I presume the 2020 plan for the 50 is to kill off the 90.

As for fares my preference would be to reduce across the board but, as that isn't going to happen I would have preferred cash to go to $4 or $5 and PRESTO remain unchanged or 10c lower.

13 hours ago, mikenoza said:

Adding to my question, when are the 2019 LFS HEVs entering service? I haven’t seen any confirmation lately. 

No specific mention of it (it may have been budgeted in earlier years), but they did mention that they were looking towards electrifying the fleet and the various capital expenses that would entail.  They are also looking at trying out some hydrogen-fueled buses as well!

57 minutes ago, soo8513 said:

I presume the 2020 plan for the 50 is to kill off the 90.

As for fares my preference would be to reduce across the board but, as that isn't going to happen I would have preferred cash to go to $4 or $5 and PRESTO remain unchanged or 10c lower.

That's what's listed for 2020 ("Completing the Network"):

Route

Change

1/1A Dundas Revised Routing
5 Dixie  Revised Routing
7 Airport  Revised Routing to Integrate with the Mississauga Transitway
8 Cawthra Improved Service Frequency and Revised Routing to Integrate with the Mississauga Transitway
13 Glen Erin Revised Routing
14 Lorne Park - Mineola Revised Routing and Improved Service Frequency
20 Rathburn Improved Service Frequency and Revised Routing to Integrate with the Mississauga Transitway
24 Northwest Cancelled - Replaced by New/Existing Service
34 Credit Valley Cancelled - Replaced by New/Existing Service
35 Eglinton Revised Routing to Integrate with the Mississauga Transitway
39 Britannia-Matheson Revised Routing
49 McDowell-Streetsville GO Revised Routing
50/50A Lisgar-Churchill Meadows New Local Route to Integrate with the Mississauga Transitway
51/51A Tomken Improved Service Frequency and Revised Routing
90 Terragar-Copenhagen Loop Cancelled - Replaced by New/Existing Service
185 Dixie Revised Routing, Improved Service Frequency and New Saturday Service

I've also noticed a few discrepancies in terms of the fare increases between MiWay's site and the information on the City's Budget website.  As I mentioned they could very well be typos, but which one is correct?

Seniors' $1 Cash Fare: starting at 8:30am (MiWay) or 9:30am (City)

Tickets being accepted until: Dec. 31 (MiWay) or Dec. 21 (City)

On 2/8/2019 at 8:10 PM, Gil said:

Every time I've been able to catch the 7:45pm  39 BRITANNIA from Renforth Station this week it never appears on MiWay's site in Real Time and appears on Transit55 as a "ghost bus" (see attached). The stop announcements are never made, so I assume they're all tied to the GPS on the bus.

Each bus I've caught on this trip this week has been one of the 2006s. Have they had their units pre-emptively removed since they're nearing retirement?

IMG_20190208_195857.png

Those 2 blocks haven't tracked since the start of this board period at the beginning of January, could be due to incorrect GTFS data. A bus won't have any equipment removed if it is still active and the 2006 buses are not close to retirement.

18 hours ago, soo8513 said:

When did the time period for $1 senior cash fare change to 8:30 - 3:30. Wasn't it 9:30 when the program started?

14 hours ago, Gil said:

Paper tickets will no longer be sold as of May 1, but they will still be accepted until December 21.

It still starts at 9:30am.  The change to 8:30am start will kick in along with the other fare changes on May 1.  Though it may just as well be a typo as the newly passed Budget documentation still says 9:30am.  MiWay did tweet a summary of the changes, which would keep it in line with the TTC's proposed fare increases (at least with the Adult PRESTO fare).

View image on Twitter

A quick skim through the Business Plan and Budget (Transit starts on page 176) has MiWay planning to add an additional 31,000 hours of service with an additional 9,800 hours allocated for work on the Hurontario LRT.  Saturday service has plateaued at 65% percent of the weekday network, with Sunday service catching up to Saturday service by 2020 (so I assume the 68 TERRY FOX will be a trial period of Monday to Saturday before eventually adding Sunday service next year?).  There's also money set aside for a bus loop at the new Churchill Meadows Community Centre which is slated to open later this year.  It's on a segment of Ninth Line (just south of Tacc Dr.) that currently sees no transit service, so I'm guessing they're going to tweak a route or two which will slightly modify the final years of the MiWay5 Plan.  Strangely the area did have service when the 41 THOMAS was first introduced in 2008.

Looking at the Proposed 2020 system map, extending the 9 RATHBURN-THOMAS all the way to Ninth Line from Thomas to Eglinton before eventually heading to Winston Churchill station would eliminate the duplication of service along Churchill Meadows with the new 50 LISGAR-CHURCHILL MEADOWS (that's a really long route name!), plus it would mean the people living at Ninth Line and Eglinton wouldn't lose service.  I'm still not a fan of trying to feed as many routes into the Transitway stations if it means there are gaps in the network (Rathburn and Ponytrail being my personal pet peeve about the plan).  Leave the 35 EGLINTON on Eglinton to Ninth Line (or up even to the new community centre) and reroute the 36 COLONIAL-RIDGEWAY straight up Colonial to Unity, down Loyalist, then WEST on Burnhamthorpe to Ridgeway north to Eglinton (or Aquinas) and then Winston Churchill Station.  It'd save having to make that left hand turn into the station off Winston Churchill coming from the south!

The change to 8:30 is effective with the May 1 fare changes. This was part of a motion put forward by Carolyn Parrish and passed by council. Some councillors wanted to make the $1 senior fare valid at all times of the day but there weren't enough votes to do that due to the budget impact.

14 hours ago, mikenoza said:

At winston churchill station, why didn't they install a ramp from where the loop is to highway 407/403? it saves time for westbound GO buses going out of the station, and could possibly allow some service to integrate/move to WC instead of the busy Erin mills station, that can get crowded sometimes with the lots of buses/people

The original plan for the transitway called for a station at Ridgeway but this was one of the many elements that were eliminated from the final design to cut costs. However there are currently proposals by Metrolinx to build a ramp directly from Winston Churchill Station connecting to the westbound 407.

14 hours ago, mikenoza said:

Adding to my question, when are the 2019 LFS HEVs entering service? I haven’t seen any confirmation lately. 

Delivery is currently scheduled for September but it will probably take some time to enter service. Even though they will have BAE HybriDrive like the Orions do all the additional electric accessories and updated components will require additional training and testing.

16 minutes ago, Gil said:

No specific mention of it (it may have been budgeted in earlier years), but they did mention that they were looking towards electrifying the fleet and the various capital expenses that would entail.  They are also looking at trying out some hydrogen-fueled buses as well!

The hydrogen bus trial is conditional on MiWay securing additional funding to offset the city's portion of capital costs in the trial. Originally MiWay was going to apply to the Ontario Municipal GHG challenge fund for funding but that program was cancelled when the provincial government cancelled cap and trade. As of right now it is uncertain if the trial will still go ahead. 

They seem to have changed the format of the Service Changes page, presumably so that a separate Accessible Version is no longer required.  That means there is no longer anything that can be downloaded to capture the changes.  So for posterity's sake I'll post them here. 

The first realigned segment of the Six Point intersection also opened yesterday with traffic using the new Dundas alignment instead of the existing overpasses, which will be removed in March.  Will MiWay continue to use Aukland for the 20 RATHBURN and 26 BURNHAMTHORPE to access Kipling or will they begin turning directly onto Kipling itself?  I'm thinking they'll stick to the current routing (for one, they haven't mentioned that the routes would change) as anyone trying to catch them from Kipling station (TTC or GO) would be bypassed.  Still curious as to which routes will continue to serve Islington (at least that was the plan at a few PICs) after the move to Kipling.  With more routes planned to be turned back before reaching the Toronto border (20 RATHBURN, 35 EGLINTON) there may not be enough to make it viable without arranging some sort of transfer agreement at the new Kipling Hub with the TTC.

Service Change Icon

Service Changes

MiWay Five

The MiWay Five Transit Service Plan will deliver 10 benefits to customers that will be implemented through planned service changes every 6 to 8 weeks.

Service Changes Effective February 25, 2019

Below are schedule and routing changes that will take effect on February 25, 2019. Check for updated schedules at miway.ca/planatrip.

1 - Dundas

Weekday service will have revised schedules

3 - Bloor

Stop #1403: Weekday 12:33 am, 1:16 am and 1:54 am eastbound trips from the City Centre Terminal will depart at 12:34 am, 1:17 am and 1:55 am

7 - Airport

Revised southbound weekday schedules between 5:00 am and 6:30 am.

8 - Cawthra

Stop #0597: Weekday 7:52 am southbound school trip from the City Centre Terminal will depart at 7:47 am to arrive at Cawthra Rd/Arbor Rd (Stop #0366) at 8:15 am.

9 - Rathburn-Thomas

Weekday schedules have been revised to meet GO Trains schedules.

20 - Rathburn

Weekday service will have revised schedules.

Bus Stop Change

Removed:
  • #1395 - Burnhamthorpe Rd east of Fleetwood Park
  • #1551 - Burnhamthorpe Rd west of Mill Rd
Alternate stops:
  • East - #1393 Burnhamthorpe Rd east of Ponytrail Dr
  • West - #1309 Burnhamthorpe Rd at Mill Rd

23 - Lakeshore

Extended eastbound weekday trip, starting now at Clarkson GO at 1:23am.

26 - Burnhamthorpe

Stop #1552: New 3:12 pm westbound weekday school trip starting from Burnhamthorpe Rd/Ponytrail Dr

Bus Stop Change

Removed:
Alternate stops:

28 - Confederation

Weekday trip adjustments to improve connections from Route 26-Burnhamthorpe at Burnhamthorpe Rd/Confederation Pky:
  • Stop #0477: 11:14 pm southbound from the City Centre Terminal  will depart at 11:16 pm
  • Stop #0562: 11:34 pm northbound from Trillium Hospital will depart at 11:36 pm

32 - Lisgar GO

34 - Credit Valley

Weekday and weekend service will have revised schedules.

36 - Colonial-Ridgeway

Stop #1073: Weekday 6:53 am, 7:17 am, 7:42 am and 8:07 am northbound trips from South Common will depart at 6:52 am, 7:16 am, 7:40 am and 8:06 am.

44 - Mississauga Road

Stop #2435: Weekday 8:41 am southbound school trip from Queen St/Barry Ave will depart at 8:34 am.

Weekday schedules have been to meet revised GO Trains schedules.

45 - Winston Churchill

Stop #0812: Weekday 9:38 pm southbound trip from Meadowvale Town Centre will depart at 9:40 pm.

48 - Erin Mills

Weekday and weekend service will have revised schedules.

49A - McDowell-Streetsville GO

51 - Tomken

76 - City Centre-Subway

Bus Stop Change

Removed:
Alternate stops:

100 - Airport Express

Now servicing stops #2904 (East) and #2905 (West) at Convair Drive.

101/101A - Dundas Express

110 - University Express

Stop #0100: Weekday 2:50 pm and 3:05 pm northbound trips from Clarkson GO Station will depart at 2:46 pm an 3:03 pm.

306 - Streetsville Secondary-Terry Fox

Stop #3231: Weekday 2:49 pm southbound trip from Joymar Dr/Tannery St will depart at 2:48 pm.

2019 Service Change Schedule

• February 25, 2019
  • April 1, 2019
  • April 29, 2019
  • July 1, 2019
  • August 5, 2019
  • September 2, 2019
  • October 28, 2019

Holiday Service

• Family Day: February 18
  • Good Friday: April 19
  • Victoria Day: May 20
  • Canada Day: July 1
  • Civic Holiday: August 5
  • Labour Day: September 2
  • Thanksgiving Day: October 14
  • Christmas Day: December 25
  • Boxing Day: December 26

Routes that will use the new Kipling Terminal will be #1, #1C, #101, #108, #3, #26, #76, #11, #109, #35 for the 10 bays they will have. All other routes that use Islington today will move to Renforth Station, except Route 20 that will connect to a Transitway station.

Route 8 will run Cawthra Transitway station to the Lakeshore straight on Cawthra and then on the Lakeshore to PC. Route 8 will be replace by X route from PC to Sherway Garden by Atwater to Ogden, that will stop at Dixie Terminal.

I've always had 2 thoughts about the MiWay5 plan for 2020.

Rt 20 will end at Tahoe and Rt 35 will end at Renforth.

Having driven both these route, I know that there are riders who want off in Toronto (local stops).  So how will Rt 20 passengers get off at stops on Burnhamthorpe going east and be picked up at stops returning west?  People shop and work at Loblaws plus other stops.  Only way I will see is to transfer at, and have to take Dixie to Burnhamthorpe. 

And then same for Rt 35 riders who want off and return back on from Dundas.  Once again, last route to go north and south from Eglinton to Dundas is Dixie.  

Both the 20 & 35 will be dumping their passengers onto the Transitway and passengers will transfer onto the 109 and ride Express to Subway.  I don't see any option for a Local service into Toronto for these passengers.

So, am I missing something? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TransferCutter said:

I've always had 2 thoughts about the MiWay5 plan for 2020.

Rt 20 will end at Tahoe and Rt 35 will end at Renforth.

Having driven both these route, I know that there are riders who want off in Toronto (local stops).  So how will Rt 20 passengers get off at stops on Burnhamthorpe going east and be picked up at stops returning west?  People shop and work at Loblaws plus other stops.  Only way I will see is to transfer at, and have to take Dixie to Burnhamthorpe. 

And then same for Rt 35 riders who want off and return back on from Dundas.  Once again, last route to go north and south from Eglinton to Dundas is Dixie.  

Both the 20 & 35 will be dumping their passengers onto the Transitway and passengers will transfer onto the 109 and ride Express to Subway.  I don't see any option for a Local service into Toronto for these passengers.

So, am I missing something? 

The issue with the 20, it will add travel time for riders as well not been able to get to/from places in Toronto. A lot of Toronto residents do shop at Mississauga NO Frills store as well others places. The thinking of miWay staff is to have riders to walk between 20 and 26/76. It not a short walk from Rathburn to Burnhamthrope to catch a 26 or 76 in a number of places. You loose time on the Presto Card doing a walking transfer. To get around this mess, have 20 loop at TTC loop. Still doing a transfer as well having Toronto residents paying an extra fare to get to/from Mississauga.

35 has been a toss up if it stays as is or terminate at Renforth. Again, how much time is lost in transferring between 35 and 109, as well will they have to stand going to Kipling at peak time.

This is what we get when you build a smaller terminal at Kipling, not the large one at the Main Gateway Terminal at Cloverdale if TTC had built the subway extension to it as requested in 2005 and 2007 by the Ward Councilors and others.

Today's snow is probably not going to make things any better, but how has service been impacted by the realignment at Six Points since it opened on Sunday?  I noticed yesterday there was an Alert notice put on all routes outbound from Islington that due to lane restrictions and the ensuing traffic backlog it created, trips could be up to 30 minutes late.  The lane restrictions will probably be in place until the two sections of Bloor are fully connected once the overpasses are torn down.

With the new Service period just starting on Monday MiWay didn't really have a way of factoring any running time changes into the schedules.  Could they adjust them mid-period or will they have to wait until the next Service Change on April 1?

Now we'll just have to see which finishes first next year, the Six Point intersection or the Kipling Bus Terminal.

On 2/26/2019 at 2:24 PM, drum118 said:

The issue with the 20, it will add travel time for riders as well not been able to get to/from places in Toronto. A lot of Toronto residents do shop at Mississauga NO Frills store as well others places. The thinking of miWay staff is to have riders to walk between 20 and 26/76. It not a short walk from Rathburn to Burnhamthrope to catch a 26 or 76 in a number of places. You loose time on the Presto Card doing a walking transfer. To get around this mess, have 20 loop at TTC loop. Still doing a transfer as well having Toronto residents paying an extra fare to get to/from Mississauga.

35 has been a toss up if it stays as is or terminate at Renforth. Again, how much time is lost in transferring between 35 and 109, as well will they have to stand going to Kipling at peak time.

This is what we get when you build a smaller terminal at Kipling, not the large one at the Main Gateway Terminal at Cloverdale if TTC had built the subway extension to it as requested in 2005 and 2007 by the Ward Councilors and others.

Why couldn’t the TTC extend the subway to Sherway gardens mall? Lots of people go there by car and only like idk a few TTC buses and 1 miway route go there? The area would have lots of potential for a subway

8 hours ago, mikenoza said:

Why couldn’t the TTC extend the subway to Sherway gardens mall? Lots of people go there by car and only like idk a few TTC buses and 1 miway route go there? The area would have lots of potential for a subway

Councilor Rob Ford wanted subways elsewhere than his back yard. The Ward Councilor who was Vice Chair of TTC was pushing the extension and it was voted down twice by staff and the commission for various reasons, starting in 2005.

The goal was to kick start various developments along the route as well getting miWay out of Islington and Toronto.

Don't support the subway going to Sherway nor the routing to Dixie Rd. The plan route to west of Kipling is off the table, with Metrolinx wanting 4 tracks in CP Corridor now, compare to 3 by 2011 to Milton. TTC needs another yard at this end and it will have an impact on any extension going west. The condo to the west of the station has a major impact on any extension.

Drivers are going to loose Islington once the new Kipling terminal opens in 2020. Its slated for Affordable Housing high density site once miWay moves and a new terminal is built for 3 TTC routes and the possibility of one miWay route. Last plans I saw for the new terminal was next to CP corridor and north of the current location. Its to be accessibility by 2025.

13 hours ago, mikenoza said:

Is Sherway Gardens the most logical destination in the area though? I would think that a route along Dundas towards Mississauga would make far more sense than having the line dip down to the south towards Sherway.

Of course, there's also the minor issue of the cost of such a line....

Dan

It seems there are still a few people at MiWay who don't know the 21 EXPLORER has been discontinued.  There's a BRT-related notice on today's Alerts page (along with on-and-off warnings that the Dundas corridor routes are operating from the adjacent platform at Islington) and also mention of it in the City's Budget report about Transitway services.

Route 21

No Elevator Service both Platforms at BRT Tomken. Thank you.

As for the westward expansion of the subway, Chris Bateman (who is one of the more competent contributors) wrote a piece examining the history of the project in 2013.  Plans going back to the 90's originally had the line going to Sherway Gardens with a later phase to Dixie GO.  Pressure came from Mississauga which wanted the line to stay along Dundas to try and stimulate some redevelopment along the corridor.  The new Kipling Bus Terminal had a revision in plans for an overpass connecting to the train platform instead of the original tunnel, presumably to not preclude a westward extension regardless of the final destination.

I don't know if MiWay still intends on serving Islington after Kipling opens, as it was their intention originally.  With fewer routes (say 1 Dundas and 1 Burnhamthorpe corridor route) they could get away with just serving on-street stops so that they wouldn't need to rent space in the redeveloped Islington station.  There apparently still is a strong demand to serve the offices across from Islington Station. 

1 hour ago, smallspy said:

Is Sherway Gardens the most logical destination in the area though? I would think that a route along Dundas towards Mississauga would make far more sense than having the line dip down to the south towards Sherway.

Of course, there's also the minor issue of the cost of such a line....

Dan

^In an ideal world, it would be great to have the subway reach Sherway so we can put a partial end to politically motivated, non-logical subway extensions to far flung areas which are outside of Toronto proper. The problem with extending the subway along Dundas, is that there would be constant political pressuring by the next Bozo the Clown premier, MP, etc. to extend the subway all the way to Square One.

By making the subway dip down and terminate at Sherway, it all but negates that potential and discussion.

16 hours ago, mikenoza said:

Like Fairview Mall making the Sheppard subway a roaring success?

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

People are fixated on Sherway because the railway lines go kind of there, and therefore building the subway would be 'easy'.

Sherway is just a bunch of big box stores, and to the west it's bounded by Etobicoke Creek, and to the south by the QEW. To the east is the 427. While some condos have gone in at Evans and West Mall, Sherway is a horrible destination for the subway. While I would personally benefit if it was extended there, it's not something I want to see money wasted on.

16 hours ago, mikenoza said:

💰💸

4 hours ago, Ed T. said:

Sherway is just a bunch of big box stores, and to the west it's bounded by Etobicoke Creek, and to the south by the QEW. To the east is the 427. While some condos have gone in at Evans and West Mall, Sherway is a horrible destination for the subway. While I would personally benefit if it was extended there, it's not something I want to see money wasted on.

Only problem is, that when you look at the city's secondary plan for the entire big box store area that surrounds Sherway, they are planning massive redevelopment around the entire thing. We've already done one massively wasteful subway extension to hydro fields and big box, why not one more.

Besides, it's not like an extension along Dundas to Dixie would be particularly justifiable either (with the exception of getting the subway to Highway 427/Cloverdale).

2 hours ago, lip said:

Only problem is, that when you look at the city's secondary plan for the entire big box store area that surrounds Sherway, they are planning massive redevelopment around the entire thing. We've already done one massively wasteful subway extension to hydro fields and big box, why not one more.

Besides, it's not like an extension along Dundas to Dixie would be particularly justifiable either (with the exception of getting the subway to Highway 427/Cloverdale).

If Dundas was redevelop from 427 to Dixie let alone to Hurontario, the development would out strip Sherway 3 to one. I am on record with council calling for 300,000 living, working and playing in the 427-Dixie area. This would support a subway down the road easy. That area been a blight since I first moved to the city and still is. All of Dundas meeds to be torn down and rebuilt.

There is nothing stopping the line to be split at Cloverdale with the line going south to Sherway and down Browns Line at some stage down the road, but after 2050.

As a note, March 8-12 will see Kipling close north of the new Dundas St Rd to allow the removal of the existing bridges 100%.

All miWay routes out of Islington will be 100% effected with longer travel time on top what taking place today. All TTC buses using Kipling going north will be on detour as well coming south Auckland will be a parking lot during this time frame. Expect traffic lights not working during the closure at Bloor/Kipling to keep traffic moving since there is only one way to go in either direction.

Its my understanding both the current Bloor and Kipling roads will be raise at least 4 feet to remove the current dip and to match the raised Kipling road at the new Dundas intersection. You can see that new elevation today. At some point, Bloor will have to be close to allow the southbound lanes to be raise as well Bloor. The northbound will be raise first, with single lane traffic in the southbound. This will screw up 20 and 26 100%

15 hours ago, lip said:

^In an ideal world, it would be great to have the subway reach Sherway so we can put a partial end to politically motivated, non-logical subway extensions to far flung areas which are outside of Toronto proper. The problem with extending the subway along Dundas, is that there would be constant political pressuring by the next Bozo the Clown premier, MP, etc. to extend the subway all the way to Square One.

By making the subway dip down and terminate at Sherway, it all but negates that potential and discussion.

Are you kidding me?!? That makes it worse. There's no partial anything with an extension to Sherway, except for ridership.

The total ridership that would benefit from a line to Sherway is miniscule compared to what would benefit from a shorter bus ride along Dundas. Don't believe me? Count the buses on there at rush hour. Count the cars parking at Kipling Station.

Sherway is a logical dead-end - there will never be a reason to extend it past there. There is already ridership on Dundas which will help support a subway, and the ridership is more likely to grow along that length. So why would you ignore that?

Unless you're all for drawing lines on a map, rather than building transit where it actually needs to go....

Dan

10 hours ago, drum118 said:

As a note, March 8-12 will see Kipling close north of the new Dundas St Rd to allow the removal of the existing bridges 100%.

All miWay routes out of Islington will be 100% effected with longer travel time on top what taking place today. All TTC buses using Kipling going north will be on detour as well coming south Auckland will be a parking lot during this time frame. Expect traffic lights not working during the closure at Bloor/Kipling to keep traffic moving since there is only one way to go in either direction.

Its my understanding both the current Bloor and Kipling roads will be raise at least 4 feet to remove the current dip and to match the raised Kipling road at the new Dundas intersection. You can see that new elevation today. At some point, Bloor will have to be close to allow the southbound lanes to be raise as well Bloor. The northbound will be raise first, with single lane traffic in the southbound. This will screw up 20 and 26 100%

The regrading of the Bloor and Kipling intersection isn't mentioned in the staging schedule on the Six Points website aside from some generic realignment and reconstruction which is slated to wrap up this summer.  If the weather holds, they've tried to minimize the blockage by doing it over a March Break weekend (Friday 7PM to Tuesday 5AM).  I don't know if they're using the same technique when they had to remove overpasses on the 401 to speed up the process.  If they are, then the extra days are probably to rip out the concrete supports to the overpasses so that they can clear a path for Bloor to be reconnected.

As for the subway westward into Mississauga, the City seems to be more intent on getting the Hurontario Light Rail going than getting a subway extension.  The segment between Hurontario and Kipling is essentially duplicated by the Milton Line (if Metrolinx can ever manage to get additional rail service on the corridor).  A subway extension to Square One doesn't really have a clear alignment without either going through residential areas in Mississauga Valley or duplicating (and disrupting) service along Hurontario regardless of whether they follow the rail corridor or Dundas.

Depending on how the Dundas Connects project plays itself out, it wouldn't be unreasonable to eventually see LRT at some point.  I'm not sure if they've still left some provision for it in the new Kipling Terminal.  Right now they're proposing VIVA-style BRT, hopefully with the provision for a future upgrade to LRT.  It'd be interesting to see between MiWay, Züm and VIVA which BRT network gets converted to LRT first (if that is a possibility).  MiWay will definitely have the advantage of having an existing light rail line to connect to.  It's just that an interchange between LRT and the BRT corridor which extends to Burlington might be tricky to place.  UTM perhaps?

9 hours ago, smallspy said:

Are you kidding me?!? That makes it worse. There's no partial anything with an extension to Sherway, except for ridership.

The total ridership that would benefit from a line to Sherway is miniscule compared to what would benefit from a shorter bus ride along Dundas. Don't believe me? Count the buses on there at rush hour. Count the cars parking at Kipling Station.

Sherway is a logical dead-end - there will never be a reason to extend it past there. There is already ridership on Dundas which will help support a subway, and the ridership is more likely to grow along that length. So why would you ignore that?

Dan

That's exactly why i suggested the subway terminates at Sherway, as a way to partially end the politically motivated subway extensions to at least one end of the city. Sherway would be a dead-end, and would kill off any talk of extending the subway deep into another outer Toronto suburb. There is a bigger benefit of getting the subway over to Cloverdale/427 without a question, but after that point there comes a point in time where the GO Train becomes a far more efficient use of resources when one is commuting into the city from Mississauga.

Extending the subway into Mississauga just opens up a whole other can of worms that we dont need right now; of which includes the exorbitant costs of ultimately getting the subway all the way to Square One which is what some politicians would find any excuse to do, no matter the cost.

On 3/1/2019 at 8:34 AM, smallspy said:

Exactly. Not only is Sherway a dead end for the subway, it's not at all suited to be a major bus terminal either.

14 hours ago, lip said:

That's exactly why i suggested the subway terminates at Sherway, as a way to partially end the politically motivated subway extensions to at least one end of the city. Sherway would be a dead-end, and would kill off any talk of extending the subway deep into another outer Toronto suburb. There is a bigger benefit of getting the subway over to Cloverdale/427 without a question, but after that point there comes a point in time where the GO Train becomes a far more efficient use of resources when one is commuting into the city from Mississauga.

Extending the subway into Mississauga just opens up a whole other can of worms that we dont need right now; of which includes the exorbitant costs of ultimately getting the subway all the way to Square One which is what some politicians would find any excuse to do, no matter the cost.

Whatever the can of worm in extending the subway further along Dundas into Mississauga, at least it's actually improving the transit grid. Sherway does none of that. Might as well leave Kipling as the terminus, then.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:38 PM, Gil said:

The regrading of the Bloor and Kipling intersection isn't mentioned in the staging schedule on the Six Points website aside from some generic realignment and reconstruction which is slated to wrap up this summer.  If the weather holds, they've tried to minimize the blockage by doing it over a March Break weekend (Friday 7PM to Tuesday 5AM).  I don't know if they're using the same technique when they had to remove overpasses on the 401 to speed up the process.  If they are, then the extra days are probably to rip out the concrete supports to the overpasses so that they can clear a path for Bloor to be reconnected.

As for the subway westward into Mississauga, the City seems to be more intent on getting the Hurontario Light Rail going than getting a subway extension.  The segment between Hurontario and Kipling is essentially duplicated by the Milton Line (if Metrolinx can ever manage to get additional rail service on the corridor).  A subway extension to Square One doesn't really have a clear alignment without either going through residential areas in Mississauga Valley or duplicating (and disrupting) service along Hurontario regardless of whether they follow the rail corridor or Dundas.

Depending on how the Dundas Connects project plays itself out, it wouldn't be unreasonable to eventually see LRT at some point.  I'm not sure if they've still left some provision for it in the new Kipling Terminal.  Right now they're proposing VIVA-style BRT, hopefully with the provision for a future upgrade to LRT.  It'd be interesting to see between MiWay, Züm and VIVA which BRT network gets converted to LRT first (if that is a possibility).  MiWay will definitely have the advantage of having an existing light rail line to connect to.  It's just that an interchange between LRT and the BRT corridor which extends to Burlington might be tricky to place.  UTM perhaps?

Speaking of Dundas, it's highly unlikely there'd be a BRT to Hurontario from Burlington as Halton Region pulled funding for a BRT in favour of putting a bridge over Bronte Creek to extend Wyecroft Road.

But in terms of Miway/Mississauga, just focus on the LRT then other high-priority transit projects sprout out from it.

2 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Speaking of Dundas, it's highly unlikely there'd be a BRT to Hurontaro from Burlington as Jalton Region pulled funding for a BRT in favour of putting a bridge over Bronte Creek to extend Wyecroft Road.

But in terms of Miway/Mississauga, just focus on the LRT then other high-priority transit projects sprout out from it.

Weren’t they supposed to start actually build the LRT by 2018? It’s 2019 and only a few utilities have been moved