MiWay

Orion VIII

Do the AAs essentially call out the stops as indicated on the pre-AA next stop signs? They weren't entirely consistent or accurate with those to begin with. Simply importing the list into the AA system could cause some confusion.

For example, some near- and farside stops are identified differently. One as X Ave. the other by the name of a road which is accessed from a catwalk at that stop. When a street changes names when crossing another, the stops are generally identified based on which side of the street they're on. (It'd be nice if they identified both.) Are stops identified by a (residential) address retained or do they use the nearest intersection, which makes more sense to riders. I may not know where 1234 Hurontario St. is, but if the stop said Mineola, even if it's not exactly there I'd know where I was.

One stop on Britannia Rd. West in particular seems to be completely confused. The westbound stop 0783 just west of Tillsdown, which changes it's name to River Grove south of Britannia. Due to the turn the 10 makes onto Britannia, it's placed near the catwalk to St. Ives Way, but is identified as River Grove by the 27, 39, 89 - and the 10 which runs the length of River Grove.

The 27, 39 and 89 would call that "Next stop: Tillsdown Avenue" but the 10 would call it "Next stop: Britannia Road West at Tillsdown Avenue" since it's the 10's first stop on Britannia.

So they're not using what's posted on the next stop signs? I haven't had a chance to see/hear the announcements on the 10 for that particular stop. So it's possible to have a stop identified by two different names based on the route? I'm hoping that they worked to streamline the names for all of the stops so that there's some sort of consistency to them.

The reason the 10 will say a different name for that stop is that that is its first stop after turning onto Britannia. Likewise, when the 27 and 89 turn right at Winston Churchill, they will announce "Next stop: Winston Churchill Boulevard at Oka Road" and their following stop will be solely "Next stop: Tours Road" because it's already been established that they are travelling on Winston Churchill Boulevard.

The reason the 10 will say a different name for that stop is that that is its first stop after turning onto Britannia. Likewise, when the 27 and 89 turn right at Winston Churchill, they will announce "Next stop: Winston Churchill Boulevard at Oka Road" and their following stop will be solely "Next stop: Tours Road" because it's already been established that they are travelling on Winston Churchill Boulevard.

Of course that makes sense. Is it done in practice with the AAs since the next stop signs are somewhat problematic if they were used without thinking about what was actually happening? Out of curiousity, does the previous stop on the 10 say River Grove Ave. at Britannia Rd.?

No one hurt in bus crash

Staff photo by Fred Loek

Transit troubles

Traffic is still moving slow in some parts of the city today due to accidents. Here, a Mississauga Transit bus went off the road on Dundas St. W. at Proudfoot St. around 3 p.m.

A Mississauga Transit bus has crashed through a guardrail on Dundas St. W.

Peel Regional Police say no one was injured when the bus crashed across from Erindale Park while travelling westbound along Dundas St. W. at around 2:45 p.m. The snow-covered roads have made for treacherous driving conditions.

Police and Mississauga firefighters responded. There were no passengers on board the us.

Mississaugans can expect another 3-5 centimetres of snow before it stops falling this evening, according to Environment Canada.

Police are urging motorists to avoid non-essential travel during today's storm, and to work from home or take public transit whenever possible. Those who decide to drive should employ extra caution on roads and highways.

Allow extra time when travelling to and from destinations, drive slower than the posted speed limit and leave ample space between vehicles, the Ontario Provincial Police say. Always assume road conditions will be slippery, police said.

Mississauga News

th_8399edc8.jpg th_5a8670a4.jpg th_330760e0.jpg

Someone uploaded this last week:

I'm not sure where it is. The artic in the background and the blue roof reminded me of the Burger King at Dixie Mall but I can't picture exactly where...

I was at Dixie Mall that day and saw the bus stuck down in the ditch. It was on the southern most access road off of Dixie, just south of the No Frills and just north of the golf course. http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=...mp;t=h&z=18

Allso from sat night 9728 &9729 were also on rt26 ,with both buses being the last two buses from islington stn !

with 3 9700sbeing on rt26 on a sat nite,half the buses on the line were non accessible.. it is believed this has not occured since 2005,prior to the retirements of the 8800s & the d60-93s! (the fact that a high % of non accessible buses being on rt26 at one time)