D60lf roof?

MCIBUS

I've been wanting to ask the question for sonmetime, but kept on forgetting about it.

On the D60lf roof there appears to be two square/rectangle boxes on the roof, Now asomeone told me the A/C unit is in the rear of the bus,hence no rear windo. if that so what are those two "things" on the roof?

If there are the A/C units then I gues the question is mute?

I've been wanting to ask the question for sonmetime, but kept on forgetting about it.

On the D60lf roof there appears to be two square/rectangle boxes on the roof, Now asomeone told me the A/C unit is in the rear of the bus,hence no rear windo. if that so what are those two "things" on the roof?

If there are the A/C units then I gues the question is mute?

I always figured they had something to do with ventilation, but I noticed in looking through my old photos that any D60 or D60LF with AC has the roof boxes, while the ones without have no boxes. I also noticed that the 6351-6398 have a much longer box on the front half of the bus incorporating the AC unit compared to the earlier buses.

I always figured they had something to do with ventilation, but I noticed in looking through my old photos that any D60 or D60LF with AC has the roof boxes, while the ones without have no boxes. I also noticed that the 6351-6398 have a much longer box on the front half of the bus incorporating the AC unit compared to the earlier buses.

The A/C is rear mounted on 6301-6350. My best guess is that the roof things hold all the wiring operations or just are used as an air filter. 6351-6398 have roof mounted A/C which is why they have a longer front box on top.

IMG_2544.JPG

I always wonder why your 08 D60LFs don't have a rear window since the A/C is on the roof.

I read this somewhere [don't remember where on the board it was] but TAs apparently are ordering buses without a rear window because it is just something else to clean and it gets covered in the soot from the exhaust and becomes hard to look through, even after cleaning. A back window on an artic won't help you all to much when backing up either ;)

I read this somewhere [don't remember where on the board it was] but TAs apparently are ordering buses without a rear window because it is just something else to clean and it gets covered in the soot from the exhaust and becomes hard to look through, even after cleaning. A back window on an artic won't help you all to much when backing up either :(

Come to think of it, no driver looks out the back window of any bus when reversing because it's too far away. He or she might have a spotter standing at the back, but drivers use the mirrors when backing up.

Also, when OC Transpo was getting ready to order buses for 1992, they specified a back window and roof-mounted A/C because they had received complaints about passengers not being able to see out the back, presumably to look for connecting buses.

Come to think of it, no driver looks out the back window of any bus when reversing because it's too far away. He or she might have a spotter standing at the back, but drivers use the mirrors when backing up.

Also, when OC Transpo was getting ready to order buses for 1992, they specified a back window and roof-mounted A/C because they had received complaints about passengers not being able to see out the back, presumably to look for connecting buses.

I don't think that was the reason why, the reason to have rear windows on the 92 buses with rooftop is because of the Pilon sign. If you recall seing the 1991 Classic and the V, the Pylon rear sign was mounted on the last window pass. side.

I don't think that was the reason why, the reason to have rear windows on the 92 buses with rooftop is because of the Pilon sign. If you recall seing the 1991 Classic and the V, the Pylon rear sign was mounted on the last window pass. side.

Why did OC have rear mounted signs so early even when TTC didn't have it? I know Translink was the other system that had really early rear mounted signs.

Why did OC have rear mounted signs so early even when TTC didn't have it? I know Translink was the other system that had really early rear mounted signs.
We only moved it's position from the rear to the last window on the curb side for 1991 only, back in 1992 as there was no A/C in the way they put it back to the rear window. Ever since then we've kept with rear signs.

P.S. I was just thinking maybe it wasn't just only the passengers complaining, as usually that does nothing, but maybe also it was the station supervisors who were complaining cause by the time the bus was leaving the station and they forgot to see the route number when they were looking for a specific route. There is no way at all of seeing it once you can only see it's rear.

Just some food for thought.

Ottawa buses have had rear route markers since the mid-1960s so passengers could tell what route the bus was running. I have a photo of a frowning OTC employee standing behind a CCF-Brill no rear sign with that explanation. The CTM in Montreal also had rear route markers on their fishbowls (check 14-008), but later CTCUM and STCUM buses did not. The CTCRO buses also had them as far back as I can remember, which would have been the early-1980s.

I wish they would have installed the rear sign back then, long ago, but that's TTC for you. You can thank Gunn ordered the 1996 buses with the first rear sign which did help today.