MiWay

Orion VIII

On 4/9/2018 at 11:07 AM, viva_blue_ said:

The drivers are often selfish, rude, and inconsiderate(leaving people behind at the last minute, constantly late) at the expense of the passengers. Maybe its time to start thinking about the passengers.

After sitting in the Miway drivers seat for 30 years, I will reserve commenting and replying.  I can see that other respected members are taking care of you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

So with the introduction of the 104 Dery Express let's take a look at what the Derry corridor will look like come April 30th.

In terms of frequency:

The 42 goes down to 11 minutes (from 9.5') in the AM peak and down to 12 minutes (from 10') in the PM peak, off-peak times remain unchanged.

The 104 operates every 16 minutes in the AM peak and every 17 minutes in the PM peak.

First and last trip times for the 104 are:

WB from Westwood: 5:55a-9:53a and 2:35p-7:09p

EB from MTC: 5:25a-9:50a and 2:22p-6:28p

In terms of scheduled run time the schedules are a mess for the 104.

If we look at WB trips and use Westwood, Dixie, Hurontario and MTC as our time points we get (travel time in parenthesis):

42/104 at 6AM: 5:54a/5:55a -> 6:09a/6:10a (15/15) -> 6:19a/6:21a (10/11) -> 6:46a/6:49a (27/28) Totals: 52 minutes/54 minutes

42/104 at 7AM: 7:13a/7:10a -> 7:32a/7:28a (19/18) -> 7:44a/7:41a (12/13) ->8:14a/8:11a (30/30) Totals: 61 minutes/61 minutes

42/104 at 3PM: 3:01p/3:05p -> 3:22p/3:23p (21/18) -> 3:36p/3:37p (14/14) -> 4:06p/4:07p (30/30) Totals: 65 minutes/62 minutes

42/104 at 4:30PM: 4:32p/4:26p -> 4:55p/4:47p (23/21) -> 5:11p/5:02p (16/15) -> 5:43p/5:34p (32/32) Totals: 71 minutes/68 minutes

At 6AM the 104 is scheduled to take the same time to Dixie, 1 minute longer to Hurontario and 1 minute longer to Meadowvale. 52 minutes for 42 Vs 54 minutes for the 104.

At 7AM the 104 is scheduled to take 1 minute less to Dixie Road, 1 minute longer to Hurontario and the same time to Meadowvale. 61 minutes for both routes.

At 3PM the 104 is scheduled to take 3 minutes less to Dixie Road and the same time from Dixie to Meadowvale. 65 minutes for the 42 Vs 62 minutes for the 104.

At 4:30PM the 104 is scheduled to take 2 minutes less to Dixie Road, 1 minute less to Hurontario and the same time to Meadowvale. 71 minutes for the 42 Vs 68 minutes for the 104.

If we look at EB trips and use MTC, Hurontario, Dixie and Westwood as our time points we get (travel time in parenthesis):

42/104 at 6AM: 6:09a/6:10a -> 6:41a/6:38a (32/28) -> 6:49a/6:48a (8/10) -> 7:05a/7:02a (16/14) Totals: 56 minutes/52 minutes

42/104 at 7AM: 7:02a/7:12a -> 7:37a/7:43a (35/31) -> 7:46a/7:53a (9/10) -> 8:04a/8:09a (18/16) Totals: 62 minutes/57 minutes

42/104 at 3PM: 3:14p/3:10p -> 3:46p/3:38p (32/28) -> 3:56p/3:48p (10/10) -> 4:14p/4:02p (18/14) Totals: 60 minutes/52 minutes

42/104 at 4:30PM: 4:36p/4:31p -> 5:11p/5:00p (35/29) -> 5:21p/5:11p (10/11) -> 5:40p/5:26p (19/15) Totals: 64 minutes/55 minutes

At 6AM the 104 is scheduled to take 4 minutes less to Hurontario, 2 minutes longer to Dixie Road and 2 minutes less to Westwood. 56 minutes for the 42 Vs 52 minutes for the 104.

At 7AM the 104 is scheduled to take 4 minutes less to Hurontario, 1 minute longer to Dixie Road and 2 minutes less to Westwood. 62 minutes for the 42 Vs 57 minutes for the 104.

At 3PM the 104 is scheduled to take 4 minutes less to Hurontario, the same time to Dixie Road and 4 minutes less to Westwood. 60 minutes for the 42 Vs 52 minutes for the 104.

At 4:30PM the 104 is scheduled to take 6 minutes less to Hurontario, 1 minute longer to Dixie Road and 4 minutes less to Westwood. 64 minutes for the 42 Vs 55 minutes for the 104. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few MiWay question based on someone's written/pictured description of what they did. I would appreciate any help that lets me understand what actually happened, since the description is unclear.

1. There's a picture of a MiWay transfer. There's a big orange "03" up top--that's the issuing route, right? It's pretty long, with a diagonal cut below 9 PM and 45 minutes. I assume that that means it expires at 9:45 PM?
  2. The trip was stated to be to the Woodbine Centre, with the last leg stated to be the 11 (details below). The starting point may have been in the Mississauga Valley/Cliff Road N. area. The 3 goes by the starting point--good.
  3. The (last?) leg was stated to be on the 11 route from East Mall/Dundas to Rexdale by the Woodbine Centre. Can MiWay riders do this routing? It seems that a lot of the ride was within the city of Toronto. Not sure about the rules for pickup and dropoff.
  4. The trip finished around 7:00-7:15 PM at the stop on Rexdale Blvd. just before Queens Plate Drive. I see a MiWay stop there with "11" so that's good. But I'm not sure how that fits with the time on the 03 transfer that I assume was issued at the start of the trip.

Mostly, it's verifying that the end of the story at Rexdale Blvd. makes sense. (Privacy means I can't go into the details or post pictures.)

12 hours ago, Ed T. said:

I have a few MiWay question based on someone's written/pictured description of what they did. I would appreciate any help that lets me understand what actually happened, since the description is unclear.

1. There's a picture of a MiWay transfer. There's a big orange "03" up top--that's the issuing route, right? It's pretty long, with a diagonal cut below 9 PM and 45 minutes. I assume that that means it expires at 9:45 PM?
  2. The trip was stated to be to the Woodbine Centre, with the last leg stated to be the 11 (details below). The starting point may have been in the Mississauga Valley/Cliff Road N. area. The 3 goes by the starting point--good.
  3. The (last?) leg was stated to be on the 11 route from East Mall/Dundas to Rexdale by the Woodbine Centre. Can MiWay riders do this routing? It seems that a lot of the ride was within the city of Toronto. Not sure about the rules for pickup and dropoff.
  4. The trip finished around 7:00-7:15 PM at the stop on Rexdale Blvd. just before Queens Plate Drive. I see a MiWay stop there with "11" so that's good. But I'm not sure how that fits with the time on the 03 transfer that I assume was issued at the start of the trip.

Mostly, it's verifying that the end of the story at Rexdale Blvd. makes sense. (Privacy means I can't go into the details or post pictures.)

MiWay uses time based transfers that are system wide and not route specific. They expire two hours after the start time of the route they are issued from. The number you speak of is the week of the year. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MT0603 said:

MiWay uses time based transfers that are system wide and not route specific. They expire two hours after the start time of the route they are issued from. The number you speak of is the week of the year. 

Ah, yes of course. If you don't have TTC-style transfer rules you don't need route info. Either it's still valid by time, or not.

Anyway, I think I figured out what happened at the end of the trip, which is really just the part I needed to understand.

• Like 1

So I rode 1775 and 1781 today, has anyone here noticed how slow they are to get going from a standstill? Once they get moving they're fine, but that initial climb to 5-7km/h is something. 

On 5/2/2018 at 10:23 AM, INowKnowwhY said:

I can possibly find out. I heard they're looking to hire 100 new drivers this year.

Hey thxx buddy...Usually they start hiring in april but not happen this time.

MiWay will be purchasing an additional 10 hybrid buses this year for delivery in 2019. It is very likely they will be BAE hybrids and will feature electric accessories and stop/start features. This system has the potential to be converted to a fully electric setup in the future, with MiWay having challenges in incorporating both types of electric buses (long range and short range charging) this is seen as a 'bridge' and the opportunity to evaluate further.

If the evaluation is positive, future orders could consists of more hybrid buses.

The buses will replace 10 of the 2003 D40LFs. With another 10 or so D40LFs expected to be retired by the end of the year there will be around 20 03s retired within the next year.

The full report is available from next week's General Committee agenda: https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/general/2018/2018_05_16_GC_Agenda.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Silly Tilley said:

MiWay will be purchasing an additional 10 hybrid buses this year for delivery in 2019. It is very likely they will be BAE hybrids and will feature electric accessories and stop/start features. This system has the potential to be converted to a fully electric setup in the future, with MiWay having challenges in incorporating both types of electric buses (long range and short range charging) this is seen as a 'bridge' and the opportunity to evaluate further.

If the evaluation is positive, future orders could consists of more hybrid buses.

The buses will replace 10 of the 2003 D40LFs. With another 10 or so D40LFs expected to be retired by the end of the year there will be around 20 03s retired within the next year.

The full report is available from next week's General Committee agenda: https://www7.mississauga.ca/documents/committees/general/2018/2018_05_16_GC_Agenda.pdf

Sounds like they are meeting right in the middle. Thanks for the info!

• Like 1

Good question here. I was having a chat with a friend of mine and we were talking about the original Transit Way under the Square One Terminal building. He had heard rumours about the elevator goes into the basement where apparently there are some platforms already built or partially built underneath the bus terminal. Can anyone confirm this?

8 hours ago, TTC 9701 said:

Good question here. I was having a chat with a friend of mine and we were talking about the original Transit Way under the Square One Terminal building. He had heard rumours about the elevator goes into the basement where apparently there are some platforms already built or partially built underneath the bus terminal. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes there is a lower level for the plan BRT tunnel and platform when the terminal was built, with people using it to get to/from the mall today.

Mississauga (miWay) Transit 1799 NovaBus LFS Artic Local Bus Westbound On Dundas St Route 1W In Toronto Mississauga (miWay) Transit 1799 NovaBus LFS Artic Local Bus Westbound On Dundas St Route 1W In Toronto

• Like 2

Celebrating the Power of Public Works

May 15, 2018

Join us for National Public Works Week at Family Fun Day on May 26
We can often take our roads, traffic and street lights for granted. For one day each year you have the chance to learn what it takes to keep City services operating smoothly. On May 26, come to Mississauga Celebration Square to celebrate National Public Works Week – Family Fun Day.

Members of the Road Safety Committee will be onsite to kick off their Please Slow Down campaign. Drop by, get your free lawn sign and support safe driving in your neighbourhood.

Family Fun Day  

Where:  
Mississauga Celebration Square 
300 City Centre Dr.
[MAP]

When:  Saturday, May 26, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.

Details:   
• Get up close and personal with a snow plow or front end loader
• Ramp up your creative juices at the ArtWorkX exhibit that merges art with infrastructure
• Gear up in public works safety wear, have your photo taken and tweet it out with hashtag #NPWW
• Hop on a MiWay bus and take a guided tour of the Mississauga Transitway or have a look at how we monitor the city’s traffic network
• Road Safety Committee – Please Slow Down campaign launch at 1 p.m.
• Be amazed by a Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services rescue at 1:30 p.m.
• Savour a barbecued burger to support Engineers Without Borders
• Enjoy a free bag of popcorn
• Kids can bounce in a castle and play soccer, baseball or basketball in a sports dome

School Tours
In addition to Family Fun Day, local schools will visit and learn more about public works with tours of the Mavis Works Yard on May 24.

Leave your car at home and take MiWay to Family Fun Day at Mississauga Celebration Square by visiting Trip Planner.

For more information visit mississauga.ca/roads.