MiWay

Orion VIII

Malton routes (crews) are still operated by Malton based drivers on weekends, except they report to Central rather than Malton. 

9 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

CP drivers can be assigned to any route which includes Malton routes. Malton drivers can be assigned on any routes which includes CP routes (weekend)/(weekday). In the other news, seems like MiWay wants to retire all diesel buses by 2028 according to a meeting with the DOT and a few others, but considering some buses won’t be 14 years old by than I assume it won’t happen. Seems like MiWay is in a hurry to replace all diesel buses eh?

Of course it isn't going to happen, because 2028 is when MiWay projects they will stop purchasing diesel powered buses, the full transition to zero emission bus fleet is currently projected for 2042. There is also no such thing as the "DOT" by the way. 

1 minute ago, MiExpress said:

Malton routes (crews) are still operated by Malton based drivers on weekends, except they report to Central rather than Malton. 

Of course it isn't going to happen, because 2028 is when MiWay projects they will stop purchasing diesel powered buses, the full transition to zero emission bus fleet is currently projected for 2042. There is also no such thing as the "DOT" by the way. 

Director Of Transit?

17 minutes ago, MiExpress said:

15 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Director Of Transit?

The common interpretation for DOT is the American (Federal, State-level and in some cases County or Municipal) Department of Transportation, which would be the equivalent to the Ministry of Transportation (or MTO - does the O stand for Ontario or is it an anachronism from when it included something else?  The Ministry of Health is shortened to MOH/MoH, so wouldn't that extend to MOT/MoT?)  Mississauga does have a Department of Transportation and Public Works which includes MiWay.  I don't know if it's been permanently renamed Transportation and Streets or if that's just what's listed on the City's website to give it a more identifiable name to the public.

The Service Updates advises that the 68 TERRY FOX will not be operating on Good Friday.  Again, Sunday (and by extension somewhat Holiday) service was cut on this route as of September last year.  When ridership levels recover will MiWay get rid of the Sunday/Holiday service distinction?

68 Terry Fox North (1 update)
Upcoming
  • April 15, 2022

On Good Friday, Friday, April 15, 2022, this route will not operate to match low customer demand.

68 Terry Fox South (1 update)
Upcoming
  • April 15, 2022

On Good Friday, Friday, April 15, 2022, this route will not operate to match low customer demand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PrimeTio said:

Director Of Transit?

The first thing that came to mind was Department of Transportation as Gil stated. No need to use vague and confusing acronyms when you could have just spelled out 'Director'. Also, not even two pages ago on this thread was a full summary of MiWay's electrification plans including the 2028 date to stop purchasing diesel buses and the 2042 target date for full electrification. You even 'liked' that post so no need to post inaccurate speculation when you are aware of the actual facts.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Mississauga does have a Department of Transportation and Public Works which includes MiWay.  I don't know if it's been permanently renamed Transportation and Streets or if that's just what's listed on the City's website to give it a more identifiable name to the public.

It's the Transportation and Works department of which MiWay is a division. https://www.mississauga.ca/our-organization/leadership-team/

1 hour ago, Gil said:

The Service Updates advises that the 68 TERRY FOX will not be operating on Good Friday.  Again, Sunday (and by extension somewhat Holiday) service was cut on this route as of September last year.  When ridership levels recover will MiWay get rid of the Sunday/Holiday service distinction?

The service change memo for the September 2021 board period which included the cancellation of 90's Saturday service and 68's Sunday service indicated the cut was permanent and not a temporary COVID service reduction. Weekday service on the 68 was also reduced in February being cut from 30 minutes service to 60 minutes by removing a bus from service.

The 68 didn't do too bad for Sunday ridership prior to the pandemic as the attached boarding stats show. Taking the ranges of 148-195 Sunday boardings that's a average of 18-24 boardings per service hour on Sundays, and it would have been interesting to see what the numbers would have looked like if not for the terrible Sunday service span (8 hours, 9am-5pm). The 68 service area also had other established routes nearby (10, 34, 35, 38, 39, 61) which meant it could be cut without stranding ridership.

68 Sunday ridership 2019.pdf

1 hour ago, MiExpress said:

The first thing that came to mind was Department of Transportation as Gil stated. No need to use vague and confusing acronyms when you could have just spelled out 'Director'. Also, not even two pages ago on this thread was a full summary of MiWay's electrification plans including the 2028 date to stop purchasing diesel buses and the 2042 target date for full electrification. You even 'liked' that post so no need to post inaccurate speculation when you are aware of the actual facts.

It's the Transportation and Works department of which MiWay is a division. https://www.mississauga.ca/our-organization/leadership-team/

The service change memo for the September 2021 board period which included the cancellation of 90's Saturday service and 68's Sunday service indicated the cut was permanent and not a temporary COVID service reduction. Weekday service on the 68 was also reduced in February being cut from 30 minutes service to 60 minutes by removing a bus from service.

The 68 didn't do too bad for Sunday ridership prior to the pandemic as the attached boarding stats show. Taking the ranges of 148-195 Sunday boardings that's a average of 18-24 boardings per service hour on Sundays, and it would have been interesting to see what the numbers would have looked like if not for the terrible Sunday service span (8 hours, 9am-5pm). The 68 service area also had other established routes nearby (10, 34, 35, 38, 39, 61) which meant it could be cut without stranding ridership.

68 Sunday ridership 2019.pdf 141.53 kB · 3 downloads

Whomever is posting the updates apparently didn't get the memo that the 68 TERRY FOX no longer has Sunday (or Holiday) service.  They've posted the same advisory for New Year's Day, Family Day and now Good Friday.  Strangely no notice for Easter which since it's a Sunday means no service either.  I didn't post the Christmas holiday service changes (they are summarized on Transit Toronto) so I don't know if got included there as well.

I had hoped there'd be more increased granularity with the services offered on weekends (Saturdays, Sundays/Holidays) to eventually match the weekday service to foster use in the system.  Rush hour peak routes are a different matter as they tend to cater to a different crowd, though some industrial areas in Mississauga do operate 7 days a week.  Introducing service is the first step, hopefully giving it enough time to allow ridership to grow to be able to expand the service hours.  The only holiday service cut I am comfortable with is the 35 EGLINTON since it duplicates (for the most part) the 7 AIRPORT and 34 CREDIT VALLEY.  The other routes (6 CREDIT WOODLANDS - which isn't listed this time, 28 CONFEDERATION, 46 TENTH LINE-OSPREY, 48 ERIN MILLS) offer that shorter "last mile" connection with a more granular service network.  I'm surprised with the connections at Mississauga Hospital and Credit Valley Hospital that the 28 CONFEDERATION and 48 ERIN MILLS don't see more passengers to warrant holiday service.

The Service Changes for April 25 came out yesterday (I think):

Service Changes on Monday, April 25

On April 25, 2022, MiWay will be implementing service changes that include a seasonal service reduction on Route 107 Malton Express, a routing change to Route 5 Dixie on Sunday and schedule adjustments on several routes to improve service reliability.

Seasonal service reduction on Route 107 Malton Express

Due to low customer demand during the summer academic term, Route 107 Malton Express will not travel to the Humber College North Campus in Toronto. It will provide weekday service between the City Centre Transit Terminal and Westwood Square Transit Terminal. Customers can continue to take the Route 22 Finch to the Humber College North Campus.

Consistent routing on Route 5 Dixie

The Route 5 Dixie routing will be revised on Sundays to match the current routing on weekdays and Saturdays. Sunday schedules will be updated.

View the revised routing.

Schedule adjustments

Schedule adjustments will be made on several routes to improve service reliability:

• 24 Northwest (weekday)
  • 26 Burnhamthorpe (weekday)
  • 28 Confederation (weekday)
  • 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line (weekday)
  • 36 Colonial-Ridgeway (weekday)
  • 42 Derry (weekday)
  • 43 Matheson-Argentia (weekday)
  • 44 Mississauga Road (weekday)
  • 66 McLaughlin (Saturday)
  • 101/101A Dundas Express (weekday)

Holiday service

On Victoria Day, Monday, May 23, 2022, buses will operate on a holiday schedule. Some routes will not operate due to low customer demand, including:

• 28 Confederation
  • 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line
  • 46 Tenth Line-Osprey
  • 48 Erin Mills

All routes in the transit system continue to be monitored regularly so that service levels are responsive to customers’ needs. Service levels may continue to change with shifts in demand as travel and traffic patterns evolve in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and recovery framework.

There's the typical truncation of the 107 MALTON EXPRESS from Humber College to Westwood, along with changing the Sunday/Holiday routing of the 5 DIXIE to match the rest of the week (continuing up to Cardiff instead of looping at Derry).  When Sunday service was introduced on the 42 DERRY why wasn't the 5 DIXIE changed back then?  Previous to that the 5 DIXIE continued east on Derry to Westwood.

The 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS appears to have picked up enough ridership to keep running on Victoria Day and it looks like they may have gotten the memo about the 68 TERRY FOX not being an option.  Though (I'd be glad if I'm proven wrong) I think the notices and advisories are probably put up by different people who aren't all on the same page, hence the conflicting messaging.

The bridge work at Old Derry Rd. and the Credit River should be done by now (based on the traffic coming off Old Creditview), I take it no one's complaining too loudly about the loss of service through Meadowvale Village.  I would have thought the Credit Valley Conservation Authority would have been the most vocal about having some service along Old Derry Rd.  Extending the 42A past Mavis to Financial even if it's only rush hour service would be a starting point to restoring service (once budgeting allows as it would like require another bus to maintain the headway).

I know not only MiWay, but also Brampton Transit and GO Transit would like a single terminal which they could serve the Financial Dr. area.  Looking at the satellite maps from Google there's one vacant parcel of land across from the RBC towers, but I don't know if it's already been sold and just awaiting construction.  The only other alternative for a facility would be to take over part of an existing parking lot along Financial, which in light of the work-from-home phenomenon might work.  Any increase in on-site staffing could be countered by having a transit terminal at their doorstep.

All of this to say that we probably won't see service on Creditview north of Argentia until such a facility is built.  The bridge over the 401 has been open to vehicular traffic (but not pedestrians, despite proof to the contrary) since December.  It looks like separated bike lanes are being built (likely to connect the Culham Trail past the 401).  Not knowing the passenger demand in the area, I don't know which is more feasible: running both 38 and 38A CREDITVIEW during the week (likely with a modification to the 43 MATHESON-ARGENTIA), a 38 (B?) rush hour branch to Financial or an extension of the 68 TERRY FOX to Financial possibly restoring two-way service along Bancroft.  The loss of a north-south connection from Financial with the re-routing of the 61 MAVIS may have been masked by the pandemic.

@Gil

About your post regards to the brochures (in a different topic), I was able to get a photo of one on an 07 which I rode today. Seems like MiWay hasn’t removed these considering it’s been quite some time since they removed those brochures. Would be cool if they added other stuff to that.

8CF00D78-FA3A-4ED1-B87C-124ED77F5041.jpeg

3 hours ago, PrimeTio said:

@Gil

About your post regards to the brochures (in a different topic), I was able to get a photo of one on an 07 which I rode today. Seems like MiWay hasn’t removed these considering it’s been quite some time since they removed those brochures. Would be cool if they added other stuff to that.

8CF00D78-FA3A-4ED1-B87C-124ED77F5041.jpeg

They seem to be a standard feature on the Novas as other GTA agencies have one built into the bulkhead behind the driver.  Brampton Transit used it to put their route schedule/timetables, which given how the buses are allocated throughout the network meant more than one set in the racks.  YRT uses them for their system maps.  MiWay did use them during COVID to distribute flyers promote proper mask-wearing before there was concern about COVID possibly being spread by physical contact.  I don't know what the other agencies did with them.  The TTC has hooks similar to what MiWay had to distribute In Transit when they were still printing them. 

• Like 1

Is there a glitch in the Triplinx schedules or has MiWay abandonned the terminal at Dixie Outlet Mall in light of the construction related to the Dixie/QEW Interchange project?  There's no notice about it and the terminal still has a page, but the schedule indicates that buses skip or don't serve that stop.  It's easy enough to figure out what time they do if it's just a glitch.  I've checked both directions and for different dates and they all have an arrow for the Dixie Outlet Mall terminal.

image.thumb.png.d596ab81e0844392cc6b147dc77ae12c.png

I do wish they'd either include the stop number in the schedule or since Metrolinx has gone to the trouble of giving every stop in the Triplinx system a unique stop ID they showed that (you can see it if you hover over the stop name) in conjunction with having a single toll-free number to call to check on the schedule/arrival of the next bus.

With the plans to redevelop the mall along with the related changes for the Dixie/QEW Interchange project, I would have hoped for a more convenient location for the terminal.  At the very least, I hope the bus lane exiting the terminal gets some sort of separate signal phase similar to what's done at the Bramalea Centre Terminal.  It's going to be needed to prevent collisions with traffic turning southbound onto Dixie Rd. from the realligned South Service Rd.  It would also preclude bus service going to Ogden Ave. from the mall with this proposal.  The 5 DIXIE is slated to remain on Dixie Rd. south of the mall with an extension of the 14 LORNE PARK (perhaps becoming the LORNE PARK-ATWATER?) to cover most of the lost service on Ogden Ave.  The 14 would have to loop within the mall to exit where it came in at the newly signalized intersection or proceed on the internal roads to a different exit onto South Service Rd.  

Plan Dixie Site Plan

The ongoing musical chairs of Platform reassignment due to LRT construction!  Once the full-on construction (after the utility relocation wraps up) how long before the route reconfiguration begins to avoid the active work sites?

I just noticed new system maps in the bus shelters dated for April 25.  They include the 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY (which didn't merit a new shelter map when it was introduced) and the revised Sunday routing for the 5 DIXIE.

IMG_20220422_1509444.jpg

At this point city centre is becoming like eglinton lol. I was at City Centre today and their was more construction than before. Their mostly working on rathburn road, and station gate from what I’ve been seeing. I don’t see that many working on the bays though.

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

Was the decision to not have the 101, 110, 104, etc to not run on weekends based on budget, or lack of ridership?

I'm speculating here by reading between the lines of the City Budget.  I assume the lack of ridership hurt the budget, so the City simply allocated the same amount on transit this year as last, with any service improvements coming at the expense of other routes.  The 100 and 185 have yet to return as well.  The 104's resources were reallocated to the 42A while the 101 and 110 have local service equivalents (for the most part) during the periods they are not running.  A demonstrated increase in ridership could possibly trigger some additional service without cannibalizing it from elsewhere in the network, but ridership would need to rebound substantially for there to be enough revenue to start restoring service next year.

Most of the service changes so far this year have been fiddling around with the schedules to try and better use the resources already in place.  Changing the Sunday routing of the 5 DIXIE to match the rest of the week likely didn't cost anything aside from printing new maps and putting up notices about the change.  The 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY was a reallocation of resources.  We saw the corresponding routes getting service reductions at the same time the route was introduced.  Any significant (net new) changes will likely be deferred to next year.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:44 PM, Gil said:

I'm speculating here by reading between the lines of the City Budget.  I assume the lack of ridership hurt the budget, so the City simply allocated the same amount on transit this year as last, with any service improvements coming at the expense of other routes.  The 100 and 185 have yet to return as well.  The 104's resources were reallocated to the 42A while the 101 and 110 have local service equivalents (for the most part) during the periods they are not running.  A demonstrated increase in ridership could possibly trigger some additional service without cannibalizing it from elsewhere in the network, but ridership would need to rebound substantially for there to be enough revenue to start restoring service next year.

Most of the service changes so far this year have been fiddling around with the schedules to try and better use the resources already in place.  Changing the Sunday routing of the 5 DIXIE to match the rest of the week likely didn't cost anything aside from printing new maps and putting up notices about the change.  The 18 McLAUGHLIN-DERRY was a reallocation of resources.  We saw the corresponding routes getting service reductions at the same time the route was introduced.  Any significant (net new) changes will likely be deferred to next year.

This is an election year and MT budget saw the same thing like it has in the past that has no meat on it. With the lack of buses and low ridership and drivers, it best to use what is on hand for the most ridership routes. 100 has perform poorly from day one; 110 is a waste of resources south of UToM and 104 is not needed at all. 101 is not needed west of Erindale Station.

Quality of service has been poor on a number of routes that you have 2-3 buses missing in a row at various times.

Seen the first bus on Sunday on Route 3 show up 10 minutes late too many times.  Route 3 is seeing a higher number of riders going into/out of Toronto since the first of the year.

Construction on a number of routes doesn't help schedules or the riders as well lack of funds to put extra buses on those routes.

Ridership on a number of routes have increases to the point you have peak load and crush load during off peak.

Council has held back the last 4 years funding bus replacement while waiting for the Feds to fund them to the point buses fleet are below what what is needed for spares that is too low in the first place.

At the end of the day, lack of riders has hurt every system in NA and their budgets.

Mississauga is maintaining the $1 fare off peak while Brampton is free for those over 65.

• Like 1

Saw this yesterday and not sure if it was in service or going to the garage after departing Hurontario Stop on Dundas St E going east. No large group of riders waiting for a bus after it departed.

52068116730_3239923dc5_b.jpg

This bus die 2 minutes from my stop on Cawthra after waiting 15 minutes for it. The next one show up 30 minutes later at crush load and standing by the driver that it almost went close doors.

52067636228_1126af6a19_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...