MiWay

Orion VIII

I agree the local service is important but a lot of the routes need a rethink, not only the 9. How they connect with the Expresses and Go stations, BRT, and the eventual LRT. I don't know if you saw that letter to the editor about a month ago from the teenager complaining about the local service in his area and the inability to get to major points locally without transfering 2or3 times. Perhaps idea of Community Shuttles should be discussed. How about the 50% of the high school routes that only run in the PM so how do the kids get to school? I guess Miway encourages the parents to drive them.

I don't think local ridership will be too adversely affected by increased express service. Remember, local buses connect to the express buses too. So the express service might generate new ridership for local service.

Touché. 9/10 and 109 only connect at Meadowvale and Square One. 109 goes at Winston Churchill, Erin Centre, Erin Mills, 403, while 9 goes Rathburn, Creditview, Eglinton, Mississauga, then local service northwest of Streetsville, and 10... well, you get the idea.

I agree the local service is important but a lot of the routes need a rethink, not only the 9. How they connect with the Expresses and Go stations, BRT, and the eventual LRT. I don't know if you saw that letter to the editor about a month ago from the teenager complaining about the local service in his area and the inability to get to major points locally without transfering 2or3 times. Perhaps idea of Community Shuttles should be discussed. How about the 50% of the high school routes that only run in the PM so how do the kids get to school? I guess Miway encourages the parents to drive them.

I'm pretty sure they already have a plan in place once the new phases of BRT and the LRT come in.

GO shuttles (which can also double as community shuttles) would prove pretty nice and helpful when Milton and Kitchener lines run all-day, all-week, which seems to be a 2050's scenario for Milton Line passengers. I already foresee 32, 62, 64 and 67 running all-week, maybe Golden Orchard and Fieldgate shuttles to Dixie GO, and 41 and 49 permanently ending at Streetsville. And maybe an amalgamation of 91 and 62 running on both loop directions.

One rethink that comes to my mind is 30 Woodbine: a semi-loop at the west end, then go straight along Derry/Rexdale ending at Woodbine. Might as well convert it as a loop serving West Malton like what 16 does to the east. And let 11 take care of the Woodbine business. 16 is pretty successful, with 17.5-minute midday frequency and second busiest after 36 Colonial...

301 is the perfect example. Workers along the 51/51A get left behind and end up late at work because half of them are students at the local high school. A 301 would've helped, so that buses run every 6 minutes at the peak direction during AM rush.

51/51A had its frequency reduced to 12/13 minutes because of the recession. If ridership has recovered and it is overcrowded now they need to increase the frequency back to the old 9 minutes.

There is less high school routes in the morning because it is in the midst of rush hour, so MT has no buses to spare. In the afternoon, school ends right before rush hour so not only has MT buses to spare for school service, they can provide it without losing money and using extra buses.

GO shuttles cost MT a lot of money compared to the ridership. Look at the service around Erindale, or Clarkson, or Port Credit... if the normal bus service is good, you don't need those shuttles.

30's route was from before they reroute the 11 through Woodbine Centre. So yeah that's another outdated route. I'm not a fan of truncating routes, but 30 as a loop would be better.

Generally though, I think MT need to combine route and make routes longer, e.g. 51 to Bramalea City Centre or Sherway (seriously, this route needs an actual destination), 9 combined with 41A and 49A, 28 combined with 66, 65 combined with 91.

Routes 28 and 66 are both short, have the same frequencies, and serve the same corridor - I don't understand why they're separate. It's just forcing a needless transfer and suppressing the ridership of both routes.

2050 for the Milton line? I hope not as the traffic on Derry Rd during the rushes is already bad. I thought I saw on the Big Move it was targeted for 2015. As far as Go Shuttles the 64 could run all day not just for the trains, Meadowvale has buses leaving every 30mins the Go 48,27 and 21. With some slight changes the 64 could double as a community shuttle.

GO shuttles cost MT a lot of money compared to the ridership. Look at the service around Erindale, or Clarkson, or Port Credit... if the normal bus service is good, you don't need those shuttles.

You just stated the problem if the normal bus service is good. Locally around a Go station it is generally not. Look at the 90W Terggar a local service that doesn't serve the local Go Lisgar or the close shopping area at Wintson Churchill and Argentia, but loops everyone back to MTC without stopping at a major area I assume to bypass Go in favor of the 109.

According to the Metrolinx Port Credit Mobility Hub, they (Metrolinx) are looking to having a new community/GO shuttle route to PC GO Station. I stumbled upon it somwehere, but I couldn't find it anymore.

Generally though, I think MT need to combine route and make routes longer, e.g. 51 to Bramalea City Centre or Sherway (seriously, this route needs an actual destination), 9 combined with 41A and 49A, 28 combined with 66, 65 combined with 91.

51 can go to Dixie Mall via Tomken - Dundas - Stanfield - North Service - Dixie, while 51A can also go to Dixie Mall via Tomken - Dundas - Haines - Middlegate - Stanfield - North Service - Dixie, or retain its current form if there is no such demand.

Sherway also works but I think with the low ridership of 4, I'll let 4 handle Sherway instead. Or if the Tories win and extend the subway to Sherway, then maybe...

I'm pretty sure Brampton would prefer to have 40 run along West Drive instead and end at Cardiff or Cortneypark, instead of 51 going all the way to Bramalea. The new terminal seems to have space for just the existing routes and none for any expansion, which is bad news if they want run a 105 to there.

Routes 28 and 66 are both short, have the same frequencies, and serve the same corridor - I don't understand why they're separate. It's just forcing a needless transfer and suppressing the ridership of both routes.

66 is fast becoming a Sheridan College intercampus shuttle. As the later phases of the College open, 66 will be even more frequent (I see 6 to 7.5-minute rush-hour service by Phase 4). We need to see Parkside's full development and how it affects 28.

2050 for the Milton line? I hope not as the traffic on Derry Rd during the rushes is already bad. I thought I saw on the Big Move it was targeted for 2015.

There are apparently a lot of costly infrastructure issues and fixes before all-day service at Milton Line. Third tracks, bridge windenings and rehabs, etc. Also, it seems that Milton is the only line that GO does not own even a segment of it (I need correction here). While there is the mega-construction at Kitchener Line, the phasing in of midday trains at Richmond Hill and Stouffville, and the weekend service at Barrie Line (with those northern cororidors undergoing minor construction projects), Milton receives zilch.

29 29A 29B is a route I dont get. If you re extended the 48 straightened out the 13 extended the 45 and go futher west with the 14. You get the same coverage. All those turns on that route must be slow. I have yet to take it. I took the 4 once and it was the same turn after turn. I guess I am going back to the discussion similar to the Bancroft Detour on the 38.

2050 for the Milton line? I hope not as the traffic on Derry Rd during the rushes is already bad. I thought I saw on the Big Move it was targeted for 2015. As far as Go Shuttles the 64 could run all day not just for the trains, Meadowvale has buses leaving every 30mins the Go 48,27 and 21. With some slight changes the 64 could double as a community shuttle.

You just stated the problem if the normal bus service is good. Locally around a Go station it is generally not. Look at the 90W Terggar a local service that doesn't serve the local Go Lisgar or the close shopping area at Wintson Churchill and Argentia, but loops everyone back to MTC without stopping at a major area I assume to bypass Go in favor of the 109.

Well GO Transit doesn't exactly encourage riders to take local transit to the station...look at all those fancy 3 storey parking garages that have been built. Look everybody now you can park your car away from inclement weather for free! Wrong message IMO.

29 29A 29B is a route I dont get. If you re extended the 48 straightened out the 13 extended the 45 and go futher west with the 14. You get the same coverage. All those turns on that route must be slow. I have yet to take it. I took the 4 once and it was the same turn after turn. I guess I am going back to the discussion similar to the Bancroft Detour on the 38.

If 48 is extended and 29 canceled, I think an extension of 31 would be best to take over service along Truscott/Bromsgrove, as well as the Inverhouse loop(s). Remember it was the13 that used to detour to serve Trustcott and Bromsgrove. Having a minor route like 29 or 31 provide that service instead is actually a good thing.

Likewise, I have no problem with the 4 being like that. It is also a minor route. They do need to shorten it though to bring the headway back down to 30/45 minutes instead of 33/48 minutes. The change to the Huron Park section a few years the reason the route became longer. The route now doubles back on itself there and wastes a lot of time, it should just go directly onto the Queensway instead back onto Mavis. Eastbound route should be: Mavis, Paisley, Huron Park, Queensway. Westbound routing should Queenway, Huron Park, Paisley, Mavis. That should allow the headway to be reduced to 45 minutes.

Bancroft should be served by an extension of the 68. Otherwise I don't see how you can take the 38 off there. If you really want to shorten and staighten the 38, I'd focus on taking it off Argentia first, and have it go straight up to Financial instead and meet 42 and 57 properly. Take it off Argentia at Smartcentre too, and just have an all-day, bidirectional 43 serve Lisgar GO instead.

There are apparently a lot of costly infrastructure issues and fixes before all-day service at Milton Line. Third tracks, bridge windenings and rehabs, etc. Also, it seems that Milton is the only line that GO does not own even a segment of it (I need correction here). While there is the mega-construction at Kitchener Line, the phasing in of midday trains at Richmond Hill and Stouffville, and the weekend service at Barrie Line (with those northern cororidors undergoing minor construction projects), Milton receives zilch.

GO has long owned the section of the CP Galt Subdivision between the Union Station Rail Corridor and West Toronto Junction, but this is quite short compared to most of the other corridors.

Actually I was thinking of the 14 for Truscott/Bromsgrove a local route that serves Lorne Park and half of Clarkson it is too bad it is not linked to the community center and the arena. You could do both the 31 down to Clarkson Go on the 29 route and the 14 running out of Port Credit Go. Covers both north/south and east /west.

The 4 at Huron Park, your right that is the logical way, so why does it go the other way?

Actually I was thinking of the 14 for Truscott/Bromsgrove a local route that serves Lorne Park and half of Clarkson it is too bad it is not linked to the community center and the arena. You could do both the 31 down to Clarkson Go on the 29 route and the 14 running out of Port Credit Go. Covers both north/south and east /west.

The 4 at Huron Park, your right that is the logical way, so why does it go the other way?

NIMBYs along Glengarry pressured the City to change the routing to its' current form. The 109 will be using 6 buses during the day come September, as mentioned at a 22 minute frequency. Unfortunately for me, the 110 sees no increase in midday service, service patterns go back to the same schedule being used prior to the May seasonal reductions, with 12-14 minute evening service ending northbound at UTM at 8:37PM (9:03PM is the next NB departure after that from UTM). Also, the 108 (82) is having additional trips added. There will be a new NB trip added at 6:57AM to reduce over crowding on the current 7:15 trip, which is being moved to depart at 7:25AM now. In the afternoon, there will be a new trip added at 3:30PM, 5:20PM and the 5:30PM departure is being moved to 5:40PM.

Used 109 from Islington to Sq One for the first time and the 26 beat use considering it departed after use and no traffic on the 427.

That 9 is a wander and the increase service to 109 will help people to travel the route a lot faster for those who want to go to/from CCTT to Meadowvale.

With 2 months to go, the contractor is cutting it close for the stations if service is to be running by the end of October. Still have to get the driver train to use the first phase as well test the timing for the runs.

The new ramp from Eglinton to 427 for the buses is completed and gated off at this time. Will save time using this new cut off and not fight the traffic that take place today.

That is the slow section of the 109, especially past dixie to the Skymark, hopefully once the BRT gets fully completed it will cut the time down.Going south out of Meadowvale it is 35-40 minutes to Dixie, but takes another 25 minutes to get to Islington. The 26 takes a much more direct route.

57 is has a shorter midday break than 43. 57 ends its AM rush at 10:14 AM at Islington and starts its PM rush at 12:43 PM at Mavis Road. A midday variant of 57 can bypass the Infield Terminal, which makes it surprisingly faster than the 109 (until its doomed cutback to Skymark)! Taking 42 or 57 to connect to 82/108 is actually faster than taking 109.

Funny you should mention the 57, as I work in the infield. No I do not take it to work which is sad as I can jump on it right at my back door. Unfortunitely, it doesn't run at times that fit most of our schedules. I see very few people using it in the infield which makes me believe it probably does not match very many work schedules. There is the 59 but that only runs out of Westwood once in the morning. I am not sure what workers that is serving. My solution if you wanted the 57 out of the infield would be to run the 59 a sort of an industrial shuttle between Westwood and Skymark covering the infield and meyerside areas of the 5B. At the very least MT should survey businesses to see what schedules they run.

Service changes to be release Aug 16

There will be some changes In transit service in Ward 9 starting in September. Route 82 serving the Meadowvale Business Park will add 4 additional trips in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. This route will become Express Route 108 Meadowvale Business Park.

The Meadowvale Express Route 109 will add mid-day service effective September 2, 2013. Once the Transitway opens this fall, this route will run on it and provide weekend/holiday service as well as late evening hours.

Service changes to be release Aug 16

There will be some changes In transit service in Ward 9 starting in September. Route 82 serving the Meadowvale Business Park will add 4 additional trips in the morning and 3 in the afternoon. This route will become Express Route 108 Meadowvale Business Park.

The Meadowvale Express Route 109 will add mid-day service effective September 2, 2013. Once the Transitway opens this fall, this route will run on it and provide weekend/holiday service as well as late evening hours.

You are fast, I just saw the Newsletter from Pat Saito, as well.

Did I just... hear... weekend/holiday service and late evening service on 109??? That's great! Removes my "white elephant" commentary right away.

I will also assume 107 will have weekend/holiday service too, otherwise the frequency will be so low on the transitway.

MiWay does release serivce changes 2 weeks before the weekend before the actual service change date.

The September service changes do not disappoint. The October change may be even bigger than this.

So 108 is like 82 minus a few stops at Dundas. Makes total sense to me. 108 running every 15 minutes at AM rush and 20 during PM rush is a big improvement over hit-and-miss frequencies, especially the current 30-60 minute PM rush hour service on the 82.

16 getting Sunday service is also great news, but 5PM is too early to end the service, should be 7 like most routes do. But one step at a time...

And also... "MiWay is your way school" needs some fixing.

The schedules are now up on Click-n-Ride. While the 108's AM frequency is indeed 15 minutes (apart from the oddball 5:25am trip), the PM frequency is still mostly 30', with one last 60' headway between 7:00 and 8:00pm.

One thing I noticed with the new schedules is that the 108, now officially express, still seems to interline with local routes. Not just the 70 and 201 - quite a lot of trips come off or go onto actual local routes and stay there for hours. Does anyone know how MT will handle this regarding blue/orange buses?

List of these trips for the curious:

WB:

8:00, off 35

8:15, off 1

8:30, off 38/20

9:00, off 9

9:15, off 35

9:30, off 1/201

EB:

3:30, off 10

4:00, onto 20

4:30, onto 201/1

5:20, off 70/20

5:40, onto 201/26

6:00, 312->70->76->38->108->201->1

6:30, off 201/70/20

Had a look at the Dixie Station today and a lot of work still be done. Didn't see any elevators in place and until they are install, station can't open.

Don't know why Dixie road is not finish off and reopen as it been ready for months to be done.

They finally finish the work at Rathburn and maybe in September the Hurontario Closures can be reopen to everyone.

The ROW is ready for the sub base of asphalt for the missing areas.

November or December looks like opening day for transitway at this time.

9573976008_1d1e43858c_b.jpg

9571212265_a6e3179e7b_b.jpg

9574005744_aa5b33c0b8_b.jpg

Had a look at the Dixie Station today and a lot of work still be done. Didn't see any elevators in place and until they are install, station can't open.

Don't know why Dixie road is not finish off and reopen as it been ready for months to be done.

They finally finish the work at Rathburn and maybe in September the Hurontario Closures can be reopen to everyone.

The ROW is ready for the sub base of asphalt for the missing areas.

November or December looks like opening day for transitway at this time.

Tomken doesn't look very close either. Rebar but no concrete poured going up the stairs from the street. Central Parkway looks the most complete hard to tell at Cawthra as it is off in the distance a bit.

Tomken doesn't look very close either. Rebar but no concrete poured going up the stairs from the street. Central Parkway looks the most complete hard to tell at Cawthra as it is off in the distance a bit.

Cawthra is a very simple shelter type with not stairs or elevators at all.

The station was down graded and being built cheap since there was going to be very little riders using this station in the first place. I said that from day one that riders would be non existing for this station as too far to walk to as well no bus service to it.

All it will be a slab and some steel overhead with ramp to get under the ROW.

The elevator walkout has delay most projects up to 6 weeks and this is one of them most likely.

May photos

8803198214_47b0157dc3_b.jpg

8792423299_abcb17a176_b.jpg

8803132352_265b2987f7_b.jpg

Sheridan College will be introducing free inter-campus shuttles between Davis, Hazel McCallion, and Trafalgar campuses this school year. Shuttles leave Davis and Trafalgar campuses at the top of the hour, while buses leave the Mississauga campus at the bottom of the hour.

That means less riders on Route 66 for students that have classes between 9 am to 7 pm as Sheridan students getting on at Square One on the way to Davis Campus have a new, free alternative.

Cross-posted in GO Transit thread.

• ORION locked this topic
  • 1604 unlocked this topic