Kingston Transit

D40LF

On 10/18/2016 at 0:00 PM, Generator said:

Yes see the only problem is that if we are only getting 6 buses, it would be 83-88. 89 shouldn't be here.

Ah yes you're right, maybe the gap is to not cause confusion between batches for the mechanics? Over the air the coaches are just referred to by the last two numbers; "Coach 41, 42, 43" etc

• 2 weeks later...

New Cat Centre transfer point opened last Tuesday, HUGE improvement over the former, buses have their own bays to pull in to in a zig-zag style, shelters are large, and the entire transfer point is accessible (unlike before where if the 7 had a wheelchair it would have to pull into the main area to unload), and the route signs and maps are in huge print, perfect for the visually impaired.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-11-16 at 0:04 PM, Generator said:

1687 was on the 1 yesterday, unfortunately I was unable to grab a pic. The new Novas have the new GPS, however the new LCD is not under the stop requested sign, it's to the top right of it. It looks kind of bad.

saw 1688 on Route 7 last night as well.

Transit staff have revised the 2017-21 business plan to fit council's financial requirements.

Most of the improvements are remaining: proposals for expanded Sunday hours, the new Montreal Street express route, and increasing frequencies on express routes are all unchanged from the first draft.

The main change is they're dropping the proposal to loop the 701/702 and there's a minor reduction in the number of service hours added in Phase 4 (from 18,615 to 16,415) although it's not specified where they're cutting. Phase 4's improvements were:

1) Extending the Montreal express route from Queen's to SLC and the Kingston Centre

2) New service to unserved areas in the NW (Westbrook, Cataraqui industrial areas, etc.)

3) 30 minute service on Route 1 in evenings and Sundays

With a 12% cut in the budget required to support those 3 improvements, at least one of them will scaled back a bit. Given that the report is vague I imagine they're leaving it up to transit staff to make the decision on what to cut later on, possibly in 2019-ish when there's a better idea of what's more needed. Personally, I think 1) is unnecessary while 2) and 3) are important improvements.

3 hours ago, Kristopher24 said:

I have only seen 1683, 1687,1688 and 1689....  1683 being the only express bus. Not sure where 1684, 1685 and 1686 are

I seem to recall seeing an 84, I really should write down my sightings rather than going by memory.

10 hours ago, DanT said:

1683 and 1684 are express, 1687, 1688, 1689 are locals. 85/86 are not in service yet.

Are 85 and 86 going to be part of this order? With the recent numbering mess I wouldn't be surprised if they were future buses!

4 hours ago, D40LF said:

Are 85 and 86 going to be part of this order? With the recent numbering mess I wouldn't be surprised if they were future buses!

From what I read in council minutes they should be, however that may have changed.

What ever happened to the big plans KT had for running buses to outlying communities? I remember Napanee was listed as one destination, and I believe Gan was another one. This was quite a few years ago as I was still living in Kingston at the time.

4 hours ago, D40LF said:

What ever happened to the big plans KT had for running buses to outlying communities? I remember Napanee was listed as one destination, and I believe Gan was another one. This was quite a few years ago as I was still living in Kingston at the time.

I believe the two municipalities didn't agree to help fund the routes, would've been nice though

On 2016-11-24 at 3:18 PM, DanT said:

I believe the two municipalities didn't agree to help fund the routes, would've been nice though

That's a shame. With Deseronto Transit offering service to Napanee and Belleville it would have been possible to take the bus from Belleville to Kingston, and maybe beyond. Would have been an interesting ride!

• Like 1