MiWay

Orion VIII

All side seats? that seems really counter-intuitive because it just decreases seating capacity. IMO they should get the rear seats to all face forwards on the Orion VII local. I sat in the back of one a while ago and I was stunned by the amount of room they had without those 2 stupid sideways seats.

35 minutes ago, FlyerLFR said:

All side seats? that seems really counter-intuitive because it just decreases seating capacity. IMO they should get the rear seats to all face forwards on the Orion VII local. I sat in the back of one a while ago and I was stunned by the amount of room they had without those 2 stupid sideways seats.

Counter-intuitive? The whole purpose of the side seats is so it makes more standing room in the back for people stand up there. How many seats did we lose by making them side facing? Not many... but how many more people can stand in the upper area?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

3 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

Counter-intuitive? The whole purpose of the side seats is so it makes more standing room in the back for people stand up there. How many seats did we lose by making them side facing? Not many... but how many more people can stand in the upper area?

True enough.  In the 1970s, New York City ordered its buses with all side-facing seats, which greatly increased the standing capacity while still offering seating for 45 passengers: http://gmbus.com/6000.htm

On 10/4/2017 at 6:26 PM, noahrp24 said:

The sad truth is that people don't like to move to the raised section of the bus.

4 hours ago, FlyerLFR said:

The sad truth is that people don't like to move to the raised section of the bus.

True that! Every single time I go on an OC bus, people will always stay at the front, at all costs. They either take the priority seats just because they can, or they stand up at the very front of the bus, and don't move back. Also, they never seem to stand up, even for elderly people or strollers! They just care about themselves. They think that if they get any seat, even a priority one, that's "their" seat and will not stand up. When they DO move back, they go right beside the rear door, so that it's difficult to get off.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:38 PM, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

True that! Every single time I go on an OC bus, people will always stay at the front, at all costs. They either take the priority seats just because they can, or they stand up at the very front of the bus, and don't move back. Also, they never seem to stand up, even for elderly people or strollers! They just care about themselves. They think that if they get any seat, even a priority one, that's "their" seat and will not stand up. When they DO move back, they go right beside the rear door, so that it's difficult to get off.

I think part of the reason is that there isn't much extra legroom at the back. However, if they make all the seats front-facing, (ie. Orion VII HEV) it can actually give more space to each row and make them surprisingly spacious, which might be a cause for someone to sit there. (Unless you're talking about the EZR. those are cramped no matter what)

Just now, FlyerLFR said:

I think part of the reason is that there isn't much extra legroom at the back. However, if they make all the seats front-facing, (ie. Orion VII HEV) it can actually give more space to each row and make them surprisingly spacious, which might be a cause for someone to sit there. (Unless you're talking about the EZR. those are cramped no matter what)

They do it on any bus no matter what, eg. D60LF/R, Orion VII Hybrid NG, Invero, sometimes even double deckers, btw.

1 minute ago, OCTranspo/STO Fan said:

They do it on any bus no matter what, eg. D60LF/R, Orion VII Hybrid NG, Invero, sometimes even double deckers, btw.

What do they do on any bus? Sorry, I'm a little confused.

IMO those sideways facing seats are the EZR of seat layouts. The only sideways facing seats should be the accessible/foldable ones and 4ONE Pearch seats on the middle of an artic

On 10/6/2017 at 9:59 AM, FlyerLFR said:

What do they do on any bus? Sorry, I'm a little confused.

IMO those sideways facing seats are the EZR of seat layouts. The only sideways facing seats should be the accessible/foldable ones and 4ONE Pearch seats on the middle of an artic

Standing at the front, blocking the rear door, sitting in the priority seating, etc.

6 hours ago, soo8513 said:

Did I miss this? At last board did 39 weekday get split Malton with Central - keep seeing Malton buses on 39 - today 0501 & 0640

Somewhat, Malton now has two base blocks (all day) on the 39.

1057 Was parked on Havenwood, south of Bloor and east of Dixie this morning at 11 AM.   Townhouse fire east of Havenwood and south of Bloor.  , Police Activity,  no injuries.  Bus likely there to keep people warm since 2 AM.    http://www.cp24.com/news/police-investigating-after-three-alarm-fire-at-mississauga-townhouse-complex-1.3623494

Edited by Tramguy
New Information available

4 minutes ago, Tramguy said:

1057 Was parked on Havenwood, south of Bloor and east of Dixie this morning at 11 AM.   Wonder why it was parked there?  There was police activity and CP24 cameras a block or so east.  Any correlation?

According to CP24, there was a townhouse fire with 10 units involved. I would guess that it is a shelter bus for the residents.

23 hours ago, noahrp24 said:

Mariella has been discontinued. The Novas will come with Gemini seats with the same seat insert design as all local buses have.

No wonder why they don't have it on there website anymore when I checked last year.

Does anyone know why there has been an increase of 60 footers on the 35? I've noticed quite a few 08s recently, seeing a good 3 to 4 units within a span of 10 minutes one time. Or is this due to bus shortage?

I was looking through the past 10-20 pages or so about this issue and someone nearly sparked it but we didn't get ahead on it. Any ideas?

Also, I don't remember if this was discussed or not, although if it was, it would be going back a good 6-7 years: Why was 1020 produced with 12XX specs? (i.e. Voith and rear door strips). 

Also, a bit late to the party for this last bit, but in case anyone didn't notice, the new 17 XDs have wide rear doors which is a first for MiWay 40's.  

8 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

Does anyone know why there has been an increase of 60 footers on the 35? I've noticed quite a few 08s recently, seeing a good 3 to 4 units within a span of 10 minutes one time. Or is this due to bus shortage?

I was looking through the past 10-20 pages or so about this issue and someone nearly sparked it but we didn't get ahead on it. Any ideas?

Also, I don't remember if this was discussed or not, although if it was, it would be going back a good 6-7 years: Why was 1020 produced with 12XX specs? (i.e. Voith and rear door strips). 

Also, a bit late to the party for this last bit, but in case anyone didn't notice, the new 17 XDs have wide rear doors which is a first for MiWay 40's.  

For the 60 footers on the 35, I've noticed an increase in ridership during weekdays since I've been seeing the artics quite full during rush hour. It would probably be high demand from customers.

For 1020, it could have been budget reasons, or equipment shortage at the Orion factory, leading them to use 12XX specs. Or maybe they wanted to test out new specs on a bus.

17 hours ago, MiWay0310 said:

From my understanding of why 1020 had Voith, is because MiWay usually gets Voith, but since Voith couldn't deliver in time, they were only able to build one unit with those specs. and the rest was forced to use ZP. (They likely would of gotten all Voith if it was not for Voith not being able to make on time.)

10 hours ago, mikenoza said:

For the 60 footers on the 35, I've noticed an increase in ridership during weekdays since I've been seeing the artics quite full during rush hour. It would probably be high demand from customers.

Then I guess it's a good thing that they will cut off the 35 at Renforth in the near future. Hopefully, that will kill the ridership of the 35 enough to free up the artics for use on other routes.