MiWay

Orion VIII

How will buses be number if 109 buses are order for 2021?? Unless some bus numbers are pushed into 2020 numbers or 2022, going to need  5 numbers. Wouldn't be the first system to do that when ordering more than 100 buses for a year. 21109

The Malton Garage expansion project is nearing completion. This project included the construction of a second washbay, as well as site improvements for better capacity. This allows the service capacity for Malton to increase from 75 to 100 buses.

Come the January 6 service changes, Malton will receive MiExpress buses and operate several blocks on both the 104 and 107. They will require a minimum of 8 MiExpress buses for service and factoring in spares, will probably get 10 or 11 MiExpress buses. The blocks Malton will operate are:

104 (3 AM buses and 3 PM buses) - 540a-1036a540a-938a555a-953a203p-716p235p-741p250p-755p

107 (5 all day buses and 2 evening buses) - 504a-802p524a-823p536a-715p711a-851p740a-836p841p-1103p901p-1123p

Nothing major to note for the January 6 service changes. A bunch of routes are getting earlier and later trips on Saturdays and Sundays. Some GO shuttles will have low ridership trips cut - the 32 loses the 545a and 609a trips, 49A loses the 427p trip, 64 loses the 547a and 804p trips, and 67 loses the 552a, 616a, and 627a trips.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

Man dies, operator has minor injuries, Derry/Tomken 

https://www.680news.com/2019/12/10/man-dies-after-hitting-back-of-mississauga-city-bus/

77069B25-6464-4743-9818-E84964634724.jpeg

Routes 15, 42 and 104 had detour notices posted:

• Route 42 (East)
    Route 42 eastbound, 15 eastbound, 104 eastbound on detour between Derry/Tomken and Derry/Columbus due to road closure/collision. South on Tomken to left on Midway to left on Columbus to right on Derry to normal.
  • Route 42 (West)
    15 westbound, 42 westbound, 104 westbound on detour between Derry/Cardiff and Derry/Tomken due to road closure/collision. Turn right on Cardiff to left on Tomken to Derry.

Meanwhile there were also several routes (1 DUNDAS, 3 BLOOR, 19 HURONTARIO, 26 BURNHAMTHORPE, 35 EGLINTON, 42 DERRY, 61 MAVIS, 101 DUNDAS EXPRESS, 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS) that had this message posted:

Some trips may not be available. Please check www.miway.ca for real time information. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Anyone know what was going on?  I definitely noticed the lack of 35s at the tail end of rush hour tonight.  I don't think there's a common denominator among the routes affected aside from the garage allocation.  Almost as bad as when the iBus system went down a few weeks ago and a lot of scheduling went out the window!

18 hours ago, Gil said:

Meanwhile there were also several routes (1 DUNDAS, 3 BLOOR, 19 HURONTARIO, 26 BURNHAMTHORPE, 35 EGLINTON, 42 DERRY, 61 MAVIS, 101 DUNDAS EXPRESS, 103 HURONTARIO EXPRESS) that had this message posted:

Some trips may not be available. Please check www.miway.ca for real time information. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Anyone know what was going on?  I definitely noticed the lack of 35s at the tail end of rush hour tonight.  I don't think there's a common denominator among the routes affected aside from the garage allocation.  Almost as bad as when the iBus system went down a few weeks ago and a lot of scheduling went out the window!

I can only assume that trips were cancelled because of no operator available to fill the work. 

Yesterday around 6PM there were 16 blocks with no bus tracking on them. Granted some may have not been tracking for other reasons, but I wouldn't doubt that a good deal of them were missing for the reason listed above. 

As it stands there are currently 9 blocks not tracking. 

Likewise on Fridays there have been quite a few Fridays since September where there have been a great deal of buses not tracking. 

• 2 weeks later...

The app I have for miWay shows a different schedule than the one posted at Islington or the website. The app said Sunday 3 was due at 4:45 while the schedule said 5 pm or 4:38, yet the bus arrived at 5:08. These days I have an 98% chance of not catching a 3 at the schedule posted time regardless the time of the day or the day of the week. In the past the 3 left 2 minutes ahead of schedule.

I saw a white 109 bus, not once, but 3 times in a row. Seeing one would be par, but 3 in a row on Sunday is new.

Shot 1905 on 3 this week as I was walking to Sq One. and the first time seeing one

49249806212_8bd76324c3_b.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On December 22, 2019 at 9:14 AM, transitfan100 said:

down since 11:35pm last night

On December 22, 2019 at 8:41 AM, soo8513 said:

seems no MiWay buses are tracking on Transitt55 or Transsee this morning.

On December 22, 2019 at 1:06 PM, TTC 9701 said:

Trapeze update perhaps.

Now that I think about the last time it went down it was around the same time in November. If it's a scheduled update, it seems odd to do it during the day.  The outage on November 22 from the chatter from dispatch was the iBus system going down. Drivers were having to radio their positions and when they were going into and out of service.

Dispatch was also pleading with drivers to follow their manual run guides to stay on schedule. I happened to be on one bus where the driver was essentially speeding along the route if the bus couldn't be tracked there'd be no penalty. Eventually someone figured out how to manually sign into the iBus system. How long it took to disseminate that information probably explains why a lot of buses were still not connected past midnight. (First image is a screenshot from 9pm the second from 1am)

Have they become so reliant on technology that drivers can't figure out how to pace themselves on their routes without a display? It's not like it's the first time they've ever driven those routes. I guess it's a little trickier if you don't wear a watch to gauge your time!

IMG_20191122_210237.png

IMG_20191123_005949.png

Happy New Year everyone!

Tonight could be the last time the 7 AIRPORT and will be the last time 34 CREDIT VALLEY will be offering New Year's Eve service with it being slated to be truncated or eliminated in 2020.  If they replace it with the 35 EGLINTON will they force people travelling from Celebration Square to Malton to transfer at Islington/Kipling unless they add the 107 MALTON EXPRESS or 42 DERRY.

Why is the 23 LAKESHORE split into two different routes at Port Credit GO?  Due to the road closures around Celebration Square, the 26 BURNHAMTHORPE is effectively running on the weekend/holiday routing.  Technically, New Year's Day is a holiday so do they switch the routing over?

Route

Direction

Departing From

Stop Number

Last Trip

1 Dundas

East

Vega Boulevard

2:52 am

West

Islington Subway Bus Terminal – Platform E

4:05 am

3 Bloor

East

City Centre Transit Terminal/Square One – Platform G

3:15 am

West

Islington Subway Bus Terminal – Platform B

5 Dixie*

South

Eglinton Avenue at Dixie Road

2:45 am

North

Long Branch GO Station - Platform A

3:16 am

7 Airport

South

Westwood Square Bus Terminal – Platform C

3:35 am

North

City Centre Transit Terminal/Square One – Platform K

3:37 am

10 Bristol-Britannia

South

Meadowvale Town Centre – Platform J

4:09 am

North

City Centre Transit Terminal/Square One – Platform O

3:55 am

11 Westwood

South

Westwood Square Bus Terminal – Platform J

3:34 am

North

Islington Subway Bus Terminal – Platform B

4:08 am

13 Glen Erin

South

Meadowvale Town Centre – Platform F

2:59 am

North

Clarkson GO - Platform 5

3:23 am

19 Hurontario*

South

Hurontario Street at Britannia Road

4:35 am

North

Port Credit GO – Platform 6

4:37 am

23 Lakeshore *

East

Clarkson GO – Platform 7

3:41 am

West

Port Credit GO – Platform 7

3:48 am

East

Port Credit GO – Platform 8

3:56 am

West

Longbranch GO – Platform A

2:48 am

26 Burnhamthorpe

East

South Common Centre – Platform K

3:32 am

West

Islington Subway – Platform D

4:18 am

34 Credit Valley

East

Erin Mills Town Centre – Platform B

West

City Centre Transit Terminal/Square One – Platform K

4:47 am

61 Mavis*

South

Mavis Road at Derry Road

4:53 am

North

City Centre Transit Terminal/Square One – Platform I

5:19 am

66 McLaughlin

South

Sheridan College Davis Campus (Brampton)

North

City Centre Transit Terminal/Square One – Platform H

Work is already underway for the next round of MiWay5.  Currently there's a public survey seeking input.  Here's their timeline to getting it out for implementation:

• Study announcement

MiWay Five Transit Service Plan 2021 to 2025 has finished this stage

Oct 2019

•  

Data collection/existing system evaluation

MiWay Five Transit Service Plan 2021 to 2025 has finished this stage

Oct to Dec 2019

•  

Public input survey: What would make you take transit more?

MiWay Five Transit Service Plan 2021 to 2025 is currently at this stage

Available until January 20, 2020

• Development/evaluation of strategic directions

this is an upcoming stage for MiWay Five Transit Service Plan 2021 to 2025

Jan to Feb 2020

• Plan development

Feb to Mar 2020

• Public Information Centres

Mar/Apr 2020

• Recommendations to Council

Spring 2020

An overnight fatal accident has closed the intersection of Eglinton and Mavis.  Along with the ensuing traffic spilling over onto Creditview and McLaughlin routes 34, 35, 61 and 87 are being detoured.

The Alert page is only specific for the 61 southbound detour routing:

• Route 61 (South)
    Attn all OP due to a road closure on Eglington and Mavis Please use the following detour Route 61 South From Eglington Right on Winterton Left on Hetherleigh Ave. Cross Eglington onto Sandford Farm Dr. Left on White Clover Right on Mavis
  • Route 61
    Due to road closure on Eglington and Mavis all routes are detoured from area,,,affected routes are 34, 35, 61 and 87 all direction...no bus stops serviced in the intersection due to road closure...Please go to previous intersection.
  • Based on tracking from Transit55.ca the affected routes are using some combination of Guildwood, Winterton, Heatherleigh, Sandford Farm, White Clover and Huntington Ridge. Why isn't this information posted as well? (Side observation, Guildwood and Winterton are the only streets that don't change names when crossing an arterial road.)
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 5:22 PM, mikenoza said:

I thought the 08 artics were supposed to retire this year? I saw 0884 a week ago

Replacement of the 2008 D60LFRs was deferred until the delivery of new buses in 2021 in order to take advantage of federal/provincial infrastructure funding. It looks like 2021 will be a big year with over 100 buses purchased and the remaining D40LF buses as well as the 2008 D60LFR being replaced.

The tender for 11 MiExpress articulated buses was awarded to New Flyer. These buses will be hybrid (XDE60) with the BAE hybrid system. At this point these 11 buses will be expansion buses to help with overcrowding on the transitway. The city requested delivery of all 11 buses by September 30 but given how long the tender took to close and award that's a tight timeframe.

5 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

Replacement of the 2008 D60LFRs was deferred until the delivery of new buses in 2021 in order to take advantage of federal/provincial infrastructure funding. It looks like 2021 will be a big year with over 100 buses purchased and the remaining D40LF buses as well as the 2008 D60LFR being replaced.

The tender for 11 MiExpress articulated buses was awarded to New Flyer. These buses will be hybrid (XDE60) with the BAE hybrid system. At this point these 11 buses will be expansion buses to help with overcrowding on the transitway. The city requested delivery of all 11 buses by September 30 but given how long the tender took to close and award that's a tight timeframe.

Wouldn't be the first time MT has got buses before Sept with short time between contract and delivery. It boils down to finding slots in the production runs, pushing another order back.

I said to the GM over a year ago that it was time to replace the 40's with 60's on 109 mostly and some on the 107, as well reducing the headway.

Given the fact NovaBus finally got their foot in the door, NFI is going to do what it can to close that door, since MT has been one of their better customers ordering their buses all these years. By signing the contract with that delivery date and no foreseen issues, should happen.

Are the stop announcements tied to GPS or something else like mileage or time?  I was on a bus last night (Wednesday) that was announcing the stops in order but at the wrong point along the route.  The bus was not tracking on Transit55, so I'm wondering if they're not GPS based unless they were having issues last night.

9 hours ago, Gil said:

Are the stop announcements tied to GPS or something else like mileage or time?  I was on a bus last night (Wednesday) that was announcing the stops in order but at the wrong point along the route.  The bus was not tracking on Transit55, so I'm wondering if they're not GPS based unless they were having issues last night.

It’s GPS, and they probably haven’t re-synced the iBus or had the tracker had an issue