MiWay

Orion VIII

An El Dorado on Streetsville (Rt. 9) this morning, not sure if that's unusual or not.

I also found this paper bus thing in my mail today that features an Orion VII painted orange on one side and blue on the other. Interestingly they made the front and the roof blue and the back orange. I wonder how much consultation these decisions needed. Overall it might pass for cuteness but the paper bus folks on here have made much better. If I keep it dry I'm hoping that I can make it last twelve years.

The slogan they've used is "Build it today. Ride it tomorrow." I will try to scavenge some for posterity's sake. There's 250 condo's in this place and none of us suffer junk mail very well so getting some extras out of the giant junk mail bucket shouldn't be hard. They might do better to send everyone a map.

I grabbed a few at SQ1 3 weeks ago, I dont know if they have gotten more, but I cleaned them out, taking all 8 that I could find, very cheap paper for a model though, worse than even YRT's model, TTC still uses heavy Cardstock which is nice, I reinforced the ones I made up with braille paper, its 80lb stock that I have for my braille paper.

I was on #3 today buses that happen to be 500's in both directions.

The AA did not work until be got past Dixie going east where the last 4 stops were announced as well all of TTC stops to the East Mall and very low volume.

Coming Home from East Mall, volume was hard to hear considering I was sitting under the speakers in the first place. All the stops were announced, with only 3 stops having Bloor added.

The stop names show up only once for stops in the display where stop request kept on scrolling.

Took MT long enough to do this route since it was supposed to be done many months ago.

Saw one of the new Orion Hybrids, 1042, that had AAs now.

Rode 1043 and it also had them, the screen is mounted to the bulkhead behind the front door where the second stop request sign is, same place as the TTC's. It wasn't calling out the stops so the driver was calling them out instead.

Also noticed they seem to have reprogrammed the rear doors, they were much faster in closing than before.

There a 98xx in rt 26 at 9pm ( was too far to see the # but it WAS an orion VI ( sb city ctr dr servicing the stop beside walmart). It wasn't rt 3 as a rt 3 left the terminal less than 5 minutes later than when I spotted the Orion VI!

EDIT: that bus is 9801 and is loading at islington subway now as I type (at 210xm)

This has been percolating for a while. I wonder, if Ford does indeed kill Transit City but it's past the point of no return, could the province reallocate the vehicles/infrastructure to other light rail projects? Mississauga/Brampton, Kitchener/Waterloo and Hamilton all have plans at some stage of development. I'm sure the Transit City order would be enough to get at least two of those projects going.

Mississauga ready to take Toronto’s light rail money

Tess Kalinowski

Transportation Reporter

Published On Tue Dec 7 2010

Premier Dalton McGuinty needn’t worry — if Toronto Mayor Rob Ford doesn’t want it, Mississauga will be only too happy to take the province’s money to build light rail transit (LRT).

That’s the cheeky suggestion proffered by Mississauga Mayor Hazel McCallion in a letter to Transportation Minister Kathleen Wynne.

“If any Toronto transit contracts are cancelled I want to inform you up front that we could use the money that has been allocated for those projects, for transit projects in Mississauga,” McCallion says in the Dec. 3 letter obtained by the Star.

The letter surfaced just as McGuinty and Ford had their first face-to-face discussion Tuesday on the fate of Toronto’s Transit City light rail plan.

Ford wants to build subways instead of LRT with the $8.15 billion the province has committed to Toronto over the coming decade.

McGuinty has repeatedly said he’s willing to work with the new mayor but there’s no more money coming to Toronto for transit and he’s not picking up the bill for hundreds of millions of dollars in contract cancellations and work already finished on Transit City.

McCallion wants to build LRT on Mississauga’s busiest bus corridor, Hurontario St., and that project is already included in the 25-year provincial transportation plan, although it has not been funded.

“Metrolinx has recently approved the business case analysis for LRT with results that are very favourable compared to other projects currently allocated for funding in Toronto,” McCallion said in her letter, which is copied to Mississauga MPPs, councillors, Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell and Metrolinx CEO Bruce McCuaig.

Mississauga and Brampton are already moving ahead on the project’s design so it’s ready to roll as soon as money becomes available.

Above-ground LRT costs about a third as much as subways — the TTC estimates about $100 million per kilometre compared to about $300 million for tunneling.

Ford hasn’t specified whether he would agree to underground LRT such as that being planned for the Eglinton line of Transit City, rather than subways which carry more riders. But once a project goes under the road the costs are about the same as subways, according to TTC chief general manager Gary Webster.

Fees and Charges: Mississauga Transit Fares (Proposed Increase April 4, 2011)

Corporate Report dated November 25, 2010 from the Commissioner of Transportation

and Works seeking approval of Transit Fares at an increased rate to be effective April 4,

There a 98xx in rt 26 at 9pm ( was too far to see the # but it WAS an orion VI ( sb city ctr dr servicing the stop beside walmart). It wasn't rt 3 as a rt 3 left the terminal less than 5 minutes later than when I spotted the Orion VI!

EDIT: that bus is 9801 and is loading at islington subway now as I type (at 210xm)

Yes, it went whizzing by my area a couple of times, I nearly got a picture in the afternoon, as I sat at coffee time but couldent get the iphone to focus fast enough.

I've been seeing a few of them around here, 9821 was spotted on Thursday, being a brat & tailgating 0509 all the way east on Dundas from Maybelle to Islington, then 0509 whizzed around the turn, & 9821 was too slow to catch up.

Do you have a link to this document?

Here's the link from the City's Budget Committee Agenda.

A rundown of the changes (see page 8):

No change to cash fares, child or student tickets/passes.

Adult tickets: +$0.10 per ticket Adult weekly pass: +$2.00 Adult monthly pass: +$9.00

Senior tickets: +$0.05 per ticket Senior monthly pass: $3.00 Senior annual pass: +$30.00

One-way Single Wonderland fare: from $7.50 to $8.00 Group/Family fare: from $22.00 to $24.00

GO Transit integration Monthly sticker: from $24.00 to $25.00 Co-fare payment: from $0.60 to $0.65

Charter rate for 60-foot bus: $180/hour, minimum 2 hours

And this wasn't mentioned in the report but shows up only in the Appendix on page 8: Transit Maps will cost $2.00

All of this is contingent on approval by Council at their meeting on December 13. Things could change depending on the outcome of deliberation. As for Transit Expansion within the City, there probably won't be any significant change until 2013 with the opening of the BRT and 2015 when the new 5-Year Expansion Plan is drafted. The current Plan had been downscaled due to the poor economy. Additional funding (either from higher levels of government or significant ridership growth) would be required to restore the original plans.

It was mentioned back on Nov 23rd about the MiWay decals being put on the rear windows but I don't see any pictures of one so for those who may not have seen it yet, I'll post one.

Why didn't they just put a smaller sticker over the old MT logo below?

does anyone know how often are the 01 D60LFs being used and if so what routes can they be seen on mostly?

Routes 1 and 26 during weekdays and 1, 26, and 19 during Saturdays. Basically any non MiExpress routes you can find 08 D60LFRs that are based out of Central garage.

During rush hours, some busy routes might get them such as 201.

Routes 1 and 26 during weekdays and 1, 26, and 19 during Saturdays. Basically any non MiExpress routes you can find 08 D60LFRs that are based out of Central garage.

During rush hours, some busy routes might get them such as 201.

The 201/89/27 and 71 get artics. Artics on Saturdays and Sundays, not just Saturdays.