MiWay

Orion VIII

6 hours ago, ZümmyZüm said:

You mean a bus was used to cover a trip that otherwise would be cancelled? That’s common everywhere..

Just felt surprised they put a 60 foot bus on a route with short trip even on Sunday. Seemed like artic can go anywhere like the express buses too.

What ever is left in the garage, Is what operators will take. Even if it’s a 60ft bus and the driver needs to do a 40ft route (ie, 68, 45, 9, 3, 23, etc) he will end up taking that. Same thing goes for a 40ft bus.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2022 at 6:18 PM, ngdvd said:

Timberlea workers probably would be better served by full service for 43 Matheson-Argentia and extension of 51 Tomken along West Dr. to Bramalea. With full two-way service and slight re-alignment, 43 Matheson-Argentia could also replace 25 Traders, 70 Keaton, and 74 Explorer. It would also allow 38 Creditview to be taken off Argentia and connect directly to 42 Derry, bringing back a north-south option to residents and workers of the Financial Dr area, which they lost with the re-alignment of 61 Mavis to Sheridan. Fully serving Timberlea directly would be difficult and not really necessary given the close proximity to so many trunk routes. Probably too many small routes in that area already.

I think if they are truly serious about transforming 8 Cawthra into a trunk route and filling in those gaps and completing the grid network, they also need to re-align 8 Cawthra to connect to 23 Lakeshore directly. That's another huge gap, especially considering even 5 Dixie makes a detour off Dixie onto Ogden there, so even that is not a direct connnction to Lakeshare. Mineola, Atwater, and Ogden probably would be better served by extension of 14 Truscott-Indian Road to Dixie Mall, or maybe even further to Sherway Gardens.

All-day service on the 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA would duplicate the 39 BRITANNIA while also impacting the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK.  The whole Matheson-Britannia corridor was identified by Metrolinx as a priority bus corridor.  I just wish they'd take the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK off the Transitway already (the construction is over) just so a reasonable transfer can be made at Dixie.  Granted there are quite a number of people who use the Crestlawn stop on the southbound (eastbound?) trip who would likely either transfer onto the 5 DIXIE or walk from Eglinton.  There is no corresponding stop in the other direction for return trips in the afternoon.

I'd almost advocate for both the 38 (along Meadowvale/Meadowpine via Financial) and 38A (via Argentia) running during the week for the CREDITVIEW route, while a shorter circulator route covering Kitimat and Millcreek.  That just leaves the segment of Matheson between Kennedy and Terry Fox without a through-route replacement.  They could go back to the earliest 5 Year Plan iteration with the 54 MATHESON-ARGENTIA (?) ending at Traders and Kennedy.

As for the realignment of services in South Mississauga, it was alluded to in the last 5 Year Plan, but never implemented.  Still waiting on word for the next 5 Year Plan.  The 14 LORNE PARK was to continue eastward to Dixie Mall (via Atwater and Ogden) and Sherway with rush hour service to Dixie GO.  The 5 DIXIE would remain on Dixie down to Long Branch after serving Dixie Mall.  The 8 CAWTHRA would remain anchored at Port Credit but its northern terminus would be the Cawthra Transitway station.  Other tweaks related to reconfiguring the Transitway stations to allow for non-Transitway routes to connect with them (presumably the 10 BRISTOL for example) will leave small network gaps where historic service is removed.

Given the priority service they're trying to implement along Lakeshore in anticipation of the Lakeview redevelopment, I don't know why they don't change the routing of the 8 CAWTHRA to Long Branch instead to make up for the rerouted 5 DIXIE which just misses the redevelopment with the stop at Ogden.  Rush hour service on the 23 LAKESHORE is already prone to delays, likely due to the length of the route.  Having a service that covers most of Lakeshore West (leaving the gap between Cawthra and Hurontario to the 23 LAKESHORE) would give passengers another hopefully on-time option.

My guess is that restructuring around the routes serving Dixie Mall are contingent on the completion of the interchange rebuild.  The Transitway terminals are in response to the Hurontario LRT and the desire to minimize routes having to cross into the construction zone.  The completion of the LRT will also lead to a bit of restructuring and reallocation.  Perhaps the return of the 185 DIXIE all the way down to Dixie Mall as planned?  I wonder how Brampton Transit will reallocate the 502 ZÜM MAIN?  They are looking to add additional corridors, some into Mississauga.

We'll have to see the impact of increase ridership as a result of higher gas prices and the subsequent provincial transfers related to gas taxes (which have increased along with the prices, but have been paused for the latter half of 2022) will have on MiWay's ability to increase its operating budget for next year.  The current freeze in spending means MiWay is just reallocating its resources and not adding any net new service to the network. 

On 7/4/2022 at 5:06 PM, GZ6113PHEV5 said:

Just felt surprised they put a 60 foot bus on a route with short trip even on Sunday. Seemed like artic can go anywhere like the express buses too.

Those 60' buses are easier to fit in smaller spaces than many 40' buses, since the rear wheels follow the middle wheels, it's basically just driving a 35' bus.

8 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

I believe that’s the case with the flyers but I’m quite sure the nova artics have the same wheelbase as the 40s.

The 40ft Novas have a shorter wheelbase than the 40ft New Flyers so if you're saying the 60ft Novas have same wheelbase as the 40ft Novas, then they are still shorter than the Orion and New Flyer 40ft wheelbases.

Can I just say, I can't imagine being a passenger on the 2 these days; that is just such a sad state of affairs (referring to south of Queensway). Its a great way to sum up the general attitude towards transit in these parts. Contruction? To hell with the buses, they can sit and rot in the mess. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Can I just say, I can't imagine being a passenger on the 2 these days; that is just such a sad state of affairs (referring to south of Queensway). Its a great way to sum up the general attitude towards transit in these parts. Contruction? To hell with the buses, they can sit and rot in the mess. 

I've noticed the mess at the QEW interchange going south where the right lane leads you into QEW west, I saw other drivers having to make a last second lane change when they want to continue going south on Hurontario.

8 hours ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Anyone know if bus 0302 is still active?

As of right now yes, it just had a semi-annual inspection a few weeks ago. Depending on what work is needed as a result not uncommon for a bus to be out of service a couple weeks waiting on parts stock, shop space, manpower etc. especially in COVID times.

If a bus needs structural work or major engine/transmission work it could result in it being out of service for up to 2-3 months. Given all this, a bus being out of service a month in the case of 0302 isn't a indicator that it is retired.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FabianColeyLOVESBUSES said:

Oh okay.  I am new riding and fanning Miway.  Any idea when the D40lfs will be phased out? I heard early 2023. 

Prob once the hybrids arrive and enter service. Nothing quite sure because I‘ve heard that those new buses have not started being produced yet.

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, H4 5600 said:

Screenshot_20220806-111521~2.png

Looks like they targeted the more frequent service or those with alternatives to minimize the impacts on routes that have more limited frequency or service. 

Especially with the current labour shortage and trying to retain and hire new transit operators is an industry wide problem. 

2 hours ago, Byfold said:

What do you propose they do?  There is a shortage all over Canada! 

Yea it’s that but not only that. MiWay is in a really bad shape due to how bad management is doing their work. In the last few months, more than 150+ Drivers have quit their jobs due to them being stressed out completely and (etc). They don’t get enough layover times, they most of the times can’t even use the bathroom, most of the times can’t eat their lunch (etc). They get no time on any of the routes in the city and schedules are so tight. MiWay is also low on buses which makes it even harder. Theirs also major issues on Mavis but they haven’t done anything which would help solve the issue. From my understanding, and sources from other operators, MiWay employees should be going on strike in the next few months or possibly next year. They also have issues in the Union Rep department, where the reps sometimes don’t get access to the stuff they need, and their trying to expose that matter. This is the first time I’ve seen MiWay this bad imo

Every single issue you posted above are a common problem at most transit systems in North America. 

It's very easy to point the blame on management.   However they can only do so much with the funding provided from the city council.

2 hours ago, Byfold said:

It's very easy to point the blame on management.   However they can only do so much with the funding provided from the city council.

It's not just funding. You can't hire people who don't apply.

Dan

• Thanks 1

MiWay isnt helping themselves with applicants who may not get through the first initial rounds of the process; they reject them and they dont continue on in the process. I've heard of other municipalities (ie: Waterloo) who re-open and reconsider certain applicants who may have been rejected.

23 hours ago, lip said:

MiWay isnt helping themselves with applicants who may not get through the first initial rounds of the process; they reject them and they dont continue on in the process. I've heard of other municipalities (ie: Waterloo) who re-open and reconsider certain applicants who may have been rejected.

I have a feeling it's this latest crop of new hires that I've run into where they've skipped requested stops, not seen people standing at a stop and continue past it or who are driving well below the speed limit as they are still getting used to driving something as big as a bus (let alone an artic). On my commute into work today I got to see all 3.

I also witnessed a senior with her presumably 12-year old granddaughter board a bus. She paid a $1 and let her granddaughter go on for free.  The driver told her she had to pay.  Did grandma assume she was boarding a TTC or GO bus where kids are free?  She said she didn't know (about the child fare), but she knew about the $1 fare.  She was muttering something to her granddaughter that I didn't catch, but still got away without her paying.