MiWay

Orion VIII

There is a bylaw being pass on July 6, banning traffic for the new bus ramp off Hurontario St. Once pass and signs go up, the southbound buses will start using the ramp most liely by the weekend.

Here some shots of MT new Orion bus 1004 at July 1st event. The seating is not as per the Orion VII in service now with single seats gone. Watch thoses steps to the back as they are a little higher than the rest of the fleet. Rear seats are higher with the floor not slope up like they are on the rest of the Orion fleet, but feet stay on the floor for me. Single seat on the rear wheel well as one near the front facing sideway. There are more photos up on my site going from 43054 to 43074. The 4 is missing inside the bus. http://www.flickr.com/photos/drum118/page2/ as well 1

5893141066_d3ab49b56b_b.jpg

5892579209_c5ee2454ed_b.jpg

5892565221_78df0815ce_b.jpg

5892567461_ac2d3c023f_b.jpg

5893144900_10c05f7a01_b.jpg

Re Drum's pics:

Would love to see that kind of arrangement in TTC's first generation 7's. I actually prefer MT's curerent configuration on the orange hybrid 7's that allows maximum legroom and space which seats everyone comfortably. It is weird sitting on that hump but better than TTC's configuration. What is the reasoning why MT changed the seating configuration in this group of 7's?

I don't know what drum118 was trying to say but the seating in the Orion VIIs (MiExpress or MiLocal) has not changed since the buses were delivered.

He's refering to the seating of the older Orion VIIs. Did that really need explanation?

Is this regular practice or a result of the service change earlier in the week? On Friday I spotted a 61A bus heading southbound at the 403 with the following desto:

61A SHORT/to Square One

If it was a short turn isn't there an exposure spliced in that would say "SHORT TURN"?

Is this regular practice or a result of the service change earlier in the week? On Friday I spotted a 61A bus heading southbound at the 403 with the following desto:

61A SHORT/to Square One

If it was a short turn isn't there an exposure spliced in that would say "SHORT TURN"?

That's been the 61A south's designation ever since midday service was introduced on the A branch. Stupid, but nothing new.

In other news, 0151 now has cameras installed.

I have a quick about the Route 58 (I know it's a TTC route and apologies for posting it here). Let's say I happen to board the 58 Malton from the intersection of Airport Rd. and Derry Rds. and happen to terminate my trip at Westwood Mall (and vice-versa) Is that allowed? If my memory serves me right, one of the TTC routes that operate in York Region allow you to do this instance - providing if your trip starts and ends north of Steeles Avenue.

Can you clarify on what I'm talking about?

I have a quick about the Route 58 (I know it's a TTC route and apologies for posting it here). Let's say I happen to board the 58 Malton from the intersection of Airport Rd. and Derry Rds. and happen to terminate my trip at Westwood Mall (and vice-versa) Is that allowed? If my memory serves me right, one of the TTC routes that operate in York Region allow you to do this instance - providing if your trip starts and ends north of Steeles Avenue.

Can you clarify on what I'm talking about?

All TTC buses operating west of the Airport or north of Steeles are acting as a contracted service, and therefore act exactly like a MiWay or YRT bus when doing so.

I think you are thinking of the opposite scenario, when a MiWay or YRT bus crosses into the City of Toronto, where they are allowed to do only drop offs only heading into Toronto, and pick ups only leaving Toronto.

All TTC buses operating west of the Airport or north of Steeles are acting as a contracted service, and therefore act exactly like a MiWay or YRT bus when doing so.

I think you are thinking of the opposite scenario, when a MiWay or YRT bus crosses into the City of Toronto, where they are allowed to do only drop offs only heading into Toronto, and pick ups only leaving Toronto.

The City of Mississauga does not ban public transit from other municipalities from operating within its borders. Only the City of Toronto does that.

Besides, the 58 is actually a Mississauga Transit route operated by the TTC. MT fares are accepted on the 58.

So with the introduction of the 103 come September has me wondering if the 8 expansion Xcelsiors will be of the MiExpress type. Currently 6 buses are used on the 110, 6 on the 101, 6 on the 107, 4 on the 102, 8 on the 109 and 1 on a 101 interline (70 in the AM and 82 in the PM rush). So currently 31 MiExpress buses are used during rush. Assuming they're still planning on extending the 107 out to Humber, that will take at least another bus, bringing the total to 32. Assuming the 110 gets the same frequency during rush hour as it had during the school year, that will require another 4 buses, raising the total to 36 buses. If the 103 is implemented with a 20 minute frequency, you'll need at least 7 buses or in other words, 3 extra buses. That would mean 39 MiExpress buses would be required for rush hour service and with only 42 MiExpress buses, that's a little too close for comfort.

I could be way wrong, but my assumption was, ever since the initial MiLocal/MiExpress 2010 contract that was awarded to Orion, wasn't also included to have the 12 buses delievered from Orion for 2012 for MiExpress?

No it wasn't and it's for 15 buses.

That would mean 39 MiExpress buses would be required for rush hour service and with only 42 MiExpress buses, that's a little too close for comfort.

Speaking of that, during the PM rush, there was a stalled southbound 109 bus turning left from Rathburn to Tomken.

The AAs have changed, I was riding 0541 on route 10. The announcements now omit the wording Next Stop, and only shows the stop's name, as well as on the LED display.

Yeah I noticed that too on some buses yesterday evening. Rode a couple buses this morning that still have the old format. Also something I noticed on the buses with the new format is that the volume seems to be at a set level and doesn't fluctuate like it used to. Could've been the bus though.

We've been complaining about the levels and how passengers have been complaining about not hearing the stops being called out. We've been recommending adjusting the levels a bit higher. Maybe they've preset it and turned off the variable system. Now let's see if they have listened about keeping the street name showing longer or flashing it a couple of times or even dropping the stop requested. I know I personally asked why they removed the original stop requested signs. My opinion is they should have left the original signs and mounted the LED sign more in the centre and use both. (But when have they ever listened to drivers?)

We've been complaining about the levels and how passengers have been complaining about not hearing the stops being called out. We've been recommending adjusting the levels a bit higher. Maybe they've preset it and turned off the variable system. Now let's see if they have listened about keeping the street name showing longer or flashing it a couple of times or even dropping the stop requested. I know I personally asked why they removed the original stop requested signs. My opinion is they should have left the original signs and mounted the LED sign more in the centre and use both. (But when have they ever listened to drivers?)

Unfortunately it seems as if the street names aren't on the screen as long anymore (not long in the first place). However, I think it seems as if the stops aren't displayed for as long because of the lack of the "next stop" which would capture your attention. Now because it no longer displays "next stop", by the time you realize the stop is on the screen, it's already gone.

Along with the past Service Changes they've begun changing the destos from "Square One" to "City Centre". So far its just the routes that had name changes and the new 91 HILLCREST. I'm guessing the rest of the routes running out of there will eventually get the same change. I wonder if the management at Square One knows. It's a bit of subliminal advertising for the mall when they all read "to Square One". Though at this point I think it's too late for them to do anything about it.

Not many changes coming in September.

Notable changes include:

The 3 is being improved during the middays to a frequency of every 16 minutes, from every 19.

The 10 and the 45 are being shortened to Meadowvale Town Center, with their northern legs being replaced by a new feeder route to use Eldorados, route 90 Terragar-Copenhagen Loop. Rush hour frequency is every 21 minutes and at all other times including Saturday and Sunday, every 35 minutes.

The 19 is cut at the 407, frequencies remain the exact same for the entire route.

The 19 sees a new branch on Saturdays, the 19C providing service to Heartland town Center via Matheson, Mavis, Rodeo and Britannia Road. With a frequency of every 25 minutes. (Saturday only)

102 and 202 cancelled, replaced by the 103 with a 19 minute frequency all day on weekdays and every 24 minutes on Saturdays.

22 goes back to a 13 minute frequency during rush hours for the school year.

No change to the 110 for the school year, stays the same as it is surprisingly.

No weekend improvements, perhaps those are coming in October.

Not many changes coming in September.

Notable changes include:

The 3 is being improved during the middays to a frequency of every 16 minutes, from every 19.

The 10 and the 45 are being shortened to Meadowvale Town Center, with their northern legs being replaced by a new feeder route to use Eldorados, route 90 Terragar-Copenhagen Loop. Rush hour frequency is every 21 minutes and at all other times including Saturday and Sunday, every 35 minutes.

Will the new loop connect with either Meadowvale GO and/or Lisgar GO? Wesgate and Meadowvale would make obvious connections. Sounds like it could possibly be an extension of the 32 LISGAR. It's nice to see they're finally streamlining the routes in Meadowvale. Now if they could figure out how to revive the old 24 MEADOWVALE LOOP to clean up the northern reaches of the 9 and 10.

The 19 is cut at the 407, frequencies remain the exact same for the entire route.

The 19 sees a new branch on Saturdays, the 19C providing service to Heartland town Center via Matheson, Mavis, Rodeo and Britannia Road. With a frequency of every 25 minutes. (Saturday only)

19C?! Really?! Is there that much demand from the Hurontario corridor that a Saturday only branch running into Heartland is needed? Couldn't they say extend the 68 WINDSOR HILL up to Heartland on a daily basis to make it a little more useful? Otherwise adjust the 61 MAVIS or 66 McLAUGHLIN accordingly. Unless they're trying to meet some sort of need along Matheson on Saturdays. Personally, I would have preferred if the tried to serve the western reaches of Heartland as well by running at least to Latimer if not Terry Fox and return via Plymouth.

102 and 202 cancelled, replaced by the 103 with a 19 minute frequency all day on weekdays and every 24 minutes on Saturdays.

I'm not sure if they're trying to be patronizing here by introducing a completely new number (not in keeping with the apparent pattern for 100-series routes) to a route improvement. Granted it's essentially an upgrade of the 202 to 100-series standards. I guess they kinda painted themselves into a corner by declaring the 200-series routes as "local". So much for trying to create a unified image along the Hurontario-Main corridor.

22 goes back to a 13 minute frequency during rush hours for the school year.

No change to the 110 for the school year, stays the same as it is surprisingly.

No weekend improvements, perhaps those are coming in October.

Weekend improvements in October would co-incide with the new charge for the (new?) transit maps. Would they create dramatic overhauls to encourage people to pick up one of the new maps? That'd be an underhanded way of driving up sales. I'd prefer it if they found some corporate sponsor to offset the production of the maps similar to TTC and Yellow Pages. It'd be nice to find the maps in the phonebook as is done in many other places.

Will the new loop connect with either Meadowvale GO and/or Lisgar GO? Wesgate and Meadowvale would make obvious connections. Sounds like it could possibly be an extension of the 32 LISGAR. It's nice to see they're finally streamlining the routes in Meadowvale. Now if they could figure out how to revive the old 24 MEADOWVALE LOOP to clean up the northern reaches of the 9 and 10.

19C?! Really?! Is there that much demand from the Hurontario corridor that a Saturday only branch running into Heartland is needed? Couldn't they say extend the 68 WINDSOR HILL up to Heartland on a daily basis to make it a little more useful? Otherwise adjust the 61 MAVIS or 66 McLAUGHLIN accordingly. Unless they're trying to meet some sort of need along Matheson on Saturdays. Personally, I would have preferred if the tried to serve the western reaches of Heartland as well by running at least to Latimer if not Terry Fox and return via Plymouth.

Yes the 90 will service Meadowvale GO Station during train times.

For the 19C, it's better than having them layover for 11 minutes as they currently do on the 19A branch on Saturdays.

http://www.thestar.com/news/transportation...ssauga-bus-ride

July 19, 2011

Tess Kalinowski

NOTE: This article has been edited from a previous version.

Danielle Casha had heard the stories about bad customer service on transit. But the Mississauga woman hadn’t experienced any close encounters of the rude kind herself until last Monday, July 11.

That’s the day Casha says she was quite literally “held hostage” on a Mississauga MiWay bus — trapped by an obscure cross-border service agreement between Mississauga and the TTC. The subsequent exchange with the bus driver left Casha so humiliated, she didn’t want her picture published.

A frequent rider on both Mississauga Transit and the TTC to her downtown job as a property manager, Casha said the incident took place as she was heading home on the Mississauga bus.

The bus had just left Islington station when she got a call informing her of a family emergency. Her husband, nearby in their car, suggested she get off immediately. Casha headed to the back door of the bus. It stopped at Aukland Dr. and picked up passengers, but the back door didn’t open.

“At first I thought it was me, being distracted with the phone call and worried about the emergency,” wrote Casha. So she rang the bell and waited for the next stop but was surprised when the back door again failed to open, although people were boarding.

Rattled, Casha asked the driver why she couldn’t get off.

“Her response was to roll her eyes and yell back to me that she only picks up in Toronto and I would have to wait until I got to Mississauga and that I should know that and not bother her,” said Casha.

She went back to her seat, where she could see her husband driving near the bus waiting for her to exit.

“I was fighting back tears and I was trying to put a smile on my face because I was absolutely humiliated the way this driver treated me. All these people are sitting there staring at you. The driver’s just going off and I’ve got to stand there and take that. Why? I don’t think I deserved any of that,” Casha told the Star.

She believes the driver, already behind schedule, might have been having a bad day. “But she certainly didn’t have the right to take it out on me.”

Casha said she only shared her story to make other commuters aware of the cross-border transit policy that prohibits Mississauga buses from picking up Toronto-bound passengers inside Toronto’s borders or dropping off westbound riders until the bus crosses back into Mississauga. There are some exceptions, including riders transferring to another Mississauga bus.

The policy, meant to ensure each transit agency collects fares within its own city limits, isn’t customer-friendly. Metrolinx has urged eliminating it, noting the policy leaves some riders standing at a stop waiting for a TTC bus while a Mississauga bus drives past.

Casha points out that she had paid her fare on both systems and the driver surely had some discretion to let her off the bus for a family emergency.

Mississauga Transit officials refused to comment on the specifics of her complaint before their own investigation is complete.

“Our operators are expected to be professional at all times, use good judgment, promote good public relations, and provide good customer service in order to enhance our service at every opportunity,” said Mississauga transit director Geoff Marinoff. “The driver would not normally authorize the rear door(s) to be opened except for an emergency evacuation.”

The policy is designed to make sure each transit system collects the fare owed to it, said TTC spokesman Brad Ross. “If you’re dropped in the City of Toronto boundaries and you pay the fare to Mississauga Transit, that’s a fare that should have been paid to the TTC because now you’re operating in Toronto.”