MiWay

Orion VIII

The question is , what is the model split today and what was it 20 years ago??

What was the population of Mississauga 2002 and what is it today?

What was the projected numbers for Mississauga population for 2025 and what is it today? What year was it based on?

What does it cost to put someone in the driver seat today based on 10 minute service 7 days a week and what will it be in 2040??

What is the load number based on off peak and peak hours for 40's and 60's buses?

What will the numbers be for LRV's??

What is the current ridership numbers for 2, 17, 103 and 502 in Mississauga today and back in 2018?

What were Hurontario numbers back in 2010?

What does it cost to buy a 40 and 60 hybrid bus compare to a diesel Bus?

How many buses demean spare are dead buses?

How many systems are short personnel on all levels? Does this includes Mississauga?

12 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Population itself isn’t directly related to ridership. Other factors like cost of living, gas prices, car sales availability could also drive transit ridership higher. So even if Mississauga stops growing, ridership could still grow.

True, but not the way Council looks at it. They want to know how many boarding takes place yearly and how to keep transit from eating a bigger chunk of the yearly budget.

Today ratio is nearly the same as it was 20 years ago, yet the population has exceeded its projected numbers by 20% and will be seeing over 1.2 million come 2040 with a transit system not able to handle it like today.

Can't have density in a few areas like what been plan as it will not help a system as a whole, not a part here and there with no real connection city wide.

Do some routes have mixed regular/artic bus service? Since I feel like the route i most often ride (46 Tenth Line Osprey) would do good with artics on 2 runs due to the communities that the route serves. The 7:38 am running for the Northbound service and the 2:41 running of the Southbound route due to the times at which the local high schools start and dismiss respectively. On the 2:41 running the 40 foot busses are filled to the brim and an artic would solve said problem.

On 10/6/2022 at 1:17 PM, Orion_II said:

Do some routes have mixed regular/artic bus service? Since I feel like the route i most often ride (46 Tenth Line Osprey) would do good with artics on 2 runs due to the communities that the route serves. The 7:38 am running for the Northbound service and the 2:41 running of the Southbound route due to the times at which the local high schools start and dismiss respectively. On the 2:41 running the 40 foot busses are filled to the brim and an artic would solve said problem.

Most of the routes that articulated buses run on are like that, actually. Usually it is because of capacity, but some serve school runs like the situation you described. Some of them could really do with articulated buses at all times (like the 42, where ridership has significantly increased over the last few years).

On 10/6/2022 at 1:17 PM, Orion_II said:

Agreed, I commute using 46 regularly and I actually switched to taking an earlier bus to avoid the high school crowd. The issue is I'm not sure it is cost-effective to deadhead an articulated bus from one of the other corridors just to serve a single run in the morning and afternoon. Perhaps running more frequent buses at that time is needed instead?

On 10/1/2022 at 8:55 PM, MiExpress said:

So what to do? It's a very valid problem despite the constraints. Writing to MiWay's service development department as well as the local city councillor would be a good start making it clear the buses are completely full and more service hours (budget issue, city council) and capacity (artics) is required. Hopefully at the least MiWay can figure out a way to get artics back on the 110 until more service hours can be approved in the budget and drivers hired. UTM students collectively pay millions of dollars in U-Pass fees to the city so it's reasonable to expect better than what's currently offered and I would hope any feedback is taken very seriously, at the very least there should be a way to put artics on the 110 beginning in January with the additional 16 artic buses that will be in the fleet by then.

Thank you for your insightful comments. I will probably look into this and suggest that some of my peers do the same.

21 minutes ago, AWEChess1 said:

Agreed, I commute using 46 regularly and I actually switched to taking an earlier bus to avoid the high school crowd. The issue is I'm not sure it is cost-effective to deadhead an articulated bus from one of the other corridors just to serve a single run in the morning and afternoon. Perhaps running more frequent buses at that time is needed instead?

Thank you for your insightful comments. I will probably look into this and suggest that some of my peers do the same.

More frequent busses would actually be a wonderful solution because of the timing. The high school that the majority of the high school crowd uses dismisses at 2:20, and one run of the 46S arrives at the high school bus stop at 2:19 while the other arrives at 2:41, so you get one bus which is completely dead, and the next bus is packed. Of course, if the 2:19 bus is delayed by anything more than 2-3 minutes, its the packed bus.

On 10/10/2022 at 8:32 AM, Orion_II said:

More frequent busses would actually be a wonderful solution because of the timing. The high school that the majority of the high school crowd uses dismisses at 2:20, and one run of the 46S arrives at the high school bus stop at 2:19 while the other arrives at 2:41, so you get one bus which is completely dead, and the next bus is packed. Of course, if the 2:19 bus is delayed by anything more than 2-3 minutes, its the packed bus.

There are also the factors of not having enough drivers and service levels being frozen for this year.  Meaning any new service is simply a re-allocation of existing service, then subject to driver availability.  MiWay has faced issues with certain trips not being served because of the driver shortage.  Generally, the routes seeing potential missing trips have either alternatives or are frequent enough that the additional ridership can be absorbed by the remaining vehicles in service.

With that being said, here are the Service Changes for October 24:

Service Changes on Monday, October 24

Starting Monday, Oct. 24, 2022, there will be MiWay service changes that include increasing service on some routes to respond to ridership growth and making schedule adjustments on other routes to improve service reliability.

Service increases due to high demand

The routes below will have increased service to respond to ridership growth and provide more capacity where and when customers need it.

• 2 Hurontario (weekdays)
  • 7 Airport (Saturday and Sunday)
  • 26 Burnhamthorpe (weekdays)

Schedule adjustments

Schedule adjustments will be made on the routes below to improve service reliability as traffic and ridership patterns continue to evolve throughout the city.

MiWay will make further schedule adjustments as needed to ensure that services remain responsive to customer needs.

• 5 Dixie (weekdays, Saturday and Sunday)
  • 8 Cawthra (weekdays and Saturday)
  • 9 Rathburn-Thomas (weekdays)
  • 10 Bristol-Britannia (weekdays and Saturday)
  • 16/16A Malton (weekdays)
  • 20 Rathburn (weekdays, Saturday and Sunday)
  • 30 Rexdale (weekdays and Saturday)

Please check for updated schedules.

Next planned service change – Monday, December 19, 2022.

I guess I'll have to go through the schedules, but which routes from the second list will have their service reallocated to the ones on the first list?  Without mentioning a reduction in service as in previous Service Change announcements, "Service Adjustments" simply sounds like there may be modifications to the various schedules.  MiWay may simply be sugar-coating the situation by taking a bus or two off one route (thereby increasing the headway/reducing the frequency) and putting it on another.

We'll have to see if transit is a ballot box issue with the Municipal Elections in a few weeks.  It doesn't sound like it based on the election material I've been getting in the mail.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gil said:

There are also the factors of not having enough drivers and service levels being frozen for this year.  Meaning any new service is simply a re-allocation of existing service, then subject to driver availability.  MiWay has faced issues with certain trips not being served because of the driver shortage.  Generally, the routes seeing potential missing trips have either alternatives or are frequent enough that the additional ridership can be absorbed by the remaining vehicles in service.

With that being said, here are the Service Changes for October 24:

Service Changes on Monday, October 24

Starting Monday, Oct. 24, 2022, there will be MiWay service changes that include increasing service on some routes to respond to ridership growth and making schedule adjustments on other routes to improve service reliability.

Service increases due to high demand

The routes below will have increased service to respond to ridership growth and provide more capacity where and when customers need it.

• 2 Hurontario (weekdays)
  • 7 Airport (Saturday and Sunday)
  • 26 Burnhamthorpe (weekdays)

Schedule adjustments

Schedule adjustments will be made on the routes below to improve service reliability as traffic and ridership patterns continue to evolve throughout the city.

MiWay will make further schedule adjustments as needed to ensure that services remain responsive to customer needs.

• 5 Dixie (weekdays, Saturday and Sunday)
  • 8 Cawthra (weekdays and Saturday)
  • 9 Rathburn-Thomas (weekdays)
  • 10 Bristol-Britannia (weekdays and Saturday)
  • 16/16A Malton (weekdays)
  • 20 Rathburn (weekdays, Saturday and Sunday)
  • 30 Rexdale (weekdays and Saturday)

Please check for updated schedules.

Next planned service change – Monday, December 19, 2022.

I guess I'll have to go through the schedules, but which routes from the second list will have their service reallocated to the ones on the first list?  Without mentioning a reduction in service as in previous Service Change announcements, "Service Adjustments" simply sounds like there may be modifications to the various schedules.  MiWay may simply be sugar-coating the situation by taking a bus or two off one route (thereby increasing the headway/reducing the frequency) and putting it on another.

We'll have to see if transit is a ballot box issue with the Municipal Elections in a few weeks.  It doesn't sound like it based on the election material I've been getting in the mail.

Route 46 will have one all day bus removed (3 to 2) reducing the weekday frequency from 23 to 35 minutes all day.

As for service increases:

• Route 2's weekday evening service between 6-9pm improves from 10 to 8 minutes
  • Route 26's weekday rush hour frequency improves from 17 to 14 minutes; midday and evening service improves from 26 to 21 minutes. This essentially restores the pre-covid service levels on the route.
  • Route 7's Saturday midday frequency improves from 30 to 24 minutes; Sunday all day frequency improves from 40 to 30 minutes.

While budgeted service hours are still a issue resulting in some cases of "robbing peter to pay paul" hopefully with new drivers being hired this fall the staffing situation will be less of a issue. The strong rumour is there will be another redesign of the Derry service in the new year, with the a new variant being reintroduced operating between Sheridan College and Humber College. Presumably this would be accomplished by reworking the 42A design and cancelling route 18, and depending on what route it takes in the east end possible changes to routes 22 and 30.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AWEChess1 said:

Where did you find this out from? The service changes page didn't mention anything changing about 46.

Looks like it was omitted from the service change posting on the website perhaps by mistake, however if you check the schedules on the MiWay site for the 46 on October 24 it shows the new schedule with 35 minutes frequency. 

Stay away from the QEW starting Oct 28-31 in Mississauga as you will be in a major traffic jam. This was to had taken place Thanksgiving weekend with a 65 hour closure, but wasn't ready for the closure considering it was known 2 years ago.

The east side of Hurontario St is close and will be dug up for both direction to allow for the push box for the "NEW" 3 northbound lanes to be push into position and the existing QEW lanes rebuilt. "ALL" QEW traffic will use a 2 lane off/on ramp to bypass the closure. The existing Northbound lanes will be converted for the LRT.

As far as I know, no Hurontario traffic will be allow to use the ramps as it would slow down the QEW traffic a lot more.

Route 2 is on Major Detour by the Queensway-Cawthra-Lakeshore as far as I know at this time

<https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/10/13/weekend-restrictions-on-qew-partial-closure-of-hurontario/>

8 hours ago, MiExpress said:

Looks like it was omitted from the service change posting on the website perhaps by mistake, however if you check the schedules on the MiWay site for the 46 on October 24 it shows the new schedule with 35 minutes frequency. 

I was wondering as this set of service changes looked pretty thin.  Funnily enough there was a survey on how to improve the website.  Posting all of the content would be one thing!  Still waiting on word for the next MiWay5 plan...

2 hours ago, drum118 said:

Stay away from the QEW starting Oct 28-31 in Mississauga as you will be in a major traffic jam. This was to had taken place Thanksgiving weekend with a 65 hour closure, but wasn't ready for the closure considering it was known 2 years ago.

The east side of Hurontario St is close and will be dug up for both direction to allow for the push box for the "NEW" 3 northbound lanes to be push into position and the existing QEW lanes rebuilt. "ALL" QEW traffic will use a 2 lane off/on ramp to bypass the closure. The existing Northbound lanes will be converted for the LRT.

As far as I know, no Hurontario traffic will be allow to use the ramps as it would slow down the QEW traffic a lot more.

Route 2 is on Major Detour by the Queensway-Cawthra-Lakeshore as far as I know at this time

<https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/10/13/weekend-restrictions-on-qew-partial-closure-of-hurontario/>

The link in your post isn't hyperlinked, so clicking on it doesn't work - I've fixed it above.  Here it is again:

https://blog.metrolinx.com/2022/10/13/weekend-restrictions-on-qew-partial-closure-of-hurontario/

3 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Xcelsiors are in production, found them on a FB group.

13ED6813-A234-4CF1-BED7-CBBB62431D18.jpeg

A216C6CB-2EB4-4B53-8CC2-FF2B93D62EF7.jpeg

If these are the 22XX XDE40s, then these should replace the last of the remaining D40LFs. Personally, I'll be glad to see the 03XX and 05XX units go; I hate the interior in those things, its so drab and depressing. Its almost like those interiors were designed to make you feel bad for taking public transit. I'm glad that MiWay switched to using seats other than the 6488.

29 minutes ago, Toro said:

Does both CP and Malton do decommissioning? Or just Malton ?

Both garages do decommissioning. When buses are retired, they get sent to Malton than bidded off. Before CP stored everything which was was dead, not sure why they stopped doing that.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Both garages do decommissioning. When buses are retired, they get sent to Malton than bidded off. Before CP stored everything which was was dead, not sure why they stopped doing that.

If one was to spot retired miway buses what area would you suggest?

12 hours ago, Orion_II said:

If these are the 22XX XDE40s, then these should replace the last of the remaining D40LFs. Personally, I'll be glad to see the 03XX and 05XX units go; I hate the interior in those things, its so drab and depressing. Its almost like those interiors were designed to make you feel bad for taking public transit. I'm glad that MiWay switched to using seats other than the 6488.

That interior didn't change until the 08s.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orion_II said:

They're also almost 20 years old, cut them some slack. Trust me when I say you'll miss them when MiWay runs an electric fleet with hard plastic seats lol. 

• Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

They're also almost 20 years old, cut them some slack. Trust me when I say you'll miss them when MiWay runs an electric fleet with hard plastic seats lol. 

I know they're old, and I can appreciate how they're time capsules of sorts, allowing us a window into the past of transit for those of us who never got to experience it when it was current, either because they didnt care or because they werent born yet. I like the new seats they have though; I feel like they're much bigger and support me better when I'm sitting in them. The 6488s seem small and I hate how the back is just hard plastic, while on the newer seats you have the covering on the entire seat.

The only seats which are uncomfortable for me and some people are the novas. It hurts a lot while you sit on them during a long period of time. The plastic seats are pretty nice imo, they are also easier to wash compared to the other models.

On 10/18/2022 at 10:09 AM, drum118 said:

MiWay finally put out a notice on their website about the Hurontario/QEW detour:

image.thumb.png.79f44df759c9bc3389ff327f555d874f.png vs. image.thumb.png.92bd0139e3adb93258b23faf502644bf.png

Is the closure at Hurontario and South Service Rd. such that detour traffic cannot turn left onto Hurontario?  I'm guessing motorists will take the first (South Service Rd.) or second (Atwater/Mineola) opportunity to get back to Hurontario, neither of which are the official designated detour route for southbound motorists.

In other news are they doing some sort of work along Dixie Rd. north of Dundas?  There was a notice that the Bloor St. stops would be relocated while the existing stops were being rebuilt.  The temporary stops are much closer to Bloor St. making for a shorter walk when transferring.  Other stops along Dixie have had their glass removed and the sidewalks are all marked up to indicate the utilities underneath.  Are they shelters being relocated to accommodate some sort of multi-use trail which only partially exists along stretches of Dixie or is there some other utility work that requires the spaces current shelters occupy?

I'm still somewhat stumped by the placement of the stops at Dixie and Bloor.  It looks like a holdover from when a route ran east on Bloor and then north on Dixie, but nothing like that service seems to have existed.  The gas station would force any farside stop that far north for the northbound stop, but why wasn't there ever a nearside stop?

The Dixie/QEW interchange is also progressing to the point where approaches to a new (temporary? - the alignment isn't the one shown in the final plans) overpass across the QEW.  The area south of the Burger King has been recently resurfaced and I think will be the new (temporary?) home of the "bus terminal" at Dixie Mall.  The road realignments will affect the internal roads within the mall meaning an adjacent location is needed to maintain the terminal while work is ongoing.

I guess having both the Hurontario and Dixie interchanges closed for reconstruction and demolition/installation respectively at the same time would be a recipe for disaster!