Orion VIII

and we also had...

1018 on 1E short

1215 on 1

1406 on 20

1404 on 10

1305 on 1E Short

1203 on 7

I've never seen this much express buses on local routes..

Thats a fair number of expresses on locals! Are the air lines on the buses that bad?

If miway wants to replace the 03xx in 2018. Have they decided to get new flyer or novabus?

Probably NF. Novabus is unlikely. Plus the majority of the fleet is NF and drivers have been used to it since the 90s (With the exception of 30 footers and the Orions). I'm not against Novas, I ride the in MTL from time to time, but since we've been with NF for so long, why stop now?

and we also had...

1018 on 1E short

1215 on 1

1406 on 20

1404 on 10

1305 on 1E Short

1203 on 7

I've never seen this much express buses on local routes..

Would MiWay ever consider giving some more formalization of the Saturday-only 1 Short by giving it its own branch letter? Which I guess would be the 1B.

Also, any updates on what's going on with Islington? I noticed last week from the GO train that there appears to be a structure in the works where the old Legion Hall used to be. That's the supposed site of a temporary terminal while they rebuild the current one.

Meanwhile, I don't think it got posted here, but here's the revised plan for the Kipling Mobility Hub. MiWay is allocated 10 bays while GO Transit gets 4 bays. My one concern with the image on Page 16 is the bus bay immediately at the entrance to the terminal. It would take some tricky maneuvering to get into that bay without doing a full loop around. Leaving would run into more a problem and would definitely require going around the terminal to get out.

Would MiWay ever consider giving some more formalization of the Saturday-only 1 Short by giving it its own branch letter? Which I guess would be the 1B.

Also, any updates on what's going on with Islington? I noticed last week from the GO train that there appears to be a structure in the works where the old Legion Hall used to be. That's the supposed site of a temporary terminal while they rebuild the current one.

Meanwhile, I don't think it got posted here, but here's the revised plan for the Kipling Mobility Hub. MiWay is allocated 10 bays while GO Transit gets 4 bays. My one concern with the image on Page 16 is the bus bay immediately at the entrance to the terminal. It would take some tricky maneuvering to get into that bay without doing a full loop around. Leaving would run into more a problem and would definitely require going around the terminal to get out.

They should give it a branch just like 19C on Saturdays. I'm not sure if 1B used to be a branch or not.

They should give it a branch just like 19C on Saturdays. I'm not sure if 1B used to be a branch or not.

Back in the 90s, the 1B is a rush hour branch from Islington Stn to Westdale Mall. It loops like the 6 loops. I think it operated till 2002 or something like that. At the same time they renamed the 1A branch into the current 1 branch.

When routes had separate branches, they named it like 1A/1B/1C and 26A/26B. Similar to what the TTC is doing today. Mississauga Transit never had many routes with branches. Over the years, some routes gain branches, so lost them.

MiWay doesn't seem to like assigning branch numbers to routes that don't actually branch off at all from the main route.

As for the Legion Hall property, the TTC had gone to Metrolinx in the spring to ask for guidance in regards to the Islington bus terminal. They provided two options: structural shoring of the existing terminal at a cost of 10 million dollars and a 4 year service life; or construction of a temporary terminal in part of the Islington Main lot and the Legion Hall grounds at a cost of over 20 millions all while assuming costs related to occupying the parking lot from the TTC. TTC buses would be left only with the outside bays at Islington which sits on solid ground.

Metrolinx decided to go down the route of structural slab shoring and gave the City of Toronto permission to sell off the whole porperty.

With that being said, the City of Toronto always had a commitment to Tridel Developments to allow for a sales center to be built on the south strip of the Legion Hall grounds.

Anyone know why the 4 SHERWAY was displaying "Detour on Route" this morning heading eastbound? There wasn't a scheduled detour posted today. Or was it a matter of the driver accidentally entering the code?

I'm pretty sure it was accidentally entering the code. Since there are so many codes that drivers can put in, sometimes they may have forgotten or mixed up the codes and you end up with the wrong info. One time a driver on route 1 probably intended to put in "Sorry, Bus full". The code is 0025 but accidentally put in 0026 which is "Services All Stops". I made me confused for a second, but obviously the 1 services every stop.

Yesterday (Saturday), 1043 was on the route 3. First time I have ever seen a hybrid out on the weekend.

Hybrids are restricted (per se) to weekday service as they are out of the CX garage, which is closed on weekends, so I'm not sure how 1043 snuck out yesterday.

Anyone know why the 4 SHERWAY was displaying "Detour on Route" this morning heading eastbound? There wasn't a scheduled detour posted today. Or was it a matter of the driver accidentally entering the code?

I'm pretty sure it was accidentally entering the code. Since there are so many codes that drivers can put in, sometimes they may have forgotten or mixed up the codes and you end up with the wrong info. One time a driver on route 1 probably intended to put in "Sorry, Bus full". The code is 0025 but accidentally put in 0026 which is "Services All Stops". I made me confused for a second, but obviously the 1 services every stop.

Given the weather conditions yesterday it is possible that there was a detour for a period of time. Not every detour is posted to the website as sometimes they are only in effect for a short period of time (such as a collision). Most things that cause a detour are random in nature and thus not "scheduled".

Probably NF. Novabus is unlikely. Plus the majority of the fleet is NF and drivers have been used to it since the 90s (With the exception of 30 footers and the Orions). I'm not against Novas, I ride the in MTL from time to time, but since we've been with NF for so long, why stop now?

Plus they never had GM 1982 40ft T6H-5307N's and GM/MCI/Novabus classic's before.

I was on 1004 today and (this has happened before, all occasions involving MiExpress Orion 10s or 12s) there was this really irritating beeping sound at the back of the bus, where I normally sit. It was coming from behind the back seats, inside that closed hatch. Can anyone please tell me what it is? Its so irritating!

As a sidenote, 1004, the bus I was riding today, had some troubles and went out of service at Queensway and Hurontario. The driver said something was making a scraping sound while she drove. At Queensway, where we all got off, I was looking under the bus, and at the rear, there was this really large piece mangled plastic. Don't know what it was.

I was on 1004 today and (this has happened before, all occasions involving MiExpress Orion 10s or 12s) there was this really irritating beeping sound at the back of the bus, where I normally sit. It was coming from behind the back seats, inside that closed hatch. Can anyone please tell me what it is? Its so irritating!

As a sidenote, 1004, the bus I was riding today, had some troubles and went out of service at Queensway and Hurontario. The driver said something was making a scraping sound while she drove. At Queensway, where we all got off, I was looking under the bus, and at the rear, there was this really large piece mangled plastic. Don't know what it was.

Were you on this bus at the end of the school day on the 103? I sometimes go there to take the 103 at the end of the day and sometimes I end up boarding an Orion with that annoying beeping sound. I know some other Orions as well as 1204 that does have that annoying beeping sound at the back.

Were you on this bus at the end of the school day on the 103? I sometimes go there to take the 103 at the end of the day and sometimes I end up boarding an Orion with that annoying beeping sound. I know some other Orions as well as 1204 that does have that annoying beeping sound at the back.

Precisely. 1012 and 1006 had it, but they stopped it somehow. Its only the express 10s and 12s too, not the hybrids. I've noticed the volume is significantly lower on some buses than others. I don't know how people stand it at the back!

Not sure if it was an unscheduled detour, a charter or just a lost bus but I spotted a MiLocal bus on Durie Rd. (Bristol & Credit River area) by the church early this afternoon. It's a small residential street and the bus was trying to maneuver around all of the parked cars. I only saw the driver's side, so I couldn't tell what it was doing there.

The only detour I could think of was for the 38A CREDITVIEW as there are other options available if the 10 BRISTOL has to divert around Bristol and Creditview.

MiWay has (inadvertently?) released the PanAm Shuttle Route Maps on their Maps page (I noticed when the icon had changed and started digging around). They're at the bottom of the list of Local Routes boxed off with the caveat that "PanAm/ParapanAm Shuttles - Schedules currently being developed".

95 - Pan Am Port Credit

96 - Pan Am Kipling Station

97 - Parapan Am Port Credit

98 - Parapan Am Kipling Station

It looks like there will be two sets of routes, one from Port Credit GO and the other from Kipling GO/Subway to the Hershey Centre for the Pan Ams and Parapan Ams. The maps indicate that there are designated "stops" called Pick-up and Drop-off Locations which give me the impression that these will more likely be express routes. The 95 and 97 only have the City Centre Terminal and Central Parkway Station designated as an intermediate stops. The 96 will have 2 intermediate stops along Eglinton to access the venues at Centennial Park, while the 98 will not as Centennial Park is not a Parapan Am venue and appears to run directly to the Hershey Centre along the same routing as the 96.

The Pan Am routes will run daily from July 11-26, while the Parapan Am routes will run daily from August 8-15.

I wonder if they went with individual route names and number for the same route to distinguish between the Pan Ams and Parapan Ams? If these routes are accessible to the general public (as long as you board at one of the designated "stops") I wonder if they'd prove popular enough to keep, probably modifying the Hershey Centre as the terminus point. How about City Centre Terminal? Milton has already quietly started running a route from the Milton GO station to the Velodrome.

previous.gif

So Milton Transit and MiWay have announced their Pan Am Shuttles. Any idea if DRT, HSR, St. Catharines Transit or Welland Transit have announced their shuttle plans? GO Train service to St. Catharines wouldn't run into the problem of crossing the Welland Canal, why wasn't that service considered seeing as they're building the James St. North station in Hamilton?

Odds & ends: Mar 4: 1020 had an alarm going off and on the entire trip from Subway to Meadowvale - was louder at front. For those of us on the back seats we toasted with heat from the motor.

In response to my query for improved service in the northwest MiWay planners responded indicated that soon 42 Derry will go to 10' headways at rush hours and 20' mid-day.

It is nice that the 42 Derry is being looked at. I would suggest many routes around MTC need to be looked at.

Any word about looking at feeder routes into the Transitway Stations? If we are to use the Transitway as the main east-west then routes should feed from the stations.