MiWay

Orion VIII

12 hours ago, MT0603 said:

Prior to the September board period Malton had 3 base blocks on the 39, 1 base block on the 61, 3 AM/PM rush hour blocks on the 104 and 2 base blocks on the 107.

Since service cancellations have mostly affected Central routes most of the above mentioned blocks have been transferred to Central to balance out the amount of spareboard crews between the two divisions.

Of the above mentioned routes Malton now only has 5 base blocks on the 107 and Central has gained 2 AM/PM rush hour blocks on the 5. However, Central's two blocks on the 5 are both 40' blocks and the LFSAs that occasionally pop up on the route are in fact at Malton while some of their artics are down for maintenance. Currently 1351-1353 and 0866 have been out of service for 2 weeks or more. 

I should note that Malton has a single base block on the 35 and that remains unchanged. 

Thank you. :)

So to be clear, 1301-1309s are blue buses out of Malton? 1304 on 51 right now.  

On 10/8/2020 at 8:30 PM, Gil said:

Meanwhile, the 2-week detour of the 5 DIXIE along Atwater and Cawthra would seem like an ideal time to gauge what extending the 14 LORNE PARK through to Dixie Mall and Sherway would be like.  Not every driver it seems is following the detour and it would seem that the construction at the railway crossing isn't bad enough to restrict the odd bus from going through.  They're just missing the stops along those sections of Atwater and Cawthra to be of any use for the local residents!

It's been over a month since the "2 week" detour was posted.  Tracking the buses, it seems like random buses will follow the detour routing while others will not.

Route 5 on detour in both direction due to construction work at Ogden railroad crossing. Using Atwater to Cawthra to Lakeshore in both directions. 2 weeks

I've only gone through the area a few times and it seemed evenly split between Cawthra and Ogden.  It doesn't appear to be tied to construction crew timing unless they're working some odd hours.  I presume COVID precautions are dragging the construction completion date as with other projects (Speakman and the Kipling Hub)?  Are drivers given instructions on when to use the detour or is it at their discretion?  Seeing as stops were never formally introduced on the detour routing along Atwater and Cawthra it'd be difficult to gauge the demand for service if and when they plan on implementing it.  As for the passenger convenience if you wanted one of the stops skipped by the bypass, I guess you'd like to know whether or not the bus was going to serve it or not!

• Like 1

Squeaky wheel getting the grease?  MiWay has put up an updated notice along with a map for the detour on the 5 DIXIE as well as keeping the original undated detour notice.  It seems that buses are more regularly following the detour now.  The revised date of completion for the work at the railway tracks is Nov. 27 which is two weeks after the the date on the notice (Nov. 13).  Let's see if that will actually be the case.

One strange observance from earlier in the week was a southbound 13 GLEN ERIN with a side desto reading "TO SOUTH COMMON" rather than the via and Clarkson GO as the final destination.  I waited (good thing it was stopped at a red light) for it to cycle through to make sure I had seen it correctly.  I did not get a look at the front desto to see if it matched.  I've gone through the schedule and there aren't any short turn runs that I could find (checking the time I saw the bus - late afternoon and also the late night service).  Was this a misprogrammed desto or do I really need to get my eyes checked?! ? ?

On 11/14/2020 at 9:24 PM, Gil said:

Squeaky wheel getting the grease?  MiWay has put up an updated notice along with a map for the detour on the 5 DIXIE as well as keeping the original undated detour notice.  It seems that buses are more regularly following the detour now.  The revised date of completion for the work at the railway tracks is Nov. 27 which is two weeks after the the date on the notice (Nov. 13).  Let's see if that will actually be the case.

One strange observance from earlier in the week was a southbound 13 GLEN ERIN with a side desto reading "TO SOUTH COMMON" rather than the via and Clarkson GO as the final destination.  I waited (good thing it was stopped at a red light) for it to cycle through to make sure I had seen it correctly.  I did not get a look at the front desto to see if it matched.  I've gone through the schedule and there aren't any short turn runs that I could find (checking the time I saw the bus - late afternoon and also the late night service).  Was this a misprogrammed desto or do I really need to get my eyes checked?! ? ?

I still see a 26 E side sign that still says "26 to City Centre" after "26 to Subway" on weekends after 5 years of stacked signs

26 E Burnhamthorpe ~ 26 to Subway ~ 26 to City Centre

26 W side sign is correct as it says "26 via City Centre" after "26 to South Common"

Has an official date been set for opening the Kipling Hub?  I was over on Transit Toronto and noticed they had recently updated their page on Kipling Station.  It seems to have been future-proofed by talking about the Hub as if it were opened and interestingly they give December 5, 2020 as the effective date.  That being a Saturday is it a soft launch?  The TTC usually implements things on a Sunday, MiWay on a Monday and GO/Metrolinx on a Wednesday which doesn't quite line up with the date mentioned.  Then again, it could well be an arbitrary date which they'll fix once it opens.  The date is probably easier to change than rewriting the article!

Metrolinx' page on the Kipling construction, which MiWay links to was updated on November 17 with work shifting to the north half of the GO station building (I wonder if they'll eliminate the ticket booth?).  No mention of a completion date, but there is mention of the terminal itself and the related infrastructure being opened in phases (some of which have already been completed, while others are ongoing):

The new bus terminal will be built in phases to minimize the impact on your commute. When all the work is finished, Kipling GO will feature:

• New parking lot northeast of the new bus terminal, including Kiss & Ride and taxi areas
  • A pedestrian bridge over the train tracks - complete with elevators - to connect the new bus terminal to the GO train platform
  • Renovated GO station building
  • New underground tunnels to make it easier to walk between the new GO/MiWay bus terminal and the existing TTC station
  • Repaired tunnels
  • Updated train platform with a new accessible boarding area
  • Extension of the existing paid TTC parking lot on the southeast side of the TTC subway station
  • Improved car, bicycle and pedestrian access to the station including a new signalized intersection at Acorn Ave.

Two weeks notice for December 5 would put that at tomorrow, or Monday if they plan on officially opening it the weekday afterward.  That'd also be two weeks before the Holiday Service Change on December 21.

1 hour ago, Gil said:

Has an official date been set for opening the Kipling Hub?  I was over on Transit Toronto and noticed they had recently updated their page on Kipling Station.  It seems to have been future-proofed by talking about the Hub as if it were opened and interestingly they give December 5, 2020 as the effective date.  That being a Saturday is it a soft launch?  The TTC usually implements things on a Sunday, MiWay on a Monday and GO/Metrolinx on a Wednesday which doesn't quite line up with the date mentioned.  Then again, it could well be an arbitrary date which they'll fix once it opens.  The date is probably easier to change than rewriting the article!

Metrolinx' page on the Kipling construction, which MiWay links to was updated on November 17 with work shifting to the north half of the GO station building (I wonder if they'll eliminate the ticket booth?).  No mention of a completion date, but there is mention of the terminal itself and the related infrastructure being opened in phases (some of which have already been completed, while others are ongoing):

Two weeks notice for December 5 would put that at tomorrow, or Monday if they plan on officially opening it the weekday afterward.  That'd also be two weeks before the Holiday Service Change on December 21.

GO typically performs train service changes on Wednesdays, but bus schedules start on Saturdays. December 5th is the opening of the new Union Station Bus Terminal, which has been advertised by Metrolinx and on GO's website for most of this week; if Kipling was to open, they likely would have advertised both together (especially as GO buses are supposed to be diverted to serve it). Looking at the GO bus schedules for next board, Kipling Terminal is not listed, so safe to say it's probably not opening on that date.

1 hour ago, Articulated said:

GO typically performs train service changes on Wednesdays, but bus schedules start on Saturdays. December 5th is the opening of the new Union Station Bus Terminal, which has been advertised by Metrolinx and on GO's website for most of this week; if Kipling was to open, they likely would have advertised both together (especially as GO buses are supposed to be diverted to serve it). Looking at the GO bus schedules for next board, Kipling Terminal is not listed, so safe to say it's probably not opening on that date.

It has been speculated that Kipling would open in early December.  MiWay may be the initial tenant if GO hasn't figured out whether there currently is demand for bus service to Kipling.  A branch of the 21 MILTON service would likely also mean increasing service to Dixie GO especially on weekends where it is currently not served.  It was also anticipated that services currently terminating at Square One would get extended to Kipling, but COVID is messing with demand and forecasting.

The TTC is eager for MiWay to relocate to Kipling given the state of Islington's terminal.  Steve Munro hasn't mentioned anything in the remaining TTC Service Changes for 2020.  With duplicated service along the entire length of Burnhamthorpe there are probably still some details to be worked out between MiWay, TTC and Metrolinx.

I'm curious once a fare agreement is reached how or if trip patterns will change with a Burnhamthorpe route connecting with both Islington and Kipling stations.

3 hours ago, Gil said:

It has been speculated that Kipling would open in early December.  MiWay may be the initial tenant if GO hasn't figured out whether there currently is demand for bus service to Kipling.  A branch of the 21 MILTON service would likely also mean increasing service to Dixie GO especially on weekends where it is currently not served.  It was also anticipated that services currently terminating at Square One would get extended to Kipling, but COVID is messing with demand and forecasting.

The TTC is eager for MiWay to relocate to Kipling given the state of Islington's terminal.  Steve Munro hasn't mentioned anything in the remaining TTC Service Changes for 2020.  With duplicated service along the entire length of Burnhamthorpe there are probably still some details to be worked out between MiWay, TTC and Metrolinx.

I'm curious once a fare agreement is reached how or if trip patterns will change with a Burnhamthorpe route connecting with both Islington and Kipling stations.

Probably a stupid question but here goes. Is there any plan for what is to come to Islington Stn once Miway moves out?

8 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

Probably a stupid question but here goes. Is there any plan for what is to come to Islington Stn once Miway moves out?

The TTC is gonna redevelop the the Islington bus terminal they'll more than likely demolish the existing terminal to build a new one that's AODA compliant and won't require more than one elevator once MiWay is gone. Oh, and obviously the TTC will be the only one servicing it now. Likewise for Warden.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TTC Guy said:

The last plan I saw had TTC tearing down the existing terminal in 2021 and move TTC buses to the south end where miWay buses used the outside platforms. A new traffic intersection at Aberforyle Cr will be built at to allow TTC buses to enter/exit the new terminal. A smaller Kiss & Ride Area as well taxi parking will be built as well. This was to happen a few years ago.

A new 3/4 bay bus platform to be built next to CP tracks with ADOA access that should have 2 elevators for all locations. Space was to be there for a miWay Route.

The rest of the parking lot and the existing terminal will be redeveloped for affordable housing.

Tridel sales office lease expired at the end of the year and no idea of any extension. Since 2 of the 3 towers are built, easy to move the sale office into one of them that been done on other projects, 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2020 at 3:14 PM, Gil said:

My understanding is that the hand-over date is December 5th, which is the date which Mississauga Transit would be given access to the facility to make whatever changes or installations they needed, and to start their training. This is not an operational start date.

Considering that the hand-over date for the new Union Station Terminal was in early June, and that they started testing with buses shortly after that but service is only starting in 2 weeks from now, I would expect that we won't start seeing service into the facility until March or so.

Dan

2 hours ago, smallspy said:

My understanding is that the hand-over date is December 5th, which is the date which Mississauga Transit would be given access to the facility to make whatever changes or installations they needed, and to start their training. This is not an operational start date.

Considering that the hand-over date for the new Union Station Terminal was in early June, and that they started testing with buses shortly after that but service is only starting in 2 weeks from now, I would expect that we won't start seeing service into the facility until March or so.

Dan

MiWay's training department as well as the union health and safety committee began conducting testing runs at Kipling in mid-October.

While there has been much speculation about the date, the current board period (October 26-December 20) schedules and driver crewing is based on service to Islington Station, as is the 2 week holiday board period (December 21-January 3). However, the schedules for the January 4, 2021 board period are based on operating from Kipling Station. 

Given that MiWay's move to Kipling Station comes with a host of routing and schedule changes, a move to Kipling in the middle of a board period would be awkward. Many of the routes will also have buses eliminated due to the shorter routing and this impacts driver crewing. Given those factors, I think it's fair to speculate that service to Kipling will begin on January 4 with the start of a new board period. However, that is just my opinion based on the situation and it's entirely possible service could begin on a different date than that, with 'interim' schedules and a lot of confusion!

I found this document on the City of Mississauga's website pertaining to the Kipling Terminal:

Kiplng Bus Terminal - Bus Access, Operations and Maintenance Agreement

It is however missing the attachments, which are found at the end of the full Council Meeting agenda.  The attachments consist of two drawings, one consisting of MiWay's exclusive use areas in the new Kipling Terminal.  The other is the latest and likely ultimate configuration of the Terminal and surrounding amenities.

The agreement mentioned that the end date for Islington being December 31, 2020.  If they are indeed waiting until January 4, 2021 what kind of arrangement is made for the three days?  Is there an agreement rate for a shorter period of time, is it pro-rated, or does the TTC simply throw out a (reasonable) number to bridge the dates between the end of the agreement and the actual move-out date?

The cynic in me thinks the reason why the proposed 2020 System Map was never updated since June was that they were looking to make the move to Kipling in 2021.  They did after all describe the map as what the system would look like at the end of 2020.  There are still a few glaring changes that haven't been implemented.  Unless they plan on implementing them all at the same time as the move to Kipling.  Cooksville GO should definitely be done by then, right?  Churchill Meadows is deferred to the Spring, but I assume the majority of the work to be completed aside from landscaping will be inside, so they could start looping buses in January.  As for the restructuring on the lower section of the Dixie corridor, I don't know what the hold up there is either.  I was thinking the elimination of the 4 SHERWAY trips to Islington would have been the impetus to introduce service to Dixie GO.

• Like 1

A bit of rather unfortunate news from Sunday afternoon.  A 28-year old motorcyclist was killed in a collision with a MiWay artic (#1772 based on the photo in the CBC coverage) on Mavis Rd. at Novo Star/Crawford Mills.  Mavis Rd. was closed for much of the afternoon and into the evening between the 401 and Derry for the investigation.  The victim was taken to hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.  He was identified as Gilberto Garcia from Mississauga.

Based on the location of the bus where it was taped off for investigation it looks like the accident occurred as it was turning left onto Crawford Mills from Mavis.

• Sad 3

32 minutes ago, Tramguy said:

When might we see MiWay 1796 back in revenue service?  It's been two years and two months?

Both 1738 and 1796 are decommissioned as the damage from the fires was extensive. If previous fire victims are any indication the city will likely add a replacement bus to a future order using whatever settlement money was received to help offset the cost.

• Like 3

On 11/22/2020 at 12:49 PM, MiExpress said:

MiWay's training department as well as the union health and safety committee began conducting testing runs at Kipling in mid-October.

While there has been much speculation about the date, the current board period (October 26-December 20) schedules and driver crewing is based on service to Islington Station, as is the 2 week holiday board period (December 21-January 3). However, the schedules for the January 4, 2021 board period are based on operating from Kipling Station. 

Given that MiWay's move to Kipling Station comes with a host of routing and schedule changes, a move to Kipling in the middle of a board period would be awkward. Many of the routes will also have buses eliminated due to the shorter routing and this impacts driver crewing. Given those factors, I think it's fair to speculate that service to Kipling will begin on January 4 with the start of a new board period. However, that is just my opinion based on the situation and it's entirely possible service could begin on a different date than that, with 'interim' schedules and a lot of confusion!

Latest word on Kipling is that it will indeed open on January 4 but the tunnel connection to the subway will not be complete. There is talk of a shuttle bus service to transport people to/from the terminal. 

Holiday service schedule starting December 20th and January 4th posted:

https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/service-changes/holiday-service-dates-for-2020/

https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/service-changes/jan-4-2021-service-changes/

The key takeaway is that there is no free or extended New Years Eve service due to COVID-19. 

Free transit was provided due to the pandemic until a barrier solution could be provided regarding the handling of paper transfers before a printed version became available. This is along with rear door boarding where possible and capacity limits. Since most transit agencies could not collect fares from the rear door, it is pretty much an easy solution. Even if people wanted to pay, how would the cash be handled along with tickets which requires front-door boarding. 

On 12/7/2020 at 7:08 PM, MiExpress said:

Latest word on Kipling is that it will indeed open on January 4 but the tunnel connection to the subway will not be complete. There is talk of a shuttle bus service to transport people to/from the terminal. 

Based on the Jan. 4 Service Changes below it looks like they won't be switching over to the Kipling Terminal.  If the tunnel isn't complete they can still access the subway via the GO platform.  Of course it won't be accessible which is probably why they're holding off on the transfer.

They had a tease of a Service Change announcement for Dec. 7 which turned out to be lockdown-related service reductions.

MiWay will be implementing service changes on Dec. 7 as we adjust service levels in response to the COVID-19 grey level lockdown. Routes impacted: 61, 103, 107, 109, 305, 306, 310, and 347. Please see below for details.

Google has apparently started identifying the platforms at Kipling, even though there's currently no scheduled service.

Kipling Terminal Google.png

15 hours ago, GTAmissions1 said:

Holiday service schedule starting December 20th and January 4th posted:

https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/service-changes/holiday-service-dates-for-2020/

https://www.mississauga.ca/miway-transit/service-changes/jan-4-2021-service-changes/

The key takeaway is that there is no free or extended New Years Eve service due to COVID-19. 

Free transit was provided due to the pandemic until a barrier solution could be provided regarding the handling of paper transfers before a printed version became available. This is along with rear door boarding where possible and capacity limits. Since most transit agencies could not collect fares from the rear door, it is pretty much an easy solution. Even if people wanted to pay, how would the cash be handled along with tickets which requires front-door boarding. 

Similar to the measure the TTC is taking, in an attempt to dissuade people from gathering to celebrate New Year's service is not being extended.  It was never really clear who was paying for the free service after 7pm, but if it was coming out of the City's budget, then I can see why they wouldn't be offering it this year.

The Holiday Service Changes include the now seemingly standardized list of routes not operating on Christmas and New Year's Day (and Family Day with the Jan. 4 notice) - 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS (Christmas and New Year's only), 28 CONFEDERATION (Family Day only), 35 EGLINTON, 46 TENTH LINE-OSPREY, 48 ERIN MILLS and 68 TERRY FOX.  If this is a result of budgetary shortfalls from COVID how much longer will the reduced holiday service continue?  As it would probably be time to just have a separate Sunday and Holiday Service Map.

For posterity, here's the Dec. 20, 2020 Service Change notice:

Holiday service – December 21, 2020 to January 3, 2021

Regular service will resume on Monday, January 4, 2021.

This year MiWay will not offer extended evening service or free rides on New Year’s Eve, in light of COVID-19 restrictions on social gatherings.

Some routes will have less frequent weekday service

From Monday, Dec. 21, 2020 to Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021 the following routes will operate with less frequent weekday service based on reduced customer demand during this time:

• 3 Bloor
  • 26 Burnhamthorpe
  • 35 Eglinton
  • 51 Tomken
  • 61 Mavis
  • 66 McLaughlin
  • 76 City Centre-Subway
  • 101/101A Dundas Express
  • 103 Hurontario Express

The following routes will not operate from Monday, Dec. 21, 2020 to Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021:

• 104 Derry Express
  • 107 Malton Express
  • All 300-series school routes

Some routes have a reduced holiday schedule on Christmas Day and New Year's Day

On Christmas Day and New Year’s Day, the following routes will operate on a reduced holiday schedule based on reduced customer demand on these dates:

• 1/1C Dundas, Dundas-Collegeway
  • 2 Hurontario
  • 3 Bloor
  • 5 Dixie
  • 9 Rathburn-Thomas
  • 10 Bristol-Britannia
  • 13 Glen Erin
  • 17 Hurontario
  • 23 Lakeshore
  • 28 Confederation
  • 38A Creditview
  • 66 McLaughlin

The following routes will not operate on Christmas Day and New Year’s Day:

• 6 Credit Woodlands
  • 35 Eglinton
  • 46 Tenth Line-Osprey
  • 48 Erin Mills
  • 68 Terry Fox

MiWay will continue to provide regular Saturday and Sunday service on weekends

From Saturday, Dec. 26, 2020 to Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021, MiWay will continue to provide regular Saturday and Sunday service on weekends.

Customer Service - modified hours of operation

City Centre Transit Terminal Information Booth

From Monday, Dec. 21, 2020 to Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021, the Information Booth at City Centre Transit Terminal will have modified holiday hours of operation.

Weekday Holiday hours of operation
Monday to Thursday 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Christmas Day and New Year’s Day Closed
Saturday and Sunday 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m.

City Centre Transit Terminal Fares Booth

From Monday, Dec. 21, 2020 to Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021, the Fares Booth at City Centre Transit Terminal will have modified holiday hours of operation.

Weekday Holiday hours of operation
Monday to Thursday 11:15 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Christmas Day and New Year’s Day Closed
Saturday and Sunday Closed

City Centre Transit Terminal location details

Customer service phone: 905-615-4636

From Monday, Dec. 21, 2020 to Sunday, Jan. 3, 2021, Customer Service will be available on the phone at 905-615-4636 from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.

And the January 4, 2021 Service Change notice:

Jan. 4, 2021 Service Changes

MiWay is implementing service changes that include:

• Schedule changes on various routes to respond to ridership demand and to improve GO service connections
  • Some school routes (300-series) will resume
  • On the Family Day holiday (Monday, Feb. 15, 2021), buses will operate on a holiday schedule and some routes will not operate

Schedule changes on various routes

Starting Monday, January 4, 2021, schedules will change on the following routes to respond to ridership demand and to improve GO service connections:

• 9 Rathburn-Thomas
  • 30 Rexdale
  • 44 Mississauga Road
  • 49 McDowell
  • 90 Terragar-Copenhagen Loop

School routes (300-series) resume

Starting Monday, January 4, 2021, the following school routes (300-series) will resume service:

• 302 Philip Pocock-Bloor West
  • 304 Father Goetz-Mississauga Valley
  • 306 Streetsville Secondary-Terry Fox
  • 307 Philip Pocock-Bloor East
  • 313 Streetsville Secondary-Meadowvale
  • 314 Rick Hansen-Creditview
  • 315 Rick Hansen-City Centre
  • 321 Stephen Lewis-St.Joan of Arc
  • 335 Glenforest South

Holiday service on Family Day

On the Family Day holiday (Monday, Feb. 15, 2021), buses will operate on a holiday schedule and some routes will not operate.

Service will not operate on the following routes due to low customer demand:

• 28 Confederation
  • 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line
  • 46 Tenth Line-Osprey
  • 48 Erin Mills
  • 68 Terry Fox

Next planned service change – Monday, February 22, 2021.

If an accessible shuttle is required to get passengers with mobility issues from the Kipling Terminal over to the TTC terminal, who would be providing the service?  I assume regardless, it would be coming out of the construction company/Metrolinx' pocket as part of a penalty for delayed completion if such a clause were included.  Until the surface pedestrian route is built and opened, the shuttle would presumably have to run to the east/St. Alban's entrance to the station which is accessible and comes with a fare gate.  The more complicated option would be for the TTC to provide a vehicle where passengers would pay their fare and then continue to the bus platform at Kipling Station.  You'd then run into leasing arrangements for the TTC bus (if GO isn't immediately implementing service it could use one of their bays).

If they're just going to wait until the tunnel construction is all done (I don't know how much work actually needs to be done for it to be opened to the public), we may see a transition mid-board.  Otherwise waiting another 2 months or so would require an extension of the lease at Islington.

• Thanks 1