MiWay

Orion VIII

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/28/2021 at 7:19 AM, MiExpress said:

The overnight service as introduced in April 2019 was never intended as a pilot or trial program and ridership was not the main factor in introducing overnight service, it was more about favorable driver crewing and freeing up storage capacity at the garage. I'm not suggesting that it won't be eliminated or modified in the future especially given the current financial conditions the city finds itself in, just that it shouldn't be viewed through the normal ridership/cost recovery lens as there were other factors in the decision. However, given the financial conditions I would be surprised to see any further expansion of overnight service for the time being. Prior to the pandemic, the overnight service as defined by the trips added in April 2019 were seeing approximately 275 boardings combined across the 4 routes (1, 3, 7, 19).

I could be mis-remembering the details of the overnight service, but weren't businesses along the overnight routes chipping in somehow to offset the expense to the City?  I've been trying to find details from when the service was launched.  Given that routes through the industrial areas of Mississauga were the ones with the lowest drop and/or quickest rebound you'd think there might be an appetite to expand there?  I've seen the 39 BRITANNIA run closed-door operations westbound on some afternoons even with artics, well past the usual transfer points for passengers trying to get to Brampton (Hurontario, McLaughlin and Mavis).  I don't know if adding routes out of Meadowvale Town Centre like the 39 BRITANNIA or 42 DERRY is problematic overnight due to the lack of accessible facilities for the drivers.

Seeing the report from the City on the planned budget for MiWay next year, which will be the same as this year (i.e. no new additional spending) IF any new service was introduced it would have to be funded independently.  Of course there's always the possibility of just reallocating resources if demand does go up unexpectedly like swapping the 104 DERRY EXPRESS for the 42A DERRY.  I do wonder if there's enough slack in the budget and staffing that if ridership did rebound that they could reinstate say the GO shuttle routes.  Granted any significant increase in passengers would probably help pay for any additional unbudgeted service increases.

The new bus is the standard bus on the wrong route based on colour due to lack of buses.

Seen routes that are almost 100% express buses on a local route. Then it been almost the opposite with local on express route and 2152 is an example of being local on express 109.

2 hours ago, Cityflyer said:

Anyone know why the 21xx artics have the MiExpress type seats instead of the MiLocal seats found in the LFSes? Were they ordered as MiExpress but last minute painted into MiLocal scheme due to needing more orange buses?

The 21xx were ordered as local buses and have the seat fabric found in local buses. 

It looks like MiWay may have decided to standardize the seating type as the most recent tender for buses also specified the same seat style for both local and express.

According to a Facebook group, 0854, 0864, and 0857, also formerly Niagara Region transit 2830, 2831, and 2833 are currently En-route to Boulder Colorado to be used as Buff Buses. 2830 is reportedly heading to Boulder in the coming weeks. That makes 0855, 0873, 0879, and the other 3 I mention being used by the University. 

53 minutes ago, PrimeTio said:

Hopefully everyone including both drivers and the kids were alright. Does anyone know if there going to fix that? And give it a new front end or just write it off?

As long as there is not major damage to the frame. Seems MiWay buses have been victims of accidents these days.

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2021 at 10:00 AM, hamilton.area.transit said:

No. The 2021 XDE60s dont have MiExpress seating inside. If you watched the video they have the MiLocal fabric design. You could be thinking of the D60LFRs that were converted over to MiLocal service which those still have the MiExpres fabric seating.

They're clearly referring to the seat design and not the fabric design.  

The 2021 XDE60s do have seating that since 2010 has been exclusive to the express fleet. 

Although as MiExpress mentioned the most recent bus tender spec'd the same seats for both the local and express buses so it appears they are moving away from having two different seat designs for the express and local buses. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Byfold said:

Or take the front end off 1738 that's currently sitting at a fire dept training center near Milton.

I don’t think they would use 1738s front end considering that bus has been used by the fire department. Mississauga Fire will probably use the front of the bus for training purposes but it’s all up to them and MiWay. Also 1739 is parked at one of the sick bays

New Flyer Has officially Been awarded the contract for 165 next Generation hybrid Electric buses. 

(74) 40 foot MiLocal buses must be delivered by December 12th 2022.

(16) 60 foot MiLocal buses must be delivered by December 12th 2022.

(53) 40 foot MiLocal buses must be delivered by June 5th 2023.

(22) 60 Foot MiExpress buses must be delivered by June 5th 2023. 

im not sure what the replacements will be but I know the 10xx artics will be replaced by the (22) MiExpress artics in 2023.

• Like 5