MiWay

Orion VIII

Highest number so far is #1121 delivered. Aparently these units wont see service until October, when the 97XX Orion V buses have their safety expired.

Tsk tsk tsk they wasted money installing Clever Devices Systems in these Orion V buses only to retire em a year later, or am I mistaken?

Does the 68 WINDSOR HILL interline with the 91 HILLCREST (obviously on weekends)? I saw the 68 pull out of City Centre and then re-enter as 91 this morning. It seemed strange that they'd operate that way. You'd think after dropping off your passengers you'd switch your desto before leaving. The looping was justified I think due to the platform positions of the 68 and 91.

Out of curiousity, how were they detouring the 5 DIXIE yesterday morning when they closed it north of the 401 for a police investigation? I'm guessing Matheson-Tomken-Britannia, but that does leave a large gap unserved during rush hour unless they turned off closer to the 401 and used Aerowood/Kamato and Shawson.

Our September 2011, weekday plans will bring frequencies on Route 19 between Britannia and the Lakeshore to five minutes, from the morning peak through the midday and afternoon peak. Those are “mature city” levels of service and clearly show our commitment to deploy resources when and where they are needed, within our financial sustainability standards. These headways are a far cry from the nine minute peaks offered in 2002-2005. In addition, the new express Route 103 will also be in place through most of the day, offering a faster alternative for the longer commutes and effectively providing customers with combined frequencies close to four minutes between buses in the customer’s main area of interest. Intercity commuters will also have the advantage of travelling with Brampton’s Zum Route 502 service from the Sandalwood Parkway area to our City Centre.

On Saturdays, both Brampton’s Route 502 and MiExpress Route 103 will be in service, reinforcing our local Route 19 which will be offering about eight minute frequencies between Britannia and the Lakeshore, opening a new direct alternative for passengers to reach the Mavis/Britannia commercial centre with the Route 19C variant. In early 2002, our Hurontario service was based on 13 minute headways.

Sunday service on Route 19 will be based on 13-1/3 minute frequencies. In early 2002, that frequency was of 30 minutes. We anticipate that, by Spring 2012, frequencies between Britannia and Lakeshore may be improved even farther, if and when we are able to secure the proper resources. After all, the provision of Sunday service is subject to the higher operational costs the customer is certainly aware of.

I'm sure some of you will have a laugh over this...but here's the new Square One stop assignments effective September 6:

26 and 19 with artics on Saturday will be nice to see. 66 on the opposite direction? Are they planning on looping through the terminal?

EDIT: On a side note, they changed the AAs again. This time, they completely omit the word Stop, ie: First Stop South of [...] becomes 1st South of [...]

I'm really surprised the 26 eastbound has to enter the terminal. Really, it (and 76) and Zum 502 should switch places. Otherwise it's not terrible.

What's been grinding my gears is the new MT transfer policy. They're putting the screws to their passholders who will no longer be able to make a free transfer to Brampton and Oakville. This is really dumb for the Zum 502 which replaces the 102 and 19 north of the 407 parking lot, you would think that either BT and MT would have a fare agreement similar to the current Zum/Viva arrangement, or make alternate arrangements. Brampton states specifically that it continue to offer transfers upon request to its passholders to transfer to YRT or MT.

http://www.mississauga.ca/portal/miway/transfers

Unless I'm missing something.

To ensure that customer connections on the local services are convenient, planning staff from Mississauga and Brampton are coordinating route schedules and operational procedures.

Here's a sample of how this "coordination" has worked out (weekday evenings, when the express routes are no longer running).

hurontarioservicecoordi.png

hurontarioservicecoordi.png

(A separate row means there is less than 3 or more than 10 minutes to transfer.)

#0882 on Route 26E was the first bus to use the new Roundabout. It can be seen in the video

Not sure when the buses were officially taken off detour, but some buses used this Roundabout well others did the detour.

6070894582_c96af06b48_b.jpg

6070903450_7fb53dfcfb_b.jpg

With the pending opening of the new accessible entrance at Kipling would it be feasible to start running buses to that entrance? Similar to how the express buses used to serve Kipling along Subway Cres.? I know at the Public Meeting they held at City Hall a few months back it was brought up, but the lack of a place for buses to stop was cited. Granted it's not the most convenient place for a lot of buses to use, but it'd make getting to an accessible entrance a lot easier/convenient at least until the new regional terminal gets built. Where does that project stand in terms of completion or even beginning?

With the pending opening of the new accessible entrance at Kipling would it be feasible to start running buses to that entrance? Similar to how the express buses used to serve Kipling along Subway Cres.? I know at the Public Meeting they held at City Hall a few months back it was brought up, but the lack of a place for buses to stop was cited. Granted it's not the most convenient place for a lot of buses to use, but it'd make getting to an accessible entrance a lot easier/convenient at least until the new regional terminal gets built. Where does that project stand in terms of completion or even beginning?

That new entrance at Kipling is under the Kipling overpass and there is no stops there going east. There are stops going west.

There is no way for MT buses to get to this new entrance other than going off route going east.

There is an accessibility entrance at the west end and only a block away from MT routes.

As to the timeline for the new terminal, I going to say 2014, as I don't see the BRT ROW ready until then. I had a looked at the current phase I and it will not be completed until the fall of 2012. Still got to build 5 underpasses and they will take 6-12 months each.

Phase II was supposed to started this summer, but nothing on it at this time. I expect to see it start next year, if then. Considering the City is still short $57 million and with a change in government in Oct, transit funding is drying up. This will mean more cuts to the current plan.

I understand there are a number of issues outstanding for Kipling Regional Terminal, as well feet dragging. No info on what the issues are and very tight lips about them.

That new entrance at Kipling is under the Kipling overpass and there is no stops there going east. There are stops going west.

There is no way for MT buses to get to this new entrance other than going off route going east.

There is an accessibility entrance at the west end and only a block away from MT routes.

As to the timeline for the new terminal, I going to say 2014, as I don't see the BRT ROW ready until then. I had a looked at the current phase I and it will not be completed until the fall of 2012. Still got to build 5 underpasses and they will take 6-12 months each.

Phase II was supposed to started this summer, but nothing on it at this time. I expect to see it start next year, if then. Considering the City is still short $57 million and with a change in government in Oct, transit funding is drying up. This will mean more cuts to the current plan.

I understand there are a number of issues outstanding for Kipling Regional Terminal, as well feet dragging. No info on what the issues are and very tight lips about them.

They could serve the station westbound but it would either mean skipping the Aukland stop or running around in circles in order to serve it as well as Kipling. The alternative would be to have some routes terminate at Kipling. Say the earlier setup with the express routes (at that time the 81, 86 and 89) or at least one accessible route from City Centre. There's still the transfer point at Billingham for those that need to access other routes.

The west entrance by default is the accessible entrance for MT passengers who are transfering to the subway. But it's distance as well as the various grade changes required to access it are my concerns. It's accessible, but in certain conditions (adverse weather for one) it's not necessarily convenient. If some routes were to run down to St. Alban's and serve the east entrance it would make the transfer a lot easier. Granted there isn't a lot of space there since it's essentially an onramp to Six Points.

As for your concerns about the underpasses, there's nothing stopping them from being built all at the same time if they are facing time constraints. If a penalty was imposed on the construction firm for running beyond their deadline I'm sure they'd think of some way to get it done in time. How much of the funding for the project has already been guaranteed? I can't believe that at this point in the construction process they'd still be waiting for funding.

Out of curiousity, knowing Mayor Ford's hatred of streetcar/LRT technology if Metrolinx did decide to run LRT west out of Kipling on Dundas would there be any means of stopping it? Or due to the timing of the project will it essentially get the green light as LRT if Ford is not re-elected or changes his stance by the next term?