Hamilton EMS/Police Discussions.

Hybrid0920

Does Hamilton still have the old Mack MRs?? They were in yellow originally.

Hamilton had 5 Mack/King Seagrave pumps. They where sold off in the late 90’s. 2 went to Stoney Creek Fire Department and they inherited them back when the departments amalgamated. They where quickly sold off again. They got to sell the vehicles twice. I believe they are all in service with 3 in Quebec and possibly 2 in Almont Ontario.

Here are pictures of the Stoney Creek rigs.

engine16lt.jpg

pump15lt.jpg

There was also the old yellow Freightliner pumper, (P60?) sitting in the corner.

One question, when going to take the pictures can I go on their property? When I took mine I went into Central Park, and took them. And Hamilton, do you work there?

Officially, no one is allowed on any fire department property to take pictures without written permission from the Deputy Fire Chief. If you are off of their property you can do what ever you want. The guys in the station are usually OK with picture taking as long as they are not in the picture and it does not interfere with what ever they are doing. As to me getting on the property, I have friends in high and low places. I have a long relationship with the Chief Mechanic. With another gentleman, we have been taking picture for over 10 years and supplying them free to the Chief Mechanic for his records. Some of my pictures are even used on the department’s web site. So I usually get free rain where ever I go. It is the old I scratch your back etc.! Sometimes people do sneak into the yard at Station 13 at the west end and just peak around the corner and step out and take a few quick pictures when no on is around and looking.

The old Freightliner is ex Tower 67 (TR67). This was ex TR2, TR5 & TR9. Here is a picture of it in September of 2004. It is presently up for sale.

tower67pose300689.jpg

Please excuse me for my possibly noob reply but P9 swapped places with E8 for a bit this week, I was rather surprised to see it.

Not sure if the swapping of vehicles is a rare occurence or not, I just know that I've only seen E8 at this station (8 on Melvin) in the past couple of years. One of the DC's (can't recall which) has also been at the station a lot more than in the past few years. For a long time it seemed to be just E8 there.

Anyway once again apologies for any incorrect info here, I honestly don't know how the Fire/EMS stuff works, I just take note of what I see.

Swapping of vehicles happens all of the time. 1st is when they go for training at the training complex. Another vehicle will come at take its place and calls.

2nd is when they go in for maintenance. A spare vehicle will be placed in service to replace them. The spare vehicle number will run from P40 to P69 plus L70 & S60. When a spare vehicle goes in service it takes the ID of the vehicle it replaces. E.g. right now P9 is in the shop. P41 is taking its place and is now running as P9.

Hope this help.

Hi Everyone,

In case anyone is interested, there is a great emergency vehicle photgraphy site. You will find decent emergency vehicle pics, station pics, fireground pics and videos. It has a 2.00 admin fee to register but definatly worth it with pics being uploaded every few minutes from all over the USA and parts of Canada . They put the 2.00 fee on to deter any spammers.

The site is www.firepics.net

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

All or most new ambulances are in service, I spotted all of them BLANK at Lockwood Motors on Ferguson and Cannon Streets and I believe they were getting their decals. I saw 2221, 2259, and a few others out there. They all have yellow reflective tape around the whole body.

• 2 weeks later...

C73 ex S20/ex 2244. New vehicle for the safety officer placed into service on Friday. Carries extra air bottle and breathing packs, safety equipment and RIT equipment.

img7995.th.jpg

Old P1

pump1pose.th.jpg

New P1

pump1a.th.jpg

P1, P2 & L4 were the last yellow vehicles purchased by Hamilton. This is just out of the paint shop and was being worked on by the striping guy. It is in the shop on Bay Street North having some up grades to the vehicle done. One of the upgrades is having most of the old incandescent and quarts lighting replaced with LED’s. They are not doing the front bar light.

This will leave P2, P118, L4, L70 & driver training vehicle P49 as the only yellow vehicles in the fleet. There are no yellow vehicles in the lower city.

C73 ex S20/ex 2244. New vehicle for the safety officer placed into service on Friday. Carries extra air bottle and breathing packs, safety equipment and RIT equipment.

img7995.th.jpg

Old P1

pump1pose.th.jpg

New P1

pump1a.th.jpg

P1, P2 & L4 were the last yellow vehicles purchased by Hamilton. This is just out of the paint shop and was being worked on by the striping guy. It is in the shop on Bay Street North having some up grades to the vehicle done. One of the upgrades is having most of the old incandescent and quarts lighting replaced with LED’s. They are not doing the front bar light.

This will leave P2, P118, L4, L70 & driver training vehicle P49 as the only yellow vehicles in the fleet. There are no yellow vehicles in the lower city.

Wow, nice to see the change to red. Can't wait to see the change to Ladder 4 when it gets done.

I'm guessing that there is a lenghty delay for the new ford excursions, seeing that Car 73 has switched over to the former ambulance ?

They have not ordered the Ford Excursions yet. The hold up is at city hall purchasing department that is incompetent. They do not like that they have specified only one make of vehicle even thou there is no one out there making what they want. They have to go to council to over ride purchasing to get what they want. This takes time. You will not see them until 2010.

P2 is next to go for painting. L4 is not going out for painting until early 2010 as the whole fleet of ladder trucks are scheduled to start non-destructive aerial ladder testing this fall. L4's refurbishing is expected to take 60 - 90 days.

Next new vehicle orders are expected to be:

2 sprinters (for mechanical division)

3 heavy Rescue's

3 Pumps

1 30m Platform

1 30m Ladder

1 HazMat vehicle (similar to a heavy rescue)

• 2 months later...

New Hazardous Material Response Unit Successful Bidder Metz Fire & Rescue $683,436.57. Built on a KME chassis.

Tender out for One Rear Mounted 24.3 Metre Aerial Ladder Platform and One Rear Mounted 30 Metre Aerial Ladder.

Still to order this year, 3 heavy rescues’, 4 Ford Excursions and 1 Pump.

New HazMat 2 has been delivered and is being out fitted in the shop.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been told that Hamilton Fire and Police are going live in August with a brand new radio sytem. Apparently the system will be totally encrypted for both police and fire therefore it cannot be monitored by any scanner that exists. I could understand Hamilton Police going encrypted due to confiential situations they deal with but I'm not sure why fire woud be going totally encrypted.

Can anyone provide any information on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes Hamilton Fire is getting a new radio and CAD system.

First, all city departments including HSR, bylaw, garbage trucks, snowplows etc use the same system. Over the next 1½ years they will all have a new digital system replace the over 15-year-old system that they are all using. EMS is the only city department not on the system s they are on the provincial EMS system.

The police are scheduled to get theirs first followed by fire. The first radios for fire will be going into the new District Chief’s vehicles that have been delivered. They will not run on the digital system until sometime middle to late 2011 when the new communication centre is finished on Stone Church Road East. Then they will flip the switch and you will hear nothing!

With this they are buying their own stand alone CAD dispatch system. Up to now they have been using the police CAD system and not getting their moneys worth out of it. That is due to police (RCMP & CISI) security issues on who has access to restricted information. There will be computer screens called MDT’s in all vehicles. They will be able to transmit info directly to each vehicle with call information.

Not to worry. They are going to install a small transmitter that will broadcast their dispatches out to anyone who wants to listen in. You will not be able to hear any of the fire ground traffic unless you have about a $2000 radio. The extra radio frequency use is due to complaints from the media, fire buff’s and line senior officer who want to monitor calls on inexpensive radios. This will be on an old frequency that they already own and most likely 154.250 or 154.830. It will not be a powerful transmitter and most likely not get to the far ends of the rural part of Hamilton.

• 3 weeks later...
I know there is some meaning behind the numbering system for Hamilton Police cruisers, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone know what their system is? (I think 7xx is marine (?))

1XX= Central station (Downtown Hamilton)

2XX= Stoney Creek Station

3XX= Mountain station

There are random numbers mixed in as well, like a few expeditions are numbered in the 6XX like 691..

All new crown vics are numbered from 701 to around 730 I believe.

There are a bunch of new "unnumbered" Crown Vics sitting in Lockwood Motors, at the corner of Ferguson and Cannon for those who wanna check'em out.

2009 Busiest Overall Fire Apparatus

Squad 1

Rescue 6

Engine 3

Busiest Engine

Engine 3

Pump 12

Engine 9

Busiest Ladder

Ladder 10

Ladder 4

Ladder 9

Busiest Station

Station 1

Station 6

Station 9

Busiest Chief

District 1

Busiest Apparatus for Fires

Pump 6

Pump 1

Engine 9

Squad_1_Pose_300661.jpg

Squad 1 is a light rescue that is running in the core of the city. Its district is the smallest in the city being 11 blocks wide by 26 blocks long. It is one of 3 units purchased about 8 or 9 years ago as an experiment. It was designed to move quickly through the heavy traffic and tight streets of the core. It works fine there but the other two did not work out as planned as Squad 4 and Squad 6. The others are now Squad 16 in Winona and Squad 28 in Freelton. The squads turned out to be maintenance pigs as driving with all of the stop and go in the city where killing them. Presently planned that by the end of the year Squad 1 will be sent to Rockton to become Squad 27.

Scheduled for an August delivery are 3 new heavy rescues from KME. They will be Rescue 1, Rescue 4 and Rescue 6. There will be changes in their responses. Rescue 6 will have added high angle rescue and confined space rescue. Rescue 4 will be also HazMat (They are doing some of this now) and Rescue 1 will have extra high-rise capability added to its job. All 3 will have extra breathing air capability added to their vehicles. There will be one rescue dispatched to all 1st alarm calls and on a 2nd alarm high rise fires, Rescue 1 will be added to the dispatch anywhere in the city.