I received an Email from The Supervisor at transit Maintance at MiWay regards to 1796, this is what he sent me:

" The Bus is under investigation as for the reason it caught fire. It's too early in the investigation as to the outcome of this bus"

11 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Will 1796 be retired or rebuilt? Perhaps will delay retirement of one of the few remaining 0851s.

Since it is under warranty, it's highly likely that it will come back. They'll probably have to build a new tail section for it since the one that's on it at present is pretty much destroyed.

9 hours ago, Chris W said:

Since it is under warranty, it's highly likely that it will come back. They'll probably have to build a new tail section for it since the one that's on it at present is pretty much destroyed.

You're assuming that the fire is somehow related to a warrantable item - it may not be.

In any case, this was a three-quarters of a million dollar vehicle that has spent far less than a tenth of life cycle in use. It almost certainly will be back.

Dan

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

You're assuming that the fire is somehow related to a warrantable item - it may not be.

In any case, this was a three-quarters of a million dollar vehicle that has spent far less than a tenth of life cycle in use. It almost certainly will be back.

Dan

It could just be the sign of a recall. It will be back on the road for sure. Bus repair shops work wonders.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happy Power said:

i am hyped about 100 airport express but sad that the portion of the 21 is cut from cctt-dixie stn and renumbered to 74

• Like 1

MiWay 5 Information Sessions

ei?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpix.upaknee.com%2Fedit
We will be hosting public information sessions about our 2019 service plan from Nov. 24 to Dec. 1. The 2019 service changes are part of the fourth year of the MiWay 5 service plan (2016 to 2020).

If you can’t attend in person and would like to provide your feedback online you can do so through MiVoice – MiWay’s online forum! Sign up today and you’ll be notified when the survey is available.
=============================================================================================================================================================
Lets see some more screw ups and lack of service
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2018 at 2:15 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

I mean, technically he is somewhat right, 0336 had retired this week along with 0308 and some fire victims. 

-Not so sure about the Nova situation.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, TransitfanJW said:

The only 03s that I can 100% confirm are retired are 0308 and 0336. The others are still "Active" for the time being.

The above posters may want to consider where they're getting their information considering 0336 has been in service the past 2 days, meaning the claims of retirement are inaccurate. https://transit55.ca/mississauga/bus/336

It is important to note that a bus being MIA for a extended period of time doesn't really indicate anything, it could just be waiting it's turn in the body shop or for parts that require a long lead time. For example 0312 hasn't tracked since August 24 yet is on hold for body work. Unless the bus has actually had plates, farebox, etc. removed it cannot be assumed it is retired.

That said, the following 2003 D40LF buses have been retired (plates and other equipment removed):

0308, 0314, 0321, 0333, 0335, 0337, 0343

Expect around 5 more 2003 D40LF buses to be retired this year. Another 10 will retire next year when the 10 hybrid buses are delivered. The remaining 20 or so should hang on until 2020.

• Thanks 5

On 10/15/2018 at 4:24 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

Knowing MiWay, I really don't think they'll fix it, it's better off buying a new bus and salvaging parts from that. A driver friend I know also said they'll probably just get another one.

If they really want to cheap out and get a new trailer for the bus...

On 10/15/2018 at 5:08 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

According to a source, about 800k. Even if it isn't written off, they might just get another one to save the hassle of repairs, like what TTC did with 1517 and 1671. But that is my assumption. If they get a new back for 1796, good for them.

Yes it is

By the way, if by 'they' you mean MiWay, you're misinformed if you think that MiWay themselves will make that decision especially if it isn't deemed to be a warrantable repair as smallspy stated. MiWay is a city department and the city is self insured, so the risk management department will play a big role in determining what happens. One major factor that will be looked at is the value of the bus. Given that the bus is less than a year old and has a replacement value of $920,000 ($76,000 annually) which means the bus is still worth well over $800,000 even after factoring in any other deprecation methods, simply saying they won't fix it is inaccurate.

I will also point out that *if* the bus ends up getting repaired or a new trailer, it won't be cheaping out as you put it, rather the city's risk management department has determined that it is the most cost effective action in the interest of the city.

As for the cost of the Nova LFS artic, the cost per unit when purchased in late 2016 was approximately $920,000 (HST included)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, mikenoza said:

Rode 1020 this evening and it sounded really different

That's because it has a Voith Transmission instead of a ZF.

50 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

That's because it has a Voith Transmission instead of a ZF.

Maybe leave the original poster time respond for himself, eh?

4 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

Maybe leave the original poster time respond for himself, eh?

Unfortunately he's on moderation, so we don't know what he is posting until it's approved by a moderator.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

Unfortunately he's on moderation, so we don't know what his is posting until it's approved by a moderator.

Information like that should largely be kept between the person on moderation, and the admins. 

• Thanks 6

On 10/26/2018 at 9:01 AM, Happy Power said:

That Unit has a Voith D864.5 Along with the 1201-1215 Units.

I know, 1020 has a different engine sound, it sounded more like an LFR. But when I rode it that evening it sounded really weird

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikenoza said:

I know, 1020 has a different engine sound, it sounded more like an LFR. But when I rode it that evening it sounded really weird

what u hear revving up while accelerating is the transmission, its still a cummins isl9 engine

6 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Wouldn't there be a release switch under the driver window or somewhere?

That depends on if they spec'd such a thing on their vehicles.

Dan