Jump to content

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Nice looking rendering of the LRT.

I was surprised they're doing the huge flyover bridge for the LRT over Hwy 403. Looks really nice though.

https://www.blogto.com/city/2019/10/new-lrt-brampton-and-mississauga-will-look/

They are doing the flyover so the LRT doesn't interfere with traffic getting to/from the 403 as well doing a T connection. Unless things have change, the flyover will go over Hurnontario Southbound lanes on the north side of 403 and slop to Kingsbridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2019 at 11:34 AM, drum118 said:

They are doing the flyover so the LRT doesn't interfere with traffic getting to/from the 403 as well doing a T connection. Unless things have change, the flyover will go over Hurnontario Southbound lanes on the north side of 403 and slop to Kingsbridge.

I still don't understand why they made the flyover, wouldn't that cost more money than to just build the city centre loop as originally planned?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikenoza said:

I still don't understand why they made the flyover, wouldn't that cost more money than to just build the city centre loop as originally planned?

The loop is a waste of money along with extra travel time for most riders, as well transferring one section to the other, considering not everyone is go to the mall in the first place. The 19's added 13 minutes to my travel time compare to using the 103 and the loop will do the same thing, if not more.

The flyover deals with the issue how to get on/off Hurontario as well not having traffic interfere with the quality of service for the LRT. You have to build a new bridge over the 403 in the first place and adding the other sections is a wise move even though it will add to the cost of the line.

The line should be 100% on Hurnontario with a new Transit Terminal next to it to support 150,000 daily riders. The BRT section could be underground as original plan that will speed service up for all buses that use the current Transitway. This will allow riders a faster trip to/from Cooksville GO Station and Dundas from the north to allow riders to leave their car at home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, soo8513 said:

lots of confusion and delays - Islington Station bus bay closures + re-paving of South Common Bus Terminal

I just completely avoid Islington since I already know that area is a completely zoo with the construction there. The only way i step foot around there is during the off peak periods.

I was waiting for the day where the bus bays would be forced to closed for years now due to it's crumbling nature, and that day has finally come (albeit just for a few months for now).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, lip said:

I was waiting for the day where the bus bays would be forced to closed for years now due to it's crumbling nature, and that day has finally come (albeit just for a few months for now).

Heck the buses were trying to close the bays off themselves lol. First that 08 that slid into the wall, then the 17 that tried to set fire to the structure...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, soo8513 said:

I see the new NOVA Hybrids get the weekends off with the ORION Hybrids. I assume the 1901s are at CX garage

It remains to be seen how the final allocation will play out with only 4 in service and a lot of drivers still to be qualified on them, one of the main limiting factors right now. At least one of the Nova hybrids (1901) was operating out of CP the first week or two. 

With the Nova hybrids slowly entering service more 2003 D40LFs have been removed from service. 0309, 0311, 0328, 0331, 0339 have been retired. There will be a few more retired by year end and 24 2003 D40LFs will remain in service until 2021.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Oddity today; On both Transit55 and Transsee route 57 doesn't appear on trackers yet others do: 13, 45, 48, 90.

The route 57 is the only route with this problem. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but the GTFS-Real Time trip IDs that route 57 buses are putting out do not match the trip IDs for the 57 in the static GTFS file for this board period. Transit55 and TransSee reference the static GTFS file, whereas your typical prediction apps simply rely on the GTFS Real Time output. 

The 57s are putting out trip IDs through Real Time beginning in 190xxxxx, whereas every other route is putting out trip IDs beginning with 187xxxxx. Indeed in the GTFS static file for this BP all weekday service trip IDs begin with 187xxxxx, including the 57.

 

I'm going to reach out to MiWay tonight and hopefully this issue can be resolved quickly enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/3/2019 at 4:37 AM, Silly Tilley said:

It remains to be seen how the final allocation will play out with only 4 in service and a lot of drivers still to be qualified on them, one of the main limiting factors right now. At least one of the Nova hybrids (1901) was operating out of CP the first week or two. 

With the Nova hybrids slowly entering service more 2003 D40LFs have been removed from service. 0309, 0311, 0328, 0331, 0339 have been retired. There will be a few more retired by year end and 24 2003 D40LFs will remain in service until 2021.

I wonder why it's taking them so long to retire all the 2003 D40LFs, they've been here since 2003! Longest buses in service for MiWay. I thought they'd retire in 2018... Yes I know there's other cities that keep buses for double that time but still...

I've heard people complain about the noise and pollution it makes, and I can kind of side with them. They're very loud when they pass by, I could hear them from blocks away or in a building.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mikenoza said:

I wonder why it's taking them so long to retire all the 2003 D40LFs, they've been here since 2003! Longest buses in service for MiWay. I thought they'd retire in 2018... Yes I know there's other cities that keep buses for double that time but still...

I've heard people complain about the noise and pollution it makes, and I can kind of side with them. They're very loud when they pass by, I could hear them from blocks away or in a building.

They're no louder than the 05/06 counterparts. You sure you didn't hear those and mixed them up?c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Orion V said:

They're no louder than the 05/06 counterparts. You sure you didn't hear those and mixed them up?c

That's also true, those buses are very loud. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mikenoza said:

I wonder why it's taking them so long to retire all the 2003 D40LFs, they've been here since 2003! Longest buses in service for MiWay. I thought they'd retire in 2018... Yes I know there's other cities that keep buses for double that time but still...

I've heard people complain about the noise and pollution it makes, and I can kind of side with them. They're very loud when they pass by, I could hear them from blocks away or in a building.

How many NEW buses have been bought to replace them in the last 2 years as well for expansion??? How many are on order for 2020 at this time???

If one listen closely, you can hear a bus behind you, regardless if it is an Orion, NovaBus or NFI. Some have a higher pitch than others, regardless who made they.

All buses pollute and more so by age. One reason for moving to E Buses, but they cause issues as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know when the southbound bus stop at John St was close, but it was open the last time I was down there last week. With the closure and getting off at Hillcrest, Riders catching a GO bus or Train at Cooksville GO Station will have an shorter walk to the station than going northbound as the east entrance to the station is officially close until summer of 2020 when the east platform is rebuilt.

The west platform goes into service on Monday and over 2 dozen workers working on it Sunday to get it ready. The whole platform has been shifted to the west by 2 car lengths and have temporary 10/12 car stop post on the platform.

ML has stated riders need to add an extra 15 minute to their travel time if using 103 or 19 with the longer walking distance. I time my walk to John St from the level 1 at the north station area and it was an 8 minute walk. Couldn't gain access to the platform to do a full travel time and will have a look at it Tuesday night.

Those who rail fan, that overpass bridge will be a great place to shoot from as I caught a westbound with 3 units on it from the 4 level by the elevators. They just started working on the elevators for the overpass and it will be about spring/summer before they are working.

It will be a few weeks before I get around to fixing these shots that are part of the 70 I shot Sunday

49046137807_a184fdc8f8_b.jpg49046139567_c3f1e44b21_b.jpg49045925481_e80f235480_b.jpg49045928281_6d690e23ef_b.jpg49045427978_b6e7efd96e_b.jpg49045930441_fb5ff7986e_b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We (the taxpayers of Mississauga) can't afford to buy 50 buses a year … that would sustain an eight-year renewal.  I rode 0563, 1031, and 1747 today. All three were warm, safe, and ontime. I don't think any appeared in disrepair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like 25 buses for 2020 and close to 100 in 2021, depending on size. 2022-2024 should bring all the buses back to 15 year cycle, along with expansion. It will be interesting to see any E buses for some of the buses yearly.

12 year renewal should be the way.

2020 Budget and need more service hours, especially for weekends

https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/budget/2019/Item_7.1_Service_Area_Presentations.pdf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, drum118 said:

Looks like 25 buses for 2020 and close to 100 in 2021, depending on size. 2022-2024 should bring all the buses back to 15 year cycle, along with expansion. It will be interesting to see any E buses for some of the buses yearly.

12 year renewal should be the way.

2020 Budget and need more service hours, especially for weekends

https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/budget/2019/Item_7.1_Service_Area_Presentations.pdf

I had been trying to access the City's Budget page earlier and got an error message as they were in the process of updating it.  I know there was some discussion of increasing weekend service.  I was looking to try out the Sunday service on the 68 TERRY FOX as it's a quicker scheduled trip into City Centre vs. the 10 BRISTOL even with a 5 min. walk to the nearest stop.  I was surprised to find it essentially only runs between 9am and 5pm!  Seeing as they weren't originally supposed to have Sunday service upon launch, I guess it's something.  Hopefully it'll get some additional hours next year, at least until 7pm or 8pm.

I wonder if the rerouting of the 39 BRITANNIA to the new Churchill Meadows Community Centre (I really hope they have some sort of quantifier on Churchill Meadows, despite its length, as there are other potential options with the same name: Blvd. and library.  Don't even get me started on "Meadowvale"!) next year and away from mostly residential streets will allow it to get 24 hour service? 

I'd be happy with even later service on the weekend into northwestern Mississauga.  Came from a friend's party in Port Credit catching the penultimate 19 HURONTARIO on a Saturday night and the only option aside from a cab was to take GO Transit (which still ran 30 minute service at 1am) from Square One to Streetsville and then walk the rest of the way.  Thankfully it's a relatively cheap trip on GO and I got the co-fare discount for transferring onto GO.  There were also a few people on the 19 who were also expecting either the 34 CREDIT VALLEY, 61 MAVIS or 66 McLAUGHLIN to still be running past 12:30am.  A daily skeleton service at least until last call if we don't want to go 24 hours on more routes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Gil said:

I had been trying to access the City's Budget page earlier and got an error message as they were in the process of updating it.  I know there was some discussion of increasing weekend service.  I was looking to try out the Sunday service on the 68 TERRY FOX as it's a quicker scheduled trip into City Centre vs. the 10 BRISTOL even with a 5 min. walk to the nearest stop.  I was surprised to find it essentially only runs between 9am and 5pm!  Seeing as they weren't originally supposed to have Sunday service upon launch, I guess it's something.  Hopefully it'll get some additional hours next year, at least until 7pm or 8pm.

I wonder if the rerouting of the 39 BRITANNIA to the new Churchill Meadows Community Centre (I really hope they have some sort of quantifier on Churchill Meadows, despite its length, as there are other potential options with the same name: Blvd. and library.  Don't even get me started on "Meadowvale"!) next year and away from mostly residential streets will allow it to get 24 hour service? 

I'd be happy with even later service on the weekend into northwestern Mississauga.  Came from a friend's party in Port Credit catching the penultimate 19 HURONTARIO on a Saturday night and the only option aside from a cab was to take GO Transit (which still ran 30 minute service at 1am) from Square One to Streetsville and then walk the rest of the way.  Thankfully it's a relatively cheap trip on GO and I got the co-fare discount for transferring onto GO.  There were also a few people on the 19 who were also expecting either the 34 CREDIT VALLEY, 61 MAVIS or 66 McLAUGHLIN to still be running past 12:30am.  A daily skeleton service at least until last call if we don't want to go 24 hours on more routes.

The city still doesn't get it for weekend or late night service. Don't drink and drive can't be done in Mississauga unless using a cab or a friend as transit will never do it for most ppl.

They are going from 99,808 to 103,626 while keeping at 6% service hours for Sunday and 139,228 to 144,954 for Sat at 9%. Do the math for 52 weeks to see how many hours are being added for a day and then divide it by the number of routes to see what it really being added. Quick take for Sunday without calculating is an extra 500 hours or 50 hrs/hrs base on 10 hrs of service.

If you are going to a grid system, routes should be longer compare to the past and 39 is one of those routes.

My take that is there isn't going to be much more or anymore 24 hr routes in 2020.

The city has talked the good transit talk for over 15 years, but can't put in the money to backup the talk.

Until you get rid of most of the councilor who been around 20-30 years, its the horse and buggy folks who don't want you out late or partying. The mayor speaks from both side of her mouth at the same time talking transit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...