Toronto Island Ferries

wil9402

• 4 weeks later...

yes they did use to own the toronto ferries, they stop operating them when city hall took over, the info you need is found in the book the first 75 years of the TTC

That's where I saw the picture of the Ferry with the TTC logos on it but I never read the captions because I was little then and I only borrowed the book from the Library to look at the pictures, LOL.

• 2 months later...

The city took over, plus it wasn't really a moneymaker so I think they wanted to get rid of it.

:) Like the rest of the TTC system is making big $$$?. I think the TTC should operate them again, or at least have some sort of integrated fare systems. I think it's imporrtant to have a transportation system that people can easily understand and navigate. I don't like the piecemeal transit services that we currently have in the GTA and surrounding areas.

:huh: Like the rest of the TTC system is making big $$$?. I think the TTC should operate them again, or at least have some sort of integrated fare systems. I think it's imporrtant to have a transportation system that people can easily understand and navigate. I don't like the piecemeal transit services that we currently have in the GTA and surrounding areas.

Integrated fares maybe a good idea since then the people could transfer to a TTC service when they get off the ferry. If Miller hadn't killed the bridge to the islands then you would have probably seen some sort of TTC service operate up there.

Off Steve Munro's website:

"I read the TTC Mandate from the City www site today. Makes one wonder why the Toronto Island Ferry is not part of the TTC - I think it maybe used to be? The island ferry service is doubtless something the TTC does not want to take over but water transportation (ie an expanded ferry service) is something which could help move people if it were properly integrated into the public transit network.

Mandate

The Commission is responsible for the consolidation, co-ordination and planning of all forms of local passenger transportation within the urban area of Toronto, except for railways incorporated under federal and provincial statutes, and taxis.

The Commission’s functions are to construct, maintain and operate a local passenger transportation system, and to establish new passenger transportation services where required. The Commission may also operate parking lots in connection with the transit system, and may enter into an agreement with municipalities or persons situated within 40 kilometers of Toronto, to operate a local transportation service.

Ah yes, the TTC used to have a marine division called the “Ferry Department”. It was merged into the new Metropolitan Toronto Parks Department in 1954.

Of course, there would be some challenges if this were still a TTC operation.

•If the Sam McBride is half way across to Centre Island, and is short turned, do the passengers have to get off?

•Would crews exchange vessels in the middle of the harbour to get back on time?

•Would the TTC operate an express ferry to The Beach in competition with the Queen Car, and would it replace the express bus? "

• 3 months later...

I'm talking about the normal $6 ones where most people take.

How many ferries do they have, how many are used for each of the 3 routes? How old are each of these ferries? How many passengers can each of these carry?

I'm talking about the normal $6 ones where most people take.

How many ferries do they have, how many are used for each of the 3 routes? How old are each of these ferries? How many passengers can each of these carry?

FOr the number of ferries & what is used, there are 3 big ferries. Sam McBride, Thomas (fill in the blank), William (fill in the blank). 2 of them are used for the centre island route (most used), 1 is for the Wards island route. As for Hanlans Point, They use the ferries in which you can put a car, truck (tractor trailers too!), and a BUS. Reason I say bus is that on that part os the island, there is a Classic with TTC Livery on it. Does anyone know if that bus is retired or donated? I know its used as a shuttle to bring employees from the water plant to the ferry docks.

FOr the number of ferries & what is used, there are 3 big ferries. Sam McBride, Thomas (fill in the blank), William (fill in the blank). 2 of them are used for the centre island route (most used), 1 is for the Wards island route. As for Hanlans Point, They use the ferries in which you can put a car, truck (tractor trailers too!), and a BUS. Reason I say bus is that on that part os the island, there is a Classic with TTC Livery on it. Does anyone know if that bus is retired or donated? I know its used as a shuttle to bring employees from the water plant to the ferry docks.

Sam McBride, Thomas Rennie, William Inglis All of which can alternate between Wards Island Runs and Centre Island runs.

Ongiara (the passenger/auto carrier) Hanlans Point Ferry.

Trillium (paddle boat ferry) Mostly charter service but does see occaisonal island runs.

Maple City, Windmill Point, TCCA1 Owned by Toronto Port Authority and operates to the City Centre Airport from the western gap dock. (foot of bathurst) NOT owned by Toronto Parks, recreation and Foresty Dept.

Maple City and Windmill Point are auto carriers. TCCA1 (Toronto City Centre Airport 1) is the passenger/auto carrier.

Sam McBride, Thomas Rennie, William Inglis All of which can alternate between Wards Island Runs and Centre Island runs.

Trillium (paddle boat ferry) Mostly charter service but does see occaisonal island runs.

Maple City, Windmill Point, TCCA1 Owned by Toronto Port Authority and operates to the City Centre Airport from the western gap dock. (foot of bathurst) NOT owned by Toronto Parks, recreation and Foresty Dept.

Maple City and Windmill Point are auto carriers. TCCA1 (Toronto City Centre Airport 1) is the passenger/auto carrier.

I was on the Trillium yesterday coming back from Dragon Boat; it looked a bit different from the other big ferries; hence my original question.

How about carrying capacity for them all?

How old are these ferries now? I heard one of them was in a fire some years back?

Reason I say bus is that on that part os the island, there is a Classic with TTC Livery on it. Does anyone know if that bus is retired or donated? I know its used as a shuttle to bring employees from the water plant to the ferry docks.
The bus is in service and assigned to the island, it is used by the TTC to provide service on the island. I am guessing that it leaves the island only when it needs more fuel.

Is it a 6200?

Ya. I was on the island last year and I saw the bus but never rode it. When I went to the place where City of Toronto workers are trained, I saw that same classic parked in their garage.

I remember seeing a picture of an Orion VII on the Island somewhere but can't remember. Also, in September 2003 while on the Island I saw a Fishbowl pass me twice. Does the TTC ever change the bus on the Island with another bus or does 6249 stay on the Island? Is the Service it provides for the public?, if it is then why doesn't the TTC put it on maps?

Ongiara has very little passenger space compared to the Wards/Centre Island Ferries. I rode it ones to Hanlans Point. I've rode the Sam McBride so many times between Centre Island and Downtown.

6249?? it could be. i haven't seen that bus in ages. And it's not retired. But I thought it was a fishbowl. From what I seen the last time I was there.

As for TTC taking over the ferries that sounds as a good idea. I wonder how TTC would operate it as? Like a subway were routes can terminate at the docks. Or even routes that can be used for the public on the Island.

It would be very interesting!!

Accorrding to the Toronto Island Commuinty website there is a shuttlebus running from the islands to TCCA (Toronto City Center Airport) not much info only the times it runs .Info can be found here

torontoisland.org (under Announcements)

Does the TTC ever change the bus on the Island with another bus or does 6249 stay on the Island? Is the Service it provides for the public?, if it is then why doesn't the TTC put it on maps?.