Jump to content
BCT-3122-D800-10240

Sunshine Village Ski Resort

Recommended Posts

On my way to Calgary a couple of weeks ago, I passed two classics on the highway that had Calgary transit colours on them. They were coming from sunshine. No pictures though. I was driving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, after a visit to Sunshine Village today, I found #34 again now with more decals on it and found it is ex-Calgary Transit #5096 as well as #35 with no exterior decals or fleet numbers but had 35 in the route sign as the others do as well. And this one is ex-Calgary Transit #5094 which was last seen on Calgary Police Service property. Here are a couple of images:
200816-08233sunshine34.jpg 200816-08237sunshine35.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was out in Banff yesterday and saw Sunshine 31 just as I was heading out of town. Are these stored outdoors, or is there a lot of salt used on the roads around Banff?. There's a fair bit of surface rust on it throughout the body, mainly noticeable just below the windows. From the pictures 2 years ago, it looked so shiny and fresh, so was surprised by how rusty it looked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2016 at 7:01 PM, Vancouver said:

Was out in Banff yesterday and saw Sunshine 31 just as I was heading out of town. Are these stored outdoors, or is there a lot of salt used on the roads around Banff?. There's a fair bit of surface rust on it throughout the body, mainly noticeable just below the windows. From the pictures 2 years ago, it looked so shiny and fresh, so was surprised by how rusty it looked.

Yes these are stored outside year round. How much salt is used I am not too sure, but having driven that road a fair bit in the winter it is usually kept quite clear. So I imagine a decent amount of salt and road chemicals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some images of Sunshine Village #36 which appears to have been acquired earlier this year - These photos captured on September 3, 2017:
030917-9750sunshine36.jpg030917-9755sunshine36.jpg
And here is a shot of #36 at their shop in the Banff Industrial area when I first spotted #36.  Not sure exactly when they picked this unit up though. Photo captured on May 20, 2017

200517-9410sunshine36.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pictures unfortunately, but Sunshine Village has confirmed to have purchased 5 used New Flyer low floor buses from Red Deer Transit. A set of 3 2005 New Flyer D40LF buses and a pair of 2007 New Flyer D40LFR buses. I spotted one running at the resort on Christmas Day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/29/2017 at 3:36 PM, kevlo86 said:

No pictures unfortunately, but Sunshine Village has confirmed to have purchased 5 used New Flyer low floor buses from Red Deer Transit. A set of 3 2005 New Flyer D40LF buses and a pair of 2007 New Flyer D40LFR buses. I spotted one running at the resort on Christmas Day.

So this is the end of the classics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last Friday I spotted what I believed to be a D40LF which was heading to Sunshine according to it's destination sign on the Trans Canada Hwy.  I believe it was #41 and the number was in the usual font on all of Sunshine's other buses.  

If I am taking a guess, these are 1 of the 3 new D40LF buses they purchased 2 months ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was in Banff today and saw both 44 and I think 45. They both retain the Red Deer Transit livery. 44, the D40LFR has some Sunshine banners on the side. The D40LF was just in Red Deer livery but did have Banff programmed into the destination sign. Looks like Sunshine is just keeps buying used buses which seems to work out for them.

Does Red Deer have so many buses that they can sell off their 2007 D40LFRs? They seem pretty young for a used bus that was purchased by a ski hill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/04/2018 at 9:43 PM, Vancouver said:

Does Red Deer have so many buses that they can sell off their 2007 D40LFRs? They seem pretty young for a used bus that was purchased by a ski hill.

Yep! Lots of CNG LFS's! With the NDP government there's been a lot of transit funding available.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ex-RDT #656 is Sunshine #42, 657 is 41, 658 is #45, and 730 is #44.  I suspect #43 is the second D40LFR. Photos all captured May 20, 2018.
MCI Classic #'s 33 and 35 seem to the the only remaining Classics now. Was told by a fella from their office that most of the Classics are now gone.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BCT-3122-D800-10240 said:

Ex-RDT #656 is Sunshine #42, 657 is 41, 658 is #45, and 730 is #44.  I suspect #43 is the second D40LFR. Photos all captured May 20, 2018.

MCI Classic #'s 33 and 35 seem to the the only remaining Classics now. Was told by a fella from their office that most of the Classics are now gone.

200518-1903sunshine45.jpg 200518-1956sunshine44.jpg 200518-2004sunshine41.jpg 200518-2006sunshine41.jpg

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found #'s 48 and 49 in operation yesterday among others.  Also, #33 was the only Classic that I could see at their yard in the Banff Industrial. I did not get up to the Sunshine Village this trip so I cannot say that there is one parked up there or not, but I am highly doubting it at this point with the addition of 2 more D40LFR's from Red Deer Transit this season.
010219-5130sunshine48.jpg  010219-5137sunshine49.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×