Hamilton EMS/Police Discussions.

• 1 month later...

New Support 4. This is a HazMat command vehicle. It is replacing the old Support 4, an ex - Ancaster Fire Department rescue that Hamilton inherited on amalgamation. Hamilton does not like to put HazMat on their vehicles after a bad experience 20 years ago. A department (Marked as) “HazMat Command” vehicle was at a large vacant warehouse fire as the regular fire command vehicle was in the shop. People in the area started to ask what hazardous materials where stored in the building. They where told the building was completely empty and why it was there. The people said the department was lying and covering up for the owner. The more they tried to tell the people there was nothing there, the more they where convinced there was a cover up. It was repainted in a week as a support unit.

New Support 4

2010 KME

Support_4.jpg

Old Support 4

1990 Ford 8000

Support04RT330314.jpg

New Support 4. This is a HazMat command vehicle. It is replacing the old Support 4, an ex - Ancaster Fire Department rescue that Hamilton inherited on amalgamation. Hamilton does not like to put HazMat on their vehicles after a bad experience 20 years ago. A department (Marked as) “HazMat Command” vehicle was at a large vacant warehouse fire as the regular fire command vehicle was in the shop. People in the area started to ask what hazardous materials where stored in the building. They where told the building was completely empty and why it was there. The people said the department was lying and covering up for the owner. The more they tried to tell the people there was nothing there, the more they where convinced there was a cover up. It was repainted in a week as a support unit.

Interesting story and thanks for sharing that.

• 2 months later...

I don't know if I'm going insane, but EMS 2264 drove past me and sounded like it had a gasoline engine. Am I right?

Another interesting observaion, there is a tahoe supervisor that has no light bar, it's been driving around for like 3 weeks now. It may be 354?

I don't know if I'm going insane, but EMS 2264 drove past me and sounded like it had a gasoline engine. Am I right?

Another interesting observaion, there is a tahoe supervisor that has no light bar, it's been driving around for like 3 weeks now. It may be 354?

I think there must be a few new tahoes out there that the higher ranked medics are using for admin stuff. I was at Canadian Tire on Upper James a few weeks ago and I believe it was 348 or 349 that was parked there with no light bar on it.

Not sure about 2264. Thats interesting !!!.

On a side note I have heard that the 3 new KME Rescues Units have arrived and are being outfitted at the Bay St mechanical shop.

• 1 month later...
Okay so I listen close to another new Demers unit, and either 2256 or 2257 is confirmed to have a gasoline engine, so its safe to say that 2264 does as well.

You are probably correct seeing that 2256, 2257 2264 and I believe 2245 are part of a recent delivery. They are the newest to go into service. I think this is year 3 of a 3 year contract with Demers. It will be interesting to see if they re sign with Demers. I think the demers vehicles are nice but im just not fond of the Hamilton lighting package they look better with the riser above the cab. Ottawa and and another service in eastern Ont will be purchasing a number of sprinters from Demers to test out this summer.

There is also a 3rd ambulance manufacturer in Ontario now called Tri-star. More competition for Demers and Crestline.

• 2 months later...

So new KME unit R1 (Rescue 1) now lives at Station 1, in downtown Hamilton. Its safe to say it replaced SQ 1 (Squad 1) as I haven't saw it in a while, and R1 has been responding to emergencies.

On a side note, I spotted a plain red (no lettering) Ladder unit heading down Upper James street a few weeks ago.

So new KME unit R1 (Rescue 1) now lives at Station 1, in downtown Hamilton. Its safe to say it replaced SQ 1 (Squad 1) as I haven't saw it in a while, and R1 has been responding to emergencies.

On a side note, I spotted a plain red (no lettering) Ladder unit heading down Upper James street a few weeks ago.

I was unofficially told last week that the new KME Ladder Platform for ladder 1 was sitting unstriped in station 5 and the new ladder 4 a KME rear mount ladder was sitting unstriped in station 2. Rumor has it that the new KME pumper rescue that is on order will be for station 5 and station 27 in Rockton will be getting a new brush truck to replace the aging brush 27.

• 2 weeks later...

New Ladder 1 (85 ft platform), New Ladder 4 (100 ft) and new Engine 5 are at the shop and stripped. All are KME's.

E5 is identical to the previous 5 engines and close to the first 3 engines they purchased.

Pump 5 will go to Pump 12 and their dog of a Pierce pump will be sold off.

The new stile engines are E3, E5, E7, E8, E9, E11, E17, E21, E24.

L4 is identical to L20 in service for about a year or so. Old L4 will be repainted red and become a spare ladder, L60. That is the last yellow full time rig in service. There is one part-time rig left in service, P118.

L1 (Platform) will take the longest to go in service as Hamilton has not had a platform for over 10 years. Present L1 is going to L10. Present L10 will become L90 (tentative) and be assigned to the new training academy at 1227 Stone Church Road East.

Present L60 (Spare) is being repainted red and going to L16 and the present L16 will be sold off.

As to other yellow rigs, I believe there is only 1 and that is P49 which carries only confined space equipment.

New R1, R4, & R6 are now in service.

Ex SQ1 is now Support 24 (in service in about 2 weeks)

Ex R4 is now R68 (Spare)

Ex R6 is up for sale.

They are buying at least one brush truck. It has not been tendered yet.

The Deputy Chief has a new vehicle in the shop being out fitted. It is Ford Excursion Max like the District Chief's vehicle's and has been painted red.

New Ladder 1 being show the operations by a manufacture's rep.

P6060075.JPG

P6060077.JPG

New E5 & Support 24 (ex Sq 1)

P6060080.JPG

Ex R6 up for sale.

P6060081.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if Hamilton EMS are using crestline ambulances again.

I saw an Hamilton crestline from a far distance and it looked like it had an older box remounted on to a new ford chassis. Not sure if i was seeing thisngs or not.

• 2 months later...

New Engine 5 in service September 13

New Ladder 1 (platform) in service September 13

New Ladder 4 in service September 20

End of an era!

As of September 20, there are no yellow front line full-time vehicles in service. Old Ladder 4 is to be painted red and become a spare.

The last yellow part-time vehicle in service is P118. It is to be replaced this fall with Ladder 21 being moved there. At the present time there is no replacement planed for Ladder 21

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know why Hamilton EMS has all of their spares on the road full time now. So far in the past few weeks I have seen 2212,2217,2220,2223 constantly on the streets all which are pre 2008 vehicles.

There also has been a couple of brand new 2011 demers vehicles 2194 and 2195 sitting at the mechanical shops on Bay.st for the past few weeks now and still not in service yet.

• 1 month later...

Items from the police capital budget.

Police Service 2012

Armoured Rescue Unit Vehicle $250,000

Police Service 2013

Police Investigative Services Division Headquarters $1,500,000

Marine Vessel – New – 32 foot (8.5 m) Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat (RHIB) – Zodiac Hurricane $300,000

• 4 months later...

Its been pretty quiet on here lately. Does anyone know of anything new coming in to police,fire,ems ect. I am noticing that Ontario ems services are slowly ordering ambulances on the sprinter chassis instead of Ford or Chev. So far Niagara, Windsor and Waterloo region and maybe more have added sprinters.

It appears that Hamilton Police Service have decided to go with the new ford police interceptor. I was driving up Ferguson ave and one passed me. Not a bad looking car but looks kind of small. There are a couple more sitting in the Lockwood motors compound.

Do you know if it was in service? On Wednesday at the revealing they mentioned it would be about a week before any entered service.

I'm thinking that it wasn't in service as the driver had a white shirt not a dark shirt. So I'm thinking it was senior officer driving it.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As of November 6, Hamilton Emergency Service cesses to exists. This is from Chief Simonds letter to the department.

“I am pleased to announce that with the support of our City Manager and our General Manager, we will once again be known as the Hamilton Fire Department (HFD).”

“Our transition to HFD will result in an immediate name change and (on a graduated basis) see changes to our uniforms and our vehicle/apparatus decaling. Although we will make these modifications gradually in an effort to minimize costs, it is recognized that since we refresh our uniforms and a limited number of vehicles/equipment annually, many of the changes will become evident in the near future.”

Their web site shows Hamilton Fire Department on it.

EMS will be known as the Hamilton Paramedic Service. They will be getting revised crest saying “Hamilton Paramedic” instead of Hamilton EMS.

Fire vehicles will be re-crested mid-December and early January when they have enough crest to do all of the vehicles at once. Some newly delivered and just back from refurbishing vehicles have the new crests on them.

The Paramedics have not decided what is going on their doors. One of the suggested ideas is the City of Hamilton blue crest with the word Paramedic under it.

Here is Ladder 15 (Maybe) (Ex L4) back from refurbishing and is now red. There are no yellow vehicles in service. The only yellow vehicle left is spare L70.

61902459209499667511484.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

As of November 6, Hamilton Emergency Service cesses to exists. This is from Chief Simonds letter to the department. Their web site shows Hamilton Fire Department on it. EMS will be known as the Hamilton Paramedic Service. They will be getting revised crest saying “Hamilton Paramedic” instead of Hamilton EMS. Fire vehicles will be re-crested mid-December and early January when they have enough crest to do all of the vehicles at once. Some newly delivered and just back from refurbishing vehicles have the new crests on them. The Paramedics have not decided what is going on their doors. One of the suggested ideas is the City of Hamilton blue crest with the word Paramedic under it. Here is Ladder 15 (Maybe) (Ex L4) back from refurbishing and is now red. There are no yellow vehicles in service. The only yellow vehicle left is spare L70. 61902459209499667511484.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks very much for the update. Do you happen to know if there will be an updated graphics change for the new ambulances that will be coming in, or will they be remaining the same with just door crest changed.

I know they should be due for a number of new Demers ambulances as there are still a number of aged vehicles still on the road.

• 3 weeks later...