Kingston Transit

D40LF

Since I won't be heading back to Kingston this year is there someone who would be able to supply some photos of the Arbocs, both 13xx and 14xx, as well as the new express Nova's for my website? I am currently reworking it, as time permits, and updating the pages with information I have gathered over the last few years.

This is the new style,http://www.angelfire.com/f-c-t-s/Kingston/KT/D40LF.html, and also shows the type of photos I am looking for, front and rear 3/4 views.

If you can help me please feel free to PM me.

On 11/28/2016 at 4:09 AM, D40LF said:

Since I won't be heading back to Kingston this year is there someone who would be able to supply some photos of the Arbocs, both 13xx and 14xx, as well as the new express Nova's for my website? I am currently reworking it, as time permits, and updating the pages with information I have gathered over the last few years.

This is the new style,http://www.angelfire.com/f-c-t-s/Kingston/KT/D40LF.html, and also shows the type of photos I am looking for, front and rear 3/4 views.

If you can help me please feel free to PM me.

Send me a message on Facebook, I can see what I have from my trip through earlier in the year.

3 hours ago, TheAverageJoe said:

Send me a message on Facebook, I can see what I have from my trip through earlier in the year.

Thanks

By the way does anyone know when 0830 was retired? I can only say that it would have been late 2015, about the same time as the last of the Internationals but not 100% sure.

17 hours ago, D40LF said:

Thanks

By the way does anyone know when 0830 was retired? I can only say that it would have been late 2015, about the same time as the last of the Internationals but not 100% sure.

Not sure exactly, but it was before April 2015. I asked a few operators about it then and they said it was retired, last time I saw it was in 2012.

7 minutes ago, Kristopher24 said:

Now that the new Nova express buses are starting to enter service and the 03's now starting to be retired.... Could 1255,  1256, 1359 and 1360 possibly be unwrapped and go back to regular service?  

Given the current state of the wraps on those 4, I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

For those of you who are more recent to KT there is an interesting story to 0313. While it was heading to Toronto on the 401 during delivery it hit a deer, this was west of Toronto. The front end was damaged and it spent about three months, at Eastway I think, getting repaired. After arrival the KT ops used to complain that it would always leak around the windshield, although to be honest I don't know if this is due to the accident as I have driven many D40LF that leaked around the windshields!

One of the 15XX Novas has received the GPS upgrade, and the old LCD is no longer in the bus. However, KT has not moved the new LCD to where the old one was, and there are telltale holes where the the old one was. I still think the placement of the new sign is weird and awkward (and ugly), so one has to wonder why it hasn't been moved. @D40LF, do you know if there is a restriction on where certain LCDs can be placed on Novas?

5 hours ago, Generator said:

One of the 15XX Novas has received the GPS upgrade, and the old LCD is no longer in the bus. However, KT has not moved the new LCD to where the old one was, and there are telltale holes where the the old one was. I still think the placement of the new sign is weird and awkward (and ugly), so one has to wonder why it hasn't been moved. @D40LF, do you know if there is a restriction on where certain LCDs can be placed on Novas?

I don't know about Kingston Transit but with Calgary there were issues from drivers about the placement of the screen's affecting the drivers at night so they either moved them or modified them.

1360 is unwrapped, and 1686 is an Express bus.   Both are visible in the background of this video with Bryan Patterson and Sophie Kiwala.

In the video Sophie Kiwala just announced additional funding available to Kingston Transit from the Goverment of Ontario coming from the gas tax.

On 2016-12-19 at 7:48 PM, Kristopher24 said:

Have 0316 and 0317 been retired aswell? I haven't seen them recently.... I saw 0315 today on the #4

No they have not. I have seen 0316 as recently as Saturday the somthingth (last week), and I'm quite sure 0317 is still operational. Apart from the 7, route 12 gets a lot of older buses, so because I frequent that route, I notice the older ones.

Also, almost all of the 40ft buses have received the LCD and GPS/Stop announcement upgrades. The 03XX have not though, probably because their days are numbered. The reason why I say all the 40fts, is because our Arbocs still have not received the upgrade, as far as I can see. I have to wonder what KT plans on doing with them, since the routes they were originally used on no longer exist for the most part.

However, I currently think that eliminating the 12A was a mistake. Frequencies on the 12 are pretty terrible, but it's because the route is so long. I think KT should split it up, and have the 12 run from Kingston Centre to DTP, and 12A run from DTP to the base and back again. The ridership on the 12 from DTP to Hwy 15 is very small, whenever I take it, it's maybe 1-2 people on the bus including me. This is because the 600s now exist, and satisfy needs for a bus route on Hwy 15, plus the frequency of service is much quicker.

But that's just what I think.

Edited by Generator
Additions that probably wouldn't look good in a separate post.

12 hours ago, Generator said:

However, I currently think that eliminating the 12A was a mistake. Frequencies on the 12 are pretty terrible, but it's because the route is so long. I think KT should split it up, and have the 12 run from Kingston Centre to DTP, and 12A run from DTP to the base and back again. The ridership on the 12 from DTP to Hwy 15 is very small, whenever I take it, it's maybe 1-2 people on the bus including me. This is because the 600s now exist, and satisfy needs for a bus route on Hwy 15, plus the frequency of service is much quicker.

But that's just what I think.

As part of the now-approved 5 year business plan, in May of 2018 the Highway 15 section of Route 12 will be eliminated. The route will then run only between CFB-Downtown-Kingston Centre. KT staff noted that ridership north of the base has fallen to extremely low levels since the 600 buses have been introduced, as you said. When the city introduced the 600s, I think the main reason they kept the 12 running up there was because they were hoping that some Gore Road-area residents who work at the base would start taking the bus (a trip which pre-2015 required a backtracking transfer downtown because of the peak-period 12-12A split), but that ended up not happening.

On 2016-12-21 at 10:04 PM, 1overcosc said:

As part of the now-approved 5 year business plan, in May of 2018 the Highway 15 section of Route 12 will be eliminated. The route will then run only between CFB-Downtown-Kingston Centre.

Yes that's exactly what should happen. I haven't really read the transit plans, as is probably obvious.