MiWay

Orion VIII

I see, thanks. Was there rush hour service north to Britannia or Derry at that time?

Rush hour service on Route 53 Kennedy went up to Derry Rd while Off Peak service went as far as Eglinton Ave. Route 25 Britannia Industrial provided Rush Hour service in the Bristol / Thornwood area while going between Square One and the Industrial area (S.B. in the AM and N.B. in the PM).

53 Kennedy ran Every 30 Minutes both Rush Hour and Off Peak with no weekend service.

25 Britannia Industrial ran Every 15 Minutes in Rush Hours only

Also I should add that service on Forum Dr was only serviced off peak. 25 Britannia Industrial did not use Forum Dr.

I took my first MiExpress ride on both models as well as a ride on one of the Hybrids. First off, the hybrid was alright but not the best. I prefer the TTC's over MiWays. Although the seating arrangement was much more spacious than the TTC's HF section on their VIIs but the second last row on MiWay's was pretty annoying because you have to put your feet up on the wheel well. With the MiExpress D60LFRs, I didn't feel the difference between then and the 2008 D60LFRs. The only difference that reminded me I was in a 2010 was the reading lights and power plugs. The Orion VII BRT on the other hand was nice, although it did still have the regular bus feel instead of a BRT feel it was nice and fast. We were zooming along the whole route (107). Any reason as to why they went with a different seating arrangement in the BRT VIIs versus the Hybrids? BTW, they were installing a new MiWay bus stop on Carlingview south of Dixon today afternoon.

Looking back on my Mississauga Transit maps 53 Kennedy did go up Forum Dr. On the May 9, 1994 and September 6, 1994 route maps it shows 53 Kennedy off peak service looping via West on Eglinton Ave, North on Forum Dr and East on Nahani Way / Dakota Rd back to Kennedy Rd to return to Square One. The service on Forum Dr lasted between May 9, 1994 to May 7, 1995. On the May 8, 1995 Map it shows the New route 65 Sandalwood serving the area and the 53 Kennedy service eliminated from Forum Dr.

I really should get back to scanning those old Mississauga Transit maps. It just takes a while doing them at home with a personal scanner and then stitching them together. I think I may be able to access a larger scanner, but no guarantees on that.

Meanwhile, has anyone noticed the extended New Year's Eve service? It's kinda buried if you don't feel like waiting for it to scroll around or if you don't know where to jump to. Anyway, it looks like the same set of routes they've always used: 1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 13, 19, 23, 26 and 34. The City has grown far beyond the service area of those routes. It'd be nice if they could fill in some of north-central Mississauga. There's nothing between Hurontario, Glen Erin, Eglinton and Steeles save for the Streetsville portion of the 9. I'm sure there are people in that area who would appreciate the extra service. Throw in a Sunday 61 if they don't want to be running though a lot of residential streets at 2AM. Yes, I know the service is sponsored by different companies. How much more would it cost to throw in the extra route?

They provide a list of last trip times from a specific stop, but they don't tell you how often they'll be running up until that point. At least not yet. Are they just showing us "Look how late were running!" without telling us that it could be hourly service?!

I really should get back to scanning those old Mississauga Transit maps. It just takes a while doing them at home with a personal scanner and then stitching them together. I think I may be able to access a larger scanner, but no guarantees on that.

Meanwhile, has anyone noticed the extended New Year's Eve service? It's kinda buried if you don't feel like waiting for it to scroll around or if you don't know where to jump to. Anyway, it looks like the same set of routes they've always used: 1, 3, 5, 9, 11, 13, 19, 23, 26 and 34. The City has grown far beyond the service area of those routes. It'd be nice if they could fill in some of north-central Mississauga. There's nothing between Hurontario, Glen Erin, Eglinton and Steeles save for the Streetsville portion of the 9. I'm sure there are people in that area who would appreciate the extra service. Throw in a Sunday 61 if they don't want to be running though a lot of residential streets at 2AM. Yes, I know the service is sponsored by different companies. How much more would it cost to throw in the extra route?

They provide a list of last trip times from a specific stop, but they don't tell you how often they'll be running up until that point. At least not yet. Are they just showing us "Look how late were running!" without telling us that it could be hourly service?!

In previous years they had 36, 48, 61, and 110 with extended service, with better frequencies too. The frequencies for the service last year were really really bad if I remember correctly.

There's a wonderful large size scanner at the Kinkos on Hurontario just south of Eglinton but it is only black and white. I believe they said there is a color one at the Financial Drive location but I have not been there. The black and white one worked great on some old blueprints I had. The scanner saves the image as a pdf (although I think you can change that in the setup) and they charge something like $2 for the first and $1 for every subsequent one. You take along a flashdrive and they transfer the files to it for you (or you have them make you a CD).

Of course I'm not on here to tell you how to spend your money, but I have tried the map scanning and stitching together trick in my time and would think the cost to do them in one shot would be worth it considering the hassle of piecing them together the other way.

Both MiWay's website and Citylink were down since this morning, and only came back online within the last hour or so.

Two things I've realized:

- I've already taken MiWay mobile site for granted. It completely sucked having to get by without it.

- Citylink and Click-n-Ride are driven by the same service? They should consider decoupling them so if one goes down, customers can still use the other.

The December 6 Service Changes are now available for viewing:

MiWay_ServiceChanges_175x780.png

Here's a general rundown of the changes:

13 GLEN ERIN (weekday) - one northbound trip extension from South Common to Meadowvale and one northbound trip time adjustment to serve John Fraser students.

19 HURONTARIO (weekday) - early AM frequency (I assume this is pre-AM rush?) changes to 10 minutes, while midday frequency changes to 6 minutes.

38 CREDITVIEW (weekday) - revised departure times.

39 BRITANNIA (weekday) - one eastbound trip time adjustment from Meadowvale.

42 DERRY (weekday) - revised midday departure times.

45 WINSTON CHURCHILL (weekday) - one revised northbound and southbound trip to improve GO Train connections.

61 MAVIS (weekday) - one revised northbound and southbound trip to improve GO Train connections.

66 McLAUGHLIN (weekday) - rush hour frequency now every 15 minutes.

68 WINDSOR HILL (weekday) - revised evening frequency of every 40 minute after 8PM.

107 MALTON EXPRESS (weekday) - one southbound trip time adjustment at Westwood.

303 FATHER GOETZ-SQUARE ONE (weekday) - one southbound trip eliminated due to poor demand.

Bus stop changes (only the first 3 show up on the page, the rest are in the .pdf, although it doesn't explicitly explain what's going on):

Stop 1551 (westbound Burnhamthorpe at nearside Ponytrail ~ serving Routes 20, 26 and 76) - relocated one pole east.

Stop 3224 (northbound Confederation at Prince of Wales ~ serving Route 28) - new stop.

Stop 0334/Stop 0333 (northbound and southbound respectively Hurontario at Mineola ~ serving Route 202) - new stop.

Dixie Outlet Mall

4 SHERWAY GARDENS eastbound stop 0406 now> 0426

Erin Mills Town Centre

13 GLEN ERIN southbound stop 3217 now> 3402

33 ERIN CENTRE LOOP westbound stop 3405 now> 3402

Islington Station

57 COURTNEYPARK northbound stop 5700 now> 0803

Meadowvale Town Centre

10 BRISTOL northbound stop 2299 now> 0812

39 BRITANNIA eastbound stop 1064 now> 1374

57 COURTNEYPARK southbound stop 1789 now> 0665

Port Credit GO Station

202 HURONTARIO northbound stop 5202 now> 0344

Square One/City Centre Transit Terminal

110 UNIVERSITY EXPRESS southbound stop 3333 now> 1436

Westwood Mall

59 AIRPORT INFIELD southbound stop 5710 now> 2853

Next Service Change on January 24, 2011.

Tender for the supply and delivery of 43 diesel buses and 15 BRT diesel buses closed today, with the low bidder being Orion/DBNA for both categories. They bid $18.1 Million for the 43 diesel buses and $6.5 million for the BRT diesel buses. New Flyer was the second low bidder bidding $20.4 million for the 43 diesel buses and $7.5 million for the 15 BRT diesel buses. Nova was the highest, bidding $23.7 million for the 43 diesel buses and $8.4 million for the 15 BRT diesel buses.

The "RFP for Manufacture, Supply and Delivery of: a Division A - up to (35) Forty Foot Low Floor DIESEL BUSES for delivery in 2011 with an Option to purchase (8) additional buses for delivery in 2011 Division B - up to (15) Forty Foot (BRT) style Low Floor Diesel Buses for delivery in 2012. Subject to additional by Mississauga City Council " closed today.

Just got off the phone with the Materiel Management Hotline with the following results:

Division A* (35 40' LF diesel buses with option to purchase 8 more):

Daimler - $18,103,000 or $421,000.00 each

New Flyer - $20,412,173 or $474,701.70 each

Novabus - $23,675,716 or $550,598.05 each

Division B (15 40' LF BRT diesel buses):

Daimler - $6,510,000 or $434,000.00 each

New Flyer - $7,532,055 or $502,137 each

Novabus - $8,437,676 or $562,511.74 each

*Note that the total prices for Division A must be for all 43 buses, seeing as the unit prices when those numbers are divided by 35 is way too high.

EDIT: I realise the highlights of this were posted by Silly Tilley while I was making this post.

Quick question.

Today I saw a V on 57 (reminds me of the pre V movement to Central days). Isn't 57 a Malton route?

I also saw a 03 on route 44; isn't this a central route and all the 03s are at Malton?

So confused.

EDIT: Oh no; that means the next BRT order won't come till 2012 which means no MiExpress improvements for over a year.

Edited by Orion V

The 03s at Malton are the exception to the rule, MT0603 will be able to tell you for sure but I'm fairly certain there are only a few up there.

I saw one of the window stickers tonight. Plain white stickers on the last window. Barely visible when the interior lights are on and I'd imagine they'll be invisible when someone wearing white is sitting inside where the stickers are.

• Root Admin
The 03s at Malton are the exception to the rule, MT0603 will be able to tell you for sure but I'm fairly certain there are only a few up there.

I saw one of the window stickers tonight. Plain white stickers on the last window. Barely visible when the interior lights are on and I'd imagine they'll be invisible when someone wearing white is sitting inside where the stickers are.

They large at least?

The "RFP for Manufacture, Supply and Delivery of: a Division A - up to (35) Forty Foot Low Floor DIESEL BUSES for delivery in 2011 with an Option to purchase (8) additional buses for delivery in 2011 Division B - up to (15) Forty Foot (BRT) style Low Floor Diesel Buses for delivery in 2012. Subject to additional by Mississauga City Council " closed today.

I have a feeling that Orion will win this, they really want to comeback the market!

Quick question.

Today I saw a V on 57 (reminds me of the pre V movement to Central days). Isn't 57 a Malton route?

I also saw a 03 on route 44; isn't this a central route and all the 03s are at Malton?

So confused.

EDIT: Oh no; that means the next BRT order won't come till 2012 which means no MiExpress improvements for over a year.

0301 and 0302 are the only units that have been up at Malton for some time now. There's been a few 05s up at Malton lately so those 03s might not even be at Malton anymore.

It means that there's going to be no rush hour improvements to MiExpress, midday and weekend improvements are still a possibility.

So Malton is pretty far from being at the capacity it did for the last few years when it had the 97/05/08s up there? All it currently has are 12 artics, all the 06s, and 2 03s? Is it because Central now does the weekend runs so Malton don't need so many buses as it did before?

Also, what's up with 57 getting a V? I've heard it happen a few months ago as well on this board after the Vs have been moved down to Central.

So Malton is pretty far from being at the capacity it did for the last few years when it had the 97/05/08s up there? All it currently has are 12 artics, all the 06s, and 2 03s? Is it because Central now does the weekend runs so Malton don't need so many buses as it did before?

Also, what's up with 57 getting a V? I've heard it happen a few months ago as well on this board after the Vs have been moved down to Central.

57 might be a Central route now, I've seen a recent photo of an OG VII on it.

Just got off the phone with the Materiel Management Hotline with the following results:

Division A* (35 40' LF diesel buses with option to purchase 8 more):

Daimler - $18,103,000 or $421,000.00 each

New Flyer - $20,412,173 or $474,701.70 each

Novabus - $23,675,716 or $550,598.05 each

Division B (15 40' LF BRT diesel buses):

Daimler - $6,510,000 or $434,000.00 each

New Flyer - $7,532,055 or $502,137 each

Novabus - $8,437,676 or $562,511.74 each

Wow, that is a significant gap in price between all three bidders. I wonder if Orion views this as a 'prestige' order and is willing to significantly underbid to win the contract?

Wow, that is a significant gap in price between all three bidders. I wonder if Orion views this as a 'prestige' order and is willing to significantly underbid to win the contract?

Definitely. And I strongly believe that we're going to get what we pay for...or more accurately, not get what we don't get pay for. :lol: