MiWay

Orion VIII

2 minutes ago, mikenoza said:

Quick question:

How did MiWay get their next stop announcements? Did they use a voice synthesizer or a person? Sounds like a voice synth but my friend told me it was a person

It's a person, and I heard it was a secretary within the municipal government 

12 hours ago, Kelvin3157 said:

It's a person, and I heard it was a secretary within the municipal government 

If anyone hasn't picked up on this already, the MiWay voice sounds similar to the TTC's external speakers controlled from the Luminator (before VISION takes over). Therefore it is unlikely that the TTC would record someone's voice for the external route announcements especially when new interior stop announcements are synthesized.

3 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

Good sir,

I'm finding that you're posting a lot of useless inane drivel in this thread. I assume that given that you are (pretending?) to be a MiWay operator that you have a degree of maturity about you. Based upon that assumption, I would suggest that you take a read of this thread: https://cptdb.ca/topic/11440-posting-etiquette/

I would like to in particular draw your attention to this:
"2. Posts and replies are to be well thought out and intelligent. We will also not tolerate one word posts or posts of inane 'chatter' on the board. Examples: LOL, :unsure:, I saw it too, that's nice, etc."

I feel that the above quoted post quite clearly is in violation of this guideline, and indeed, there''s MANY more posts from you that would fall into this category. 

Personally, I'm hoping the ban hammer is prepared to fall on you, but, in the mean time perhaps you could ratchet your posts back a tad and provide some information that a tad less foamy than "new we wait for the 19xx"?

Thanks.

I for one, applaud your efforts at instilling a sense of standards on the Cptdb.

For too long, many idiotic posts are made blindly following grade school political rhetoric without one single, solitary link to the "topic/statement" that is bandied about like the holy grail ?

I salute you and your bravery at not being silenced by these "nattering nabobs of negativity" ???

• Like 6

In other MiWay news a tender has been posted for the disposal of 22 2008 D60LFR buses. These are the remaining D60LFR buses that were stored at Malton for months and it's finally time to clear them out. The tender is structured so each unit is bid on individually, not a lot of 22 so multiple companies could bid on specific units if they wanted.

For those keeping track, this means all 35 2008 D60LFRs will be accounted for, with 7 currently still in active service out of Malton garage. The first 5 to retire were tendered for disposal a few months ago which was awarded to Beeton Auto and Truck. 0879 was sold to City View after the axle failure last year and with the remaining 22 being tendered for disposal that accounts for all 35.

REQUEST FOR QUOTE FOR DISPOSAL OF TWENTY TWO (22) 60’NEW FLYER LOW FLOOR TRANSIT BUSES

The tender for 10 hybrid buses closes on October 2 for delivery in summer 2019. These buses will be used to test the newest generation of hybrid technology and will replace 10 2003 D40LFs.

As others have noted, the 2018 Nova LFS have begun to arrive. There are 12 in this order (1801-1812) and there were plans to replace 8-10 2003 D40LFs with this order but we will see if that happens due to service requirements. 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, TechnicaProductions said:

Seems someone has managee to get their hands on 9113. I didn't think any of these were still around.

Screenshot_2018-09-21-23-22-39.png

It was there in its previous location for some time. Don’t want to divulge the location, but it was visible off the Milton GO line.

interesting to see it find a new home.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, blue.bird.fan said:

What is the purpose of the "Next Stop" signs at some bus stops?

I've never understood them.

I suppose too that they can be helpful for those people whom are walking along the route and would notice what the next stop for the route or an ajacent route, if that's another purpose they were meant for them to be displayed like that.

3 hours ago, newflyerinvero said:

I suppose too that they can be helpful for those people whom are walking along the route and would notice what the next stop for the route or an ajacent route, if that's another purpose they were meant for them to be displayed like that.

Nope. It was set up for bus drivers to announce the next stop before the AA system was install and deal with the accessibility requirement by the city. Since spare drivers would show up on different routes, they couldn't remember all stops for all of them and this was one way to deal with it. Only good during the daylight. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The tender for the 10 40' hybrids closed today and Nova Bus was the only supplier who submitted a bid, at $8,931,830 or $893,183 per bus.

Route 100 begins service on October 29, between Winston Churchill and Pearson Airport Terminal 1, serving all stations along the Mississauga Transitway from Winston Churchill to Renforth. Service will operate from 4am-7pm on weekdays with 15-16 minute frequency all day. 6 buses are required for the route. 

Route 21 will be cancelled and replaced with a modified route 74 running out of Dixie Station serving the same routing the 21 did east of Dixie. Frequency will be every 15 minutes, rush hour only.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Silly Tilley said:

The tender for the 10 40' hybrids closed today and Nova Bus was the only supplier who submitted a bid, at $8,931,830 or $893,183 per bus.

Great stuff, looking forward to having more buses with horrid Air Conditioning for the summer months!

On a serious note, I hope NovaBus can address their air conditioning air flow issues on these future buses, because it's getting out of hand. The fact that 13-14 year old D40LFs have much better air conditioning than brand new 2018 buses is pretty embarrassing.

• Like 3