MiWay

Orion VIII

On 1/2/2019 at 2:03 PM, TransitfanJW said:

What is 57A supposed to be? There's no mention of it in the miway 5 map.

The 57A was on previous versions of MiWay Five proposed maps as a rush hour branch deviating into the Airport Infield. It isn't on the recent version so it may be a mistake, or plans have changed which wouldn't be surprising.

On 1/25/2019 at 3:25 PM, Orion V said:

I always thought MIWay is the system that specs their buses higher than others because they never rebuild them throughout their lives. Similar to why they went with the LFR in 2006 way before most other systems. Everything is top end so they can last longer without rebuilds.

Just my 2 cents...

While MiWay doesn't have a rebuild or refurbishing program where buses are refurbished at a determined timepoint similar to TTC, Brampton, Oakville, etc. major work such as engine/transmission and body/structural work is done on a as needed basis regardless of the age of the bus. A lot of the 03 and 05 D40LFs have received body and structural work over the last few years for example. This work requires major money and resources just like a scheduled rebuild or refurbishment would.

On 1/26/2019 at 12:57 PM, NewFlyerFan said:

I know their express buses are top notch but I rarely take transit down there and it’s only been MiExpress when I do

however their orders for the novas seems to have been done to be the cheapest. Small things like unable to turn lights off when deadheading, pull cord curtains for drivers, lack of fire suppression ( I’m going to try and confirm first hand ) and even narrow rear doors are all expensive options they opted out of and their fleet is always breaking down. I’ll see at least one a day during my shift ( not saying my company doesn’t break down, just an observation)

Depends on what your criteria is, the big 3 in the Toronto area all pay about the same. It all comes down to what you want your commuting time to be and what you what your work-life to be

for now miway and Brampton don’t have 24hr service so latest you’re out is around 3am whereas TTC is 24/7. Mississauga will obviously be quieter then Toronto and less stressful so if that’s your worry, then miway is a good choice but if you already live anywhere but  the west end of Toronto you’re better off applying at the TTC 

It's true that MiWay buses don't have fire suppression, this includes the Novas. I agree that there's benefits to having the system and maybe the recent string of fires will make MiWay consider them, kind of like how the TTC decided to install them on their fleet after a string of fires.

As for the Novas specification wise, I think you're cherrypicking a bit. What about the options they still have that are additional cost, such as a rear window, USSC Gemini seats (not the cheapest on the market), and stuff like adjustable transfer cutter, arm rest, etc for the driver that are consistent with previous bus orders?

I'm not sure what you mean by the shades for drivers, other than the fact there's a pull cord to release the shades they appear consistent with everything that has been installed on the existing fleet? 

As for the rear doors, I assume what you meant was not opting for wide rear doors because MiWay's Novas have the standard rear doors. MiWay has never opted for wider rear doors on the 40' buses until the 2017 XD40s and who knows if that will continue on future express bus orders. If the Novas had the wide rear door it would reduce the seating capacity even further (only 30 seats on the 18s as is) and in the case of the LFS artic, would a wider rear door affect the capacity of the fuel tank? Just a thought, not sure.

Others have bought up the lack of frameless windows on the Novas and frameless windows are expensive, weigh a lot more and can be time consuming and expensive to repair. Speaking strictly from a passenger perspective, traditional glazed windows also rattle a lot less and with black paint around the windows it accomplishes almost the same visual effect.

What may be seen as 'cheap' may actually be the more practical decision and/or a effort to specify the buses as close as possible to the existing fleet.  

--

In other news, starting next month all 2006-2009 D40LFR buses will begin undergoing modifications to the seating layout on the driver side in the low floor section. The existing layout of 2 sideways fold up seats and 3 rows of 2 forward facing seats will be modified to 4 sideways fold up seats and 2 rows of single forward facing seats. The change will allow more room for mobility devices to maneuver into the wheelchair position on the driver side and the added benefit of more standing capacity.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

In other news, starting next month all 2006-2009 D40LFR buses will begin undergoing modifications to the seating layout on the driver side in the low floor section. The existing layout of 2 sideways fold up seats and 3 rows of 2 forward facing seats will be modified to 4 sideways fold up seats and 2 rows of single forward facing seats. The change will allow more room for mobility devices to maneuver into the wheelchair position on the driver side and the added benefit of more standing capacity.

I feel this is an excellent decision to create more room for passengers .?

2 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

From my opinion perimeter seating throughout is better. Fits more passengers.

2 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

I feel this is an excellent decision to create more room for passengers .?

Doesn’t matter what is done, there’ll for sure 100% be benefit on the lower section but no matter how many times you say it, people refuse to go to the elevated part of the bus. 

Prime example of this is the Novas, the new seating arrangement hasn’t helped that much; people still fear they’ll miss their stop. My own opinion is that people will continue to be like this until there is a major change in the interior design (dare I say 3 doors??). Of course that’s a whole other can of worms not fit for this thread. 

Looking at the MiWay LFS 40ft, I was shocked the lower portion doesn't have single seats on the driver's side whereas the Orion VII and Xcelsiors all have it for MiLocal.

Does it take the number of seats way too low so they decided to keep double seats on both sides of the LFS 40ft?

9 minutes ago, Orion V said:

Looking at the MiWay LFS 40ft, I was shocked the lower portion doesn't have single seats on the driver's side whereas the Orion VII and Xcelsiors all have it for MiLocal.

Does it take the number of seats way too low so they decided to keep double seats on both sides of the LFS 40ft?

the 2017 novas have double seats on driver side, 2018 novas have single seats drivers side

A mixed bag to discuss:

1) MiWay has posted the details for the Service Changes for 2019 as seen earlier:

Year Four - 2019 - Strengthening the Grid

Date

Route

Change

April 29

42 Derry

Monday - Sunday

Re-routed to operate from Old Derry Road to Derry Road between Mavis Road and Creditview Road (consistent with Route 104 – Derry Express).

57/57A Courtneypark

Monday - Friday

Restructured to operate between Renforth Station and Meadowvale Town Centre via Old Derry Road.

This route will operate throughout the day Monday to Friday with new midday service added.

July 1 11 Westwood

Monday - Sunday

Routing simplified by eliminating the 11A and 11B branches; Improvement in service levels.

16/16A Malton

Monday - Sunday

Restructured to reduce duplication with other routes; Improvement in service levels.

As a result, Route 30 Woodbine will be cancelled.

30 Woodbine Cancelled - Replaced by New/Existing Service on 16/16A
August 5 19/19A Hurontario

Monday - Sunday

Routing simplified by eliminating the 19B and 19C branches.

September 2 61 Mavis

Monday to Sunday

Route 61/61A branches consolidated; duplication with Route 42 eliminated along Derry Road.

October 28 38 Creditview

Monday - Sunday

Routing streamlined between Dundas Street West and Meadowvale Town Centre, no longer servicing the Bancroft Loop.

68 Windsor-Hill Loop

Monday - Saturday

Due to improvements on Route 38, Route 68 routing will be extended to service the Bancroft Loop – replacing Route 38 within this area.

The 57A is probably a rush hour extension into the Infield Terminal.  Meanwhile, the 68 WINDSOR HILL (the Loop part was removed last year) going up to Bancroft to cover the gridlined 38 CREDITVIEW means that neighbourhood loses service on Sundays and Holidays, plus the clockwise looping means getting to Erindale GO or simply to the improved service on Creditview means having to walk down to Britannia to go west.  Perhaps my earlier suggestion to run the service up to Financial would allow for two-way service along Bancroft.  Still curious what they have planned for the February Service Change.  Looks like there won't be any route changes which are outline above, just scheduling changes.

2) Watching Transit55's feed in the storm last night, does MiWay ever short turn its buses?  There were several instances where buses had all bunched up for whatever reason going in one direction with none going in the other direction.  Having 3 buses travelling in a pack doesn't make sense in Toronto, it shouldn't here!  I've seen express buses travelling in pairs where they'll leapfrog each other trying to get back on schedule, but having more than that, especially when travelling slowly due to road conditions means that those waiting for those buses to reach their terminus and then turn around will be out for a while.

3) Has anyone seen the comments at the Mississauga Moves Transportation Master Plan?  There is/was an Open House in the Great Hall at City Hall until February 3 during regular hours.  Someone had asked about extending the 25 TRADERS LOOP to the west side of Hurontario in the absence of two-way service along Matheson.  Hopefully the Open House will spur more people to post their suggestions there.  I'd also be curious as to what became of the other rush hour-only express routes they had originally planned for the Transitway.  

On 1/29/2019 at 5:16 PM, TTC 9701 said:

From my opinion perimeter seating throughout is better. Fits more passengers.

Trust me, all perimeter seating is that last thing you, or anyone would want. Sure it would help with mobility devices, but it results in less standing area than you think with all the legs protruding into the aisle and ultimately impeding passenger flow.

The HSR (Hamilton Street Railway) is essentially the only municipality in the GTAH which has opted for this kind of layout, and there's a reason why they are the only ones (ie: they dont know what they're doing over there).

MiWay will be shutting down their ticket booth at Islington Station on March 4.  They're directing people to use the self-serve machines at the station.  Question: can those ones be programmed to load MiWay passes onto your PRESTO card?  I know you can load TTC passes on them.

BroadcastBanner_IslingtonBoothClosure_2019_600x355-780x175.png

As of March 4, 2019, the MiWay Fares Booth at Islington Subway Station will be closed. PRESTO Service Locations – where you can buy a PRESTO card or load funds – are available across the Greater Toronto Area, including 29 Shoppers Drug Mart locations across Mississauga.

Find a location near you!

You can also load funds onto your PRESTO card:

• Using the Fare Vending Machine or Self-Serve Reload Machine at Islington Subway Station
  • Online at prestocard.ca
  • By calling PRESTO (1-877-378-6123)

On 2/6/2019 at 5:12 PM, Gil said:

MiWay will be shutting down their ticket booth at Islington Station on March 4.  They're directing people to use the self-serve machines at the station.  Question: can those ones be programmed to load MiWay passes onto your PRESTO card?  I know you can load TTC passes on them.

There's no prompt for MiWay passes, so no.

Every time I've been able to catch the 7:45pm  39 BRITANNIA from Renforth Station this week it never appears on MiWay's site in Real Time and appears on Transit55 as a "ghost bus" (see attached). The stop announcements are never made, so I assume they're all tied to the GPS on the bus.

Each bus I've caught on this trip this week has been one of the 2006s. Have they had their units pre-emptively removed since they're nearing retirement?

IMG_20190208_195857.png

i know this is off topic but it seems to be an active group 

i have applied to miway back in september filled out everything and when i log in its telling me they would like to know more about me but i've already filled everything out submitted my resume cover letter drivers abstract school info and all sections of their questionnaire is there someone i could talk to so that my profile isn't over looked? also when are their training classes resuming any help would be greatly appreciated 

36 minutes ago, millersteve552 said:

i know this is off topic but it seems to be an active group 

i have applied to miway back in september filled out everything and when i log in its telling me they would like to know more about me but i've already filled everything out submitted my resume cover letter drivers abstract school info and all sections of their questionnaire is there someone i could talk to so that my profile isn't over looked? also when are their training classes resuming any help would be greatly appreciated