MiWay

Orion VIII

I don't know if you guys have experienced it, but I was sitting at the back of 1012 the other day and I heard this loud beeping sound that just kept on going; it wouldn't stop! I have taken that particular bus twice now and i keep on hearing it. Anyone know what it might be? Cause its not on the other buses!

It doesn't prevent fires, it tries to stop firs from spreading and/or reduce damage. Remember the fire on Parliment, I believe it was 7745, and many other TTC buses catch fire, (7308) and they have fire suppression system installed in them.

The 7300's do not have the fire suppression system.

The Accessible Features page explaining the External Bus Announcements has an odd image: a blue MiExpress with the desto reading 6 TO WESTDALE. Will they make an additional announcement for the express and limited stop routes? The express routes have "Express" in the name, so they should be OK, but the limited stop routes like 87 and 201 don't. It'd still be a nice idea to have the following stop announced upon leaving the previous stop like the subway announcements, just as a reminder and heads up for the passengers on board regardless of ability.

MiWay_Image_SingleBus2014.jpg

Why do express buses stop to pickup passengers from non express bus stops? I rode 107 from the airport to square one and it took almost 50 minutes to do that route. Is that normal? He kept stopping to pickup passengers from regular bus stops and dropping people off at non express bus stops. Is that normal? What's the point of an express bus if it takes longer than the regular bus?

Why do express buses stop to pickup passengers from non express bus stops? I rode 107 from the airport to square one and it took almost 50 minutes to do that route. Is that normal? He kept stopping to pickup passengers from regular bus stops and dropping people off at non express bus stops. Is that normal? What's the point of an express bus if it takes longer than the regular bus?

The express bus must've been running a local route. They've been doing that lately because of the cold. I got 1206 on the 19B during the deep freeze.

Not once have I ever been on an express bus where the driver was picking passengers up at local stops or where passengers regularly try and signal to get off at local stops. That's a big no no for drivers to service stops that aren't served by a route. I'm sure someone would have spoken up and said something too if this was indeed occurring.

Given how vague and odd sounding your story is, I'm thinking your time estimate is way off and you are not familiar with the 107's stops.

previous.gif

I've been on more than one trip where the limited stop 87 has stopped after people have flagged it down at a "non-express" stop. The driver will explain that they don't stop there but will sometimes allow them to board if the light's red. Meanwhile you get people who request and try to get off at a local stop. Again, depending on the driver and the light conditions the passenger may or may not get off. I don't think the Night Request Stop service applies to express and limited stop routes.

Again, if the announcements could say the following stop it'd probably cut down on the people exiting. There was one time on the 109 westbound where a woman wanted to get off just west of City Centre. The driver told her that the next stop would be at Credit Valley. She stayed on until then. I'm not sure if she knew what to do to get to her intended stop from there!

previous.gif

I've been on more than one trip where the limited stop 87 has stopped after people have flagged it down at a "non-express" stop. The driver will explain that they don't stop there but will sometimes allow them to board if the light's red. Meanwhile you get people who request and try to get off at a local stop. Again, depending on the driver and the light conditions the passenger may or may not get off. I don't think the Night Request Stop service applies to express and limited stop routes.

Again, if the announcements could say the following stop it'd probably cut down on the people exiting. There was one time on the 109 westbound where a woman wanted to get off just west of City Centre. The driver told her that the next stop would be at Credit Valley. She stayed on until then. I'm not sure if she knew what to do to get to her intended stop from there!

I wouldn't consider the 87 an express route, if anything just a select stop service. It's too bad there's no indication of such on the schedules or route displays.

I wouldn't consider the 87 an express route, if anything just a select stop service. It's too bad there's no indication of such on the schedules or route displays.

What's the difference then between a select/limited stop and express service? All of the (numerous!) stops when it was still an express route remain. You're right in that they removed stops on the individual route map. The stops themselves have a sticker on them saying that the 87 stops there.

I don't think people realize that what I call "lollipop" stops are the stops along express routes as they have yet to appear elsewhere in the system. The newer stops with the routes listed on them is also a bit confusing for some passengers. I was at the Dundas and Aukland stop and a woman was wondering where to wait for the 201. I pointed to the stop and she said it didn't stop there because it wasn't listed. I showed her there were more routes listed on the back of the sign. Perhpas in cases where there are more than 8 routes serving a stop they should designate another one and then have the same list of routes on both sides. Or put a half-sign in to ensure all of the routes are displayed on each side.

Does miway have a policy for express vehicles to stop at local stops in the case of severe weather (ie: extreme cold or severe snow)? I know the TTC allows express buses to stop at local stops only for this reason, but i'm not too familiar with Miway's policy.

Sometimes on the 103 N, the drivers will accidentally stop at Sherobee and they can't merge back in because I think it might look bad (?).

If the stops were announced ahead of time it'd be another reminder for the drivers as well as the passengers as to what the next stop is.