MiWay

Orion VIII

21 hours ago, Xtrazsteve said:

Hopefully they realized that low income people uses cash as their primary payment type. It's a shame COVID-19 has placed a restriction on it. 

The self-service machines aren't meant as the be-all solution since they don't take cash. There is still a ticket booth at CCTT and (limiting as it may be) Shoppers Drug Mart until community centres re-open.  Libraries would make for additional locations if Mississauga chooses to go that route.  GO currently does not accept cash at its ticket counters so visiting a GO station isn't an option at the moment.

There are ways to get a PRESTO card through various agencies without the $6 fee.  The cardholder would be responsible for keeping it topped up.  I've seen many people paying cash (some paying with a $5 since they don't have the change for correct fare) even though migrating to PRESTO would be cheaper fare-wise.

Before this turns into a discussion on social equity in transit I'd like to also note that I spotted one of the new PRESTO readers with a transfer printer in use on 1850.  The beep isn't as loud as the older readers.

4 hours ago, soo8513 said:

I presume the 90 cancelation is still on for October 

The 90 is being retained as is, MiWay is no longer planning on cancelling the route. It appears this decisions was made in very late 2019/early 2020 based on when updates to the MiWay Five proposed map were made. It's a bit tricky to find with the website redesign but MiWay Five webpage is still up on the MiWay site.

After a 4 month absence, MiWay 0341 re-emerged last week with a fully redone exterior, complete with a nice shiny paintjob. It looks really good and I've attached a few photos. They didn't skimp - all 4 sides got repainted, even the doors got fully repainted and new wheel fenders on all wheels. The only thing that wasn't touched was a access panel on the roof that surrounds the exhaust, probably took it off when they started and just put it right back on afterwards.

For those of you that follow MiWay you'll know that full repaints like this are rare, as MiWay does their major maintenance work on a 'as needed' basis, not scheduled intervals, and that includes body work. So usually with MiWay you will only see specific sections of the bus repainted if it's been worked on, or only one side of the bus repainted if it's the side that had the body work etc. Even with just body panel replacement often times it is just done in specific sections (past the rear doors, below windows only etc.)
As for why 0341 has been repainted at this stage, it has everything to do with MiWay doing their major maintenance work on as needed basis. I wouldn't read anything into it as at this point, the city still plans to replace all the D40LFs in 2021.  For example, 0319 received major body work in April-May 2019 which included both driver and passenger sides of the bus being fully repainted, but was retired 2-3 months later after suffering a major mechanical issue - and then there was all the Orion Vs that received major body work and repaints only to retire a year later.

MiWay 0341a.jpg

MiWay 0341d.jpg

MiWay 0341e.jpg

• Like 1

There are a number of buses due to retire getting new seating arrangements. Been on a few brown seat buses where the duel seats behind the driver are now single seat as well the first row of seating has been remove. The passenger side has a new divider where a set of seats where.

Been on a few buses where the printed 2 hours starts once printed to a point a few where short change of all things. Then there was the new Presto machine.

Based on my last visit to the Kipling Hub, 2021 is start to look like the new opening day based on the amount of work still to be done. Platforms at the Hub have snow melting system in them with less than 50% pour on the north side and none on the side side. No elevators install for the GO Platform.

As for those who complain about the moving of the westbound stop, you will have to deal with it until Sept until new sidewalks are built for the north side. Work taking place on the south side at this time. Traffic has been reduce to single lane in both direction.

Haven't looked at Dundas east of Kipling and expect it has also seen top coat asphalt placement when they pave Dundas to the east west of Beamish this past week that also include Beamish. The centre lanes east of Aukland being used for construction equipment. The south-east corner of Aukland can't see new sidewalks until the construction hording is remove. Lanes and crosswalks waiting stripping.

By the looks of things for Cooksville GO Station, 28 and 91 will be using platform 10 & 11 at the west end come Sept changes since all of that area is completed and clean up up to the kiss & ride. Platform of the east section is pour with finish material to be install.

I noticed a couple days ago new piers being built next to the 407 overpass for Hurontario that are to be use for new off ramps to allow the LRT to be built on the bridge. All those nice trees in Brampton medium will met the same faith as in Mississauga this week. Counted 12 vehicle in the 407 parking lot. Most 502 going south in Mississauga at 90% capacity with a lot of standees. The 103 I rode was 40%.

50230422217_ae389fb887_b.jpg50229566223_9dc9958e85_b.jpg50230203076_229f5bbc7a_b.jpg50230207391_d22010c9e9_b.jpg50229565248_7cde86ea96_b.jpg50208485511_270b1e0f01_b.jpg50208486581_3b29d0e1f6_b.jpg50229567828_8c030799af_b.jpg50229638321_358b62cf84_b.jpg50229858502_666f0130c2_b.jpg

On 8/16/2020 at 9:34 AM, drum118 said:

There are a number of buses due to retire getting new seating arrangements. There have Bbeen on a few brown seat buses where the duel dual seats behind the driver are now a single seat as well the first row of seating has been removed. The passenger side has a new divider where a set of seats where were.

Been on a few buses where the printed 2 hours starts once printed to a point a few where were short changed of all things. Then there was the new Presto machine.

Based on my last visit to the Kipling Hub, 2021 is starting to look like the new opening day based on the amount of work still to be done. Platforms at the Hub have snow melting system in them with less than 50% poured on the north side and none on the side south(?) side. No elevators installed for the GO Platform.

As for those who complain about the moving of the westbound stop, you will have to deal with it until Sept until new sidewalks are built for the north side. Work taking place on the south side at this time. Traffic has been reduced to single lane in both direction.

Haven't looked at Dundas east of Kipling and expect it has also seen top coat asphalt placement when they pave Dundas to the east west of Beamish this past week that also includes Beamish. The centre lanes east of Aukland being used for construction equipment. The south-east corner of Aukland can't see new sidewalks until the construction hoarding is removed. Lanes and crosswalks waiting stripping.

By the looks of things for Cooksville GO Station, 28 and 91 will be using platform 10 & 11 at the west end come Sept changes since all of that area is completed and cleaned up up to the kiss & ride. Platform of the east section is poured with finish material to be install.

I noticed a couple days ago new piers being built next to the 407 (403?) overpass for Hurontario that are to be use for new off ramps to allow the LRT to be built on the bridge. All those nice trees in Brampton medium median will meet the same faith fate as in Mississauga this week. Counted 12 vehicle in the 407 parking lot. Most 502 going south in Mississauga at 90% capacity with a lot of standees. The 103 I rode was 40%.

50230422217_ae389fb887_b.jpg50229566223_9dc9958e85_b.jpg50230203076_229f5bbc7a_b.jpg50230207391_d22010c9e9_b.jpg50229565248_7cde86ea96_b.jpg50208485511_270b1e0f01_b.jpg50208486581_3b29d0e1f6_b.jpg50229567828_8c030799af_b.jpg50229638321_358b62cf84_b.jpg50229858502_666f0130c2_b.jpg

My apologies to drum118, but that's one too many malapropisms for my liking!  I get the point of what you're trying to say, but it's a struggle to read at times.  I've met you in person and I struggle to reconcile that with the difference in your posts.

That being said, I would presume the new PRESTO readers and transfer printers would be installed together.  I don't understand the comment about the being short-changed.  Wasn't the new system supposed to allow for a two-hour transfer to be printed at the point of payment?  I doubt the driver will be adjusting the clock throughout their run.  If it's off by a few minutes then it's likely a calibration issue.  Then again, I'm speculating as I don't know the inner workings of the system.

The whole Six Points intersection while functional seems to have stalled in terms of progress the few times I've been through it this summer or from what I can see from my GO train when it passes Kipling.  I can only see the south side of the Hub, but as I mentioned the parking lot and new PPUDO still need a lot of work.  At this point I wonder which will finish first!

Cooksville GO apparently has it's platforms misnumbered (i.e. they're going the wrong way).  I assume the westernmost platform will be 12 and used as a layover for GO buses.  What are currently platforms 10 and 11 (heading eastward) are currently used by GO Transit's route 21 service.  The remaining platforms are unnumbered but have screens at each of them similar to what was done at Erindale GO without the platform number being attached to the screen.  Still waiting for them to be activated.  Based on the number of platforms and GO's practice of including the train platforms as part of the allocation, they eventually plan on having a south platform (#2) at the station to presumably allow for two-way service.  As I mentioned in an earlier post that still leaves an awful lot of platforms for MiWay to use once it's opened up to them.  The access road on the south side of the parkade is still blocked off as various work is taking place (landscaping, lighting and work on the mesh panels on the parkade).

MiWay has also released the September 7 Service Changes:

Changes to Service Starting September 7

On Monday, September 7, MiWay is changing service levels on several routes to respond to evolving ridership trends as businesses and schools start to reopen.

The changes include:

1. Schedules will change on various routes

2. Holiday schedules will be in effect on Labour Day and Thanksgiving

3. Route 104 Derry Express will be revised

4. Route 101A Dundas Express will be revised

5. Secondary school service will resume 

1. Schedules will change on various routes

Starting Monday, September 7, service levels across the network will be adjusted to meet current ridership demands. The following route schedules will change:

• 1 Dundas
  • 3 Bloor
  • 8 Cawthra
  • 9 Rathburn-Thomas
  • 10 Bristol-Britannia*
  • 11 Westwood
  • 13 Glen Erin*
  • 14 Lorne Park*
  • 20 Rathburn
  • 23 Lakeshore
  • 26 Burnhamthorpe
  • 28 Confederation*
  • 29 Park Royal-Homelands*
  • 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line
  • 36 Colonial-Ridgeway*
  • 44 Mississauga Road
  • 46 Tenth Line-Osprey
  • 48 Erin Mills
  • 51 Tomken*
  • 61 Mavis
  • 68 Terry Fox
  • 70 Keaton
  • 91 Hillcrest-Cooksville GO
  • 101 Dundas Express
  • 104 Derry Express
  • 107 Malton Express
  • 108 Meadowvale Business Express
  • 109 Meadowvale Express

*indicates supplementary school trips have resumed

2. Holiday schedules will be in effect on Labour Day and Thanksgiving

On Labour Day – September 7 and Thanksgiving Day – October 12, buses will operate on a holiday schedule and service will be cancelled on the following routes:

• 28 Confederation 
  • 35 Eglinton-Ninth Line
  • 46 Tenth Line-Osprey
  • 48 Erin Mills
  • 68 Terry Fox

3. Route 104 Derry Express will be revised

On Monday, September 7, Route 104 Derry Express will be revised to service the terminal stop at Westwood Square (Platform K) on Morning Star Drive. Stops along the revised portion of the route (Morning Star Dr, Etude Dr) will not be serviced in order to maintain express route schedules.

Blue button that reads I'm unable to wear a mask

4. Route 101A Dundas Express will be revised

On Monday, September 7, Route 101A Dundas Express will be revised, no longer servicing the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM). Other routing options to the campus include:

• 1C Dundas-Collegeway
  • 44 Mississauga Road
  • 101 Dundas Express
  • 110 University Express
101A_IRM_Sept7_2020_M-F_Print_5Inch.png

5. Secondary school service will resume

Starting Tuesday, September 8, secondary school routes will resume to accommodate students returning to school. 300 series routes, planned specifically for high school students, will operate.

The following routes are scheduled to resume:

• 302 ‐ Philip Pocock‐Bloor West
  • 304 ‐ Father Goetz‐Mississauga Valley
  • 305 ‐ Streetsville‐Falconer
  • 306 ‐ Streetsville Secondary‐Terry Fox
  • 307 ‐ Philip Pocock‐Bloor East
  • 308 ‐ St. Joseph‐Eglinton
  • 309 ‐ St. Joseph‐Rathburn
  • 310 ‐ Clarkson Secondary‐Winston Churchill
  • 313 ‐ Streetsville Secondary‐Meadowvale
  • 314 ‐ Rick Hansen‐Creditview
  • 315 ‐ Rick Hansen‐City Centre
  • 321 ‐ Stephen Lewis‐St. Joan of Arc
  • 334 ‐ St. Joseph‐City Centre
  • 335 ‐ Glenforest South
  • 341 ‐ Ninth Line‐Thomas
  • 347 ‐ Loyola‐South Common

Of course, I presume this is all predicated on schools resuming in September. 

Is the rotating Holiday route cancellation a cost-saving measure from the pandemic?  It seems they've settled on a particular set routes to suspend that have reasonable alternatives nearby for affected passengers. 

As for the 101A, the passengers have spoken about not wanting to be detoured through UTM.  I do wish that the express maps would show where the stops are rather than hinting at them by listing the cross-street.  That would explain why Woodchester is shown on the 101A map for example.  I do find it odd that aside from the initial mention of the 101A DUNDAS EXPRESS, every subsequent mention of the route (or the 101 branch) was missing the Express which I've added.

Still no update on the MiWay Five Plan 2020 map or on the next round of MiWay Five 2021-2025. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

All printers are to be offering 2 hours transfers on the buses, but as noted a few were not 2 hours for some odd reason. 

As for Cooksville, platforms number backward and only can see 3 MT bus routes servicing it. 53, 28 and 91 are the only routes I see going there. A few bays will be use for GO to layover and one bay will not be use where the bollards are and that leaves 11 platforms for X service. The current new GO platform was built for track 1 & 2 once there is 4/3 tracks in the corridor. All they got to do is to build a retaining wall on the northside of the platform and track 1 when track 1 is built. Track 4 will be on the southside of the current 2 tracks. This keeps GO and CP running on their own to tracks from the Humber River to north of 403, as well not interfering with each other unless CP decides it need to use track 3. Cannot see a south platform at this time. It would require new elevators being built from the tunnel and the walkway, as well a set of stairs for both areas. You could put in a walk-in access from the Kiss & Ride area at the east end. Based on yesterday visited, looks like they are shooting for Sept 7 completion or as much as they can by then. All 6 levels of parking is now open, but 6 needs more work as well 5.

Piers are at Hwy 407 and you must look over the sides to see them. Cannot be for Hwy 403 since the LRT is elevated on the westside only. Construction of the LRT Guideway is not to happen until late 2021 or and early 22. This applies to the whole line. COVID-19 may have something to say about dates.

There is a reason for how I post and will leave it there.

As for Kipling, that a good question as what will be completed first.  The PPUDO will not be the same as it was before, but a GO style. The road leading to the PPUDO will be the same, but swing on an angle to the north-west corner to get to the west side of an east-west Kiss & Ride area found at all GO Stations. The east side for taxis only. The south side is public space and a walkway to/from TTC station. You should see the change now as they were supposed to pour the curbs for that road this week. The next 2 months will give us a better picture when we will be using it.

As for Six point, COVID-19 has had a impact on it as well most things and not surprise at the slippage for it. Dundas and Kipling will be finished this year with Bloor, old Dundas and Dunbloor in 2021. Then things have been moving slowly since day one for the whole project, other than the removal of the bridges. I do know the builder has a larger crew on site now compare to the past and things may get done sooner than later

As for the 101A, wasting most riders time going to/from UTM like it has happen on other routes so a few riders can have a short travel trip and not having to transfer.

As for the 5-year plan, either late this year or early next year and it will depend on COVID-19 conditions at the time.

As for the photos, I guess I could broken my post down into a number of them than just one posting.

I forgot to check when I had posted, but the new system maps for September are available online, but haven't made an appearance in bus shelters just yet.  The GO shuttle routes have been removed (temporarily I hope) from the map.  It also still shows the 6 CREDIT WOODLANDS looping along Square One Dr. even though there's no Service Change notice or revised route map.  The revised routing for the 104 DERRY EXPRESS is not shown on any of the maps and I'm not quite sure that anything has changed on the Saturday and Sunday maps.

Weekday Map

Express Map

Saturday Map

Sunday Map

• Thanks 1

A story in the Mississauga News about potential funding for transit with the provision that they be converted to microtransit.  The lower ridership routes would be targeted for conversion if Mississauga decides to take the money.  I've been trying to find the most recent route ridership stats by digging through the City's budget documents but haven't come up with anything yet.  I don't know where the currently suspended GO Shuttles fall in the grand scheme of ridership, but switching them over to microtransit would potentially drive ridership as the routes can potentially pick up and drop off more passengers as it would essentially eliminate the last mile problem.

The survey MiWay conducted to guide the next MiWay Five Plan asked about using services like Uber or Lyft as part of your transit trip.  Still waiting to see what they have planned for the next five-year plan.

The MiWay Five Plan site has quietly removed the notice about shifting routes from Islington to Kipling planned for some time this "Fall".  The scheduled Service Change dates are still listed as September 7, October 26 and December 21 with the last one typically coinciding with the Christmas holidays.  I guess the completion date for Kipling (as well as Churchill Meadows Community Centre) has slipped.  I'm guessing unless something changes with construction, the October Service Change will just be minor tweaks to the schedule.

The proposal to take the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK off the Transitway seems easy enough to do at any time.  It'd probably shave off a few minutes by staying on Eglinton and facilitate transfers at Dixie.

At this rate their 2020 map won't be realized until 2021 at the earliest!  Will the Hurontario LRT face the same fate in the next MiWay Five plan?!

17 hours ago, Gil said:

The MiWay Five Plan site has quietly removed the notice about shifting routes from Islington to Kipling planned for some time this "Fall".  The scheduled Service Change dates are still listed as September 7, October 26 and December 21 with the last one typically coinciding with the Christmas holidays.  I guess the completion date for Kipling (as well as Churchill Meadows Community Centre) has slipped.  I'm guessing unless something changes with construction, the October Service Change will just be minor tweaks to the schedule.

The proposal to take the 87 MEADOWVALE-SKYMARK off the Transitway seems easy enough to do at any time.  It'd probably shave off a few minutes by staying on Eglinton and facilitate transfers at Dixie.

At this rate their 2020 map won't be realized until 2021 at the earliest!  Will the Hurontario LRT face the same fate in the next MiWay Five plan?!

I already stated it will be year end, but more like early 2021 before the Hub open. Cannot open the Hub with no elevators to GO platform, TTC PPUDO and work just starting on TTC parking lot. It does not look like the walk-in building on the north side have the elevator in place as well. Lot of finishing material to be install along pouring the concrete driveway for the Hub. Most of the platform is pour with snow melting system in place. No idea what is out standing inside the Hub or the tunnel. Until all elevators are working, Hub close to being use.

The city has signed an extension with TTC for Islington up to the end of the year and most likely a short option for 2021. TTC want Mississauga Bus bays at the south end so they can tear the old terminal down in 2021 that was supposed happen before now.

As for the 5-year plan, the city currently not allowing the public to attend any council, planning committee or other meetings until sometime in 2021. Based on what taking place, easy to push the plan down the road as it will not have any impact on current service for sometime.

I sit on a City committee and all meetings for the rest of the year will be online. The last meeting 4 months ago was online. Its the same way for a Toronto EA committee I am on and we are supposed to have a public Open house by year end. No idea at this time how it will be done or if it can be done.

Tweaking of routes will happen for schedule change periods and based on ridership as well for this year. Tweaking routes has always been an ongoing thing since 2001 and saying we are doing something.

As for Hurontario LRT, it still on schedule for fall 2024 start up. Britannia to Matheson will be the first intersections to have construction traffic light. Guild was working on the poles for guide wire supports I saw last week. Once install, the rest of the medium will be removed along with the traffic light.

• 2 weeks later...

They seemed to have put up the new system map overnight as of Labour Day evening they still had the August system map with the blue notice up top at shelters.  The September system map has a purple notice, which makes it easy to tell which map is which.

With the MiWay Next5 currently paused since public consultation can't really happen with COVID, I've finally gotten the chance to transcribe the survey conducted back in January (keep that in mind when you see some of the questions) that would shape the new plan.  Aside from a bit of repetitive marketing reinforcement - MiWay, Mississauga's public transit system - it's interesting to see what they pitted against each other in the survey.  It felt at times like getting new glasses, is this better or worse?  Some of the choices in Section 7 were tough!

1. To what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statements about travel and commuting?

[Rank: Disagree strongly/Disagree somewhat/Neither agree nor disagree/Agree somewhat/Agree strongly/Don’t Know]

I often have to budget more travel time than a few years ago for the same trip.

Traffic congestion is an increasing concern across the GTA (Greater Toronto Area).

People like me do not take public transit.

Having a strong public transit system makes cities more livable for everyone.

Mobile tools like Google Maps help me avoid traffic congestion and find the best route.

2. Thinking of a typical week, which of the following modes of travel do you use? Check all that apply.

Other public transit (GO, TTC, Oakville Transit, Brampton Transit, York Region Transit, etc.)

Personal car (yours or your household’s)

Uber, Lyft, taxi service

Walking or bicycling

MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system

Other person’s car (owned outside your household)

3. Now we have some questions about public transit. How familiar are you with MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system?

Highly familiar

Somewhat familiar

Generally unfamiliar

4. How often do you use MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system?

Frequently (8+ trips/week)

Regularly (2-7 trips/week)

Occasionally (1-4 trips/month)

Infrequently (less than once/month)

Never (Non-rider)

5. How likely are you to use MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system in the next three months or so?

Definitely will

Probably will

Might or might not

Probably will not

Definitely will not

6.  Based on your perceptions, how would you rate MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system, on the following attributes?

[Rate: Very good/Good/Satisfactory/Fair/Poor/Not applicable or Don’t know]

a. Ease of travel with stroller or wheeled shopping buggy.

b. Frequency of service.

c. Overall travel time to get where you want to go.

d. Providing covered transit shelters at your departure or transfer points.

e. Value received for fare cost.

f. Availability of seats to sit in.

g. Able to stand or move comfortably on the bus (not being packed together).

h. Ease of travel with bicycle (using rack on front of bus).

i. Easy to transfer between routes.

j. Ease of travel on buses for wheelchairs.

k. Feeling safe while on-board transit.

l. Feeling safe while waiting for transit at the stop.

m. Proximity of bus routes near you.

n. Reliability of service (on schedule).

7. Please indicate which ONE of the following features would be MOST motivating to you and which ONE would be LEAST motivating to you to use MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system, more often.

a. Free Uber trip to or from your transit stop

Transit alerts sent to you when your bus is on detour or late

More frequent service late night/overnight

You can see where your bus is on a map in real time

Transit payment via an app

b. MiWay buses given a higher priority on roads

Free Uber trip to or from your transit stop

Rewards program linked to frequency of use

Bus always on time at your stop

More frequent service on weekends

c. MiWay buses given a higher priority on roads

Bus stop closer to your home or destination

Fewer transfers/more direct routes

Having a seat/or no more than 10 minutes standing

d. MiWay buses given a higher priority on roads

Transit shelter at your stop/your transfer location

More frequent service throughout the day

e. MiWay buses given a higher priority on roads

An Express route in your area

Free, reliable Wi-Fi provided on all buses

Easy-to-use mobile tools to plan your route

f. Transit alerts sent to you when your bus is on detour or late

g. Rewards program linked to frequency of use

h. Free Uber trip to or from your transit stop

i. An Express route in your area

j. Free Uber trip to or from your transit stop

k. Transit alerts sent to you when your bus is on detour or late

l. Transit alerts sent to you when your bus is on detour or late

m. Fewer transfers/more direct routes

8. Which of the following types of MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system trips do you take in a typical month? Check all that apply.

Take MiWay to or from a GO train station or GO bus stop

Take MiWay to connect with Brampton transit, Oakville transit, the TTC or other regional transit

Travel on MiWay to a destination within Mississauga

9. Mississauga is currently constructing a light rail transit line along the centre corridor of Hurontario Street from Port Credit GO station to Brampton. What impact does the upcoming Hurontario Light Rail line have on your perceptions of Mississauga’s public transit system? Would you say it makes you feel…?

Much more favourable

A little more favourable

A little less favourable

Much less favourable

No impact on your perceptions

Don’t Know

10. Presto is the electronic fare card used by MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system, GO Transit and other local transit systems such as the TTC. Do you  currently have an active Presto Card?

Yes

No

11. How many (drivable) personal-use cars or vehicles does your household have?

None

One

Two

Three or more

12. Do you, personally, currently have a valid driver’s license (G2 or G)?

Yes

No

13. Which of the following do you have installed or bookmarked on your smart phone? Check all that apply.

Transit app live-tracking transit

Any ride-service app (Uber, Lyft or a local taxi company)

Apple Maps

Triplinx trip planner

MiWay trip planner

Any parking app

Google Maps

GO app

Some other transit app (specify)

None of these on my phone

Do not have a smart phone

14. If MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system wanted to reach you with news about new routes or new transit features or benefits, what is the best way that you are truly likely to notice/read? Check as many as apply or write in your own suggestion.

Digital signage above overpasses or on transit shelters

Social media ad (on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.)

Online notice on insauga.com

Flyer delivered to your mailbox

Email

Insert included in City of Mississauga mailed communication

Noticein the Mississauga News

Text message

Something else (specify)

15. Which of the following applies to you?

I live in Mississauga

I live outside Mississauga but I travel into Mississauga for work or school

I do not live or work or attend school in Mississauga

16. What is your age?

17. Please indicate the first three digits of your postal code.

18. Do you or does anyone in your household work for…? Check all that apply.

The City of Mississauga

MiWay, Mississauga’s public transit system

Any company working in partnership with MiWay

Any other public transit company

Marketing research

None of the above

19. What is your main reason for using public transit? Pick one.

School: to get to or from Secondary or Post-Secondary classes

Work: Commuting to job

Personal: Errands, appointments, visiting people, going out

20. Are you…?

Female

Male

Non-binary/Prefer not to say

21. What is your occupation? Pick one.

Student

Employed Full-time

Employed Part-time

Homemaker/Caregiver

Retired

Looking for work

22. What is your household composition? Pick one.

Adults only

Adult(s) plus any teens or kids

The barricades for the access road on the south side of the Cooksville GO parking garage were removed today, meaning theoretically MiWay could get the 28 CONFEDERATION and 91 HILLCREST into the station now.  I'm not sure what would be the optimal routing.  Following GO's routing into the station via the condo access road and then exit via the station access road?  Or enter and exit via the station access road and then go around the parking garage to get to the bus loop on the north side of the garage?  Would the extension of the 53 KENNEDY (if it's still going ahead) into Cooksville GO be concurrent with the restoration of MiWay service or would they wait until the October Service Change?  Meanwhile the displays at each platform now appear to be fully installed, just not turned on.

The current setup at Cooksville makes transferring between GO Buses and MiWay difficult with the combination of bad timing and the respective stop locations.

On 9/14/2020 at 5:16 PM, Gil said:

The barricades for the access road on the south side of the Cooksville GO parking garage were removed today, meaning theoretically MiWay could get the 28 CONFEDERATION and 91 HILLCREST into the station now.  I'm not sure what would be the optimal routing.  Following GO's routing into the station via the condo access road and then exit via the station access road?  Or enter and exit via the station access road and then go around the parking garage to get to the bus loop on the north side of the garage?  Would the extension of the 53 KENNEDY (if it's still going ahead) into Cooksville GO be concurrent with the restoration of MiWay service or would they wait until the October Service Change?  Meanwhile the displays at each platform now appear to be fully installed, just not turned on.

The current setup at Cooksville makes transferring between GO Buses and MiWay difficult with the combination of bad timing and the respective stop locations.

The barriers had nothing to do stopping 28 and 91 from using the new bus bay at the parking structure. The road between the condo has been the way the GO buses have been using to get to the bus bays and have the option of using the old route to Hillcrest or the new John St exit. 91 & 28 will use the old route leaving the bus terminal.

I haven't seen any liability issues since late Aug that is stopping 91 & 28 from using the new bus bays.

If 53 is to go to the GO station, either the headway will have to be increase for the extra travel time or another bus will have to be added to the route that will decease in headway. Due COVID-19 losses fare wise, 53 will most like remain as is until sometime in 2021, if then at all for 2021.

I doubt it will make a huge difference though in regards to headway, the 53 even before covid typically had quite a bit of extra time during the route and on top of that some time as a layover on hurontario, an extra 2 minutes each way ( minus rush hour ) would likely keep the schedule the same. Adding another bus for less than an extra Km of route wouldn’t make any sense 

I stumbled across one clue as to the completion of the Kipling Hub (and the subsequent transfer of MiWay routes from Islington station) on the Transit Toronto website regarding the closure of the temporary PPUDO at Kipling.  According to the notice from GO Transit (emphasis mine):

What's changing

Starting at 6:30 p.m. on Friday, September 18, the temporary Kiss & Ride (TTC passenger pick-up and drop-off) along Aukland Road will be closed. A new paid TTC parking lot is being built in this area. There will be changes to how you access the station during construction:

• Use the paid TTC south parking lot via Munster Avenue to access the train platform and GO Station building
  • There is no elevator access to the north or the south side of the station. If you require the use of an elevator, please use Dixie GO Station. 

Later this year a new permanent Kiss & Ride along with an elevator, located northeast of the new bus terminal is expected to open.

Two new elevators connecting to the train platform are also expected to open later this year.

Kipling GO Construction Map

Depending on how much later this year they're talking about could we see the migration take place with the late October Service Change or will they just hold off until the January Service Change?  If it were ready mid-board period would there be a contingency plan to migrate as soon as it was ready?  The terminal itself is further along than the PPUDO, but then again it's a far more complex build.

Meanwhile at the Cooksville GO station construction potentially impeding MiWay's access to the bus loop is slated to wrap up by Monday, September 21.  If it was simply a liability issue for MiWay to access the bus loop with the ongoing construction, then that should be solved by next week.

Going to be interesting how 2 and 103 will be reroute for this mess pertaining to the LRT construction.

QEW and Hurontario intersection will see a full Hurontario closure Thanksgiving 2021 or 2022 for 65-72 hours non stop work. There are a few major issues to deal with before hand that has surface with low water table and flooding being one of them. This could change to Labour Day or ?

Did my first test run from Cooksville GO station by Confederation to Hurontario and it will take 5 minutes for 53 extension.

Up to my last visit, have never seen this sign at Cooksville Station. Its at the GO bus bay waiting room area.

50377228932_38d0a3d995_b.jpg

On 9/21/2020 at 2:02 PM, drum118 said:

Going to be interesting how 2 and 103 will be reroute for this mess pertaining to the LRT construction.

QEW and Hurontario intersection will see a full Hurontario closure Thanksgiving 2021 or 2022 for 65-72 hours non stop work. There are a few major issues to deal with before hand that has surface with low water table and flooding being one of them. This could change to Labour Day or ?

Wasn't the idea to simply pad the times to compensate for the traffic generated by the construction.  I doubt they'd completely close the road in either direction.  MiWay has already suggested alternate routes to the Hurontario corridor like the 8 CAWTHRA, 28 CONFEDERATION, 53 KENNEDY and 66 McLAUGHLIN.  I could see the 53 KENNEDY being rerouted along Confederation if they ever extend it to Cooksville GO.

On 9/23/2020 at 7:59 PM, drum118 said:

Did my first test run from Cooksville GO station by Confederation to Hurontario and it will take 5 minutes for 53 extension.

Up to my last visit, have never seen this sign at Cooksville Station. Its at the GO bus bay waiting room area.

50377228932_38d0a3d995_b.jpg

That sign has been there since they opened the bus loop for GO passengers.  Seeing as MiWay doesn't currently serve the bus loop, they need to be directed to where they can catch the MiWay buses stopping outside of the station.

Transit Toronto has an update on when that might be (emphasis added in green?

Metrolinx is continuing its project to upgrade Cooksville GO Station, as part of the GO Expansion project.

Starting Monday,September 21, GO Transit is opening the east pavilion, east tunnel, east side of the platform and the pedestrian bridge for passengers to use.

The full length of the platform is now available for you to use. Spread out along the platform to board your train.

The east pavilion, north of the passenger pick-up and drop-off area or “Kiss and Ride”, provides more amenities - a waiting area, secure indoor bike shelter and outdoor bike shelter. Inside, you have direct access to the new east tunnel. East-tunnel access is also available from the station building.

If you need an elevator to get to the train platform, use the elevators in the west tunnel or at the pedestrian bridge. The elevator connecting the east tunnel to the east side of the platform is currently out of service.

The pedestrian bridge connecting to the platform, which is accessible from the fourth floor of the parking garage, is also open for you to use.

All six levels of the parking garage are also now fully open, providing more than 1,800 new spots. This brings the total number of parking spots at the station to more than 2,500.

The east pavilion and the east side of the platform have no PRESTO fare-card machines or ticket-vending machines “until later next month” or until October 31. Payment devices remain available in the station building, west tunnel, pedestrian bridge and the bus loop.

Construction is ongoing at the station. Some items, including digital signs, will not be complete “until later this fall” or until November 14.

GO_Cooksville_Map_September222020D6_full size.jpg

Since Monday, August 17, GO has closed stairwells on the north side of the parking garage by the bus loop. Look for signs with information about how to get to where you are going safely. GO says it needs to close part of this area to install a glass canopy. GO continues to close stairwells “on a rotating basis” until work “later this month”, or until September 30.

Monday, May 25, GO opened a new passenger pick-up and drop-off area (or “kiss and ride”) on the east side of the station and a new bus terminal on the north side of the parking garage.

Since “the week of May 4”, GO has closed all parking spaces on the main lot west of Hurontario Street, as contractors resurface the lot. GO says that ample space, including carpool and accessible parking spots, is available in the parking garage. The parking lot remains closed “until the end of 2020” or until about December 31.

If they wrap construction early, there's a chance that the screens will be activated and routes transferred back into Cooksville GO for the October 26 Service Change.  I'm curious as to what will be displayed on the screens.  The ones at Erindale GO have yet to be turned on as well and it seems GO is rolling them out at other stations as well.

18 hours ago, Gil said:

Wasn't the idea to simply pad the times to compensate for the traffic generated by the construction.  I doubt they'd completely close the road in either direction.  MiWay has already suggested alternate routes to the Hurontario corridor like the 8 CAWTHRA, 28 CONFEDERATION, 53 KENNEDY and 66 McLAUGHLIN.  I could see the 53 KENNEDY being rerouted along Confederation if they ever extend it to Cooksville GO.

That sign has been there since they opened the bus loop for GO passengers.  Seeing as MiWay doesn't currently serve the bus loop, they need to be directed to where they can catch the MiWay buses stopping outside of the station.

Transit Toronto has an update on when that might be (emphasis added in green?

If they wrap construction early, there's a chance that the screens will be activated and routes transferred back into Cooksville GO for the October 26 Service Change.  I'm curious as to what will be displayed on the screens.  The ones at Erindale GO have yet to be turned on as well and it seems GO is rolling them out at other stations as well.

I tell you for a fact the Hurontario will be 100% close in both direct at the QEW for Thanksgiving 2021 or 2022 as I noted. Buses will have to use Queensway/Cawthra/Lakeshore? for that weekend from my point of view. As far as I know, all on Ramps to the QEW as well the westbound Off ramp will be close as well.

Sorry, but sign hasn't been there since GO started to use the new bus bays and have photos showing no sign. If there was a sign then, would had shot it.

Can't see any reason why miWay can't use the bus bays since they open or a few days ago when I was there.

As for 53, if it stays 100% on Confederation and not follow 28 route, going to need an extra 5+ minutes added to the current schedule. If 53 does get extended to the GO Station, may think twice of using GO trains to Union when I have to.

Construction of Hurontario infrastructure gets underway early 2021 where padded time will be needed and continue to late 2023 or early 24.

@mikenoza Regarding the XDE60 buses, they are currently in production at New Flyer and delivery should begin anytime soon, likely sometime within the next few weeks. They will have the BAE HybriDrive like all the existing hybrids. They will also have the New Flyer Smart Rider system.

However there is a good chance they won't hit the road until 2021, as any incidental things such as training, preparation of new buses etc. has been deferred due to staffing and budget pressures.

As for the comments about the 53 being extended to Cooksville, the original MiWay Five plan did have the 53 terminating there however it was deferred due to the construction at the station. I do feel it will be extended there eventually as the current on street loop is not very sufficient from a operations perspective. Regardless of the routing, the round trip time (RTT) will increase so either the frequency gets reduced with less buses or an additional bus gets added. The current 35 minute midday and evening service (70 min RTT, 2 buses) can probably be adjusted to 40 minutes (80 min RTT) without adding any resources as ridership was light even before the pandemic. If peak ridership eventually returns to pre-pandemic levels then a extra bus would likely be required to avoid the existing 20-22 minute frequency being reduced (80-88 min RTT, 4 buses).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Wouldn't they use North and South Service Roads?

I have no idea how buses will be routed at this time during the closure, but I would go this way as the service roads will be plug with traffic delaying the buses.

On 9/26/2020 at 10:21 AM, drum118 said:

I tell you for a fact the Hurontario will be 100% close in both direct at the QEW for Thanksgiving 2021 or 2022 as I noted. Buses will have to use Queensway/Cawthra/Lakeshore? for that weekend from my point of view. As far as I know, all on Ramps to the QEW as well the westbound Off ramp will be close as well.

Sorry, but sign hasn't been there since GO started to use the new bus bays and have photos showing no sign. If there was a sign then, would had shot it.

Can't see any reason why miWay can't use the bus bays since they open or a few days ago when I was there.

As for 53, if it stays 100% on Confederation and not follow 28 route, going to need an extra 5+ minutes added to the current schedule. If 53 does get extended to the GO Station, may think twice of using GO trains to Union when I have to.

Construction of Hurontario infrastructure gets underway early 2021 where padded time will be needed and continue to late 2023 or early 24.

The sign has been there, given its size it's hard to miss and I can see it from the train at the east end of the bus loop.  It gets moved around when work is being done in the area and on some days I've seen it tipped over either from the wind or a careless construction worker.

As for the traffic on Hurontario, unless the road is going to be completely closed the corridor still needs to be serviced, much like the Eglinton corridor in Toronto during construction of the LRT there.  They'll have no other option but to pad the timing.  From Cooksville GO southward, if the 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS winds up serving the station they could conceiveably run down Confederation to Trillium as it's a close enough walk to Hurontario.

If the 53 KENNEDY does wind up being detoured to Confederation, it would not share any stops with the 28 CONFEDERATION until it got to Hillcrest and then at Cooksville GO.  The alternative once construction starts on that stretch of Hurontario is probably going be more than the 5 minutes.

In other things that may be of interest, I've been trying to find the route ridership information on the City's website.  I know it exists, but the website revamp was making finding it trickier.  Thankfully it's been posted on UrbanToronto:

October 2019 MiWay Ridership-converted-page-001.jpg

October 2019 MiWay Ridership-converted-page-002.jpg

Now all that's needed is a Steve Munro-esque analysis.  Dumping the data into a spreadsheet would also be useful for sorting and comparison purposes.  There are a few anomalies such as some of the 300-series high school routes registering with 0 passengers.