MiWay

Orion VIII

21 minutes ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Probably a long shot, but I wouldn’t be sure about calling it a write off. The front part seems untouched, so there’s still more than half a bus left. Can anyone comment on the structural integrity of it after all that? I want to say it’s still salvageable because most of the damage seems to be contained to the rear left corner. 

I use 1352 as a precedent, despite the lack of fireworks in that case.

Knowing MiWay, I really don't think they'll fix it, it's better off buying a new bus and salvaging parts from that. A driver friend I know also said they'll probably just get another one.

If they really want to cheap out and get a new trailer for the bus...

13 minutes ago, Kelvin3157 said:

Knowing MiWay, I really don't think they'll fix it, it's better off buying a new bus and salvaging parts from that. A driver friend I know also said they'll probably just get another one.

If they really want to cheap out and get a new trailer for the bus...

How much is a Nova Artic again?

5 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

How much is a Nova Artic again?

According to a source, about 800k. Even if it isn't written off, they might just get another one to save the hassle of repairs, like what TTC did with 1517 and 1671. But that is my assumption. If they get a new back for 1796, good for them.

5 hours ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

Isn't that Bus under warranty anyways

Yes it is

12 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

It wont be closed permanently. But it will be closed until whichever damage is fixed.

it was reopened by 3:45 pm tonight. There wasnt much damage, although the wall did have a scorch mark on it. The roadway also looked damaged in the area under the mark, although that may have been there already.

Screenshot_20181015-172750_Photos.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Doppelkupplung said:

Probably a long shot, but I wouldn’t be sure about calling it a write off. The front part seems untouched, so there’s still more than half a bus left. Can anyone comment on the structural integrity of it after all that? I want to say it’s still salvageable because most of the damage seems to be contained to the rear left corner. 

I use 1352 as a precedent, despite the lack of fireworks in that case.

One of MTA's 2011 Nova LFS's caught fire while on the S53 IIRC back in 2012 and that had a MUCH worse fire then this bus. It only came back into service about  a year ago after being MIA for the last 5 years!

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bus is coming 1965 said:

What bus would that be?

MTA 8017 caught fire on April 5, 2012 after it ran over a mattress.  One of the springs punctured the fuel tank, starting the fire.  Bus was assigned to Castleton Depot on Staten Island at the time.  It's now at Queens Village Depot in Queens.

11 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Will 1796 be retired or rebuilt? Perhaps will delay retirement of one of the few remaining 0851s.

Since it is under warranty, it's highly likely that it will come back. They'll probably have to build a new tail section for it since the one that's on it at present is pretty much destroyed.

9 hours ago, Chris W said:

Since it is under warranty, it's highly likely that it will come back. They'll probably have to build a new tail section for it since the one that's on it at present is pretty much destroyed.

You're assuming that the fire is somehow related to a warrantable item - it may not be.

In any case, this was a three-quarters of a million dollar vehicle that has spent far less than a tenth of life cycle in use. It almost certainly will be back.

Dan

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, smallspy said:

You're assuming that the fire is somehow related to a warrantable item - it may not be.

In any case, this was a three-quarters of a million dollar vehicle that has spent far less than a tenth of life cycle in use. It almost certainly will be back.

Dan

It could just be the sign of a recall. It will be back on the road for sure. Bus repair shops work wonders.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Happy Power said:

i am hyped about 100 airport express but sad that the portion of the 21 is cut from cctt-dixie stn and renumbered to 74

• Like 1

MiWay 5 Information Sessions

ei?u=http%3A%2F%2Fpix.upaknee.com%2Fedit
We will be hosting public information sessions about our 2019 service plan from Nov. 24 to Dec. 1. The 2019 service changes are part of the fourth year of the MiWay 5 service plan (2016 to 2020).

If you can’t attend in person and would like to provide your feedback online you can do so through MiVoice – MiWay’s online forum! Sign up today and you’ll be notified when the survey is available.
=============================================================================================================================================================
Lets see some more screw ups and lack of service
  • Thanks 1

On 10/7/2018 at 2:15 PM, Kelvin3157 said:

I mean, technically he is somewhat right, 0336 had retired this week along with 0308 and some fire victims. 

-Not so sure about the Nova situation.

On 10/7/2018 at 7:09 PM, TransitfanJW said:

The only 03s that I can 100% confirm are retired are 0308 and 0336. The others are still "Active" for the time being.

The above posters may want to consider where they're getting their information considering 0336 has been in service the past 2 days, meaning the claims of retirement are inaccurate. https://transit55.ca/mississauga/bus/336

It is important to note that a bus being MIA for a extended period of time doesn't really indicate anything, it could just be waiting it's turn in the body shop or for parts that require a long lead time. For example 0312 hasn't tracked since August 24 yet is on hold for body work. Unless the bus has actually had plates, farebox, etc. removed it cannot be assumed it is retired.

That said, the following 2003 D40LF buses have been retired (plates and other equipment removed):

0308, 0314, 0321, 0333, 0335, 0337, 0343

Expect around 5 more 2003 D40LF buses to be retired this year. Another 10 will retire next year when the 10 hybrid buses are delivered. The remaining 20 or so should hang on until 2020.

• Thanks 5