MiWay

Orion VIII

Re: the "new" 29.  

When the 29 was extended north to Erin Mills Town Centre the "big" news was a single north-south route connecting patrons to Credit Valley Hospital.  I presume with the termination now at the TransitWay those wishing access to Credit Valley will have to change at South Common to the 48.

4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Re: the "new" 29.  

When the 29 was extended north to Erin Mills Town Centre the "big" news was a single north-south route connecting patrons to Credit Valley Hospital.  I presume with the termination now at the TransitWay those wishing access to Credit Valley will have to change at South Common to the 48.

There was this graphic floating around on Facebook:

12985582_10153395638512657_1351446753173

I think with the long-term construction at Credit Valley they're foregoing any additional service.  The restructuring from Erin Mills Town Centre to Erin Mills Station means there'll be 3 routes (9, 41, 46) passing the hospital.  I'm not sure if they're eventually thinking about reinstating service on hospital grounds.  If there's a push for direct service, then extend the 29 into the hospital.  I'd still like to hold out for some sort of interline so that there's a continuous north-south route rather than transferring between the 9/29.

2 hours ago, soo8513 said:

I presume changes to 9, 41, 46 will be at some subsequent board as more GRIDing occurs.

The changes for the 46 are scheduled to begin October 24, 2016.

9 and 41 won't be implimented until sometime in 2017.

The full schedule is on the website, under the Annual changes heading. http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/miwayfive

44 minutes ago, TransitfanJas0n said:

Why was it being repaired in the first place? 1058 is only half the age of 0342.

The 2 buses have had repairs for completely different reasons.

1058 due to a collision, there were pictures posted a few pages back in this thread.

0342 has undergone bodywork. Because MiWay has their own bodyshop body and frame repairs are done on a as needed basis (not at pre-determined time/vehicle age/mileage interval) which helps avoid unnecessary repairs and controls cost, and more importantly ensures the fleet stays in service for the 12-15 year lifespan MiWay has for their buses. Most of the older New Flyers and Eldorados have had varying amounts of bodywork done over the past few years  to and usually have partial or full repaint jobs as a result. 

Bodywork can run from accident repair (such as 1058), minor body panel repair to full structural work and body work (what a lot of 03s and 05s have gotten, like picture of 0342 posted).

Report will be going to council next week regarding the $1 off peak senior fare pilot program. Council will be asked to make a decision regarding the future of the program: make permanent, extend pilot period, or cancel completely. The original pilot phase (end of June 2015-end of December 2015) was extended in December 2015 to allow for more data collection.

Some things from the report:

• $1 cash fare is used for 29% of senior rides, up from 24% in fall 2015. 420,500 trips were taken using the $1 fare between July 2015 and March 2016
  • Use of senior tickets decreased 50%, senior PRESTO decreased 32% and senior pass use decreased 29%
  • 20% of $1 fares are being used outside the off-peak window on weekdays (9:30-3:30 and after 7pm). However the report notes of that 20%, 37% is within 30 minutes of the window
  • There has been no measurable increase in senior ridership as a result of the $1 fare, rather migration from other fare types
  • Based on current usage of the $1 fare (around 60% of senior ridership during off peak) the annual loss would be estimated at $516,500 annually due to the migration from tickets/PRESTO (priced at $2/ride as of May 1) and passes.
  • However if the program was to be made permanent, and all senior riders were to eventually migrate to the $1 fare during off peak the loss is estimated at just over $1 million annually. 

www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/general/2016/05_04_18_GC_Agenda_posting.pdf

On the Updated Schedules section the explanation column lists "Customer Request - ..."  How many customer requests does it take for MiWay to seriously consider and then actually implement a service change of some type?  We've all seen the ones that wind up at City Hall, but these seem a little more grassroots and responsive rather than reactive.  In the case of the 321 high school special I wonder what the request was, since it's not identified.  YRT seems to fiddle around more with their high school specials throughout the year, which would seem to be a significant issue for the students using those routes.

Routes

Explanation

1 - Dundas Customer request - earlier trips.
4 - Sherway Gardens New school trip.
14 - Lorne Park To improve network connectivity.
19 - Hurontario Customer request - earlier trips.
38 - Creditview Customer request - later trips.
39 - Britannia To improve network connectivity.
43 - Matheson-Argentia To improve network connectivity.
49 - McDowell-Streetsville GO To improve network connectivity.
61 - Mavis Customer request - improve connections.
87 - Meadowvale-Skymark To improve network connectivity.
90 - Terragar-Copenhagen Loop To improve network connectivity.
321 - Stephen Lewis-Joan of Arc Customer request.

3 hours ago, Gil said:

On the Updated Schedules section the explanation column lists "Customer Request - ..."  How many customer requests does it take for MiWay to seriously consider and then actually implement a service change of some type?  We've all seen the ones that wind up at City Hall, but these seem a little more grassroots and responsive rather than reactive.  In the case of the 321 high school special I wonder what the request was, since it's not identified.  YRT seems to fiddle around more with their high school specials throughout the year, which would seem to be a significant issue for the students using those routes.

Routes

Explanation

1 - Dundas Customer request - earlier trips.
4 - Sherway Gardens New school trip.
14 - Lorne Park To improve network connectivity.
19 - Hurontario Customer request - earlier trips.
38 - Creditview Customer request - later trips.
39 - Britannia To improve network connectivity.
43 - Matheson-Argentia To improve network connectivity.
49 - McDowell-Streetsville GO To improve network connectivity.
61 - Mavis Customer request - improve connections.
87 - Meadowvale-Skymark To improve network connectivity.
90 - Terragar-Copenhagen Loop To improve network connectivity.
321 - Stephen Lewis-Joan of Arc Customer request.

I don't know what they are thinking but my morning route 1 schedule doesn't seem to make sense for the next signup. The bus passes by my stop at 7:27am, 7:32am, and 7:36am for this signup but next signup they changed it to 7:24am, 7:34am, and 7:35am.

Whats the point of having a bus one minute behind each other?

2 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

I don't know what they are thinking but my morning route 1 schedule doesn't seem to make sense for the next signup. The bus passes by my stop at 7:27am, 7:32am, and 7:36am for this signup but next signup they changed it to 7:24am, 7:34am, and 7:35am.

The 35 also has a few scheduled bunches since the April 11 signup. It seems that their algorithm for updating runtimes works differently on trippers and interlined trips, always keeping one of the terminal times fixed instead of allowing both to change like on normal runs.

37 minutes ago, soo8513 said:

Sorry: looked in history for this but couldn't find it:  Are there buses being delivered this year (1601+) and what type and quantity and I presume the deliveries will start in September.

Nothing has been bought yet from what I've heard..

4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Sorry: looked in history for this but couldn't find it:  Are there buses being delivered this year (1601+) and what type and quantity and I presume the deliveries will start in September.

Nothing this year and will start again in 2017. More express buses will be order in 2017 for the opening of the Transitway and improve service 7 days a week for it.

With the coming of the LRT, less buses will be order in the coming years since the 19's and 103 current buses will be move to other routes onces it opens. As for expansion buses, it depends on how money will be invested for more service hours 7 days a week.

We need better service on the weekend, but mostly on Sunday with better start time.

• Like 1

I hope they do purchase some expansion buses this hear. We seem to run out of buses all the time. It happened to my friend quite often where he would show up at 2pm and there would be nothing left on the garages at Central..

• 2 weeks later...

City of Mississauga Announces New Commissioner of Transportation and Works

The City of Mississauga is pleased to announce the appointment of Geoff Wright as Commissioner of Transportation and Works following an executive search competition. Wright will lead one of the City’s largest departments responsible for transit, works operations and maintenance, transportation and infrastructure planning, engineering and construction, enforcement and the construction of the Hurontario Light Rail Transit (HRLT) project. 

• ORION locked this topic
  • 1604 unlocked this topic