MiWay

Orion VIII

Jan 4th opening was a given due to the board change, subject if everything was in place and working.

Accessibility riders and able body riders can access TTC main entrance by using the north Hub entrance and then the walkway to the station, assuming the plaza area is done. The plaza wasn't ready when I saw it a week ago and not much left to be done for it. There is an elevator in the north entrance and it take riders to the tunnel under the driveway to the hub or up to the walkway way to the GO platform.

As for the tunnel issue, other than access to the elevator at the PPUDO building, can't see why it not ready. The replacement stair in the parking lot has been rebuilt and is ready with a TTC sign at it. One hope that a ramp is where the stairs were to the fare area as its was only a few steps. TTC as well GO needs to look a ramps in place of stair and elevators, especially for elevators since riders will always know they will have access to/from a platform and not worry what to do when the elevator is down or out of service for maintenance. Having one elevator doesn't cut it and must be at least 2 encase one has to be out of service.

They finished paving and stripping the Kiss & Ride area including the taxis area almost 2 weeks ago in front of the PPUDO that not finish.

Its another lets open things before they are finish for show and tell with the accessibility riders, walkers and stroller folks getting screw.

There is an option for an extension for Islington and best to use it and finish the Hub first before moving.

I'm sure that overcrowding on the TTC for essential workers is not an isolated case in the GTA.  The CBC is reporting on overcrowding on MiWay buses during the lockdown, especially in light of the service reductions associated with the lockdown.  They are featuring the 42 DERRY route, but I can imagine this being replicated on the various routes in and around the industrial area surrounding Pearson.  I'm sure the same is also happening with Brampton Transit.

Prior to the lockdown I know the 39 BRITANNIA and the 35 EGLINTON can get fairly crowded especially between Dixie and Hurontario.  Presumably as those two offer the best service north into Brampton.  There are also some willing to use the 66 McLAUGHLIN or 61 MAVIS.  Unfortunately most Brampton Transit routes do not travel south of the 401 and few MiWay routes cross into Brampton.  If the 51 TOMKEN were to run into Brampton the likeliest place for a terminus would be Bramalea GO.  The 53 KENNEDY isn't nearly frequent enough to make connections with BT's 7 KENNEDY viable or convenient.  Meanwhile the temporary suspension of the 185 DIXIE means having to transfer between MiWay and BT's DIXIE services.  I haven't been on the 57 COURTNEYPARK in a while, so I don't know what origin/destination demand is like along its namesake corridor.

The Hurontario corridor is at the point where Britannia/401 is the dividing line for service.  MiWay has traditionally short turned service on the local Hurontario routes here to provide better service southward, meanwhile I've seen rather long lines for service northward into Brampton for the Züm 502 MAIN service with some taking the 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS (presumably those transferring at Brampton Gateway) rather than use the local services with a forced transfer at the 407. 

MiWay has gradually been eliminating the rush hour services in favour of a stronger grid network.  That unfortunately leaves a lot of employers with a last mile problem for their employees.  Perhaps some demand responsive service as is being used elsewhere might be a solution?  The article reports that MiWay is monitoring the situation and may reallocate some additional vehicles from other routes that will see reduced service during the holiday season.  What will happen in January when service levels are scheduled to return to normal remains to be seen.

Well that was fast:

The follow-up Service Updates seem a bit confusing though:

Current
  • To ease overcrowding on the route 42, all route 104 buses will now service all stops.
  • Starting Dec. 11, 2020, service will be added to Route 42-Derry due to increased customer demand for service at all local stops. Route 42 provides all day service, 7 days a week. MiWay continues to monitor service demand during the COVID-19 Grey-Lockdown level and will make further adjustments based on customer demand.

Current
  • To ease overcrowding on the route 42, all route 104 buses will now service all stops.
  • Starting Dec. 11, 2020, this route will be suspended. Service will be added to Route 42-Derry due to increased customer demand for service at all local stops. Route 42 provides all day service, 7 days a week. MiWay continues to monitor service demand during the COVID-19 Grey-Lockdown level and will restore services based on customer demand.

The 104 DERRY EXPRESS will now service all stops effectively making it a 42 DERRY.  But it is then being suspended while service on the 42 DERRY is increased.  A somewhat confusing way of saying they've reallocated the 104 DERRY EXPRESS buses to the 42 DERRY.  Since it's mid-board I don't know if they're able to actually increase the overall service/frequency on the route or if they're just redistributing the buses between both routes to beef up the service along the corridor.  I guess the squeaky wheel gets the grease.  How long did it take the TTC to react to similar overcrowding?  I suppose they could do the same with the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK on Eglinton, but no such luck for the Britannia-Matheson or Courtneypark (?) corridor.

MiWay has now officially announced the changeover from Islington to Kipling on January 4, 2021.

We're moving to Kipling Station

The new terminal map has a note saying the pedestrian tunnel to the TTC terminal and station will be completed in early 2021.  There is currently no indication of how to get from one to the other aside from following the wayfinding signs posted.  The system maps as well need updating.  There is a revised Islington station map with the new through routing of the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE which will no longer enter the station but serve it from the on-street stops.

I'm guessing the TTC is allowing MiWay passengers to transfer to the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE at Kipling to reach Islington?  It is technically Mississauga-bound.  I don't know how far the intra-Toronto passengers can continue to disembark past Islington.  As I had mentioned, there may be some demand to reach the shops and offices on either side of the 427 at Burnhamthorpe.  Either a walk from West Mall over to East Mall on the 20 RATHBURN or allow some passengers to transfer onto the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE within Toronto.  Look for some initial confusion until everyone gets used to the new setup!

I wonder why the lag in announcing the move to Kipling?  They had already announced the Service Changes for January 4, but did not mention it.  Scrambling over what to do with the pedestrian tunnel not being ready probably had something to do with it.  A surface hike from the new Kipling Terminal to Kipling Station in the dead of winter does not sound terribly appealing. 

Until GO starts bus service to Kipling (and once the pedestrian tunnel is open) could the Ikea shuttle - when it resumes - operate from there?  Granted it'd make for a longer walk to get to the TTC routes.  The current pick-up point is in the South parking lot which can get quite congested during rush hours.  A compromise would be the PPUDO in the North lot once it's completed which would put it halfway between the Terminal and the Station.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2020 at 10:34 AM, Gil said:

A surface hike from the new Kipling Terminal to Kipling Station in the dead of winter does not sound terribly appealing. 

Isn't walking down the GO platform an option or is there no connection to the TTC terminal and GO platform? I know that's not the best but it's an option until the new tunnel opens

Lots of jack hammering taking place around the stair area to TTC fare area today. No idea if the stairs are to be rebuilt or be replace with a ramp since it was only about 6 steps in the first place,

If the tunnel not ready come Jan 4th, will have to use the north entrance and the walkway from it to/from TTC entrance. There is a elevator in the north entrance. The walkway and plaza area is 100% for a small section from Auckland that should be done this week or early next week. The PPUDO building interior not finish and no idea if the elevator is working.

Always can walk up to Dundas and catch a TTC bus there and than walk to TTC entrance.

TTC Kiss & Ride and parking lot to open Jan 4th as well. The north parking lot may not be ready to open on the 4th and subject to weather and when it will be pave. The west lot that may hold 150 spot is ready to open now.

Looking at route 3 stops on Aukland today, I expect they will stay since current riders will still find it faster to use than going to the Hub. Since the 3 will be making a right turn onto Dundas than the current left, will the southbound stop move to TTC Dundas stop as it will cut down on the walking distance?

Some LCD Screens being tested for miWay bays.

Time to do shooting around the Islington Terminal since it will become a thing of the past as well miWay buses east of Aukland on Dundas and Bloor.

There has been a plan for some time to pickup riders at the Hub and take them to Islington since it would be for one route only. If miWay riders are transferring to a 26 at the Hub to get to, still Mississauga property and TTC has no objection to this.

4 minutes ago, laliok said:

Isn't walking down the GO platform an option or is there no connection to the TTC terminal and GO platform? I know that's not the best but it's an option until the new tunnel opens

GO station not open during 7 days a week, during the day nor is it accessibly.  The option I pointed out is the best one since it service everyone.

I'll add drum's photos from the TTC in the News thread:

On 12/17/2020 at 1:02 AM, drum118 said:

There not that many systems in Canada using CNG, yet they are popping up all over the place in the US. Not talking small number, but 100's of buses for each system.

Was part of a round table with MOE with a push from CNG group to get more buses and systems in Ontario to use CNG and it when over like a lead balloon. Still can smell CNG like diesel and not a supporter of CNG.

Unless things change between now and Jan 4th, Kipling Kiss & Ride will open with part or all of the parking lot. The west side has about 150 parking spots ready to go and the bulk of the parking to the north being graded for paving. Weather and EllisDon will be the govern factor if the north parking lot opens Jan 4th. Not sure if the PPUDO building is ready for use nor if the elevator working.

Jan 3rd will be the last time miWay will use Islington Bus Terminal unless something changes before Jan. No idea when TTC will move their Islington routes to the south platform to allow the existing terminal to be torn down in 2021.

By the looks of things, the bus entrance to Kipling will become wider with the shifting of the current sidewalk to the new plaza area and been removed.

50728616612_c8bd647e9a_b.jpg50727797133_60d5cf9e58_b.jpg50728622767_03d363c942_b.jpg50727799568_04c094d99c_b.jpg50728517356_8dd96d95a4_b.jpg50727800803_fce4dfe9ab_b.jpg

GO Transit has a map outlining the detour from the bus terminal to the subway station on the Kipling station update page:

Kipling GO Construction Map

MiWay seems to be taking their time in updating their system maps to reflect the move to Kipling.  Did anyone manage to download the driver's guides for the revised routes that were hastily put up on the Monday of the announcement?  They were gone by Wednesday when they were replaced by the updated route maps.  Transit Toronto also has some additional photos (from Metrolinx/MiWay) along with the platform layout:

Kipling-Bus-Terminal-2.jpg

The layout, if it's accurate/to scale would seem to suggest that the 1/1C DUNDAS buses would have to travel all the way around the terminal to get to their assigned platform and then go all the way around again to safely exit the terminal.  There also isn't a designated offloading platform if the driver has some time to spare before their next trip out, especially with the platforms sharing multiple routes or branches.  Playing around with the schedule, the one high school route, the 307 PHILIP POCOCK-BLOOR EAST will drop off at platform 6 which isn't used at that time of the day since its routes are all rush hour only.  That may work or off-peak drop offs, but during rush hours every platform will likely be busy.

I know space in the terminal has been allocated to both MiWay and GO including staff and layover space for buses.  If the schedules aren't tweaked so as to not have every platform used all at once, would it be possible for MiWay to use GO's platforms to offload?  Even once GO Bus service has started, it won't likely be as frequent as MiWay's service and if a branch of the 21 MILTON bus was ever implemented to serve the terminal, it likely wouldn't be running at rush hours when the trains are running.  I'm not sure that reverse peak direction bus trips will be as frequent either, if they're offered at all (as it would be an intra-Toronto trip between Union and Kipling).

On 12/23/2020 at 1:30 AM, Gil said:

I'll add drum's photos from the TTC in the News thread:

GO Transit has a map outlining the detour from the bus terminal to the subway station on the Kipling station update page:

Kipling GO Construction Map

MiWay seems to be taking their time in updating their system maps to reflect the move to Kipling.  Did anyone manage to download the driver's guides for the revised routes that were hastily put up on the Monday of the announcement?  They were gone by Wednesday when they were replaced by the updated route maps.  Transit Toronto also has some additional photos (from Metrolinx/MiWay) along with the platform layout:

Kipling-Bus-Terminal-2.jpg

The layout, if it's accurate/to scale would seem to suggest that the 1/1C DUNDAS buses would have to travel all the way around the terminal to get to their assigned platform and then go all the way around again to safely exit the terminal.  There also isn't a designated offloading platform if the driver has some time to spare before their next trip out, especially with the platforms sharing multiple routes or branches.  Playing around with the schedule, the one high school route, the 307 PHILIP POCOCK-BLOOR EAST will drop off at platform 6 which isn't used at that time of the day since its routes are all rush hour only.  That may work or off-peak drop offs, but during rush hours every platform will likely be busy.

I know space in the terminal has been allocated to both MiWay and GO including staff and layover space for buses.  If the schedules aren't tweaked so as to not have every platform used all at once, would it be possible for MiWay to use GO's platforms to offload?  Even once GO Bus service has started, it won't likely be as frequent as MiWay's service and if a branch of the 21 MILTON bus was ever implemented to serve the terminal, it likely wouldn't be running at rush hours when the trains are running.  I'm not sure that reverse peak direction bus trips will be as frequent either, if they're offered at all (as it would be an intra-Toronto trip between Union and Kipling).

Notice posted at the eastbound stop for Aukland as to where 26 will be stopping come Jan 4. Stop going out is at the Beer store/TTC Stop on Bloor and at Aberfoyle Cr on Islington. Inbound at the normal subway stop and the current stop on Bloor St. Need to check route 3 inbound stop to see if it remain as is on Aukland or move down to Dundas where it should be come Jan 4.

Based on what I saw today after getting home, TTC parking lot is ready to open, but not 100% complete. Looks like the interior of the PPUDO is finish with no elevator. Some signs paste to the sidewalk from TTC to the Hub Main Entrance showing an arrow and miWay name. Large signs in place showing direction to TTC on the walkway to TTC that will remain after the tunnel is open.

All miWay LCD screens on with GO being off since they will not be servicing the Hub on Jan 4.

The new sidewalk on Aukland is 99% complete. Unless they have decided to remove a section that was waiting to be pour over a week ago as it back fill at this time leaving a narrow walkway at TTC entrance and the plaza area.

The road in/out of TTC parking lot to/from Dundas is paved with stripping with cycle lanes on it for both direction as well traffic and both sidewalks finish.

Some photos to follow

No one on site working and some cleaning up and moving things still have to happen for opening day.

Should note there is 2 elevators for the main entrance and working.

Not sure what was taking place on Bloor St on my way home, 2 supervisors cars with flasher on at a stop along with an accessibility rider and a police with flasher pull up as I pass the cars. Could be an issue with the accessibility rider that forced them off the bus and the driver needed help dealing with them.

6 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Strange: 90 is changing from 40 to 41 minute headway mid-day and from 20 to 21 in PM rush. Rather odd.

Which is odd considering the new Hub will save close to 8 minutes travelling time in Toronto. Other than 26, all routes going to the new Hub will save travel time close to 8+ minutes.

If the normal 26 riders getting on at Islington bound for Mississauga, they will see some travel time saving. Those who caught the 26 on Aukland, they will now have a longer travel time and that should be about 5 minutes.

30 minutes ago, drum118 said:

Which is odd considering the new Hub will save close to 8 minutes travelling time in Toronto. Other than 26, all routes going to the new Hub will save travel time close to 8+ minutes.

90 doesn't serve Islington Station or Kipling Hub.

7 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Strange: 90 is changing from 40 to 41 minute headway mid-day and from 20 to 21 in PM rush. Rather odd.

It's a small runtime adjustment, adding one extra minute during midday and two extra minutes to the PM rush schedule for each round trip. Guess the service planners decided the route was running too tight on its current schedule. Unfortunately it knocks the route off a clockface headway, which is unfortunately common nowadays especially with MiWay.

Looking on Transsee, it looks like the buses are often a few minutes late on each trip in the midday/PM, and those delays sometimes accumulate into bigger ones in the evening.

Because the 90 is a short route, a 30 second or 1 minute delay on each trip adds up quickly with the amount of trips the buses are doing. As well, with the main layover point (Meadowvale Town Centre) in the centre of the route, drivers get two short layovers instead of a longer one, which leads to less time to recover from delays.

Kipling area is now fully open to walk around it as well check things out. You can park in the new lot as will. 

The old Aukland sidewalk is now close off.

There are still fences around areas not finish yet, but has no impact using the area.

A fair number of large banners on the Hub fence with arrows pointing to TTC and miWay. Only one sign left on the sidewalk

No idea if the elevator is working as crews were working in the PPUDO cleaning it as well removing tools from the tunnel. Signs at the PPUDO say no access to the tunnel at this time. Depending on what taking place in the tunnel as well where. you maybe able to use the tunnel between the PPUDO and the Hub. 

Today marks the end of regular Weekday service to Islington even if it is scale back for the Holidays. Tomorrow marks the last 3 days of service to/from Islington.

On 12/28/2020 at 4:39 PM, drum118 said:

Notice posted at the eastbound stop for Aukland as to where 26 will be stopping come Jan 4. Stop going out is at the Beer store/TTC Stop on Bloor and at Aberfoyle Cr on Islington. Inbound at the normal subway stop and the current stop on Bloor St. Need to check route 3 inbound stop to see if it remain as is on Aukland or move down to Dundas where it should be come Jan 4.

Based on what I saw today after getting home, TTC parking lot is ready to open, but not 100% complete. Looks like the interior of the PPUDO is finish with no elevator. Some signs paste to the sidewalk from TTC to the Hub Main Entrance showing an arrow and miWay name. Large signs in place showing direction to TTC on the walkway to TTC that will remain after the tunnel is open.

All miWay LCD screens on with GO being off since they will not be servicing the Hub on Jan 4.

The new sidewalk on Aukland is 99% complete. Unless they have decided to remove a section that was waiting to be pour over a week ago as it back fill at this time leaving a narrow walkway at TTC entrance and the plaza area.

The road in/out of TTC parking lot to/from Dundas is paved with stripping with cycle lanes on it for both direction as well traffic and both sidewalks finish.

Some photos to follow

No one on site working and some cleaning up and moving things still have to happen for opening day.

Should note there is 2 elevators for the main entrance and working.

According to the new schedule for the 3 BLOOR it will also be stopping at the TTC stop at Aukland & Dundas.  The Triplinx schedule doesn't give the MiWay stop ID, which one of the site's shortcomings.  There is an internal ID for the site which is applied to every single stop.  I wonder if a toll-free number with that ID could be used?

Another interesting thing I noticed while playing around with the schedules for the 3 BLOOR and 26 BURNHAMTHORPE is that there are no boarding restrictions for the stops between Kipling and Islington, presumably to allow transfers between the two at the only common stop Dundas & Acorn.  The remaining stops along Bloor and Dundas for the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE aren't currently served by the TTC (strange that the route itself is still following the old alignment of Six Points) and there isn't a stop within the reconfigured Six Points so there isn't the worry about duplicating the TTC's service aside from the subway itself.

1960189377_3toKipling.thumb.png.605734d5f37ff151a7c7fc2b718a9434.png  168059334_26IslingtontoKipling.thumb.png.e4cac4e91ec18f713430211721709cd9.png

As for the elevators, they had better be working as that's the only way the new Terminal can be considered accessible.  Any guesses as to which elevators will be up and running next?  The ones at the GO Train platform or the PPUDO to the tunnel?

Dec 28: More up on my Flickr Site

50774057188_ae3de1ac8e_b.jpg50774918507_a59c8a4d3c_b.jpg50774804801_58b468d59b_b.jpg50775384397_452a56f139_b.jpg

I'm hoping the screens will actually have useful information on them and not just a QR code to scan to get the schedule.  If they're not going to be posted in print form at the stop itself, then put the QR code there instead along with at least the route map.

Still waiting on MiWay to update their system maps with the Kipling Terminal service implemented.  Will we have to wait until Monday as all the sets require updates?

It's interesting how the TTC has the same link/notice for the Kipling relocation as MiWay on their homepage.  The also mention the travel between Kipling and Islington in both directions on the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE.

http://ttc.ca/images/hero-features/DigitalScreen_Goodby.png

MiWay service relocating from Islington Station to new Kipling Bus Terminal

Effective date: January 4, 2021

Starting January 4, 2021, MiWay service currently boarding inside Islington Station will be relocated to the new Kipling Bus Terminal.

The MiWay 26 Burnhamthorpe route will continue to serve on-street stops (eastbound and westbound) outside of Islington Station while travelling between Mississauga and the new Kipling Bus Terminal.

To access the new Kipling Bus Terminal from Kipling Station starting in January 2021, a temporary accessible pedestrian path will connect the terminal to Kipling Station’s Aukland Road exit.

Learn more about MiWay see at the new terminal.

Waiting for the light on Dundas at Kipling going east tonight, watch a 3W come south on Kipling and go west on Dundas. Must be a driver that hasn't drove the 3W at night and deal with the change. Only 3 more night and it will be history. Will have my last ride to/from Islington on Sunday as well get my first ride to/from the Hub on Monday.

On Jan 4, all able body walkers will be using the tunnel between the Hub and PPUDO and the PPUDO stair to/from TTC.

The PPUDO elevator floor is about 3.7 cm below the tunnel floor with the doors open. Is it 100% operational, I can not tell.

There are maps at the Hub and TTC main entrance showing how accessibility riders, people with strollers, walkers or need to use an elevator that they must use the Hub main entrance and the walkway between the Hub and TTC to get to/from the Hub until the elevator is working.

There is also signs in the Hub telling riders there is no elevator in service at the PPUDO and how to get to TTC if they need to use an elevator.

The doors to the Hub Main entrance lock, but the door to the old Subway Cr stair and tunnel wide open. Very little has change in the existing tunnel until you get to the new tunnel for the Hub and PPUDO. That is one wide and dipping tunnel with a nice ceiling height.

Peaking through the crack between the construction doors for the tunnel section close off at this time, it could be late Jan or Feb before that tunnel section can be open. There is no floor tile between the new tunnel and TTC fare area and work taking place for the ceiling. Real hard to say what still needs to be done for the close tunnel as the crack needs to be wider for a better view.

Not surprise at the moving of 3E stop for Dundas and would be if the stop remain as is.

As for 26 stopping between the Hub and Islington, the right thing to do like any route that use TTC stops for drop off or pickup.

Unless I miss it, no fare machine in the Hub to load funds to your Presto card as well an balance checker. Can get your GO ticket from the fare machine on the walkway and only 1 there.

As it stands now, parking will be free for the north lot as there are no machines to buy a day pass like other lots there.

There are washrooms at the HUB.

Another round of bus retirements to round out 2020 - 0316, 0327, 0329, 0340, 0512, 0520, 0540, 0565, 0570, 0603, 0620, 0866 have been retired.

0620 was the unit involved in a major collision about a year ago.

For those keeping track, that leaves 21/44 2003 D40LFs still active as of right now.

• Thanks 2

The MiWayHelps Twitter account has a video demonstrating an able-bodied person using the pedestrian tunnel from the Terminal to the PPUDO.  It cuts off just before actually entering the PPUDO (where the walls go from the white/beige of tunnel to the old red brick cladding in the PPUDO.  Don't get to actually see the PPUDO in the clip at the end.  It's also time-lapsed to fit to about 30 seconds.  Wonder how long the actual walk from the Terminal to the subway station (regardless of the route - tunnel, surface or GO Train platform) will take and if any particular route is faster for the able-bodied not pushing a stroller or cart? 

On 11/12/2006 at 3:10 PM, Mr. Engineer said:

I went to the New Flyer website, and it says that they can garantee their new BRT buses for 18 years. Makes me wonder what TTC will be ordering next time around.

Given the fact only a few 60' have made 12 years, a real hard sell for 18. Most were crapping out at 10 years, especially the 1997 buses.

40' buses will make 18 and we already have that with the 2003 buses and the 2005 are at 15 and going on to 16.

Since miWay buses are to only to last 15 in place of 12 years due to cost, the 2003 are longer due to lack of funding and meeting the timeline for the Feds to kick in extra funding.

That guarantee needs to written lock solid so NFI can fulfill it between the 15 to 18 years. Most things can last longer if you throw money and time at it, but is it worth it??

Dec 31

50789324697_f06d43b980_b.jpg50788458278_607c1ccf69_b.jpg50788458213_0333722742_b.jpg50788458098_44234f3c8c_b.jpg50789324762_a8b07ecf78_b.jpg50789217391_a0f38243dd_b.jpg50789326892_78b18ffd5d_b.jpg50789218911_b866e4c24e_b.jpg50788461163_24cd7a8a81_b.jpg

Lot of bitching today regarding that long walk in the tunnel.

60' bus and Route 1 bus bay needs to be relocated as buses over hang and block buses going around the terminal or exiting. Same goes when using the GO bus bays. GO Bus bays being use as drop off, or layover.

Lack of signage at both terminal showing how riders get from one to the other even with Mississauga personnel on site cause a lot of confusion for everyone. Even where riders find their bus on the platform. No surprise on my part as expecting this.

The stairs in the tunnel that close being replace with a ramp.

GO personnel stated no GO service to the terminal for some time nor what route may service it. Leave this to others since I don't follow GO service other than rail.

Saw someone use the PPUDO elevator today with Mississauga personnel.

Do to an Opp's, the Hub floor has to be chip to allow Presto machines to be install on the main floor.

LCD screen looks good showing not only when bus is to depart for one route, but up to the next 6 ones. 

Route 3 still stops at the old stop on Aukland coming in.

With the amount of MiWay buses using this terminal during rush hours (imagine post covid where they restore to 100% pre covid levels), let's hope GO never uses this terminal. The MiWay buses need places for layover. Those 4 bus bays should be for all MiWay bus layover.

1 hour ago, drum118 said:

Lot of bitching today regarding that long walk in the tunnel.

60' bus and Route 1 bus bay needs to be relocated as buses over hang and block buses going around the terminal or exiting. Same goes when using the GO bus bays. GO Bus bays being use as drop off. or layover.

Lack of signage at both terminal how riders get from one to the other even with Mississauga personnel on site. Even where riders find their bus.

The stairs in the tunnel that close being replace with a ramp..

GO personnel stated no GO service to the terminal for some time nor what route may service it. Leave this to others since I don't follow GO service other than rail.

Saw someone use the PPUDO elevator today.

Do to an Opp's, the Hub floor has to be chip to allow Presto machines to be install on the main floor.

LCD screen looks good showing not only when bus is to depart for one route, but up to the next 6 ones. 

Route 3 still stops at the old stop on Aukland coming in.

The layout and placement of the 1 DUNDAS seemed problematic based on the various platform assignment map that were floating around prior to opening.  Restricting the 60' buses to the west end of the Terminal seems somewhat short-sighted.  What if they get randomly assigned to one of the other routes or worse yet, demand dictates the regular use of artics on other routes routes serving Kipling like the 3 BLOOR or 20 RATHBURN.

Depending on what and when GO plans to introduce bus service re-allocating the platform space (and subsequent renumbering of the platforms) might be the only way to get more artic platforms into the Terminal.

The MiWay route map and schedule did indicate the 3 BLOOR would continue to serve the mid-block Aukland stop in addition to the stop at Dundas now that the route is making a right turn instead of a left turn.  It's in keeping with serving TTC stops while running in Toronto.

I hope the displays are even just a slight improvement over the display screen at the City Centre Terminal prior to renovations.  The limited graphics use on the screens has me concerned about image burn-in.  If they're only being used to display departure times a simpler LED screen would have sufficed.  If they're going GO's route with interspersing PSA messages I still think it's overkill.  GO can do so much more with their screens in conveying departure information than they currently do (at least at Union, as I haven't seen them in use at other stations other than simply displaying the general station departure/arrival schedule).

The new system maps were probably uploaded this morning as they weren't available late last night.

Weekday Service Map

Express Service Map  The Express map still shows Islington even though it no longer sees any express service.

Saturday Service Map

Sunday/Holiday Service

Do the bus destos serving Kipling still display "To Subway" or have the added/quantified Kipling with the exception of the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE which would need an added "via" exposure.

As for the accessibility features, I had seen it pointed out that the accessible route for a passenger to get from the Kipling Terminal to the subway: passenger gets off bus, 2 elevators to exit the Terminal, the elevator up to the TTC bus platform and then another elevator down to the subway platform.  Given how problematic the accessible elevators can be the only short-term alternative would be to have anyone needing accessible access to Kipling would be to transfer to the TTC before entering their respective terminals.  Ideally there'd be adequate notice of an elevator outage before passengers leave either respective fare-paid zone (I know it doesn't exactly apply to MiWay, but once you leave the Terminal it's fairly difficult to get back on to another bus where you can freely transfer onto). 

Hopefully the steps by the fare collector booth at the subway were actually removed.  It would cut down on one elevator.  The PPUDO elevator would make sense being open and in use today would make sense as it's the opening day of sorts.

Looking at the photos I shot on opening day, the route 1 bus bay problem is cause by having 1 in the bay and another behind it waiting to get in it. Having cars park on the side instead at the south area removes space for buses to layover or bus drivers not leaving enough space for a bus to get in either in front or behind them.

Having a ramp to the fare area is no help to an accessibility rider since the tunnel is too low to gain access to TTC ramp to the bus terminal. Having a ramp from the tunnel to the surface is the best option, but requires more space and remove the fear what to do if the elevator has issues. That is where having 2 elevators in place come into play as it very rare both elevators would be out of service at the same time, other than power failure.

Still working on Jan 3 photos, but here is a Jan 4 shot of the screen.

133A3160.JPG

133A3159.JPG

• Like 1

One perhaps unforeseen wrinkle with the move to Kipling is the connection between the overnight services both the TTC and MiWay provide.  When the subway is not running, buses generally don't enter the station.  The 300/A BLOOR-DANFORTH uses Aukland to get from Dundas to Bloor (wonder if they'll reconsider that once all the work at Six Points is done?) resulting in that mid-block stop southbound.

The overnight 1 DUNDAS service will miss its connection with the 300/A BLOOR-DANFORTH since it's relocation to Kipling, so it will have to do a bit of creative routing around Six Points in order to be able to make the connection.  Here's the notice as it appeared in the Service Updates tonight:

Current
  • ROUTE 1 / 1C WESTBOUND ONLY ON DETOUR ROUTING TO CONNECT WITH TTC 300 BLUE NIGHT SERVICE ROUTE 1 / 1C W/B ON DETOUR BETWEEN 02:20 AM TO 05:35 AM: AFTER DEPARTING KIPLING STATION R- DUNDAS, L- AUKLAND, R- BLOOR, R- KIPLING, R- DUNDAS TO NORMAL

The routing isn't reflected in the schedule, so it looks like something the may have overlooked.  The order of the stops (Aukland at Dundas, Dundas at Aukland and Dundas at Acorn) will probably mess with Triplinx' system a bit as it still lists the old stops coming from Islington.  This routing theoretically gives passengers 2 stops to connect with the 300/A BLOOR-DANFORTH at Dundas and Aukland. 

For those coming from Mississauga and looking to continue on into Toronto will they be forced off the bus at Kipling while it lays over?  I assume the Terminal will be open 24 hours otherwise people will be stuck at the platform.  Depending on the length of the layover and the schedule of the 300/A BLOOR-DANFORTH you could walk through the PPUDO/parking lot to make the connection if you really wanted or needed to. 

Presumably the overnight service would be the only time a 1 DUNDAS bus could safely exit the Terminal from its platform without having to go all the way around first as there are no other scheduled buses at the time.

The numerous doors in the tunnel are probably another means of locking up the subway station at night.  Whose responsibility is it to lock up all of those doors then?  It isn't really staffed by MiWay or GO for that matter, so the TTC?