MiWay

Orion VIII

Don’t know if it was already mentioned but...

all the 08 and 09 LFRs have a new seating layout. 

Single seat on left sides now with 4 wheelchair seats, a wall by the right wheelchair area, new handle grab things and “SHOW YOU CARE...” decals on the bus windows

A14BBB52-21F5-4F79-A815-581928686E86.jpeg

• Root Admin
18 hours ago, Orion V said:

Silly Tilley mentioned this a few months ago. They get it during their overhaul or something like that.

No, this was a separate project done in partnership with MTB in Milton. The city does not do any major overhaul of their transit vehicles.

16 hours ago, Jan Boic said:

No, this was a separate project done in partnership with MTB in Milton. The city does not do any major overhaul of their transit vehicles.

I'd caution against saying that MiWay doesn't do any major overhaul of the vehicles. While Mississauga certainly doesn't have a scheduled top-to-bottom vehicle overhaul program, vehicle components are overhauled on an as needed basis.

MiWay's 10-year budget has an average of $7 million annually going towards various overhauls for the bus fleet. 

For example you'll find that most of the 03s that are still in service have had large sections of flooring ripped up and replaced, particularly around the rear door and raised rear section, something that would normally occur under a top-to-bottom overhaul. 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:15 PM, Jan Boic said:

On 6/27/2019 at 9:22 AM, MT0603 said:

I'd caution against saying that MiWay doesn't do any major overhaul of the vehicles. While Mississauga certainly doesn't have a scheduled top-to-bottom vehicle overhaul program, vehicle components are overhauled on an as needed basis.

MiWay's 10-year budget has an average of $7 million annually going towards various overhauls for the bus fleet. 

For example you'll find that most of the 03s that are still in service have had large sections of flooring ripped up and replaced, particularly around the rear door and raised rear section, something that would normally occur under a top-to-bottom overhaul.

I would argue that individual components being fixed/repaired/replaced on an as-needed basis does not qualify as a "major overhaul" of the vehicle as @Jan Boic stated.

13 hours ago, Articulated said:

I would argue that individual components being fixed/repaired/replaced on an as-needed basis does not qualify as a "major overhaul" of the vehicle as @Jan Boic stated.

This really is a matter of semantics, but in any case the statement, and as I too quoted, was "any major overhaul". 

Forget words for now and let's look at this from a numbers perspective. Mississauga has 500 buses and for the next 10 years has an average annual transit bus overhaul/rebuild/replacement capital budget of $7 million and climbing. Annually that works out to $14 thousand per bus and means on average over a 15-year life of a bus in Mississauga $210 thousand are budgeted on said capital costs. 

A York Region report regarding electric buses from 10 January 2019 noted the Region's capital costs for diesel buses was $15.6 thousand annually, that's only 11.4% more than Mississauga.

So Mississauga spends 89.7% of what York Region does on vehicle overhauls, yet does not do any major overhauls by your definition. 

That's misleading and is a narrow view on what makes for a major overhaul. 

• Confused 1

22 hours ago, MT0603 said:

That's misleading and is a narrow view on what makes for a major overhaul.

I think that it's fair to assume that a "major overhaul", at least in the transit sense, could be interpreted as a program where a vehicle is pulled out of service for a prolonged period of time and has virtually every major sub-system replaced whether it needs it or not. That has traditionally been the case for programs such as the TTC's well-known mid-life rebuild program.

And that is precisely not what Mississauga does. It seems that they use a more progressive, pre-emptive maintenance program that replaces individual components likely before they need to be replaced - but not all of them in one fell swoop.

It is a major job to remove a major sub-system such as a driveline or an axle assembly, but by the same token the scale of work is also far less than tearing the bus back to the frame and installing new or rebuilt components. I think that's the argument being made here.

Dan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• Root Admin
1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

Sorry, I thought we were getting 11 NOVAs identical to 1801-class, in September.  Is this a change or additional?

I'm hearing they're coming with the redesigned driver window as well.

On 7/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, Jan Boic said:

I'm hearing they're coming with the redesigned driver window as well.

Yes, I heard they will look very similar to the TTC. Just with the typical MiWay double headlights and full rear side window.

9 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

1020 has Voith. 

...hence why I said “first 19”. 

7 hours ago, TransitfanJW said:

I've always felt that 1020 sounded very different from the 1200s. Are there any major differences between them? Most major specs appear to be the same.

No difference aside from transmission.

• Thanks 2