These types of complaints are just like complaining about a driver who left 1 minute early.

Were the "high beams" shining right in your eyes? Did anyone else have a problem about it?

My opinion on the high beams is if you are a driver and this buses lights are shining in your eyes daily, then call it in.  If your comment is only based on an observation as a passenger and has not effected your personal life directly, then just move on.  Pick your battles and this one isn't worth it.

As for the cell phone, you've said you saw it once and not since.  Not worth it.  You may not be old enough to have kids in school, so let me use this as an example.  Consider that many drivers are working a full 8 hour shift.  No lunch or coffee breaks.  Personal lives do spill over into business hours.  Could be a problem at home or school.  You don't know.  You would also be upset if driver pulled over, stopped and got out to talk.  Yes talking on the phone is illegal and not allowed but you don't know the situation.  For now, give the benefit of the doubt and let it go.  If you were to see the same driver always on the phone daily, then yes, it needs to be addresses.

Always choose your battles.  Remember, driver are only human and sometimes make mistakes.  Calmly discuss with driver.  Don't be confrontational.  You'll get nowhere.  Your reports can have consequences.  Think first.  Do you want him in trouble or to just stop.  To report or to discuss.  Hey, if he's an ass, then report but if you can discuss it and he stops it, then mission accomplished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

8 minutes ago, TransferCutter said:

My opinion on the high beams is if you are a driver and this buses lights are shining in your eyes daily, then call it in.  If your comment is only based on an observation as a passenger and has not effected your personal life directly, then just move on.  Pick your battles and this one isn't worth it.

As for the cell phone, you've said you saw it once and not since.  Not worth it.  You may not be old enough to have kids in school, so let me use this as an example.  Consider that many drivers are working a full 8 hour shift.  No lunch or coffee breaks.  Personal lives do spill over into business hours.  Could be a problem at home or school.  You don't know.  You would also be upset if driver pulled over, stopped and got out to talk.  Yes talking on the phone is illegal and not allowed but you don't know the situation.  For now, give the benefit of the doubt and let it go.  If you were to see the same driver always on the phone daily, then yes, it needs to be addresses.

Always choose your battles.  Remember, driver are only human and sometimes make mistakes.  Calmly discuss with driver.  Don't be confrontational.  You'll get nowhere.  Your reports can have consequences.  Think first.  Do you want him in trouble or to just stop.  To report or to discuss.  Hey, if he's an ass, then report but if you can discuss it and he stops it, then mission accomplished.

I appreciate your response and agree with what you're saying. Definitely the most respectful/sensible reply here - thanks!

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2018 at 2:00 PM, TransferCutter said:

To the contrary - driving while on a cell phone is not only illegal, but has been proven time and time and time again to have a serious detrimental effect to the attentiveness of the driver. I don't care about the driver's situation, he/she should not be using it whatsoever while driving. Period. It's bad enough when someone in their personal vehicle does it, but as a bus driver you are also risking the safety of your passengers, as well as the other road users. You have a large vehicle that can cause a lot of damage to those around you.

If you need to use it, pull the vehicle over, put it in park, and get out of the seat - just as the HTA states.

Dan

• Thanks 4

That's the last thing Islington needs as a whole, it's already crumbling to points beyond repair.

Very interesting that the fire broke out on a bus that is practically brand new.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, lip said:

That's the last thing Islington needs as a whole, it's already crumbling to points beyond repair.

Very interesting that the fire broke out on a bus that is practically brand new.

A fire can happen to any bus. New or old

57 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

There was a MiWay bus fire at Islington Station today, it was 1796.

ImageCorp_20181015112926.jpg

ImageCorp_20181015112428-1.jpg

Pic Credit to Andre

Will they repair it or will they keep a 2008 New Flyer D60LFR running longer to replace it?

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

A fire is the last thing that shelter needs.

It won't be surprising if that bay closes permanently for structural damages.

1 hour ago, STO_1601 said:

Will they repair it or will they keep a 2008 New Flyer D60LFR running longer to replace it?

They'll probably get another Nova Artic to replace it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

They'll probably get another Nova Artic to replace it

Probably a long shot, but I wouldn’t be sure about calling it a write off. The front part seems untouched, so there’s still more than half a bus left. Can anyone comment on the structural integrity of it after all that? I want to say it’s still salvageable because most of the damage seems to be contained to the rear left corner. 

I use 1352 as a precedent, despite the lack of fireworks in that case.

21 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Probably a long shot, but I wouldn’t be sure about calling it a write off. The front part seems untouched, so there’s still more than half a bus left. Can anyone comment on the structural integrity of it after all that? I want to say it’s still salvageable because most of the damage seems to be contained to the rear left corner. 

Knowing MiWay, I really don't think they'll fix it, it's better off buying a new bus and salvaging parts from that. A driver friend I know also said they'll probably just get another one.

If they really want to cheap out and get a new trailer for the bus...

13 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Knowing MiWay, I really don't think they'll fix it, it's better off buying a new bus and salvaging parts from that. A driver friend I know also said they'll probably just get another one.

If they really want to cheap out and get a new trailer for the bus...

How much is a Nova Artic again?

5 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

How much is a Nova Artic again?

According to a source, about 800k. Even if it isn't written off, they might just get another one to save the hassle of repairs, like what TTC did with 1517 and 1671. But that is my assumption. If they get a new back for 1796, good for them.

5 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

Isn't that Bus under warranty anyways

Yes it is

3 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It won't be surprising if that bay closes permanently for structural damages.

It wont be closed permanently. But it will be closed until whichever damage is fixed.

12 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

It wont be closed permanently. But it will be closed until whichever damage is fixed.

it was reopened by 3:45 pm tonight. There wasnt much damage, although the wall did have a scorch mark on it. The roadway also looked damaged in the area under the mark, although that may have been there already.

Screenshot_20181015-172750_Photos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

One of MTA's 2011 Nova LFS's caught fire while on the S53 IIRC back in 2012 and that had a MUCH worse fire then this bus. It only came back into service about  a year ago after being MIA for the last 5 years!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chris.A said:

One of MTA's 2011 Nova LFS's caught fire while on the S53 IIRC back in 2012 and that had a MUCH worse fire then this bus. It only came back into service about  a year ago after being MIA for the last 5 years!

What bus would that be?