MiWay

Orion VIII

previous.gif

Does the fact that the MiWay News pamphlet is dated for the next scheduled Service Change mean that there won't be any changes this month? I guess they're saving all of the big changes for the next board period. If the TTC were to go back to it's regional design Ride Guide, I wonder how it would be depicted. Perhaps one reason why they switched designs and narrowed the coverage focus to just Toronto.

In other news, I saw 0830 being towed south on Mavis onto Queensway last night. Anyone know what's wrong with it?

previous.gif

Does the fact that the MiWay News pamphlet is dated for the next scheduled Service Change mean that there won't be any changes this month? I guess they're saving all of the big changes for the next board period. If the TTC were to go back to it's regional design Ride Guide, I wonder how it would be depicted. Perhaps one reason why they switched designs and narrowed the coverage focus to just Toronto.

In other news, I saw 0830 being towed south on Mavis onto Queensway last night. Anyone know what's wrong with it?

That's correct, no changes in the upcoming period. The November period is the biggest obviously with the transitway opening and the 107, 109 receiving expanded service hours on weekdays and the introduction of Saturday and Sunday services.

Apparently there are service changes for October but they decided to not put it into their "Miway News". Their website does have some changes

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/servicechanges

But has anyone noticed the mistake for Central Parkway station? It has Tomken shown there.

As for 0830 it might be for offsite maintenance. My friend and I as well with other passengers were kicked off at Dixie mall this morning and they made us board another bus. That one was taken out of service but nothing was wrong with it.

Apparently there are service changes for October but they decided to not put it into their "Miway News". Their website does have some changes

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/servicechanges

But has anyone noticed the mistake for Central Parkway station? It has Tomken shown there.

As for 0830 it might be for offsite maintenance. My friend and I as well with other passengers were kicked off at Dixie mall this morning and they made us board another bus. That one was taken out of service but nothing was wrong with it.

Those are the changes that occurred on September 1, so I'm not sure what you're reading. Once again, there are no service changes for the October board period.

Yes, people here have noticed the mistake, but is it a pressing issue or even one worth discussing? Not in the slightest and the vast majority of average riders will not notice this mistake.

As for 0830, it just left Square One on the 10. They don't just pull buses off routes so they can be sent for off site maintenance. As for nothing being wrong with it, you don't know that. There could have been a warning light on the dash that wouldn't turn off and the driver could have just silenced the alarm.

Yes, people here have noticed the mistake, but is it a pressing issue or even one worth discussing? Not in the slightest and the vast majority of average riders will not notice this mistake.

As for 0830, it just left Square One on the 10. They don't just pull buses off routes so they can be sent for off site maintenance. As for nothing being wrong with it, you don't know that. There could have been a warning light on the dash that wouldn't turn off and the driver could have just silenced the alarm.

0830 was being towed yesterday and you say it was on the 10 today. I was talking about yesterday.

0830 was being towed yesterday and you say it was on the 10 today. I was talking about yesterday.

Yes and you said you think it was sent off for offsite maintenance, if that were the case the bus would not be back in service today.

Contracted shops that the city use are busy and are not full fledged 24/7 operations such as MiWay's own maintenance. Usually buses will spend a couple of days at a contracted shop before they get sent back to their respective property.

The city doesn't just send buses anywhere for maintenance, MiWay staff look at the buses first before deciding the appropriate action.

Yes and you said you think it was sent off for offsite maintenance, if that were the case the bus would not be back in service today.

Contracted shops that the city use are busy and are not full fledged 24/7 operations such as MiWay's own maintenance. Usually buses will spend a couple of days at a contracted shop before they get sent back to their respective property.

The city doesn't just send buses anywhere for maintenance, MiWay staff look at the buses first before deciding the appropriate action.

Then I guess it's not offsite maintenance then. I take that back

Silly Tilley: Perhaps we're dealing with semantics that Noahrp24 mentioned. When you say there is no October board and the changes he mentioned were dated September 1, 2014. Correct, but the MiWay site shows next service changes dated October 13, 2014. So what do you mean by no October board?

Silly Tilley: Perhaps we're dealing with semantics that Noahrp24 mentioned. When you say there is no October board and the changes he mentioned were dated September 1, 2014. Correct, but the MiWay site shows next service changes dated October 13, 2014. So what do you mean by no October board?

That is what I meant.

What he means are there are no service changes for the October 13th board period, this is already verified.

They could probably have been a little clearer about there being no Service Changes for October. Changes are usually expected every 6-8 weeks and that is the start date of the next board period. Force of habit to automatically state that the next Service Change would be October 13. Do they have the same drivers continue the next board period or is it a regular open sign-up? November would be pushing 10 weeks.

They could probably have been a little clearer about there being no Service Changes for October. Changes are usually expected every 6-8 weeks and that is the start date of the next board period. Force of habit to automatically state that the next Service Change would be October 13. Do they have the same drivers continue the next board period or is it a regular open sign-up? November would be pushing 10 weeks.

My usual driver told me there is a driver change on the 13th. They already chose their next routes. Some drivers try to keep their current routes and sometimes they get to keep it unless someone else chose it before they get to chose. I was told by drivers that older drivers get to chose their routes for the next board period first.

My usual driver told me there is a driver change on the 13th. They already chose their next routes. Some drivers try to keep their current routes and sometimes they get to keep it unless someone else chose it before they get to chose. I was told by drivers that older drivers get to chose their routes for the next board period first.

It has to do with how long you've been with the company, nothing to do with age. It's called seniority and they pick in order of when they started. As for board periods, drivers pick their crews 2-3 weeks in advance of the start of a new board period, regardless of whether or not there are any service changes. As per the collective agreement, board periods are not to exceed 8 weeks.

I don't know about any Canadian transit systems like this, but some large American cities only have a few board periods ('picks' as they call them) a year, meaning only a few oppurtinities a year to make service changes.

It has to do with how long you've been with the company, nothing to do with age. It's called seniority and they pick in order of when they started. As for board periods, drivers pick their crews 2-3 weeks in advance of the start of a new board period, regardless of whether or not there are any service changes. As per the collective agreement, board periods are not to exceed 8 weeks.

I don't know about any Canadian transit systems like this, but some large American cities only have a few board periods ('picks' as they call them) a year, meaning only a few oppurtinities a year to make service changes.

I meant to say how long they have been with the agency. My bad

The System Maps incorporating the Service Changes for November are available. Nothing else incorporating/detailing the changes is available just yet.

Weekday

Express

Saturday

Sunday/Holiday

Based on the maps the 109 and 107 get all-day and Saturday service (with the 107 only running to Westwood -- perhaps they should seriously consider naming that 107A and use that during the summer months when Humber's closed), still no Sunday/Holiday service on any express route aside from the 110.

All of the maps that don't have the street network underlain (all except the Weekday) show the detour around Tahoe. I've always thought that if it's a long-term detour, they might as well show it on the map, especially the Weekday map which is the most prominently featured one of the set.

The orange dots that used to indicate the stops on the express routes are still missing on all of the maps while the stops are still indicated on the Express map. If it's the local stops at the Meadowvale end of the 108, then perhaps they can just put a note at the first and last stops that it makes all stops in between. Otherwise they can use a smaller version of the dot (possibly without the white centre) without naming the stop.

I'm undecided about the symbol they've used for the Transitway stations. The blue symbol from the link to the Transitway page with the two arrows circling a bus doesn't quite convey station. The symbol could also convey a transit terminal of some sort as it implies a bus-to-bus transfer of some sort. Each station on the Weekday map also has a route box with all of the routes serving it as well as whether or not there is parking available.

I'll let you guys peruse and come to your own conclusions!

Spending Millions to build the BRT. Then not run anything on Sunday?

They should at least have the 107 (B or is it different enough to get it's own number?) run as far as Pearson on Sunday and go right into Pearson rather than stopping at the Viscount LINK station. How many tourists/visitors know about that connection without being told? It would definitely be a nicer and quicker way of reaching City Centre than using the 7 AIRPORT route. Perhaps extending the hours of service as well? I don't know if having Pearson as a spur of a route running down to Islington would be worth looking into. On weekdays with a GO co-fare that'd definitely give the Union-Pearson Express a run for its money.

Will the 100 TRANSITWAY route wait until the whole route is completed then? I'm less than pleased with the connecting service between Kipling and Skymark in order to catch the 87. Despite the advertised/scheduled "no more than 10 minutes" between buses (35, 35A or 109) to make the connection, I've sometimes waited more than 15 minutes as the buses tend to leave Islington in packs which, when they reach Skymark wind up playing leapfrog with the 87 along Eglinton. I'm hoping the schedules are improved with the Transitway opening.

The lack of stations immediately west of City Centre means that the mid-northwest area of Mississauga isn't served by express routes other than the 70 and 87 and only then at rush hour. Mayoral candidate Steven Mahoney's proposal for a rail corridor of some sort running along the 401 from Meadowvale to essentially Skymark calls for a single stop at Hurontario to connect with the planned LRT. It's a small step in addressing the issue but neglects the needs of those residents. A stop at Mavis and/or Creditview would, but I don't know how they can shoehorn a rail/LRT line into the 401 when work has already begun on widening it with no provisions for such a feature. Plus despite their convenience as a corridor, they're not exactly the most conducive location for things like walk-up ridership, which is what the Transitway will face, but will be countered with bus service to the Erin Mills and Winston Churchill stations and to a lesser extent at the Central Parkway station.

They should at least have the 107 (B or is it different enough to get it's own number?) run as far as Pearson on Sunday and go right into Pearson rather than stopping at the Viscount LINK station. How many tourists/visitors know about that connection without being told? It would definitely be a nicer and quicker way of reaching City Centre than using the 7 AIRPORT route. Perhaps extending the hours of service as well? I don't know if having Pearson as a spur of a route running down to Islington would be worth looking into. On weekdays with a GO co-fare that'd definitely give the Union-Pearson Express a run for its money.

Will the 100 TRANSITWAY route wait until the whole route is completed then? I'm less than pleased with the connecting service between Kipling and Skymark in order to catch the 87. Despite the advertised/scheduled "no more than 10 minutes" between buses (35, 35A or 109) to make the connection, I've sometimes waited more than 15 minutes as the buses tend to leave Islington in packs which, when they reach Skymark wind up playing leapfrog with the 87 along Eglinton. I'm hoping the schedules are improved with the Transitway opening.

The lack of stations immediately west of City Centre means that the mid-northwest area of Mississauga isn't served by express routes other than the 70 and 87 and only then at rush hour. Mayoral candidate Steven Mahoney's proposal for a rail corridor of some sort running along the 401 from Meadowvale to essentially Skymark calls for a single stop at Hurontario to connect with the planned LRT. It's a small step in addressing the issue but neglects the needs of those residents. A stop at Mavis and/or Creditview would, but I don't know how they can shoehorn a rail/LRT line into the 401 when work has already begun on widening it with no provisions for such a feature. Plus despite their convenience as a corridor, they're not exactly the most conducive location for things like walk-up ridership, which is what the Transitway will face, but will be countered with bus service to the Erin Mills and Winston Churchill stations and to a lesser extent at the Central Parkway station.

I agree with you. They should make a 107B and making it end AT Pearson. The 7 just takes way too long to get to Pearson. If any serious delays were to happen it could cause people to miss their flight or something. Like I mean other agencies have express buses to airports.

I agree with you. They should make a 107B and making it end AT Pearson. The 7 just takes way too long to get to Pearson. If any serious delays were to happen it could cause people to miss their flight or something. Like I mean other agencies have express buses to airports.

If the 107B were to follow the Transitway routing on the Sunday run (i.e. at Tahoe use the 109 routing to Skymark) or just stay on Eglinton altogether they could probably make the trip in 30 minutes. Perhaps using Silver Dart like the Blue Night 307 could shave off a few more if it's slightly longer than 30 minutes. That might merit a new number with all of the deviations from the regular 107. Plus it wouldn't serve Malton anymore so Airport or Pearson Express should be the new name. As for the number, 102 is still up for grabs if they don't reinstate it somewhere onto Hurontario. If you want to keep the numbers as close together as possible, I doubt the 11 will need an express version. Plus, 111 would mirror the 110 which heads in the opposite direction from City Centre.

Otherwise, keep the existing routing if it'll be 40 minutes into Pearson and have the buses arrive every 20 minutes. It would avoid having to rename and renumber the route. Plus this would only be a temporary measure until the full Transitway opened to Renforth in a few years.

If the 107B were to follow the Transitway routing on the Sunday run (i.e. at Tahoe use the 109 routing to Skymark) or just stay on Eglinton altogether they could probably make the trip in 30 minutes. Perhaps using Silver Dart like the Blue Night 307 could shave off a few more if it's slightly longer than 30 minutes. That might merit a new number with all of the deviations from the regular 107. Plus it wouldn't serve Malton anymore so Airport or Pearson Express should be the new name. As for the number, 102 is still up for grabs if they don't reinstate it somewhere onto Hurontario. If you want to keep the numbers as close together as possible, I doubt the 11 will need an express version. Plus, 111 would mirror the 110 which heads in the opposite direction from City Centre.

Otherwise, keep the existing routing if it'll be 40 minutes into Pearson and have the buses arrive every 20 minutes. It would avoid having to rename and renumber the route. Plus this would only be a temporary measure until the full Transitway opened to Renforth in a few years.

I suggest maybe 104/105 Airport Express or something? I wished 102 would be back to service Port Credit GO and CCT. Students from port credit and people coming from trains want to get to Square one faster but 19 is the only choice. I've noticed that Port credit students usually empty out by Dundas on the 103 and those going to CCT stay on the 19s. Even in the morning that route could be good use for people getting to Dundas to take the subway (even though 76 exists but its slow) or to the GO Station