Kingston Transit

D40LF

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Generator said:

What happened to 0314 on the wiki? Someone appears to have misplaced it!

Well they say there is an area similar to the 'Bermuda Triangle' in the east end of Lake Ontario southwest of Kingston called the 'Marysburgh Vortex'. Maybe it was on route 10 and got a little 'lost' on the way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marysburgh_vortex

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, Teddy said:

Kingston Transit now has real time GPS tracking available to Google Maps and other transit apps.  Officially rolls out on June 12, but it's already working in my Transit app on my iPhone. 

https://www.cityofkingston.ca/-/kingston-transit-to-release-real-time-travel-data

Nice! Transit360 is still a little confused though. The app normally shows an estimated location based on the schedule, but has stopped showing the estimated location. I will update June 12th if the tracking has been added.

• 2 months later...

Kingston Transit is extending Sunday service on new schedule effective September 5.  

All express routes, and routes 1, 6, and 7 will be running the same service as Saturday.  This gives Kingston access to transit  6am-11pm (approximately) on Sundays and Holidays now.  Fantastic!  Looks like other routes will maintain the current level of Sunday service.

The new schedules are posted https://www.cityofkingston.ca/residents/transit/bus-schedules (marked Sept 5).  A notice is also posted on the bus, however I can't find a news release on the city website.

EDIT: Found a link:  https://www.cityofkingston.ca/-/transit-service-extended-on-sundays-holidays

Edited by Teddy
  • Like 1

On 8/25/2017 at 3:41 PM, Kristopher24 said:

Seen 1504 today with new destination signs on the rear and side.... The rear read 502 in a white print instead of yellow where the side sign was in a orange colour..... Didn't see what the front looked like..... Anyone heard about this? 

Yes I spotted it a couple days ago as well, except for me the door sign was was white, rear was blue, and front was red.  

Interestingly it was on route 701/702 and it only said 701 EXPRESS, but didn't say the route name (i.e. 701 express/kings crossing/via downtown).   Also the rear sign didn't say express like they usually do. Lastly, the side sign was quite a bit larger then the regular signs.  I'd be intere

This isn't the first time Kingston has tried the colour signs, IIRC it was 1049 several years ago that had one in the front only.  The side and rear signs were unchanged.  The colour was matched to the route, so Route 4 was red, Route 1 was green, 2 orange, 3 blue.  KT doesn't really emphasize the route colours as much as they used to, it was much more prevalent before the electronic destination signs.

When the one bus had it before I noticed most of the time it was often less legible, especially with route 4 red during the daylight.  Hopefully this is a newer model with improved brightness if they're trying it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2017 at 7:59 AM, Teddy said:

Kingston has tried the colour signs, IIRC it was 1049 several years ago that had one in the front only.  The side and rear signs were unchanged.  The colour was matched to the route, so Route 4 was red, Route 1 was green, 2 orange, 3 blue.  KT doesn't really emphasize the route colours as much as they used to, it was much more prevalent before the electronic destination signs.

Actually, they did it with a few of the old roller destination signs. However, the background was the route color, and the letters and numbers were white. They were quite legible.

15 hours ago, Generator said:

Actually, they did it with a few of the old roller destination signs. However, the background was the route color, and the letters and numbers were white. They were quite legible.

I took several pictures of the old coloured rollsigns back around the year 2000.  I must admit that they looked very nice:

KT7974.JPG

KT8384.JPG

KT8790.JPG

KT8867.jpg

KT8870a.JPG

KT9196b.JPG

KT9299.JPG

KT9202a.JPG

• Like 1

On 9/14/2017 at 8:58 PM, Generator said:

That's a good point, I didn't take the old rollsigns into account.  I moved here in 2004, and at that time it was only the (fairly new at the time) Dennis Darts 0311-12 and D40LFs 0313-17 which were electronic.  IIRC most of the other buses had the colour background. The New Look 7975 I think was the route name only without route number;  Orion VIs 9803-9810 were all yellow on black originally. 

There was the different style in 2007-later  which had the route colour background on the number, but white on black for the route name.  I liked this style. 

That said, unfortunately the electronic signs don't show off colour as much as the canvas roll signs.  Perhaps these new signs are improved over the last colour electronic sign.

I've seen 1504 several times since, even on Route 4 once and it doesn't seem like they're actually utilizing the colour.

Kingston Transit announced via Facebook yesterday some info about upcoming changes effective May 2018

• New Montreal Express route 801/802
  • Route 16 will change to service Division/Dalton
  • Route 601/602 will get 10 minute peak service
  • Route 1/7 get better service in Rideau Heightd

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎-‎01‎-‎27 at 12:53 PM, DanT said:

1803, 1813 (local), 1818 (local), and 2 other Novas have arrived.

Are they expected to still be equipped with Voith transmissions?  I recall chatter saying they were having issues with acceleration and were considering have them come with a 6-speed transmission.

On 2/1/2018 at 7:36 PM, Kristopher24 said:

I would think 2018 going by the unit numbers. 

The fleet number is often what budget year/cycle the bus is part of, or when it was expected to arrive. The transit agency tells Nova what number to apply before they are built, and if Nova decides to fit them in the production line at the end of the previous year, then so be it.

FYI, York Region Transit's 17xx series LFS buses were built in late 2016 and have 2016 model year VINs.