MiWay

Orion VIII

7 hours ago, Gil said:

I have a feeling it's this latest crop of new hires that I've run into where they've skipped requested stops, not seen people standing at a stop and continue past it or who are driving well below the speed limit as they are still getting used to driving something as big as a bus (let alone an artic). On my commute into work today I got to see all 3.

I also witnessed a senior with her presumably 12-year old granddaughter board a bus. She paid a $1 and let her granddaughter go on for free.  The driver told her she had to pay.  Did grandma assume she was boarding a TTC or GO bus where kids are free?  She said she didn't know (about the child fare), but she knew about the $1 fare.  She was muttering something to her granddaughter that I didn't catch, but still got away without her paying.

Been noticing operators have been letting ppl on without paying (which I don’t care about) most don’t have money or didn’t refill their presto. I also noticed most new drivers pick crews which are less busy most of the times. I’ve heard they’ve taken school routes and the 76. 

On 7/20/2022 at 2:49 PM, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

Prob once the hybrids arrive and enter service. Nothing quite sure because I‘ve heard that those new buses have not started being produced yet.

Well they have a few weeks ago. I believe we’re looking at 10 buses a month. We’re supposed get them by the end of this month, or the start of next month and should hit the road fairly quick! According to what a UR said.

9 minutes ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

i know that but im asking what units are beinf produced right now... not whats on order.

All I heard was they’ve started production on the 2022 order, no idea which ones, but it’s probably the XDE40s.

2 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

Well they have a few weeks ago. I believe we’re looking at 10 buses a month. We’re supposed get them by the end of this month, or the start of next month and should hit the road fairly quick! According to what a UR said.

Would it be that quick lol People said they are not gonna be there until December

5 minutes ago, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

By the way are the 60 fts gonna to retire the D60LFRs we have now?

I believe so. If they're MiExpress, then yeah. I believe MiWay's minium for retiring artics is 10 years or 12 years. So yeah, they'll retire.

The D60LFRs are awesome ngl. The seats are so COMFY!!

Just now, Gamer Studios said:

Generally, buses are expected to hit a minimum age in their useful life (12 years for 60 footers & usually 12 or 18 years for 40 footers) before they are often considered for retirement.

However, @Articulated mentioned this once in another thread where there are other factors at play here and agencies are quite flexible with their retirement schedule. For example, if there is a existing shortage of buses, agencies typically try to use the buses they have on hand for as long as they can before they retire them. As well, in the event of service increases, they generally would keep extra buses around. One key example of this is the MTA where they kept some retiring D4500CLs due to the acquisition of two routes from Academy Bus.

With that said, buses can also prematurely retire usually as a result of bus fires or issue with parts.

True. Besides, look how LONG the D40LFs have lasted? 19-20 years?!

They're impressive..

On 8/13/2022 at 1:23 PM, hamilton.area.transit said:

i know that but im asking what units are beinf produced right now... not whats on order.

Just wait and see that's what I do. If you look at some older posts, there should be an estimated timeline for when buses will be delivered. Dont listen to him right now. He is stirring the pot again.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamilton.area.transit said:

The D60LFRs will most likely to retire next year with 22 MiExpress XDE60s on order. I highly doubt that Miway will replace the MiExpress artics with MiLocal artics.

Express and local have been a mess already now in Miway lol Actually who will care what kind of buses to ride on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DiltonPlayzYT said:

True. Besides, look how LONG the D40LFs have lasted? 19-20 years?!

They're impressive..

It’s because they’ve been maintaining the 03s and 05s with extra care I guess. If they weren’t, they would have been breaking down, and would have many different issues, frame corrosion (etc). They’re 17-19 years old.

4 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

^ What I meant was that MiWay is a fleet shortage. Apparently at one point it gotten so bad, ops have to sit around to wait for buses to "free up"

Next ti.e edit your first post. No need to double post.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

^ What I meant was that MiWay is a fleet shortage. Apparently at one point it gotten so bad, ops have to sit around to wait for buses to "free up"

Is this the common phenomenon for GTA bus agencies currently as many of them have not had large-scaled bus shifting during these 2-3 years? Like the yrt they still keep the early D40LFs and the TTC keeps the roaring Orion diesels. 

49 minutes ago, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

Is this the common phenomenon for GTA bus agencies currently as many of them have not had large-scaled bus shifting during these 2-3 years? Like the yrt they still keep the early D40LFs and the TTC keeps the roaring Orion diesels. 

In the case of the TTC, they currently have a huge bus surplus. I can't speak to the other GTA agencies, however.

Dan

So the 61 and 66 going all Blue bus operation, is it specific to artic, or any bus that's blue?

Is it that the local artic allocation is tight or not enough?

I'm also curious about the 110, one route that used to be very heavy ridership-wise and lots of artics used. It'll be interesting to see if the 110 gets to that level again abd the artic allocation is already accounted for on the 1/1C, 5, 35, 39(?), 42, 61, 66, 101/101A, 103 and 109.

Lastly, I see that with MiWay not bringing back the 185, guessing Brampton isn't doing the sane?

Could there be a chance to see one agency providing that route while the other stands ididly by?

1 hour ago, Gamer Studios said:

Most agencies usually account to have some extra buses (i.e. just in case some go into the shop and get stuck there for a bit).

All agencies need to keep a certain spares for routine maintenance. They also need to employ enough mechanics to keep the entire fleet up to date. TTC sucked at this a decade ago so MDBF was like 5,000 km and buses keep breaking down. I'm glad they made major changes in this.

9 hours ago, Gamer Studios said:

Most agencies usually account to have some extra buses (i.e. just in case some go into the shop and get stuck there for a bit).

I'm well aware - it's called the spares ratio, and in public transit, it usually is about 15% to 18% of the total size of the fleet.

If an agency - such as Mississauga Transit - is having trouble getting enough vehicles onto the road, then their ratio is going to be at the lower end of that range.

Dan

53 minutes ago, smallspy said:

I'm well aware - it's called the spares ratio, and in public transit, it usually is about 15% to 18% of the total size of the fleet.

If an agency - such as Mississauga Transit - is having trouble getting enough vehicles onto the road, then their ratio is going to be at the lower end of that range.

Dan

MIWay (or Mississauga Transit if that's your preference) has consistently operated at a higher spare ratio than what is considered the norm in the industry. This was true even pre-COVID; in September 2019 there was a peak requirement of 384/500 buses resulting in a 24% spare ratio. The current requirement is approximately 315/475 buses (some buses retired without direct replacement during COVID) resulting in a 34% spare ratio.

Staffing availability and parts supply issues are probably having a impact in addition to extended downtime due to structural work on order buses (40% of the fleet is 12+ years old); also relevant during the heat wave a few weeks back was a rash of buses out of service for repairs to the A/C systems.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

So the 61 and 66 going all Blue bus operation, is it specific to artic, or any bus that's blue?

Is it that the local artic allocation is tight or not enough?

I'm also curious about the 110, one route that used to be very heavy ridership-wise and lots of artics used. It'll be interesting to see if the 110 gets to that level again abd the artic allocation is already accounted for on the 1/1C, 5, 35, 39(?), 42, 61, 66, 101/101A, 103 and 109.

Lastly, I see that with MiWay not bringing back the 185, guessing Brampton isn't doing the sane?

Could there be a chance to see one agency providing that route while the other stands ididly by?

The 11, and the 66, will be getting blue buses not the 61. It’s it’s probably both 60fts and 40ft express on the 66, as for the 11, I’m guessing 40ft Express unless it’s gotten a bigger ridership. I also have the same question with how they will handle 60fts on all the busy routes. At the same time MiWay has 16 MiLocal XDE60s on order to help with overcrowd so that should help. As for the 110, when UTM opened up on September it didn’t seem like ridership increased like how it was pre-covid, so it’s probably going to stick with 40fts only until they see a major increase in ridership.

• Like 1