MiWay

Orion VIII

I am surprise after 16 years calling for 24 hour service, we are finally going to see some routes doing it now. I can live with these routes, but 11, 42, 39, 26, something on Erin Mills should need to happen next. Then 23, 5, 35, 45 need to come into play to try keeping walking distance with a 15-20 minute area. 

Unless there is better service between Islington-Renforth, crush load and having to wait for the next bus will be the daily mess riders will have to deal with daily.

Looks like 20-40 minute headway for the routes

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drum118 said:

I am surprise after 16 years calling for 24 hour service, we are finally going to see some routes doing it now. I can live with these routes, but 11, 42, 39, 26, something on Erin Mills should need to happen next. Then 23, 5, 35, 45 need to come into play to try keeping walking distance with a 15-20 minute area. 

Unless there is better service between Islington-Renforth, crush load and having to wait for the next bus will be the daily mess riders will have to deal with daily.

Looks like 20-40 minute headway for the routes

Ideally there'd be a grid like they have with Toronto's Blue Night service.  If they're trying to incrementally work toward that then it's a decent first step.  The Erin Mills corridor is tricky balancing service patterns along with not trying to spark any NIMBYism with overnight noise complaints.  Credit Valley Hospital would probably be the biggest overnight trip generator.  Perhaps with once all the route restructuring next year is in place they'll look at expanding the network.

The schedules for the 1 DUNDAS and 19 HURONTARIO overnight service looks somewhat confusing with short-turning service (I only looked at westbound DUNDAS and northbound HURONTARIO schedules) or at least on paper one bus ending service with passengers transferring onto another one.  Hurontario service also looks to factor in some shift changes at Britannia with the 19A via Brunel seeing some trips.  With the streamlining of the Hurontario service later this year I wonder how they'll configure the overnight service?

Speaking of streamlining, I don't know if they'll give the weekend 61 MAVIS a different designation (61B?) since it will have a different routing and will not be serving the Westbridge area north of Derry.  They may need to clarify that since that area will lose weekend service when the changes take effect.  Otherwise the most immediate change will be seeing "via Old Derry Rd." on the weekend exposures.

18 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

They're going to have to keep the 7 running to CCTT for this 24 hr service.  Can't drop them at 3 & 4 am at Renforth.  And word is, they haven't thought of printing transfers yet for 24 hr service.  So what's the date for transfers from the Presto box?

I don't know the last time I've actually handled a transfer.  How much of a gap is there between the time at the top of the transfer and the time at the bottom?  They could go the way of Seattle (I think, if they haven't already completely switched to a fare card) where transfers are good overnight until the start of daytime service.

Given that there are only a handful of places to transfer between the 4 routes (Kipling/Islington Station, City Centre Terminal and points along Hurontario where the routes meet - Dundas, Elm/Burnhamthorpe/Robert Speck depending on the detour and Elia/Kingsbridge Garden) I don't think it will be that big of a deal showing a transfer with a reasonable time on it.  I don't know how many people will actually be travelling overnight looking to take advantage of the 2-hour transfer window.  If you're out at that hour, you're probably just looking to get to your destination (likely home or work).

Depending on how the daytime network continues to evolve, they may need to create a different network overnight to deal with issues like the 7 AIRPORT ending at Renforth, service along Erin Mills or what to do with Hurontario (will the LRT if it's ever built run 24 hours?).  Do we get to see Transitway/MiExpress routes overnight or some variation of them?  Some stations are already open 24-hours due to GO's route 40.

15 hours ago, Gil said:

I don't know the last time I've actually handled a transfer.  How much of a gap is there between the time at the top of the transfer and the time at the bottom?  They could go the way of Seattle (I think, if they haven't already completely switched to a fare card) where transfers are good overnight until the start of daytime service.

OC Transpo in Ottawa has variable time windows for transfers (so you get more time to transfer during off-peak hours, etc.) and the policy here is that after 10:30 PM the transfer is good all the way to the start of service next morning. OC prints transfers directly at the time of payment instead of having a stack of pre-printed ones you just mark off like the TTC and MiWay (which in addition to being convenient probably also saves a ton of paper) but I hope it won't kill the folks at MiWay to just print 4 hours' worth of extra lines on the format we have now.

8 hours ago, wowzhao said:

OC Transpo in Ottawa has variable time windows for transfers (so you get more time to transfer during off-peak hours, etc.) and the policy here is that after 10:30 PM the transfer is good all the way to the start of service next morning. OC prints transfers directly at the time of payment instead of having a stack of pre-printed ones you just mark off like the TTC and MiWay (which in addition to being convenient probably also saves a ton of paper) but I hope it won't kill the folks at MiWay to just print 4 hours' worth of extra lines on the format we have now.

Brampton Transit also has the printers built into their system, so their drivers can immediate print a 2-hour transfer with the exact time on it.  I don't know that MiWay will want to go that route solely for the purpose of issuing overnight transfers.  There's been no mention of a desire to go in that direction, yet.  An uncut transfer would probably suffice for anyone needing to make a transfer overnight.

Playing around with the online schedules for the overnight service I get the impression that the service day begins at 4am given that I can't scroll forward past it without changing the date or going back to 4am.  At some point during the night drivers will have to switch transfers even if they are updated for overnight service to deal with the start of a new service day.

On 4/9/2019 at 5:00 PM, Gil said:

Brampton Transit also has the printers built into their system, so their drivers can immediate print a 2-hour transfer with the exact time on it.  I don't know that MiWay will want to go that route solely for the purpose of issuing overnight transfers.  There's been no mention of a desire to go in that direction, yet.  An uncut transfer would probably suffice for anyone needing to make a transfer overnight.

Playing around with the online schedules for the overnight service I get the impression that the service day begins at 4am given that I can't scroll forward past it without changing the date or going back to 4am.  At some point during the night drivers will have to switch transfers even if they are updated for overnight service to deal with the start of a new service day.

Talked to a driver about this; he said there's no intention of replacing the transfer books, and that they don't want to deal with potential jams and technical issues. They will probably carry both days of transfers. However, they still haven't thought about extending the transfer length to accommodate to 5 AM

• 2 weeks later...

I came upon these service changes posted in Toronto and surprised to see them since I have never seen service changes notices posted along the routes. More so the style of the notices that used to be paper only. Don't remember seeing them a month or two ago when I was in the area.

This is on Dundas eastbound east of Kipling that includes a 307 route.

47654644511_475cc62d30_b.jpg

This is westbound on Dundas at Subway Dr and same as one west of Auckland

33777196518_3de7f41ab5_b.jpg

4 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

Solution for Transfers with the upcoming 24 hour service.

24 hr transfers.png

Still have a few questions regarding this:

Will the surrounding Transit Agencies acknowledge that the uncut transfer is valid until 6 AM (i.e Brampton)?

What will happen beyond July 1st?(since its effective until July 1st)

On 4/21/2019 at 10:19 AM, drum118 said:

I came upon these service changes posted in Toronto and surprised to see them since I have never seen service changes notices posted along the routes. More so the style of the notices that used to be paper only. Don't remember seeing them a month or two ago when I was in the area.

This is westbound on Dundas at Subway Dr and same as one west of Auckland

33777196518_3de7f41ab5_b.jpg

I'm surprised the revised 57 COURTNEYPARK, which is at least advertised as no longer serving Islington, isn't serving Financial Dr. as depicted in the 2020 system map.  Any reason for this or some gross oversight?

11 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

24 hr transfers.png

6 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Still have a few questions regarding this:

Will the surrounding Transit Agencies acknowledge that the uncut transfer is valid until 6 AM (i.e Brampton)?

What will happen beyond July 1st?(since its effective until July 1st)

Guess I was right about the uncut transfers for the overnight service.

I don't think there are that many people who would abuse a 6AM transfer in Brampton.  Then again, I don't know how much service is available before 6AM from Brampton Transit.  A quick look shows their 2 MAIN starts service at 4:15AM from the 407 terminal. 

I'm hoping they have the schedule sorted out on the overnight 19 HURONTARIO.  I was actually on a short-turned bus last Saturday, first time ever seeing that!  The bus was already 30 minutes behind according to Transit55 and the driver was in contact with dispatch.  When we got to CCTT we were all told to get off and take the other bus that had lapped us on the way up from Port Credit GO.

Beyond July 1st I assume they'll have gotten a new transfer design that will be able to accommodate the overnight service.  Hopefully there'll be additional routes added then as this was a welcome surprise for me.

15 hours ago, Gil said:

A quick look shows their 2 MAIN starts service at 4:15AM from the 407 terminal. 

A ZUM 502 NB trip on a weekday starts at CCTT at 5:29. I'll assume that people may transfer over from the connecting overnight MiWay routes to the 502. My question was that will Brampton operators (or any agency that accepts MiWay transfers) view it as a transfer expiring at 6 AM.

On 4/26/2019 at 1:49 PM, TransferCutter said:

24 hr transfers.png

What a unnecessarily complicated policy. The current transfers already have the ability to be issued for a 6am expiry time so there is no need to issue fully uncut transfers if they're going to be viewed as expiring at 6am. Giving out uncut transfers means people will be able to modify them easily for a free ride home afterwards as well. As another poster mentioned, the potential for conflict between drivers/passengers with these uncut transfers is another issue.

31 minutes ago, TransferCutter said:

Old style bus stop.  Can't be many of these old wooden bus stop left.  I remember standing at this stop back in 1974 just after Square One opened in '73.  Any other sightings around?  This ones on Bloor at Riverspray going west.

2019-04-27 13.05.59.jpg

I know of at least 4 others that were still around as of a few months ago:

0738 Tedwyn/Cliff (4)

0733 Tedwyn/Felina (4)

0711 Cliff/Pathfinder (4)

0202 - Indian/Kane (14)

There may be others still lurking in Homelands/Credit Woodlands (old route 1 routing in the early 70s) and around Malton as some of the streets have had service since the early 70s as well. It is interesting how even today, 40+ years later there is so much inconsistency in how bus stops are replaced that newer signs are being replaced before these old wooden ones.

• Like 1

On 4/6/2019 at 2:06 PM, Gil said:

The April 29 Service Changes are now available and aside from the expected swap in routing of the 42 DERRY and 57 COURTNEYPARK there's also this:

24 hour service

To add to GO's route 40 which also offers 24 Hour service.

Since the 57 COURTNEYPARK doesn't run on weekends or holidays the 61 MAVIS will cover the section of Old Derry Rd from Mavis to Financial without serving Westbridge.  I don't know if this will still be the plan when the 61 MAVIS gets permanently routed up to Sheridan's Davis Campus in Brampton in September.  There's no mention of the 57A, but the Infield Terminal is shown as a rush hour extension.  The route is also cut back to Renforth Terminal, but there is no corresponding increase in service between Islington and Renforth on any route which strikes me as troubling.

Service Changes Effective April 29, 2019

Below are schedule and routing changes that will take effect on April 29, 2019. Check for updated schedules at miway.ca/planatrip.

1 Dundas

New late night trips added, providing 24 hour service. Check schedules.

3 Bloor

4 Sherway Gardens

Stop #2332 – This bus stop will be permanently removed from service to improve stop spacing. Alternate stop: #0695 Paisley/Antigua

7 Airport

15 Drew

Stop #2187 – This bus stop will be permanently removed from service to improve stop spacing. Alternate stop: #2188 Drew/Tranmere

19 Hurontario

26 Burnhamthorpe

Saturday service will have revised schedules

29 Park Royal-Homelands

Stop #4009 – The weekday 7:50 am northbound trip from Clarkson GO will depart at 7:55 am in order to improve a connection with the 7:51 am GO train.

42 Derry

Revised routing – 42 Derry (Monday to Sunday) will provide service via Derry Rd - no longer servicing Old Derry Rd and Meadowvale Blvd. 

All service will have revised schedules

Note: Old Derry Rd and Meadowvale Blvd now serviced by revised Route 57 on weekdays; Old Derry Rd serviced by revised Route 61 on weekends.

44 Mississauga Road

Weekend service will have revised schedules

45 Winston Churchill

Weekday service will have revised schedules

46 Tenth Line-Osprey

Stop #3065 – This bus stop will no longer be serviced by Route 46 North to improve stop spacing. Alternate stop: #0392 Grossbeak/Prairie Cir

57 Courtneypark

Route 57 will service Meadowvale Blvd and Old Derry Rd, ending at Renforth Station – no longer servicing Islington Subway. 

Revised routing will travel east/west (from north/south) and will have revised schedules

Route 57 will continue to service the Britannia Infield Loop during AM and PM rush hours

Note: Route 57 is on detour until May 31, 2019, due to Britannia Rd closure for watermain construction.

61 Mavis

Revised weekend routing from Mavis Rd will service Old Derry Rd (not Derry Rd) and Financial Dr.

Weekend service will have revised schedules

Derry Rd between Creditview Rd and Mavis Rd will be serviced by revised Route 42 on weekends.

66 McLaughlin

Revised weekday schedules for the summer academic term.

68 Windsor Hill

Weekday trips adjusted due to changes on Route 91:

Stop #6171 – 5:37 pm northbound from the City Centre Terminal will depart at 5:39 pm
Stop #2197 – 5:54 pm southbound from Bristol Rd/Sweetgrass Gt will depart at 5:56 pm

90 Terragar-Copenhagen Loop

Stop #2244 – The weekday 5:43 am eastbound trip from Meadowvale Town Centre will depart at 5:40 am to improve a connection with Route 57.

91 Hillcrest-Cooksville GO

Weekday trips adjusted to improve connection time at Cooksville GO due to construction delays:

Stop #6126 – 5:16 pm northbound from Cooksville GO will depart at 5:18 pm
Stop #6171 – 6:12 pm southbound from the City Centre Terminal will depart at 6:14 pm

101 Dundas Express

Revised weekday schedules for the summer academic term.

Route 101A will not service UTM. Saturday service will have revised schedules

104 Derry Express

Weekday service will have revised schedules

107 Malton Express

Weekday service will have revised schedules for the summer acedemic term

Route 107 will not service Humber College and will operate between the City Centre Terminal and Westwood Square.

110 University Express

Weekday service will have revised schedules for the summer acedemic term

Some short trips will be cancelled to UTM outside the hours of 10:00 am and 3:00 pm

2019 Service Change Schedule

• July 1, 2019
  • August 5, 2019
  • September 2, 2019
  • October 28, 2019

Holiday Service

• Good Friday: April 19
  • Victoria Day: May 20
  • Canada Day: July 1
  • Civic Holiday: August 5
  • Labour Day: September 2
  • Thanksgiving Day: October 14
  • Christmas Day: December 25
  • Boxing Day: December 26

The beginning of an overnight network is promising.  I wonder how it will grow in the future with the 7 AIRPORT being slated to be cut to only run between Westwood and Renforth Station via Pearson next year.  Would a local version of the 109 (i.e. serving all stops once off the Transitway) be a solution?  I would provide service to northwestern Mississauga, though it misses hitting Credit Valley Hospital.  I don't know how much overnight shift work takes place along the 39 BRITANNIA route, but it's another potential one and aside from its leg between Osprey and Derry doesn't really go through residential areas that might be disrupted by overnight service.

Here are the new maps as well:

Weekday: https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MT-SystemMap_Apr29_2019_Weekday_Web.pdf

Express: https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MT-ExpressMap_Apr29_2019_Web.pdf

Saturday: https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MT-SystemMap_Apr29_2019_Saturday_Web.pdf

Sunday: https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/miway/servicechange/MT-SystemMap_Apr29_2019_Sunday_Web.pdf

If MiWay does it on routes, 1, 3, 7, and 19, why not have the TTC to extend the 352 LAWRENCE WEST BLUE NIGHT to McNaughton? Same fare rules apply as the daytime.

And the question is, since Islington's terminal is closed from 2am to 5:30am (8am on Sundays), will the 1 DUNDAS and 3 BLOOR get picked up and dropped off outside Islington Stn. using the Islington Av. and Bloor St. W. intersections?

13 hours ago, BYD said:

If MiWay does it on routes, 1, 3, 7, and 19, why not have the TTC to extend the 352 LAWRENCE WEST BLUE NIGHT to McNaughton? Same fare rules apply as the daytime.

And the question is, since Islington's terminal is closed from 2am to 5:30am (8am on Sundays), will the 1 DUNDAS and 3 BLOOR get picked up and dropped off outside Islington Stn. using the Islington Av. and Bloor St. W. intersections?

I think the point of the 7 AIRPORT is to access Pearson overnight without the GO surcharge (and better frequency) and to a lesser extent serve the industrial areas adjacent to the airport. Running the 352 LAWRENCE WEST BLUE NIGHT up to Naughton (vs. Westwood?) wouldn't provide that connectivity. One could argue running the 7 AIRPORT over to Woodbine Centre/Racetrack to provide a connection with the 336 FINCH WEST BLUE NIGHT.

Speaking of Westwood, the terminal will be partially closed for repaving for a little over a month. The relocation of the stops for the 42 DERRY and 104 DERRY EXPRESS will require both routes to circle around the mall via Darcel and Etude. The 42 will probably serve stops along the way. 

Detour_WestwoodSquare.jpg

As for the 1 DUNDAS and 3 BLOOR at Islington, with the station closed they will serve the station as you described, which is also the usual procedure during TTC strikes affecting access to the station.

• Like 1

Then again the guy recording sped himself (literally matching the speed that of the MiWay driver), cut through the solid white line for the right turn lane, cut through 2 lanes at once without signaling as well, and ran a red light himself since he didn't stop behind the white line while turning right, tailgating the MiWay car, and parking in an unauthorized spot. I think he's violated more than that of the MiWay driver.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Then again the guy recording sped himself (literally matching the speed that of the MiWay driver), cut through the solid white line for the right turn lane, cut through 2 lanes at once without signaling as well, and ran a red light himself since he didn't stop behind the white line while turning right, tailgating the MiWay car, and parking in an unauthorized spot. I think he's violated more than that of the MiWay driver.

i wish that guy would just leave that driver alone, the bus driver just wants go to home after dealing with bs daily.

BroadcastBanner_24HRServ_780x175.jpg

Transit Toronto has done a bit more poking around with the 24-hour service (despite some transposing errors in the route descriptions) and it turns out the overnight service is available on the 1 DUNDAS, 3 BLOOR and 7 AIRPORT on weeknights (or early mornings Tuesday to Saturday), while the 19 HURONTARIO overnight service is offered every night with a variety of short turns and looping arrangements.  Seeing as GO does provide some service between Pearson and City Centre, not having the 7 AIRPORT run 7 nights a weeks is acceptable.  Between the 1 DUNDAS and 3 BLOOR which will get weekend overnight service first?

To the public it might be Tuesday to Saturday but on the crew list and to drivers, it's Mon to Fri.  The new day still starts with the 4am (approx) punchins, hence the full length uncut transfer being used from the previous day for the over night, 24 hr service.  Unfortunately it's not what makes sense to the passenger/general public, it what mgmt and the computer dictates.  The public will think the new days starts at midnight but not so at Miway.