MiWay

Orion VIII

I should note, there has been 2 dates that MT was to start service to Renforth to the point there will be no date set until the station is 100% complete and turn over to Metrolinx. Only then a new date will surface.

Based on what I have being saying most of the year for this station, look for a 2018 opening date on the safe side.

Given the track record for all the sections of the Transitway opening to date, add 3 months plus to that plan schedule since that been the norm so far.

25 minutes ago, Kit Kat said:

Omg kiddies can we all grow up?    

I had a perfectly good piece on the effects of purchasing electric buses, but some people wanted it to snowball into this....

Just now, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

I agree, let's just forget about what happened here, and move on.

Let's do that!

17 hours ago, drum118 said:

What a show.

NOVA driver orientation starts next week with 1730 the only bus on site. 2kvQbETIEBMSo1ZBWWAAF3MdH5AAAAARIAEADG8H

The Joint Health and Safety Committee has just completed the due diligence around bringing a new type of bus into service.  Serial deliveries start this week.  First artic expected in December.  Do not expect revenue service much before the end of the year.

MT has joined the CUTRIC program which will give them access to the electric bus trials.  They do not plan to copy any of this work.  Our Hybrid’s are at half-life and MT are looking at battery replacement,  electric motor bearings and engine work. The life cycle cost of ownership has not been favourable which is why they have not added to this small fleet. Very surprised when they bought them considering all the problem with the first batch off the line in 2000's.

So the new Novas might begin revenue service next week?

11 minutes ago, ONQCBusFan said:

So the novas might begin revenue service next week?

Just training?

18 hours ago, drum118 said:

NOVA driver orientation starts next week with 1730 the only bus on site

The Joint Health and Safety Committee has just completed the due diligence around bringing a new type of bus into service.  Serial deliveries start this week.  First artic expected in December.  Do not expect revenue service much before the end of the year.

MT has joined the CUTRIC program which will give them access to the electric bus trials.  They do not plan to copy any of this work.  Our Hybrid’s are at half-life and MT are looking at battery replacement,  electric motor bearings and engine work. The life cycle cost of ownership has not been favourable which is why they have not added to this small fleet. Very surprised when they bought them considering all the problem with the first batch off the line in 2000's.

No and yes. 

19 hours ago, drum118 said:

What a show.

NOVA driver orientation starts next week with 1730 the only bus on site. 2kvQbETIEBMSo1ZBWWAAF3MdH5AAAAARIAEADG8H

Yeah, I guess because Novas are new to Mississauga and they will take time to get used to drivers. especially the one piece windshield (MiWay has never had a bus like that before).

23 minutes ago, lip said:

If drivers thought the hated the Xcelsiors, just wait until they try out the Novas. The experience wont be pleasant at all.

The big, single pane windshield is a plus that many drivers are looking forward to. Also, the wider entry is another plus. People with presto or passes won't have to wait for cash passengers to enter their $3.50 one nickel at a time. However, I think the lower driving position will take some getting used to. Why will it not be pleasant at all?

The Xcelsiors have improved since 2011 for sure, considering they've had 7 years to do just that.  The main thing drivers hated about the Xcelsiors was that they were so low and top heavy. 

8 hours ago, ONQCBusFan said:

So the new Novas might begin revenue service next week?

Do you know how to Read??

If there is only one bus on site, how do you expect it be in service when drivers have to be train on it first???

What does this say??

Do not expect revenue service much before the end of the year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

On 10/25/2017 at 7:27 PM, drum118 said:

Do you know how to Read??

If there is only one bus on site, how do you expect it be in service when drivers have to be train on it first???

What does this say??

Do not expect revenue service much before the end of the year.

Yes I can read I'm not stupid! I just didn't see that part until it was in larger print. I was already quoted on that already. 

Now, Please stop bothering me!

6 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

The big, single pane windshield is a plus that many drivers are looking forward to. Also, the wider entry is another plus. People with presto or passes won't have to wait for cash passengers to enter their $3.50 one nickel at a time. However, I think the lower driving position will take some getting used to. Why will it not be pleasant at all?

The Xcelsiors have improved since 2011 for sure, considering they've had 7 years to do just that.  The main thing drivers hated about the Xcelsiors was that they were so low and top heavy. 

From what i've experienced from being seated in the compartment, and from what i've heard from many others here are just a few issues:

-The mirror placement is horrendous.  It is very difficult to see passengers inside the bus, let alone if they are exiting via the rear doors

-There is a real lack of leg room for tall drivers in the drivers compartment as the panel is too low

-The dashboard makes it seem as though one is reading the hieroglyphics with all the symbols and as a result, drivers are essentially forced to look at a chart to see what the problem is with a bus

-The suspension makes for a really rough ride. Multiply whatever bumps you felt on the D40LFR and XD40 by 2

-The front door and operator seat is misaligned. While that's good for passengers, operators will have neck issues since it is difficult so make direct eye contact with a passenger

And I havent even got to what it's like from a passenger perspective. As i've said quite a number of times elsewhere, the bus is just awkwardly designed from head to toe.

31 minutes ago, lip said:

From what i've experienced from being seated in the compartment, and from what i've heard from many others here are just a few issues:

-The mirror placement is horrendous.  It is very difficult to see passengers inside the bus, let alone if they are exiting via the rear doors

-There is a real lack of leg room for tall drivers in the drivers compartment as the panel is too low

-The dashboard makes it seem as though one is reading the hieroglyphics with all the symbols and as a result, drivers are essentially forced to look at a chart to see what the problem is with a bus

-The suspension makes for a really rough ride. Multiply whatever bumps you felt on the D40LFR and XD40 by 2

-The front door and operator seat is misaligned. While that's good for passengers, operators will have neck issues since it is difficult so make direct eye contact with a passenger

And I havent even got to what it's like from a passenger perspective. As i've said quite a number of times elsewhere, the bus is just awkwardly designed from head to toe.

Interesting...I knew that there were some niggles, but I didn't know it was this bad. 

The one thing I hate about our Voith-equipped XD40s (this is more of a tranny thing) is that horrible grinding sound they make after each gear change. I've never noticed it on 11s but 13, 14 and even some 17s I've noticed have it. 

And then also what I mentioned earlier about top heaviness and how low the bus is. I've seen a couple times where the ramp is lower than the curb and the driver has had to move up for it. Also the massive AC unit on the roof makes turns...interesting so to speak. 

35 minutes ago, lip said:

Since this only the pilot bus, does this mean that the other LFS/LFS artics will not have this issue?

10 hours ago, eclair14 said:

Pics of 1741 at the Paint Shop (and don't ask for more ... it's the only one i have)

MiWay 1741 - Novabus LFS

Let the foaming begin? Nice pic, thank you for posting it.

10 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

Since this only the pilot bus, does this mean that the other LFS/LFS artics will not have this issue?

Edit: Got tangled up with other posts, apologies...

1 hour ago, FlyerLFR said:

The issues that I listed are a NovaBus LFS wide issue, it isnt limited to any municipality or specific type of NovaBus.

31 minutes ago, lip said:

The issues that I listed are a NovaBus LFS wide issue, it isnt limited to any municipality or specific type of NovaBus.

You talk to the various drivers as well management of various systems, you get both pro and con for the LFS with con having a higher rating that has a long list.

There are a lot of drivers who refused to drive the LFS if they is another manufacture bus in the fleet to the point they will only sign up for non LFS routes or hope not getting stuck with one.

Can't remember the first system I rode an LFS, but like the rear window and duel seat. I haven't found much different how they ride, but need to check that out. The one thing I like is the front entrance as its wider than other buses, but they comply to the new ADA requirement for wider wheelchairs and scooter in the US..

All buses have their pro and cons as well drivers liking X bus over Y bus.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, drum118 said:

You talk to the various drivers as well management of various systems, you get both pro and con for the LFS with con having a higher rating that has a long list.

There are a lot of drivers who refused to drive the LFS if they is another manufacture bus in the fleet to the point they will only sign up for non LFS routes or hope not getting stuck with one.

Can't remember the first system I rode an LFS, but like the rear window and duel seat. I haven't found much different how they ride, but need to check that out. The one thing I like is the front entrance as its wider than other buses, but they comply to the new ADA requirement for wider wheelchairs and scooter in the US..

All buses have their pro and cons as well drivers liking X bus over Y bus.

The wide entrance is a big pro. It’ll be the first time we’ve had a low floor bus with a wide entrance.

11 hours ago, lip said:

I spoke with a Mississauga Transit driver this summer after he asked why I was taking pictures.  We got chatting about different bus types and he mentioned that he was concerned about the new LFS's after hearing about neck issues from TTC drivers due to the operator's seat placement.  

18 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

The wide entrance is a big pro. It’ll be the first time we’ve had a low floor bus with a wide entrance.

Not to the drivers, it's not. There have been tons of reports of "Nova Neck" at other properties that have had them for years.

Dan