MiWay

Orion VIII

54 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

For example, YRT has more than enough fleet to use even if a portion of fleet goes for mechanical work/refurbishment. DRT also...

Not too sure about MiWay but I presume from a organizational standpoint, not having extra buses usually results in disgruntled employees who can do their work and runs often being missed or not fulfilled on time.

Golly, we had no idea. You’re so helpful!?

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Not too sure about MiWay but I presume from a organizational standpoint, not having extra buses usually results in disgruntled employees who can do their work and runs often being missed or not fulfilled on time.

Why would employees be disgruntled for not having an available bus to drive? They would still get paid for showing up to work. I surely wouldn't complain.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

I mean when I said "disgruntled" I mean boredom at the depot....

like they don't feel useful.

Stop with this nonsense. Vast majority of employees would not complain about having a break from driving since they are being paid regardless of what they are doing. Not feeling useful doesn't factor into it at all. Less driving also means less chances of an accident or incident happening. I'd rather deal with boredom than with writing reports and paperwork. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Someguy3071 said:

Stop with this nonsense. Vast majority of employees would not complain about having a break from driving since they are being paid regardless of what they are doing. Not feeling useful doesn't factor into it at all. Less driving also means less chances of an accident or incident happening. I'd rather deal with boredom than with writing reports and paperwork. 

Instagram on the clock…what’s not to like?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gamer Studios said:

But companies like MiWay don't pay people to primarily sit around...

The responsibility lies with the ones delegating orders. Not those following them.

Operators are paid to operate. If there’s no equipment, they’re paid to sit -and that’s none of their concern or worry. 

Someone else’s balls will be in a vise.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

7 hours ago, drum118 said:

This request for hydrogen has been on going since 2004

Transit advocates say green hydrogen has been slow-moving for city bus projects

As it should be.

At best, producing hydrogen by electrolysis is a really, really inefficient use of energy. Energy out Vs. Energy in just to make the stuff is about 80%, without factoring in energy used to transport it to point of use. The fuel cell itself is optimistically 60% efficient.

At worst, the “hydrogen economy” is a bullshit astroturfing attempt by the fossil fuel industry to stay relevant. 

There are already better mousetraps on the market.

• Like 3

I plan on heading out to Mississauga over the next few days to ride on the oldest buses before they retire.

Since I have not lived in Etobicoke for a long time, I would appreciate some updates on where the best places and routes to find them would be. Is it easy to find them on routes operating out of Kipling Station? Which terminals should I proceed to after that for the best chances of finding older buses?

The 03 and 05's can pretty much show up on any 40ft run, if you go to kipling or city centre terminals, you are almost guaranteed to see some, espescially on a weekday, but there should still be some out on weekends as well.

As for the 06's, the best place to find those is at westwood terminal, as most of them are at malton garage and most of the malton routes stop there. Note that the 06's almost never come out on weekends.

I would reccomend checking transit55.ca, its a tracker site that will tell you what routes they are on, and how long they will be out.

If you see any on routes 11 or 35, i reccomend riding those ones,  as those routes have longer highway sections which are fun to ride on the older buses. I also reccomend going after 0341, imo that one is in the best condition of all remaining D40LF's.

• Like 3

To add, you can also look up certain units of the 03/05 fleet and see which routes they've been doing. Some drivers prefer the older buses and if they don't have a pre-allocated unit for their run, they may regularly choose 03/05s from the pool of available buses, which would be reflected on t55.

But like he said above, a lot of them can be serving one route all day and you can coordinate your trips by checking where the bus will be later in the day by checking the individual blocks on t55. 

They also will be on splits as well^ May do around 3-5 routes per day depending on the crew. Like what H4 said, they can be seen anywhere but try getting them on the 35, it’s a really smooth right and end up going on the highway.

18 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

That’s been occurring more often because both garages are low on buses. I know CP/CX have major shortages and Malton might have it as well. You usually see both local and express buses on the 107. (108 included as well)

The 108 usually gets MiLocal buses because, being a rush hour route, a lot of its runs continue to local routes.

2 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

That’s been occurring more often because both garages are low on buses. I know CP/CX have major shortages and Malton might have it as well. You usually see both local and express buses on the 107. (108 included as well)

Would the upcoming new buses help solve the shortage problem?

On 8/26/2022 at 11:49 PM, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

Would the upcoming new buses help solve the shortage problem?

No

Buses that were to be retired stating with the 2003 to 2007 are still in service today or in the dead end line.  15 years is the life cycle after being raise from 12 that was drop from 18+ some years ago.

This means there are 15-19 year old buses on the road today with high maintenance cost.

The articulated buses have being having issues since day one meeting the 12 year life cycle, let alone 10 years with NFI. Lot more years to see if the NovaBus make the 12 year cycle.

The city been throwing transit under the bus for decades with great talk, but no action and with buses being order years late is another example. The idea of going green with hybrid buses come with a higher cost that council fail to understand doing so.

Rule of thumb from the top is what every in the yard that is ready for service goes into service regardless if it the wrong bus for the route or colour. Been riding a lot of express buses on local routes over a year and more so in the last 6 months.

Lot of riders only go by the colour of the bus that they either get on the wrong bus or wait till the right colour comes along, not the route number.

On 8/26/2022 at 5:52 PM, blue.bird.fan said:

I plan on heading out to Mississauga over the next few days to ride on the oldest buses before they retire.

Since I have not lived in Etobicoke for a long time, I would appreciate some updates on where the best places and routes to find them would be. Is it easy to find them on routes operating out of Kipling Station? Which terminals should I proceed to after that for the best chances of finding older buses?

I'm not sure about the kipling area, but here at Meadowvale we get a few 03 and 05 D40LF. I've found them on route 48, and its either them, the 17XX Nova busses, or on occasion some of the newer 11XX XD40s, but its mainly the Novas or the D40LFs. The terminal itself also has a wide variety, and if you spend a day there, you'll probably catch one of everything that Miway has, or at the very least get close to it.

I made a quick stopover at Sq One today in the afternoon, some 03/05s I spotted

0310 was on the 66 McLaughlin, 09 D40LFRs and even 1357 XD60 was on it

0514 was on the 28 Confederation, lots of blue XE40s on this route

0530 was on the 8 Cawthra

0531 was on the 10 Bristol-Britannia 

Kipling Station is probably the best place to stop them in Etobicoke. Renforth Terminal is also a place you can go. It's not too pedestrian friendly but if you can watch them on Eglinton. A Mcdonalds nearby can provide you some food/coffee and the terminal has washrooms. 

On 8/31/2022 at 1:11 PM, Orion_II said:

I'm not sure about the kipling area, but here at Meadowvale we get a few 03 and 05 D40LF. I've found them on route 48, and its either them, the 17XX Nova busses, or on occasion some of the newer 11XX XD40s, but its mainly the Novas or the D40LFs. The terminal itself also has a wide variety, and if you spend a day there, you'll probably catch one of everything that Miway has, or at the very least get close to it.

How nice that I saw this message right when I was heading to Meadowvale!

The trip has been quite successful so far. I got 0631 and 0641 on 7 and 24 respectively, and now 0544 on 34 to transfer at Erin Mills to go up to Meadowvale.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 6:31 PM, H4 5600 said:

The 03 and 05's can pretty much show up on any 40ft run, if you go to kipling or city centre terminals, you are almost guaranteed to see some, espescially on a weekday, but there should still be some out on weekends as well.

As for the 06's, the best place to find those is at westwood terminal, as most of them are at malton garage and most of the malton routes stop there. Note that the 06's almost never come out on weekends.

I would reccomend checking transit55.ca, its a tracker site that will tell you what routes they are on, and how long they will be out.

If you see any on routes 11 or 35, i reccomend riding those ones,  as those routes have longer highway sections which are fun to ride on the older buses. I also reccomend going after 0341, imo that one is in the best condition of all remaining D40LF's.

I am happy to report that I followed this advice and the trip was a resounding success. While I did not get any 2003s, I got a lot of 2005s and 2006s.

The full details can be found here, if y'all are interested: 

• Like 2

On 8/26/2022 at 8:53 AM, Bus_Medic said:

As it should be.

At best, producing hydrogen by electrolysis is a really, really inefficient use of energy. Energy out Vs. Energy in just to make the stuff is about 80%, without factoring in energy used to transport it to point of use. The fuel cell itself is optimistically 60% efficient.

At worst, the “hydrogen economy” is a bullshit astroturfing attempt by the fossil fuel industry to stay relevant. 

There are already better mousetraps on the market.

But internal combustion engines are only 25% efficient, and that's with 100 years of development.