MiWay

Orion VIII

3 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Since we are all enjoying the -23 weather here, I thought I'd bring something up. Is it a policy of MiWay's to pick up at every stop in extreme weather conditions? I've seen it both in messy snowstorms and in cold weather. I assume other agencies also have this policy? 

i remembered i read somewhere that ttc "express" buses pick up from every stop alobg the route because it wont save much time anyway

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, transitfan100 said:

i remembered i read somewhere that ttc "express" buses pick up from every stop alobg the route because it wont save much time anyway

I don't think that happens. Although, there are, in some cases, sections of "express" or "rocket" routes where buses run local (call at every stop without skipping any in between). The 199C does this, though as the local section is at the opposite end of the city from MiWay's service area I will not go more into it here.

3 hours ago, transitfan100 said:

2 hours ago, Transit geek said:

I don't think that happens. Although, there are, in some cases, sections of "express" or "rocket" routes where buses run local (call at every stop without skipping any in between). The 199C does this, though as the local section is at the opposite end of the city from MiWay's service area I will not go more into it here.

On the really bad snowstorm days, where traffic is basically crawling, it does happen where the TTC "cancels" express service and buses on express branches or Rocket routes may stop in between their normal stops. The extra stops do not make much of a difference because the traffic is moving so slowly anyway, the buses don't end up saving any time by not opening the doors while they're stuck waiting at a stop.

1 minute ago, Kelvin3157 said:

A dead, scrapped bus driving on a highway?

This guy is @8860/ @354 Lawrence East etc etc. don't bother with him.

In other news!

Saw this today at UTM. Thought it was worth posting. Of course not everything applies to MiWay, but something did catch my eye, which I've circled in red:

image.thumb.png.d00f2caa4ef1fe56fe8f9e22d7fe8041.png

I thought it brought up a good point, because the Erin Mills Station, while having its benefits, can add up to 5 minutes up to the schedule. Now I'm not saying get rid of it, but they really should consider improving the traffic light signalling in that area, because the buses have to wait to take a left (they can't just go when they see a gap) and they also have to wait to take a right. And it's also worth mentioning that those Erin Mills lights are long. 

Thoughts? I'm thinking they could add some sort of priority signalling for buses in that area, since its not only the 110 that uses EM station. Far from it, in fact. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

This guy is @8860/ @354 Lawrence East etc etc. don't bother with him.

In other news!

Saw this today at UTM. Thought it was worth posting. Of course not everything applies to MiWay, but something did catch my eye, which I've circled in red:

image.thumb.png.d00f2caa4ef1fe56fe8f9e22d7fe8041.png

I thought it brought up a good point, because the Erin Mills Station, while having its benefits, can add up to 5 minutes up to the schedule. Now I'm not saying get rid of it, but they really should consider improving the traffic light signalling in that area, because the buses have to wait to take a left (they can't just go when they see a gap) and they also have to wait to take a right. And it's also worth mentioning that those Erin Mills lights are long. 

Thoughts? I'm thinking they could add some sort of priority signalling for buses in that area, since its not only the 110 that uses EM station. Far from it, in fact. 

I'll be honest, when the 48 first started going into Erin Mills Station, I hated it because usually the bus would sit there for a good 5 minutes sometimes. Not to mention the lights and when you missed the advanced left or right signal you would have to wait a while for the next one before the bus could go.

1 hour ago, JazzyJay729 said:

I'll be honest, when the 48 first started going into Erin Mills Station, I hated it because usually the bus would sit there for a good 5 minutes sometimes. Not to mention the lights and when you missed the advanced left or right signal you would have to wait a while for the next one before the bus could go.

Exactly. Say you're a 110N coming out of South Common heading to EM station. You miss the light before the 403. Not only do you have to wait for the 403 traffic light to turn red (which takes at least a good 45 seconds), but also for the advance left for the buses coming out of EM station trying to get onto the 403. That's a good minute and 5-10s there. Then you have to wait to turn left at the actual station entrance, and again when you are trying to leave to turn right, you have to wait for your right turn signal. Aaand again to get onto the 403. The EM station's access for buses is in serious need of improvement. 

There a report going to General Committee on Jan 17 calling for a new Transit Hub where the Playdium Amusement Centre is currently located, as while the LRT, Transitway, transit and the Milton Line. 

I have being calling for a new hub for 15 years in a new location to handle both MT, BT and GO service as well 150,000 riders a day. Current terminal was built for 25,000 and expanded to 50,000, not including GO service.

Starts on page 5

Starts page 104

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, drum118 said:
There a report going to General Committee on Jan 17 calling for a new Transit Hub where the Playdium Amusement Centre is currently located, as while the LRT, Transitway, transit and the Milton Line. 

I have being calling for a new hub for 15 years in a new location to handle both MT, BT and GO service as well 150,000 riders a day. Current terminal was built for 25,000 and expanded to 50,000, not including GO service.

Starts on page 5

Starts page 104

I guess that makes you a prophet now.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 1/10/2018 at 10:43 PM, JazzyJay729 said:

I've thought this about GO service too, especially eastbound buses towards City Centre. Sometimes in rush hour, I would miss both of the cycles and end up sitting at both lights for ten minutes. I'm sure modifying the cycles would help, but I think the real flaw was not properly integrating it with the 403 and Erin Mills respectively. I always look to Ottawa in how they prioritized their Transitway with bus only access to the actual station, reducing the time waiting at lights.

In all honesty (and from a MiWay perspective), the 110 and the 48 have it the worst. The 109 comes straight off of the 403, or EMP, which ever direction its in. Its not like they have to wait for 4 sets of lights, in which cases if you get the wrong cycle, then you're going to end up waiting for some time. I've spoken to some drivers, and they aren't crazy about it. 

Any ideas on the efficiency front?

On another note, I'm curious as to why MT didn't order the wider rear door option on the Xcelsiors earlier? They really help with exit flow, and allow more standing room as well. Also adds to the airiness of the bus. Disappointed that we don't have this feature on the Novas, like the TTC. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

On another note, I'm curious as to why MT didn't order the wider rear door option on the Xcelsiors earlier? They really help with exit flow, and allow more standing room as well. Also adds to the airiness of the bus. Disappointed that we don't have this feature on the Novas, like the TTC. 

i remembered going by the central garage before getting groceries at btrust nearby and looks like the lfs artic have the standard rear door

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, transitfan100 said:

looks like the lfs artic have the standard rear door

Which, again is really disappointing and surprising. We've been receiving artic units with the wide rear door option for 20 years now. It really does help with the exit flow, and to the space inside the bus. But, I guess that's what Nova spec'd, and I guess MT was happy with that, so....

• Thanks 2

On 1/12/2018 at 10:43 PM, Transit_Hub said:

Agreed, I dislike the small space in the rear door area. It sucks most on the VIVA LFSA and LFX's since everyone is pushing each other on exit. It's a real big pain in the ass for rush hour commutes.

Yeah I could definitely see that, especially on BRT routes. Its funny, because that's what the rear doors are for, busy, rapid high pax routes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1