In other news...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/metrolinx-not-backing-down-from-lrt-stop-dispute-with-mississauga-residents-1.5355747

... He said population density, the availability of other services, easy links to other transportation corridors and future growth all pointed to Eglinton as the preferred site for a stop.

Bhatti emphasized that current bus routes and transit for the disabled will remain in place. ...

MiWay and Metrolinx apparently aren't talking to each other as MiWay is planning on removing service on Kingsbridge Garden Circle and Elia for that matter next year.  There's still quite a bit of vacant land on the east side of Hurontario and potential to intensify on the numerous parking lots in the area.  If they're planning on using the LRT as a catalyst to intensify development along the corridor, a stop here would be useful between the existing and potential densities.

I'm not sure what service levels will be like on what's left of the 19 HURONTARIO after the LRT open.  Or are they planning on adding some more circulator routes like the 25 TRADERS LOOP to connect to future LRT stations?  In talking with MiWay staff during past consultations, they said the bulk of the passenger traffic on Kingsbridge Garden came from the buildings on Tucana Ct. and were expected to walk to Hurontario to catch a bus.

On 11/11/2019 at 6:00 PM, soo8513 said:

We (the taxpayers of Mississauga) can't afford to buy 50 buses a year … that would sustain an eight-year renewal.  I rode 0563, 1031, and 1747 today. All three were warm, safe, and ontime. I don't think any appeared in disrepair.

There is sufficient capital funding to replace buses on a 15 year lifespan for 40' buses and 12 years for 60' buses. The 2003 buses are a exception as there was a desire to replace the Eldorados and 2008 D60s earlier than planned. There are currently no plans to extend any other buses past the 15 year span as it has proven costly with the 2003 buses - additional engine, transmission and especially frame repair which also leads to significant downtime.

On 11/11/2019 at 7:41 PM, drum118 said:

Looks like 25 buses for 2020 and close to 100 in 2021, depending on size. 2022-2024 should bring all the buses back to 15 year cycle, along with expansion. It will be interesting to see any E buses for some of the buses yearly.

12 year renewal should be the way.

2020 Budget and need more service hours, especially for weekends

https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/budget/2019/Item_7.1_Service_Area_Presentations.pdf

There are 11 60' hybrid buses being purchased for 2020 which are currently out to tender. 2021 is the first year of the proposed 3 year tender for buses that will see approximately 250 buses being purchased between 2021 and 2023. In 2021, 109 buses are being projected. See this post for more detail as well as the chart below taken from the report.922375284_MiWayfleetprocurementplan.thumb.jpg.055b313e32abb75516c48c38044e7741.jpg

19 hours ago, drum118 said:

The city still doesn't get it for weekend or late night service. Don't drink and drive can't be done in Mississauga unless using a cab or a friend as transit will never do it for most ppl.

They are going from 99,808 to 103,626 while keeping at 6% service hours for Sunday and 139,228 to 144,954 for Sat at 9%. Do the math for 52 weeks to see how many hours are being added for a day and then divide it by the number of routes to see what it really being added. Quick take for Sunday without calculating is an extra 500 hours or 50 hrs/hrs base on 10 hrs of service.

If you are going to a grid system, routes should be longer compare to the past and 39 is one of those routes.

My take that is there isn't going to be much more or anymore 24 hr routes in 2020.

The city has talked the good transit talk for over 15 years, but can't put in the money to backup the talk.

Until you get rid of most of the councilor who been around 20-30 years, its the horse and buggy folks who don't want you out late or partying. The mayor speaks from both side of her mouth at the same time talking transit.

A minor correction. You compared the 2018 to 2020 service hour breakdown when you probably intended to compare 2019 to 2020.

That said, the breakdown of service hours by service day as listed in the budget should be taken with a grain of salt. For example, the budget lists that only 1,880 Sunday hours were to be added in 2019. Yet the most recent service changes to Sunday service on the 68, 101, and 109 add up to almost 4,500 Sunday hours. What really matters at the end of the day is the total annual hours added, which in this case is 32,600 hours and is consistent with the 2-3% annual growth we have seen for most of the 2010s. The issues in Mississauga are not just limited to the growth of additional service each year, rather how those service hours are added. 

It is true that service spans on weekends, and especially on Sundays leaves a lot to be desired. There is also a lot of inconsistency in service spans which appear to be a legacy of old routing. For example, route 29 which is a local route has service from 7am-1am on Sundays, a legacy of when route 13 and 48 served much of the area as well. Meanwhile, route 23 which serves Lakeshore and 3 GO Stations has service from 8am-10pm.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, transitfan100 said:

1905 entered service on 20 Rathburn

1909 entered service on 110 University Express

To prevent cross posting, it's probably best to post this in the subforum.

• Like 1

Don't know if this counts as a sighting or an observation: nearly 3 weeks after the Service Change introducing the 68 TERRY FOX there are still a few buses displaying the old 68 WINDSOR HILL desto and some (0816) with the even older 68 WINDSOR HILL LOOP. How long does it generally take to reprogram the entire fleet with new destos?

I guess the 20 RATHBURN and 26 BURNHAMTHORPE have resumed their regular routing via Aukland as I saw them turning up last night. Has this been going on since the last Service Change or did the routing revert as a result of traffic through Six Points?

The budget link @drum118 posted earlier had a line about installing departure displays at GO stations. I guess that explains the work at Erindale GO (which hasn't progressed past the point of the bases being poured and wired up). I don't know what format the displays will take as the base is too tall for something similar to the one inside the CCTT. A simple LED one similar to the ones at the USBT platforms or what YRT uses at their terminals should suffice.

On November 15, 2019 at 9:35 PM, Gil said:

Don't know if this counts as a sighting or an observation: nearly 3 weeks after the Service Change introducing the 68 TERRY FOX there are still a few buses displaying the old 68 WINDSOR HILL desto and some (0816) with the even older 68 WINDSOR HILL LOOP. How long does it generally take to reprogram the entire fleet with new destos?

1137 is still displaying 68 WINDSOR HILL to Bristol which was confusing passengers thinking it was a short turn. If it's taking this long to reprogram the destos they should have a sign in the window saying TERRY FOX. 

With the route being so new I had to check that there were indeed no scheduled short turns on the route.

I did discover the rush hour extras don't do the complete route when ending their runs. I guess the designated end point of northbound service is Creditview and Britannia (at the Tim Hortons). The entire trip the driver was asking boarding passengers if they were going to Bancroft since he wasn't. Ideally the desto would read Britannia and not Bancroft on this trip. My question is where does the bus presumably turn around to head south on Creditview to the garage? I hadn't paid attention after getting off the bus, but Transit55 did track the bus going southbound on Creditview a bit later. 

There's also an unannounced stop at Terry Fox and Windsor Hill. It seemed strange to have a gap in stops between Winterton and Bristol. That stop last existed when the 10 MEADOWVALE ran before Bristol Rd. was open between Terry Fox and Mavis. 

On 11/12/2019 at 9:45 PM, Silly Tilley said:

There are 11 60' hybrid buses being purchased for 2020 which are currently out to tender. 2021 is the first year of the proposed 3 year tender for buses that will see approximately 250 buses being purchased between 2021 and 2023. In 2021, 109 buses are being projected. See this post for more detail as well as the chart below taken from the report.

The tender for the 11 60' MiExpress buses (hybrid-electric) closed today and both New Flyer and Nova submitted bids. The bid amounts were:

New Flyer - $13,837,675.22 ($1,257,970.47 per bus)

Nova - $14,803,907.00 ($1,345,809.73 per bus)

With the New Flyer bid being lower by almost $1 million and $88,000 per bus it is likely they will be awarded the contract.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

How will buses be number if 109 buses are order for 2021?? Unless some bus numbers are pushed into 2020 numbers or 2022, going to need  5 numbers. Wouldn't be the first system to do that when ordering more than 100 buses for a year. 21109

The Malton Garage expansion project is nearing completion. This project included the construction of a second washbay, as well as site improvements for better capacity. This allows the service capacity for Malton to increase from 75 to 100 buses.

Come the January 6 service changes, Malton will receive MiExpress buses and operate several blocks on both the 104 and 107. They will require a minimum of 8 MiExpress buses for service and factoring in spares, will probably get 10 or 11 MiExpress buses. The blocks Malton will operate are:

104 (3 AM buses and 3 PM buses) - 540a-1036a540a-938a555a-953a203p-716p235p-741p250p-755p

107 (5 all day buses and 2 evening buses) - 504a-802p524a-823p536a-715p711a-851p740a-836p841p-1103p901p-1123p

Nothing major to note for the January 6 service changes. A bunch of routes are getting earlier and later trips on Saturdays and Sundays. Some GO shuttles will have low ridership trips cut - the 32 loses the 545a and 609a trips, 49A loses the 427p trip, 64 loses the 547a and 804p trips, and 67 loses the 552a, 616a, and 627a trips.

• Like 2

1407 has the new headlights now. Are they just replacing the headlights on the Xcelsiors with the 2018 2nd gen headlights (or whatever they're called) now?

10 hours ago, mikenoza said:

1407 has the new headlights now. Are they just replacing the headlights on the Xcelsiors with the 2018 2nd gen headlights (or whatever they're called) now?

I would assume so, once the existing older gen headlights become defective. 

2 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

Man dies, operator has minor injuries, Derry/Tomken 

https://www.680news.com/2019/12/10/man-dies-after-hitting-back-of-mississauga-city-bus/

77069B25-6464-4743-9818-E84964634724.jpeg

Routes 15, 42 and 104 had detour notices posted:

• Route 42 (East)
    Route 42 eastbound, 15 eastbound, 104 eastbound on detour between Derry/Tomken and Derry/Columbus due to road closure/collision. South on Tomken to left on Midway to left on Columbus to right on Derry to normal.
  • Route 42 (West)
    15 westbound, 42 westbound, 104 westbound on detour between Derry/Cardiff and Derry/Tomken due to road closure/collision. Turn right on Cardiff to left on Tomken to Derry.

Meanwhile there were also several routes (1 DUNDAS, 3 BLOOR, 19 HURONTARIO, 26 BURNHAMTHORPE, 35 EGLINTON, 42 DERRY, 61 MAVIS, 101 DUNDAS EXPRESS, 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS) that had this message posted:

Some trips may not be available. Please check www.miway.ca for real time information. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Anyone know what was going on?  I definitely noticed the lack of 35s at the tail end of rush hour tonight.  I don't think there's a common denominator among the routes affected aside from the garage allocation.  Almost as bad as when the iBus system went down a few weeks ago and a lot of scheduling went out the window!

18 hours ago, Gil said:

Meanwhile there were also several routes (1 DUNDAS, 3 BLOOR, 19 HURONTARIO, 26 BURNHAMTHORPE, 35 EGLINTON, 42 DERRY, 61 MAVIS, 101 DUNDAS EXPRESS, 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS) that had this message posted:

Some trips may not be available. Please check www.miway.ca for real time information. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Anyone know what was going on?  I definitely noticed the lack of 35s at the tail end of rush hour tonight.  I don't think there's a common denominator among the routes affected aside from the garage allocation.  Almost as bad as when the iBus system went down a few weeks ago and a lot of scheduling went out the window!

I can only assume that trips were cancelled because of no operator available to fill the work. 

Yesterday around 6PM there were 16 blocks with no bus tracking on them. Granted some may have not been tracking for other reasons, but I wouldn't doubt that a good deal of them were missing for the reason listed above. 

As it stands there are currently 9 blocks not tracking. 

Likewise on Fridays there have been quite a few Fridays since September where there have been a great deal of buses not tracking. 

4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

seems no MiWay buses are tracking on Transitt55 or Transsee this morning.

3 hours ago, transitfan100 said:

down since 11:35pm last night

Trapeze update perhaps.

The app I have for miWay shows a different schedule than the one posted at Islington or the website. The app said Sunday 3 was due at 4:45 while the schedule said 5 pm or 4:38, yet the bus arrived at 5:08. These days I have an 98% chance of not catching a 3 at the schedule posted time regardless the time of the day or the day of the week. In the past the 3 left 2 minutes ahead of schedule.

I saw a white 109 bus, not once, but 3 times in a row. Seeing one would be par, but 3 in a row on Sunday is new.

Shot 1905 on 3 this week as I was walking to Sq One. and the first time seeing one

49249806212_8bd76324c3_b.jpg

• Like 2

On December 22, 2019 at 9:14 AM, transitfan100 said:

down since 11:35pm last night

On December 22, 2019 at 8:41 AM, soo8513 said:

seems no MiWay buses are tracking on Transitt55 or Transsee this morning.

On December 22, 2019 at 1:06 PM, TTC 9701 said:

Trapeze update perhaps.

Now that I think about the last time it went down it was around the same time in November. If it's a scheduled update, it seems odd to do it during the day.  The outage on November 22 from the chatter from dispatch was the iBus system going down. Drivers were having to radio their positions and when they were going into and out of service.

Dispatch was also pleading with drivers to follow their manual run guides to stay on schedule. I happened to be on one bus where the driver was essentially speeding along the route if the bus couldn't be tracked there'd be no penalty. Eventually someone figured out how to manually sign into the iBus system. How long it took to disseminate that information probably explains why a lot of buses were still not connected past midnight. (First image is a screenshot from 9pm the second from 1am)

Have they become so reliant on technology that drivers can't figure out how to pace themselves on their routes without a display? It's not like it's the first time they've ever driven those routes. I guess it's a little trickier if you don't wear a watch to gauge your time!

IMG_20191122_210237.png

IMG_20191123_005949.png