MiWay

Orion VIII

8 hours ago, Shaun said:

But internal combustion engines are only 25% efficient, and that's with 100 years of development. 

Diesels are about 40% thermodynamically efficient, but that’s moot because I was advocating for trolley and battery electric technology over fuel cells in that post.

I was operating on the assumption that others here were intelligent enough to discern that without spoon feeding it to them.

Thank you for proving that wrong, yet again.

1 hour ago, Bus_Medic said:

Diesels are about 40% thermodynamically efficient, but that’s moot because I was advocating for trolley and battery electric technology over fuel cells in that post.

I was operating on the assumption that others here were intelligent enough to discern that without spoon feeding it to them.

Thank you for proving that wrong, yet again.

But even nuclear power generation is only 40% efficient. So what would the efficiency of trolley busses be? More or less than a diesel bus?

56 minutes ago, Shaun said:

But even nuclear power generation is only 40% efficient. So what would the efficiency of trolley busses be? More or less than a diesel bus?

At point of use, 95%
Here’s a link because I know you’re pathologically lazy

Check your favourite online source for the rest of the high school physics lecture. 

Anyone know when the 10XX Orion VII EPA10s are going to be retired? They've been here for 12 years, and as far as I know, thats the service life for Miway's busses. Granted, they havent exactly kept to that with the 03 and 05 D40LFs, and 06, 07, 08, and 09 D40LFRs still being around, but still. It'd make sense from a fleet simplification standpoint.

1 hour ago, Orion_II said:

Anyone know when the 10XX Orion VII EPA10s are going to be retired? They've been here for 12 years, and as far as I know, thats the service life for Miway's busses. Granted, they havent exactly kept to that with the 03 and 05 D40LFs, and 06, 07, 08, and 09 D40LFRs still being around, but still. It'd make sense from a fleet simplification standpoint.

The budgeted service life for MiWay buses is 15 years for 40’ and 12 years for 60’ buses, which has been in effect since 2013. What this means is the city will budget funding to replace buses based on this cycle. 

There are currently no plans to replace the 2010 Orions until at least 2025.

The 2003-2007 buses were supposed to be replaced based on the 15 year lifecycle however it was delayed to pursue federal funding for bus replacement which took a lot longer than expected to approve; and in the case of the 03s, a desire to replace the ElDorados sooner. 

12 years would be short life for them which are nothing bad currently…I think you refer to the artic buses which are targeted to be retired in 12 years, however more agencies currently will just keep them in service depending on how the new buses process.

12 years was a standard for buses that don't go through rebuilts. A lot of TAs retire buses at that age before the computer/electronics era. Now that prices rose with all the fancy electronics, sending buses out the door at 12 years became more unaffordable. 

All the buses that go out the door these days before 12 years are usually lemons. Like the 01XX Orion VIIs, the 09xx ElDorado ez riders and TTC's unrebuilt NG hybrids.

14 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

12 years was a standard for buses that don't go through rebuilts. A lot of TAs retire buses at that age before the computer/electronics era. Now that prices rose with all the fancy electronics, sending buses out the door at 12 years became more unaffordable. 

All the buses that go out the door these days before 12 years are usually lemons. Like the 01XX Orion VIIs, the 09xx ElDorado ez riders and TTC's unrebuilt NG hybrids.

The 01 Orions were lemons? First I’ve heard of that. I know they were the first ever VIIs so it wouldn’t surprise me, but still

1 hour ago, Doppelkupplung said:

The 01 Orions were lemons? First I’ve heard of that. I know they were the first ever VIIs so it wouldn’t surprise me, but still

Oh they keep catching fire. 2 of the 14 suffered early retirement cause they were burnt beyond repair. 

Then again, a handful of recent buses have caught fire and retired.

1 hour ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Oh they keep catching fire. 2 of the 14 suffered early retirement cause they were burnt beyond repair. 

Miway seems to have more bus fires than other agencies. 2 of their 2017 Novas were burnt and retired when they were super new.

8 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Wonder why they went with the EPA 10s ten years later if their original VIIs were crap. Did it have something to do with funding conditions from the provincial government? Wasn't the transitway opened around the time they were delivered?

54 minutes ago, Orion_II said:

Wonder why they went with the EPA 10s ten years later if their original VIIs were crap. Did it have something to do with funding conditions from the provincial government? Wasn't the transitway opened around the time they were delivered?

The explanation is here.

MiWay 1001-1020 - CPTDB Wiki

23 minutes ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Pretty service someone at Miway would have a chat with the TTC techs about their 8100 NGs before they committed to buy from them again. They must be satisfied enough to exercise an option for more.

The MiWay 2010 Orion VII NGs were purchased long before the TTC 8100s entered service.

The answer to the question is simple, the procurement process was conducted as usual in 2009 for the 2010 buses and Orion scored the best in evaluation score and cost. This is also the same reason why no Orions were purchased between 2003 and 2009, every procurement during that period for 40' buses resulted in New Flyer having the lowest cost and best evaluation score. In 2016 the procurement method for buses changed to no longer include an evaluated score, focusing strictly on compliance with the written specifications and lowest overall cost.

Every Mississauga Transit/MiWay bus order, even dating back to the 1970s was a result of a procurement process resulting in the order being awarded based on cost and/or bid evaluation score, or a extension of a contract that was initially awarded on those factors. This was even true during the large streak of Orion purchases in the 1980s and 1990s, every single time orders went out to bid Orion had the lowest cost. The only exception were the 1997 and 2001 D60LFs, which were sole sourced because there were no competing products available at the time.

The 2001 Orions were lemons, but there are false equivalences drawn between the experience and the bus purchases following them; and it's not like MiWay hasn't had issues with products and/or support from the other manufacturers at times.

Does anyone know when Miway is going to take delivery of 22XX busses? According to the wiki, they have 90 busses on order for this year and I dont think I've ever seen a 22XX bus before. It seems kinda late in the year to have them start delivering them. For reference this is about the 74 local XDE40 busses and the 16 XDE60 local busses.

16 hours ago, Orion_II said:

Does anyone know when Miway is going to take delivery of 22XX busses? According to the wiki, they have 90 busses on order for this year and I dont think I've ever seen a 22XX bus before. It seems kinda late in the year to have them start delivering them. For reference this is about the 74 local XDE40 busses and the 16 XDE60 local busses.

Lot of agencies are delayed due to parts and resource shortages, you may not see 22xx series enter till 2023 

The plan closure of Hurontario plan for Thanksgiving weekend will not take place as plan. The box itself and other things are not ready for the move and will/could take place either in Oct or Nov.

The box will be for the new northbound lanes for the QEW and it will require the closing of the QEW to put the box in. The LRT will use the current lanes. Traffic will use the on/off ramps to get around the closure that it will cause a few miles of traffic backup to place the box. It is wider than the existing bridge to allow another lane of traffic mostly for the new bridge over the Credit River.

MTO is calling the shots, but currently under review that will see Hurontario close at the Queensway, the Lakeshore and the South service Rd at Hurontario as well a 2nd one south of the Service Rd.

Route 2 will use the Queensway, Cawthra and the Lakeshore to/from Port Credit GO Station with unknown date at this time.

Work on the other box at PC is to start again in Oct with GO using buses in place of rail on weekends.

Does anyone know how training vehicles are selected? Is there a pool of them that they have or are they regular service busses that are pulled for training occasionally? I saw 2154 on a training run yesterday and that got me thinking of why they're using such a new bus instead of using something older, like the 10XX D60LFRs they still have.

Does anyone know how training vehicles are selected? Is there a pool of them that they have or are they regular service busses that are pulled for training occasionally? I saw 2154 on a training run yesterday and that got me thinking of why they're using such a new bus instead of using something older, like the 10XX D60LFRs they still have.

MiWay doesn't have a dedicated fleet for training buses, so whatever vehicles are available after every service run has been assigned can be used for training.

As well, all drivers will need to be familiar/qualified on all bus types; this means training needs to be held on all types (New Flyer, Nova, and Orions; standard and articulated; diesel and hybrids).

On 9/22/2022 at 11:44 AM, Articulated said:

MiWay doesn't have a dedicated fleet for training buses, so whatever vehicles are available after every service run has been assigned can be used for training.

As well, all drivers will need to be familiar/qualified on all bus types; this means training needs to be held on all types (New Flyer, Nova, and Orions; standard and articulated; diesel and hybrids).

Yup, I still remembered when drivers were being trained on Novas back in 2017-18

8 hours ago, transitfan100 said:

Yup, I still remembered when drivers were being trained on Novas back in 2017-18

Why did they go with Novas anyways? I get they were the cheapest people to respond to the tender, but don't they consider operational costs when getting busses? For the last 17 years proceeding the Nova orders, Miway was firmly in the NFI camp, with a couple of token orders to El Dorado and OBI here and there. Seems odd that they wouldn't consider it especially because of the less than 1M price different in the acquisition fees for the order that formed Miway 1730-1766. Wouldn't reduced training costs and streamlining of the fleet make up for the difference over the 15 year lifespan of the busses?

12 hours ago, Orion_II said:

Why did they go with Novas anyways? I get they were the cheapest people to respond to the tender, but don't they consider operational costs when getting busses? For the last 17 years proceeding the Nova orders, Miway was firmly in the NFI camp, with a couple of token orders to El Dorado and OBI here and there. Seems odd that they wouldn't consider it especially because of the less than 1M price different in the acquisition fees for the order that formed Miway 1730-1766. Wouldn't reduced training costs and streamlining of the fleet make up for the difference over the 15 year lifespan of the busses?

Keep in mind, if NFI thought Mississauga was 'in the bag' and never felt competition, their bid price would likely be higher. Knowing that MiWay will not hesitate to award a bid to a competitor keeps bidders honest and not complacent.