its a bitch to the GO station using 2 S or 103 S, as John St Stop been close since last year and Hillcrest is close now as well due Gas Line work?? Have to get off at TL Kennedy if that stop is in service, otherwise a loooong walk from Dundas or back track on 2 N

May 28 will also see the closing of the current bus Terminal with GO moving to the new bus bays on the north side and miWay using John St for Drop off and Pickup. Had a looked at the station and can't see any reason at this time why miWay can't using any of the 8 bus bays there. I am assuming miWay will enter the west entrance to get to the new bus bay area and use John St for drop off/pickup and then exit by Hurontario as the current entrance will be close until late summer for rebuilding.

Ran into 3 Sorry Full buses at John stop including a 103 before getting on a 2 N. Then I was on a 109 yesterday that started with 7 of us from Islington and left riders at stops after we had 33 on the Artic bus, even after riders got off at various stop when we hit CCTT.

Edit:

The plan meeting in Sept on miWay 5 year plan has been, cancel given the fact a number of the city project are mandated by the province to have one. Going to interesting how the city and province deal with the mandate.

The City has put of an Tender for Program Management Consulting Service for Rapid Transit Office to deal with the BRT on Dundas, Lakeshore and CCTT/Rapid Transit Connection. If The City receive the requested funding, all of these project must be complete by March 2027. Unless the city plans a larger station and combine it with GO Transit that deals with over 125,000 riders, a waste of money trying to fix the out dated terminal before it was built.

According to the Service Update page the TL Kennedy stop is the designated replacement for the closed Hillcrest Ave. stop.  No mention about the John St. stop, which theoretically should be back if they're opening up John St. into the station.  The closure stemmed from the work involved in extending it west of Hurontario.  Otherwise, the previous stop north of the tracks might make for an closer connection.  Buses will turn around in the parking lot to exit Cooksville GO.  With the station nearing completion, there has been no indication as to when MiWay will extend the 53 KENNEDY to Cooksville GO.

Westwood-Square-Transit-Terminal-FUTURE.jpg

Meadowvale-Town-Centre-Transit-Terminal-TEMPORARY.jpg

Detour_CooksvilleGO-May25.jpg

18 minutes ago, Gil said:

The info posted on MiWay's website (see attached advisory) differs from your description and is what I used in my post.  Either way, I take it that the buses are deadheading along that routing to turn around?

The notice on MiWay's site includes only the terminal map and makes it sound like only the entrance is being resurfaced which left me wondering why they couldn't use the alternate entrance into Meadowvale to get to the terminal.

According to the Service Update page the TL Kennedy stop is the designated replacement for the closed Hillcrest Ave. stop.  No mention about the John St. stop, which theoretically should be back if they're opening up John St. into the station.  The closure stemmed from the work involved in extending it west of Hurontario.  Otherwise, the previous stop north of the tracks might make for an closer connection.  Buses will turn around in the parking lot to exit Cooksville GO.  With the station nearing completion, there has been no indication as to when MiWay will extend the 53 KENNEDY to Cooksville GO.

Westwood-Square-Transit-Terminal-FUTURE.jpg

Meadowvale-Town-Centre-Transit-Terminal-TEMPORARY.jpg

Detour_CooksvilleGO-May25.jpg

If the bus stop for pickup and drop off is on the north side as noted on the map, how is the layover bus going to pickup riders going eastbound on John St, other than having a stop on the south??

If GO buses are going to exit eastbound from the new bus bay, off miWay buses can't follow that route and dropping riders off closer to the GO Station and pickup riders on John St before exiting the station.

I expect the original stop at John St will be back in service on May 25 and can't use the north access as it close and will remain close until the east section of the new platform opens late this year.

Been a while since been down Hurontario and haven't seen TL Kennedy stop in well over a month and was sure where the gas line stop, other seeing a connect to the school at the north end.

17 hours ago, drum118 said:

If the bus stop for pickup and drop off is on the north side as noted on the map, how is the layover bus going to pickup riders going eastbound on John St, other than having a stop on the south??

If GO buses are going to exit eastbound from the new bus bay, off miWay buses can't follow that route and dropping riders off closer to the GO Station and pickup riders on John St before exiting the station.

I expect the original stop at John St will be back in service on May 25 and can't use the north access as it close and will remain close until the east section of the new platform opens late this year.

Been a while since been down Hurontario and haven't seen TL Kennedy stop in well over a month and was sure where the gas line stop, other seeing a connect to the school at the north end.

The 28 CONFEDERATION runs through Cooksville GO, so I doubt they'd need or even have time to layover.  GO has reduced their train service to hourly during rush hour resulting in reduced MiWay service into the station.  The few times I've boarded the 91 HILLCREST at Cooksville GO there have been a few people on the bus who are riding through the station rather than wait for the returning trip to CCTT.  The driver will probably board passengers then take the layover in the parking lot before turning around and starting the northbound trip.  If the schedule padding hasn't been sorted out yet the layover normally taken along Mavis to stay on schedule will probably just be taken at Cooksville with a delayed departure eventually making up the time along the route.  Theoretically, if there wan't any/ a lot of traffic in the PPUDO the buses could loop through there.

As for why MiWay can't use the bus bays on the north side of the parking garage/station, my guess would be that due to the ongoing construction it would be a liability issue.  It's a GO station, so they're probably covered if something happens to their own vehicles on their property.  Otherwise it could be a bit of NIMBYism with the condo residents not wanting ALL bus traffic to use the west access road which doubles as their driveway.

Cooksville GO construction map

Finally, per Ministry of Health guidelines MiWay is now recommending non-medical face coverings be worn while on public transit:

Updated: May 22, 2020  

NOTICE: The Ontario Ministry of Heath recommends the use a face covering (non-medical mask such as a cloth mask) to reduce the risk of transmission of COVID-19 when physical distancing and keeping two-metres’ distance from others may be challenging or not possible. Learn about face coverings, including how to properly fit, wear, remove and clean your non-medical face mask.

On 4/1/2020 at 11:05 PM, Gil said:

You'll have to do a search on the new MiWay site as they've rearranged (and apparently hidden) some links.  I've mentioned it before, but in using the Triplinx trip planner you can't plan using stop numbers.  Since you need to select an agency, I don't see why they can't add each agency's stop IDs.  It's now a 50/50 guess as to which stop (assuming the cross-streets don't change name at the intersection) to select.  Granted it's not that far generally to the other stop if you select the wrong one, but it's weird they'd eliminate the ability to differentiate or specify. 

Here's the revised MiWay5 implementation plan for 2020 ... :

Simplifying Hurontario local services in anticipation for Hurontario LRT Construction

Route 19s Hurontario

Date: April 27, 2020

Routes simplified and streamlined to minimize service impacts due to upcoming Hurontario LRT Construction.

Enhancing the Eglinton Corridor by Eliminating Service Duplication

Date: June 29, 2020

Route 7 Airport

Revised routing to service Northwest Drive and end at Renforth Transitway Station (previously serviced by Route 24 Northwest).

Route 24 Northwest

Cancelled and merged with Route 7 Airport. Alternate routes: revised Route 7 Airport and 107 Malton Express.

Route 34 Credit Valley

Cancelled to eliminate service duplication. Alternate route: enhanced Route 35/35A Eglinton with increased service frequency.

Route 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line / 35A Eglinton-Tenth Line

Increased service frequency.

It seems like someone changed the dates for the Eglinton Corridor changes but didn't carry them through the entire website.  It seems like the streamlining of the corridor was bumped up by about a month, but the schedule on the Trip Planner still show the 7 AIRPORT, 24 NORTHWEST and 34 CREDIT VALLEY still running on June 1.  There should have been a notice on the Service Update page as well if they were going to make another major change like that.  Aren't the board periods usually about 6-8 weeks.  The last changes took place in late April, so late June sound about right for the next round.

Date: June 1, 2020

Route 7 Airport

Revised routing to service Northwest Drive and end at Renforth Transitway Station (previously serviced by Route 24 Northwest).

Route 24 Northwest

Cancelled and merged with Route 7 Airport. Alternate routes: revised Route 7 Airport and 107 Malton Express.

Route 34 Credit Valley

Cancelled to eliminate service duplication. Alternate route: enhanced Route 35/35A Eglinton with increased service frequency.

Given what's been going on lately, are the plans for this year still on track or will they be deferred?  Rationalizing service in light of budgetary shortfalls seems like a good idea in the case of Eglinton.  There's also still no word on how the overnight service on the 7 AIRPORT will be replaced.  I don't know that the truncated routing for the 7 AIRPORT will need overnight service seeing as it's currently only rush hour service on the 24 NORTHWEST.  Then again, there are a lot of warehouses and shipping companies that rely on the proximity to Pearson that are probably 24-hour operations whose staff would probably appreciate the service. 

Adding the 35 EGLINTON to the overnight service would provide a connection to City Centre and Islington/Kipling for people trying to get to Malton via Renforth Station.  It would also provide some access to Credit Valley Hospital.  Otherwise in order to provide the same level of connectivity, the overnight service would have to retain the old routing.

17 hours ago, Gil said:

It seems like someone changed the dates for the Eglinton Corridor changes but didn't carry them through the entire website.  It seems like the streamlining of the corridor was bumped up by about a month, but the schedule on the Trip Planner still show the 7 AIRPORT, 24 NORTHWEST and 34 CREDIT VALLEY still running on June 1.  There should have been a notice on the Service Update page as well if they were going to make another major change like that.  Aren't the board periods usually about 6-8 weeks.  The last changes took place in late April, so late June sound about right for the next round.

Date: June 1, 2020

Route 7 Airport

Route 24 Northwest

Route 34 Credit Valley

Given what's been going on lately, are the plans for this year still on track or will they be deferred?  Rationalizing service in light of budgetary shortfalls seems like a good idea in the case of Eglinton.  There's also still no word on how the overnight service on the 7 AIRPORT will be replaced.  I don't know that the truncated routing for the 7 AIRPORT will need overnight service seeing as it's currently only rush hour service on the 24 NORTHWEST.  Then again, there are a lot of warehouses and shipping companies that rely on the proximity to Pearson that are probably 24-hour operations whose staff would probably appreciate the service. 

Adding the 35 EGLINTON to the overnight service would provide a connection to City Centre and Islington/Kipling for people trying to get to Malton via Renforth Station.  It would also provide some access to Credit Valley Hospital.  Otherwise in order to provide the same level of connectivity, the overnight service would have to retain the old routing.

It would appear the June 29th board period (BP) was moved up to make official the service reductions that have already occurred.

As for why the board period was moved up I have a theory. Operators had already selected crews for the April 27th BP by the time significant cuts started trickling down and the way cuts to service was done meant that operators who have cancelled blocks as part of their crews have instead become spareboard operators. Essentially some operators have benefited by these cuts regardless of seniority, which is a big deal in a unionized transit environment. By moving up the BP they restore the order of seniority in crew choices as this upcoming BP reflects how service is actually operating. 

Unfortunately the 7 is not being truncated nor is the 34 being eliminated. A single rush hour bus has been cut from the 34 resulting in a 30+ minute frequency all day on weekdays. There's no changes (additions or removals) to service hours on the 7 or 35.

Another unfortunate thing is how service has been cut on some routes. For example on the 26 on Saturdays a single bus has been removed from the schedule without making alterations to the others blocks on the route. The result is a schedule that for the most part runs at a 20 minute frequency, but with a 40 minute gap once ever 6th bus. (20-20-20-20-20-40-repeat) Had there been a proper rescheduling of the route on Saturdays they could have instead provided a consistent 23.33 minute service with the same run times in place. 

This haphazard manner of cutting service almost guarantees crowding/doors closed for those unfortunate enough to find themselves at the tail end of the 40 minute gap in service. It's not fair nor good for operators and passengers alike. 

• Like 1

There will be no stop southbound for John St on Monday as concrete barriers are still there. Unless miWay crew come in tonight to place stop post, there will be done on Monday. Then, riders will have to walk across top soil to get to the curb/sidewalk.

Lot of Bus Full for 103 in both direction on Friday. The 2 I got on today should had Bus Full on it, as it was standing room only and 2 people standing in the both doorway unmask. Yesterday saw 5 riders on the 3 E, but had 16 going east of Dixie where the driver put the Bus Full on. We past a few stop leaving riders standing there and then drop off 6 at a stop. The next stop saw a walker rider get on and said 3 buses had already pass them.

Then I was on 3 TTC 29 route buses where it was beyond rider numbers and people sitting in seat they shouldn't.

As for face mask, going to be hard to enforce on transit, let along on the street. Based on what I saw on Sat, Safe Distance didn't exist to the point it was 60-70% no mask. Used my mask on transit or near a large group of people.

The June 1, 2020 Service Changes are now available for viewing:

On June 1, MiWay will change schedules and service levels on several routes in response to evolving customer demand due to COVID-19.

The changes include:

1. Schedule changes and reduced service due to COVID-19 impacts and seasonal summer adjustments

2. Canada Day service – buses will operate on a holiday schedule on Wednesday, July 1

1. Schedule changes and reduced service due to COVID-19 impacts and seasonal summer adjustments

The following routes will have changes due to COVID-19 impacts or due to seasonal summer adjustments.

Throughout the school year, additional school trips normally run until June 29. Due to COVID-19 and closed school facilities, these routes will provide reduced service starting June 1.

2 Hurontario – New Saturday and Sunday schedules

3 Bloor – Reduced weekday service and new Saturday schedules

4 Sherway Gardens – Reduced weekday service

6 Credit Woodlands – Reduced weekday service, new weekday and weekend schedules

8 Cawthra – Reduced weekday service and new weekday schedules

9 Rathburn-Thomas – Reduced weekday service and new weekday schedules

10 Bristol-Britannia – Reduced weekday service and new weekday schedules

13 Glen Erin – Reduced weekday service

14 Lorne Park – Reduced weekday service

17 Hurontario – New Saturday schedules

20 Rathburn – Reduced weekday service

26 Burnhamthorpe – Reduced weekday service and new Saturday schedules

29 Park Royal-Homelands – Reduced weekday service and new weekday schedules

34 Credit Valley – New Saturday schedules

36 Colonial-Ridgeway – Reduced weekday service

38 Creditview – Reduced weekday service

44 Mississauga Road – Reduced weekday service

46 Tenth Line-Osprey – Reduced weekday service and new weekday schedules

48 Erin Mills – New weekday schedules

49A McDowell-Streetsville GO – New weekday schedules

51 Tomken – Reduced weekday service

61 Mavis – Reduced weekday service

68 Terry Fox – New weekday schedules

74 Explorer – New weekday schedules

91 Hillcrest-Cooksville GO – New weekday schedules

108 Meadowvale Business Express – New weekday schedules

109 Meadowvale Express – New weekday schedules

110 University Express – New weekday schedules

Province of Ontario now recommends those travelling on public transit to wear a non-medical mask or face covering.

The following routes are already running with changed service due to COVID-19:

3 Bloor – Reduced Saturday service

11 Westwood – Reduced weekday service

26 Burnhamthorpe – Reduced Saturday service

44 Mississauga Road – Reduced weekday service

61 Mavis – Reduced weekday service

100 Airport Express – Cancelled on weekdays

101 Dundas Express – Cancelled on Sundays

107 Malton Express – Cancelled on weekdays and weekends

109 Meadowvale Express – Reduced service on weekdays and weekends

110 University Express – Reduced weekday service and cancelled on weekends

185 Dixie Express – Cancelled on weekdays

All 300 school routes – Cancelled

GO shuttle routes – Cancelled:

• 32 Lisgar GO
  • 37 Creditview-Erindale GO
  • 64 Meadowvale GO
  • 67 Streetsville GO

2. Canada Day Service

On Canada Day, buses will operate on a holiday schedule and service will be cancelled on the following four routes:

• 6 Credit Woodlands
  • 28 Confederation
  • 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line
  • 68 Terry Fox

Not running service on Canada Day on certain routes is a new development this year.  With the Canada Day Fireworks pre-emptively cancelled there isn't the late night holiday service required.  With all of the cancelled routes (primarily GO shuttles and Express routes) should they be removed from the system map?  At least the online one?  Or at the very least grey them out similar to what Brampton Transit did with their COVID-19 map?  Showing routes that aren't operating probably leads to unnecessary confusion when trying to plot your trip.  I guess it's still a bit early, but I guess summer school routes will also be cancelled?  The usual Service Change at the end of June/beginning of July which introduces them has been scrapped.

91 and 28 aren't using John St as the plan noted, but using Hurontario Northbound Stop at John St and loop the block to get back on Route. The first 91 I saw was doing a layover on John St. There are large sign stands and notices on the shelter per the new routing and must went up Mon or Tues as they weren't there Sunday.

Saw nothing but bus full going northbound for 2 and the 103 that people started walking after the 3rd close doors, After the 2 close doors and the 3rd 2 close door, I caught the 28 N Since I needed to get to Shopper's At Sq One. As we cross Hurontario, a 4th close 2 N bus was at Hillcrest.

Had another 28 N bus pass us along the route and we were crawling all the way to the terminal. We both arrived at the same time at CCTT.

I don't what others are seeing, but seeing an increase of ridership on some route and going to be interesting to see how it plays out starting June 1 with increase of service.

3 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

Over the past little while, I've been working on digitizing Mississauga Transit material to archive online for viewing. This effort led to http://mississaugatransithistory.ca which is now online.

Included on the website are old Mississauga Transit system maps, schedules and frequency guides, service change announcements as well as various council and committee reports related to Mississauga Transit from its beginnings in the early 1970s to present. 

Of course this is just the beginning - there will be much more material to be published over the coming months that will provide a even more complete look into Mississauga's Transit history. The website is pretty bare bones to start as it is meant as a archive for material, but that will evolve over time.

Feel free to take a look and if there's anything you feel should be added to the site or have something to contribute, reach out to me via message or using the email listed on the site.

Very cool, thanks for sharing. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

City Council gave the go ahead for MiWay to follow the lead of Brampton Transit and effective July 2 with the resumption of fare collection is making the wearing of a face covering mandatory except for those under the age of 2 and who have a disability or medical condition that prevents them from wearing a mask.  How the latter will be taken by fellow passengers is to be debated.  Do you present a medical note before boarding?  I know asthma is one such condition where wearing a mask is not recommended.

Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information

Updated: June 10, 2020

Thursday, June 18 – The MiWay Information Booth at City Centre Transit Terminal will be available at the trailer outside near Platform D. Physical distancing measures will be in place inside and outside of the trailer.

Wednesday, June 24 – The MiWay Fares Booth inside the City Centre Transit Terminal will reopen. Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday from 11:15 a.m. to 7 p.m. until further notice. Avoid the line ups and load your PRESTO card online at prestocard.ca or download the official PRESTO App.

Thursday, July 2 – MiWay will resume fare collection and front door boarding. Starting Thursday, July 2, it will be mandatory for riders to wear non-medical masks or face coverings on board buses. Children under the age of two, and people with disabilities or other medical conditions that prevent them from wearing any mask will not be required to wear one.

There's been a slight tweak with the next scheduled Service Change on August 3 involving the 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS.  Still too far out for them to mention what they have in mind, but there is also still no mention as to the implementation of the Eglinton corridor streamlining.  I'm not sure what they have in mind for eliminating service duplication unless they're taking about the northern half which is also served by Brampton's Züm 502 MAIN.  From my pre-pandemic observations, most people waiting at northbound stops north of the 403 are trying to catch the 502 rather than the 103 (one less transfer at Brampton Gateway vs. taking the first available bus).

Improving service reliability along the Hurontario corridor in anticipation for LRT construction

Date: August 3, 2020

Revised routing for Route 103 Hurontario Express to eliminate service duplication and increase service reliability.

The shift to Kipling Station has become a bit ambiguous with the change now listed as Fall 2020 rather than with September 7/Labour Day change date.  The scheduled changes in Churchill Meadows for October 26 are no longer listed either.  If the current COVID-19 situation doesn't clear up by then, I don't think they'll go ahead with the opening the new community centre and restructure the 9 RATHBURN-THOMAS, 35 EGLINTON and 39 BRITANNIA to serve it.  Will the 50 LISGAR-CHURCHILL MEADOWS be deferred as well?  The Proposed Network Map is still the April version, though I've just noticed them depicting the 2 HURONTARIO as not using Robert Speck and City Centre!

While on the subject of these long compound routes do people actually refer to them by their full name or simply use the usually shorter route name that's displayed on the side desto?  This goes even for just long route names like the 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS which just goes by WOODLANDS on the side desto.  Why add a duplicated route name onto another like the 10 BRISTOL-BRITANNIA?  Ever since the restructuring from the beginning of the MiWay 5 plan it's time on Britannia itself has been cut in half.  As for the two HURONTARIO routes currently running, appending a cardinal just messes with the insistence of displaying the route direction as well.  Change one to either BRAMPTON or PORT CREDIT without resorting to adding a hyphenated -CITY CENTRE.  Most will be able to figure it out.

• Thanks 1

The 103 is usually doors closed as soon as it leaves Brampton Gateway under current COVID-19 restrictions, and the articulated 502 buses are often closed-door as well south of Downtown Brampton. I don't like the sound of the sudden "service duplication" talk after nine years of the 103 and 502 running in unison. 

https://seanmarshall.ca/2020/06/12/sorry-bus-full-riding-transit-during-a-pandemic/

img_9100-001.jpg?w=670

Can see why the 103 was cut back to the Hospital as the ridership far off south of the Queensway like the 2. Ridership south of the Queensway will remain low as there is no density there now nor in the future. It was also why the 19A B C terminated at the hospital. The only time there is/was a problem for ridership for northbound buses was when the school day ended.

It will be a bit of a pain when I use the Lakeshore GO Service, but that very rare these days as well going south of Dundas.

It would have be a bitch if service was cut to the north as 502, let alone 17 wouldn't be able handle the ridership on a good day. Many times, the 103 is close door going north from Dundas and more so at Derry. Even today, seen and been on close doors 103 off peak going more north than south.

Have seen close doors for 502 in both direction off peak as well at peak before COVID-19 and more so today.

10 hours ago, UrbanToronto said:

Looks like the 103 is being cut back on the south end, at the hospital, rather than the north. 

https://web.mississauga.ca/wp-content/uploads/sites/6/2020/06/15163815/MiWay-2020-Proposed-Network-Map.pdf

Aside from the random reassignment of route colours among some of the other changes (or lack thereof) the 7 AIRPORT gets cut back to Renforth while the 34 CREDIT VALLEY and 90 TERRAGAR-COPENHAGEN do not get cut in addition to the service restructuring to Churchill Meadows CC.  The 49A McDOWELL routing doesn't change to serve Vista and Bell Harbour while the all-day 49 McDOWELL continues to duplicate service along Winston Churchill.  Having seen that stretch, how much demand is there from the stops along Winston Churchill?  The 50 LISGAR-CHURCHILL MEADOWS is also being implemented.  With a commercial centre taking shape on the south side of Eglinton between Ninth Line and Ridgeway I'm surprised through service on Ridgeway over the 403 hasn't been considered yet.  Take one of the duplicated routes in Churchill Meadows and route it down to South Common giving through service on Burnhamthorpe.  They could at least put the call out box for Erin Mills Town Centre back in if they really don't see it going any time soon.  So much for migrating to the Transitway station!

I wonder with the truncated 7 AIRPORT routing why it didn't duplicate the 24 NORTHWEST's routing completely?  It's short enough now, why make it even shorter.  Given the types of businesses in that area, you'd figure they'd appreciate more overnight service that the service would bring, that is if it is going to keep the overnight service since it's been cut back to Renforth instead of CCTT.

The 35 EGLINTON is still shown as not running past Renforth Station.  I must have pointed that mistake out a few years ago at multiple PICs.  All the written material says that the 35 EGLINTON will continue to serve the subway (regardless of which station).  Meanwhile, I think they forgotten that they've nixed the idea of short turning the 20 RATHBURN as it's missing from the list of routes moving to Kipling unless they plan on keeping it at Islington.  Would MiWay pay less if it were using fewer bays if say only 2 or 3 routes continued using it? 

With a few months to go (depending on when in the Fall construction is completed) I'm surprised they haven't figured out how routes will be reconfigured to serve Kipling.  At this point in the game I don't know why they're still showing Islington as the main subway connection point in their 2020 map.  The 20 RATHBURN, 26 BURNHAMTHORPE and 70 KEATON would probably run down Kipling to Dundas and then enter the new station.  If one or two routes did continue to Islington it'd force MiWay to differentiate which "Subway" station they were going to.  Also, why does the 71 SHERIDAN-SUBWAY PM routing go up the 427 rather than Islington?  Kipling is only slightly more troublesome because of its offramp from the Gardiner leading to Evans Ave. though no more convoluted than using the Dundas exit from the 427. 

There's another odd detail, the 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS is shown looping using last April's detour routing along Square One Dr. and Hammersmith Dr. though it continues to Duke of York.  I don't know if they're trying to free up space at CCTT or just try to make Sheridan more accessible, but wouldn't using Square One Dr. from Living Arts Dr. mean fewer turns which would dictate stop spacing and position?  I'm surprised they haven't done this sooner with other routes primarily coming from the east that could turn around at the Duke of York roundabout.

5 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Provided school is back in come September, I hope they'll run the 103 back down to PC. Makes a difference for people coming from far. 

I'm one of those user which given GO Transit's scheduling, I may use Port Credit over Cooksville.  I was thinking the elimination of duplication might have meant running the 103 along a different corridor like McLaughlin or Mavis or even Kennedy/Central Pkwy. especially once construction starts.  Were the turns so time consuming for the 4 SHERWAY GARDENS (still prefer the old APPLEWOOD designation) that they couldn't return to serving the on-site stop at Mississauga Hospital (I still call it Mississauga Gen since there's Credit Valley now) with the 19 HURONTARIO services gone?  I guess the 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS will fill that slot.

4 minutes ago, Gil said:

Also, why does the 71 SHERIDAN-SUBWAY PM routing go up the 427 rather than Islington?  Kipling is only slightly more troublesome because of its offramp from the Gardiner leading to Evans Ave. though no more convoluted than using the Dundas exit from the 427. 

I’ve taken the 71 Sheridan-Subway eastbound in the afternoon. The reason why it returns to Toronto via the 427 instead of Islington is so that customers can connect to the the Bloor-Danforth line from Kipling Stn at Aukland Rd. On that note, the 71 is being renumbered to fall under the miExpress services umbrella as the 102 route

2 hours ago, bus_7246 said:

I’ve taken the 71 Sheridan-Subway eastbound in the afternoon. The reason why it returns to Toronto via the 427 instead of Islington is so that customers can connect to the the Bloor-Danforth line from Kipling Stn at Aukland Rd. On that note, the 71 is being renumbered to fall under the miExpress services umbrella as the 102 route

I figured as much, but it seemed strange as you can just as easily access the other MiWay routes from the Green Lane stop at Islington as well as the TTC network.  If MiWay still intends on providing a continued minimum service to Islington you'd wind up with some more convoluted routings in order to be able to serve both Kipling and Islington conveniently.  Otherwise you're left with the LOOONNG walk from Dundas & Aukland to the Kipling Terminal at the bottom of Subway Cres. (I wonder if they'd rename it since it's no longer a crescent but more of a court/cul-de-sac).

That still leaves the question on whether they'll reroute to two-way along Kipling once the migration occurs.  As for the conversion of the 71 into the 102, I've lamented the inconsistencies with the express services.  The 100-series MiExpress routes made sense for routes serving express stops along key corridors where local service was provided.  The 108 MEADOWVALE BUSINESS EXPRESS was the lone exception serving all stops on the local section of its routing in Meadowvale (not that it would make much difference if it served the local stops along Dundas as well - essentially the non-highway portions of the route).  The new 102 SHERIDAN EXPRESS (?) would likely follow this model.  Then you have the current 70-series which uses the highways but makes local stops when running on regular streets.  What's left of the 80-series express routes have express stops but no highway segments.  There's the occasional on-board message about the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK (should that eventually be changed to Renforth?) being a limited stop route for those unfamiliar with it since it's not branded as a 100-series express route.  Finally the abandonned 200-series express routes seemed to make sense as they were only available during rush hours, whereas the 100-series when they overlapped were all-day (or most of the day).

The survey they conducted earlier this year to get input for the next MiWay Five plan (which I should post some time) had several questions regarding additional express services.  I liked the plan they initially had for the Transitway of having (200-series) express routes come off the Transitway and serve other areas of Mississauga, especially given that there are now few Transitway stops west of CCTT.  If the Transitway service was frequent enough I wouldn't be opposed to making a transfer from one of the new express services. Through-routing them to Kipling or Islington would help improve frequencies along the main trunk of the Transitway and provide additional connections between Renforth Station and the subway.  Otherwise I'm left trying to weigh my options about the quickest trip home based on real-time vs. scheduled trips.  This of course is all predicated on the eventual return of normal service and demand.