MiWay

Orion VIII

3 minutes ago, TTC 9701 said:

Of course its allowed! But XD70's? Must be major over crowding there! :P

Sorry. I meant XD40.But don't VINs usually look something like this?

2NVYL82J3H3750546

^^That's a TTC nova VIN

@FlyerLFR @TTC 9701

Every road vehicle produced since ~1981 has a Vehicle Identification Number (commonly referred to as VIN) that is 17 characters long. Every bus produced since ~1981 has one - no matter which manufacturer or plant it comes from. Check the link for more information on exactly what the VIN is and what the different numbers/letters stand for - that page explains it better than I could here.

In terms of why some buses are listed with only 8 characters instead of the standard 17, those 8 characters are the last 8 characters in the VIN. While the first 10 characters are typically fixed by the specifications of a bus (manufacturer, model, length, powertrain, etc.), the last 8 are assigned by the manufacturer to identify a specific unit. The 10th digit is for the model year (H is for 1987 and 2017), the 11th typically indicates the plant, and the rest are sequential numbers. These last 8 digits are usually enough to identify a vehicle's specific place in the production order.

The full VIN may not have been available to whomever posted the data if they were working off some sort of production list, and yes the full 17 characters would be preferred if available, but having only the last 8 digits on the Wiki is fine to note the place of a bus in the production order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, transitfan100 said:

i just rode on this and the "stop request" sign is now "next stop" sign

20171227_184744.jpg

While the Trapeze keeps scrolling the "stop requested" message on the sign above as it always does, not showing the name of the next stop until the bus approaches it. Combine this behaviour with Nova's ambiguous sign (which I recall from DRT's older Novas), and it will not be hard to see the stark level of passenger-unfriendliness. Just what does "next stop" mean when you can't see the name of the next stop? I would complain if I was a regular MiWay rider.

Contrast this to the other GTA agencies. The TTC and YRT do not show stop request messages on their LED signs. BT, DRT, and GO Transit all do, but "stop requested" alternates with the next stop name and other passenger info. And as for the fixed sign, TTC, YRT, and DRT's latest Novas all say "stop requested" but only DRT duplicates it on the LED. Of all the above, YRT does it the best: "next stop" appears where it is supposed to be, on the LED sign, prefacing the actual name of the next stop.

maxresdefault.jpg

21 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Just what does "next stop" mean when you can't see the name of the next stop?

It means the bus will pull into the next scheduled bus stop for that route. Exactly the same as if someone pulled the bell before the days of announcements. What is so hard about this and why are you blowing this out of proportion? 

My experience with the Trapeze system? Edmonton and Saskatoon, on a daily basis. Works fine. 

I know your sig says to take your posts with a grain of salt, but damn! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Transit_Hub said:

I rode 1738 today, has the nice new smell and the driver was happy to drive it. I noticed other drivers looking at the bus also haha. I caught most of the LFS'es that were out and going to City Center.  Photo of 1731 pulling into City Center is attached.

39342956661_40040b8026_o.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I always thought it was the outer headlights that are lit? Aren’t the inner ones for quad projection setups the high beams? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bus_Medic said:

That’s a pretty important electrical compartment... auto announcement computer and camera DVR are in there, among other things... air tanks are opposite on the curb side. I haven’t actually set foot on a 40’er yet to see where they moved that gear to. Any pics would be appreciated.

Probably isn’t of much help, but you get a few good shots of the ceiling here:

• Like 1

Likely because they are equipped w/ Voiths, not Allisons. Voiths have a certain whine that Allisons do not. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Apparently some of the new Novas have been released to drivers without training in certain cases. I guess the requirement/shortage was very severe so they had no choice. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MiWay0310 said:

Likely because they are equipped w/ Voiths, not Allisons. Voiths have a certain whine that Allisons do not. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Apparently some of the new Novas have been released to drivers without training in certain cases. I guess the requirement/shortage was very severe so they had no choice. 

It is a voith transmission, sounds the same as yrt novas

21 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

It means the bus will pull into the next scheduled bus stop for that route. Exactly the same as if someone pulled the bell before the days of announcements. What is so hard about this and why are you blowing this out of proportion? 

My experience with the Trapeze system? Edmonton and Saskatoon, on a daily basis. Works fine. 

I know your sig says to take your posts with a grain of salt, but damn! 

Exactly the same as if someone pulled the bell before the days of announcements?

Well that was 7 years ago. We cannot keep our expectations the same as if nothing has changed. What you said is the same as saying that if the bus didn't stop for you, then you walk, just like the days before public transit.

MT's habit of scrolling "STOP REQUESTED" on the LED until the next stop is pretty annoying. The "Stop Requested" signs that COME WITH THE BUS are there for a reason. This is especially annoying, if someone pulls this on the 109N/110S right after it comes out of square one, as it basically makes the LED useless until Erin Mills Stn. Not helpful for those who want to see the time.

While I have not personally been on this series, this issue does sound pretty annoying and I hope that Trapeze will be able to fix this later either with a software update, or MT will change the system on future orders. (Hopefully not to the BT automatic stop announcement, because the BT voice is really disturbing).

Also it is pretty stupid of MT to of changed out the "STOP REQUESTED" sign with the "NEXT STOP" sign. Combine that with the other stupid choices they made on the novas, they really do seem to be going backwards in the design department.

Also, 1778, 1779, and 1794 have arrived. (Courtesy of @Abubakkar)

5 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

This is especially annoying, if someone pulls this on the 109N/110S right after it comes out of square one, as it basically makes the LED useless until Erin Mills Stn. Not helpful for those who want to see the time.

Get a watch?

5 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

Also it is pretty stupid of MT to of changed out the "STOP REQUESTED" sign with the "NEXT STOP" sign. Combine that with the other stupid choices they made on the novas, they really do seem to be going backwards in the design department.

I wouldn't call it stupid. Like @M. Parsons said, it means the bus will stop at the next scheduled stop, in red. That can only mean one thing, so not much of a difference. Its been working in countless other cities, so why wouldn't it work here? 

And what "other stupid choices" did they make on the Novas? 

7 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

I wouldn't call it stupid. Like @M. Parsons said, it means the bus will stop at the next scheduled stop, in red. That can only mean one thing, so not much of a difference. Its been working in countless other cities, so why wouldn't it work here? 

The "Next stop" sign will work, but its not very user friendly. It also may be confusing to some people that don't take transit often. It's not as clear as just a STOP REQUESTED sign

7 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Get a watch?

I'm not going to get a stupid watch just to ride the bus. That LED sign is there for the CONVENIENCE (a concept that you don't really understand) of the customers, which is really isn't helping when you turn a rider information screen into another stop request sign. May I point out the bus already comes with those?

My point is not that it makes the bus unridable, but its just a poor design choice.

1 hour ago, FlyerLFR said:

The "Next stop" sign will work, but its not very user friendly. It also may be confusing to some people that don't take transit often. It's not as clear as just a STOP REQUESTED sign

I'm sorry, but any sign that lights up inside a bus at the front, or on the ceiling in any colour will be interpreted as a stop request sign. What else can a sign like that possibly mean? Especially as it is RED, it will only mean one thing. I don't see what's so hard about this concept for you. 

I'm in Turkey right now, and I don't take the bus every day. I'm also not in Turkey every other week. When I see the sign "Duracak" light up in red, I know it can only mean one thing, and its not "the bus won't be stopping at the next stop". I don't speak Turkish by the way. Same for "Nacht Halltestelle", "Hou Op", "Alto", "Prochaine Arrete".

Its a bloody stop sign. Get over it. 

I'm not going to get a stupid watch just to ride the bus. That LED sign is there for the CONVENIENCE (a concept that you don't really understand) of the customers, which is really isn't helping when you turn a rider information screen into another stop request sign. May I point out the bus already comes with those?

My point is not that it makes the bus unridable, but its just a poor design choice.

Write to MiWay about it then.

Otherwise, if you don't have a watch, then pull out your phone. If you didn't bring either, I don't know how you plan on having any concept of time while taking the bus. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Write to MiWay about it then.

Better still, talk to the company who is responsible for causing this "fiasco". Trapeze's website says that its office is in Mississauga, and the funny thing is that there is a MiWay bus stop right outside of it on a route with the new Novas (according to the images)! Why not just catch a ride there and then personally share your experience with the people who know PIS's best.

4 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

I'm in Turkey right now, and I don't take the bus every day. I'm also not in Turkey every other week. When I see the sign "Duracak" light up in red, I know it can only mean one thing, and its not "the bus won't be stopping at the next stop". I don't speak Turkish by the way. Same for "Nacht Halltestelle", "Hou Op", "Alto", "Prochaine Arrete".

And by the way, STM buses show "Arrêt Demandé" which is exactly what it should say. I remember some French signs say "Demande D'Arrêt" but the meaning is just about the same. (The image below also shows an LED sign which, although it is not showing the next stop, is actually showing something useful instead of redundant.)

Image result for STM IBUS

31 minutes ago, Transit geek said:

Better still, talk to the company who is responsible for causing this "fiasco". Trapeze's website says that its office is in Mississauga, and the funny thing is that there is a MiWay bus stop right outside of it on a route with the new Novas (according to the images)! Why not just catch a ride there and then personally share your experience with the people who know PIS's best.

Tbh, I don't see why they can't just buy from another company. Just because they are in Mississauga doesn't mean MT head to buy from them. Last time MT had a bad experience from a Mississauga company, MT had the courage to say screw it and didn't buy from that company for the next 9 years. We've done it once, we can do it again. 

1 minute ago, PCC Guy said:

How do you know that their experience with Trapeze was negative? Just because you don't care for the system doesn't mean management has to feel the same way.

I guess you're right. MT has had these small thing that bother me for a long time now. At least we don't have the BT automated stop announcement. 

Tbh, I don't see why they can't just buy from another company. Just because they are in Mississauga doesn't mean MT head to buy from them. Last time MT had a bad experience from a Mississauga company, MT had the courage to say screw it and didn't buy from that company for the next 9 years. We've done it once, we can do it again. 

That's not at all how any of it works. No preference is given to 'local' companies and Orion didn't recieve any orders between the 01s and 10s because they were simply out bid by their competitors. 

• Like 1