MiWay

Orion VIII

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, soo8513 said:

Last reply I received from MiWay was that 12 buses (NOVA 40') will arrive this fall to "stabilize" the fleet. Unless there is a radical change in ridership no additional buses will be required until 2021.

There are currently plans to retire up to 20 of the 2003 D40LF buses by fall 2019. 8-10 of the replacement buses will be from the 40' Nova LFS order as 44 of 49 buses from the order were for replacement purposes, with 36 Eldorados having already been replaced leaving 8 buses left over. The other 10 replacement buses will be the 10 hybrid buses to be delivered next year as they are being purchased by advancing money budgeted for bus replacement in 2020/21 to 2019. 

The 'MiWay Five' service redesign plan and it's constant changes is really impacting MiWay's bus replacement timelines and fleet requirements as a lot of things originally proposed have been modified, cancelled outright or pushed back into 2019-2020.

On 6/26/2018 at 11:11 AM, mikenoza said:

It has been confirmed by a friend who was a student ambassador that we awarded Nova bus the contract for the 10 hybrids!

nice to see 10 more LFS Hybrids!

The 10 hybrid buses have not even gone out to tender yet so no purchases have been made. The tender should be going out within the next week or so and once that process concludes, then we will find out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hello,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask about this but I have a question about MiWay relocating to Kipling from Islington.

Currently I live within walking distance of Islington and when I need to go into the west (even just to Cloverdale Mall) I walk over to the MiWay outside the station and pay only Miway fare. This is obviously very convenient. However, once Miway moves to Kipling, I'll essentially have to pay TTC fare to go over 1 station and then pay full Miway fare, doubling the cost of a trip West. Is there any news that TTC to Miway transfers and vice-versa will have some sort of discount? 

The 1 and 101 Miway make it easier to get to places off Dundas compared to the TTC. I have no idea why TTC and Miway don't have transfers free between certain lines to reduce redundancy bus lines. Same between certain YRT and TTC but that's a different discussion. I know they did a fare relief between TTC and GO, so is there any chance of this?

7 minutes ago, Cookie67 said:

Currently I live within walking distance of Islington and when I need to go into the west (even just to Cloverdale Mall) I walk over to the MiWay outside the station and pay only Miway fare. This is obviously very convenient. However, once Miway moves to Kipling, I'll essentially have to pay TTC fare to go over 1 station and then pay full Miway fare, doubling the cost of a trip West. Is there any news that TTC to Miway transfers and vice-versa will have some sort of discount?

I'm surprised that MiWay lets you off within the Toronto city limits. As far as I know, only the TTC and GO Transit are allowed to take passengers point-to-point in Toronto. Obviously, as far as The West Mall, you can make the trip on one TTC fare, at the inconvenience of taking the subway and transferring to a 111/112/191/192 at Kipling station.

Miway's move to Kipling station is some time in the future. For all we know, the structure of subway operations and fares will all be different--what with Doug Ford musing about uploading and Metrolinx trying to institute regional, mode-dependent fares.

So, I don't think this is worth worrying about in 2018, nor probably 2019.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ed T. said:

I'm surprised that MiWay lets you off within the Toronto city limits. As far as I know, only the TTC and GO Transit are allowed to take passengers point-to-point in Toronto. Obviously, as far as The West Mall, you can make the trip on one TTC fare, at the inconvenience of taking the subway and transferring to a 111/112/191/192 at Kipling station.

Miway's move to Kipling station is some time in the future. For all we know, the structure of subway operations and fares will all be different--what with Doug Ford musing about uploading and Metrolinx trying to institute regional, mode-dependent fares.

So, I don't think this is worth worrying about in 2018, nor probably 2019.

Yes, from what I know Kipling opening has been pushed back to spring 2020 meaning more likely end of 2020

As you said, to The West Mall via TTC is minimum twice the time and much more inconvenient AND more walking than taking Miway. They will let me off at Cloverdale but won't pick up, you have to pop over to technical Mississauga. I also use the 1 to get to Starsky's every now and then. It's very close but not worth double the fare, same with hitting the Dixie Walmart which I personally find to be far superior in cleanliness and availability of products compared to the Etobicoke one, and more convenient currently.

Oh well maybe by 2020 I'll have a car or will have moved...

• Like 1

On 8/22/2018 at 1:03 PM, Cookie67 said:

Currently I live within walking distance of Islington and when I need to go into the west (even just to Cloverdale Mall) I walk over to the MiWay outside the station and pay only Miway fare.

Confirming what Ed T said, if you are boarding and paying Miway fare outside Islington Subway, you are not allowed to exit at Cloverdale.  The first stop where you can exit is the first stop inside Mississauga, after the Etobicoke Creek, the stop by Mr lube.  You've been lucky to get off but you should know that the driver is not supposed to drop you off within Toronto if you boarded in Toronto on a westbound trip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TransferCutter said:

Confirming what Ed T said, if you are boarding and paying Miway fare outside Islington Subway, you are not allowed to exit at Cloverdale.  The first stop where you can exit is the first stop inside Mississauga, after the Etobicoke Creek, the stop by Mr lube.  You've been lucky to get off but you should know that the driver is not supposed to drop you off within Toronto if you boarded in Toronto on a westbound trip.

I see, this reminds me of Brampton transit about airport route. From airport at airport rd is for pick up only while going to airport is drop off only just in airport. Mississauga going to Toronto after entering Toronto is drop off only while going to Mississauga from Toronto is pick up only but only in Toronto area. The driver had to follow the rules or if the passenger get on at Islington and get off at cloverdale, the driver would be in trouble for doing that.

On 8/24/2018 at 9:36 PM, Happy Power said:

0603, 0613, 0627, 0638 May be Retired according to Transit55. They Say no INFO. But I not SURE their not at Central when i Drove 1775 today. asked a Malton Driver and they said they were not there.  

0627 is confirmed retired. The others are probably just sidelined and will return to service later.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Happy Power said:

I Know about that one it was already scrapped but i will try to get enough info for everybody here and the Wiki needs to Be edited.

Considering that you are new here you better wait a few months until you get used to this forum. Admins and other members who have been here longer don't really trust newer members about the wiki info you give them.

I'm new here too. I have already argued about a bus that is retired and I even showed a photo to prove it. But he still didn't believe me. He will only trust his friend employees. But considering that you are a transit employee yourself you might have a good chance of becoming an editor if you keep using proper grammar and spelling.

Good Luck!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, STO_1601 said:

Considering that you are new here you better wait a few months until you get used to this forum. Admins and other members who have been here longer don't really trust newer members about the wiki info you give them.

I'm new here too. I have already argued about a bus that is retired and I even showed a photo to prove it. But he still didn't believe me. He will only trust his friend employees. But considering that you are a transit employee yourself you might have a good chance of becoming an editor if you keep using proper grammar and spelling.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the help. I will try my best!