BCT-3122-D800-10240

BC Transit - Kelowna Regional Transit System

Proponents envision mass-transit line along old rail corridor
Route from Kelowna to Coldstream seen as ideal for recreation until population growth warrants redevelopment
By Evan Duggan, Special to The Sun December 16, 2014 1:41 PM

[...]

On Dec. 1, the City of Kelowna, on behalf of the municipalities of Lake Country, Coldstream, Vernon and Kelowna, as well as the Central and North Okanagan regional districts, signed a deal worth $50 million to buy the rail corridor from CN.

[...]
He said research suggests that a mass-transit network between Kelowna and Vernon would require a regional population of 500,000 to 600,000. “We’re a long way from that,” Gilchrist said. “We’re 180,000 as a region.

In much the same way the old CNR right of way in the capital region was earmarked for LRT, once population growth warrants?

Proponents envision mass-transit line along old rail corridor
Route from Kelowna to Coldstream seen as ideal for recreation until population growth warrants redevelopment
By Evan Duggan, Special to The Sun December 16, 2014 1:41 PM

I looked all over when I was in Kelowna and never saw one.

Driver has mentioned that their units were in the shop due to faulty doors.

They did get grounded for a few days until the door issue could be addressed. They were coming open while the bus was moving. Not sure what the fix was, but they are back on the road.

I was up in Kelowna a couple of days ago on a charter. I saw 9262, a former Nanaimo '07 Nova, still carrying full Nanaimo insignia. Also spotted at least three Yaxings but do not recall the numbers.

3007, 3011, 3012 are the three Vicinity buses that we have here in Kelowna. Don't know what the story is with them unfortunately. I bid away from runs that have them becuase of the driver's comparment design. Steering wheel doesn't come up high enough combined with seat not going low enough to get ina compfortable positioin to drive. You end up with the steering wheel not even an inch above your thighs.

Oh and 8009 and 8028 are still in the Kelowna yard, but being robbed for parts. Fareboxes removed. Driver's seats, signs are all removed. We lost 9871 which is the bus that was involved with the incident where the gentleman passed away on board the bus. As far as I know, BC Transit had plans to scrap the unit. 9327 came here in place of it.

Was there damage to the bus the murder occurred on? Seems really ridiculous to scrap?

Was there damage to the bus the murder occurred on? Seems really ridiculous to scrap?

I have not read anywhere that 9871 would be scrapped. From what I remember reading, that bus was to be transferred out of Kelowna to another system. More than likely to Victoria.

3007, 3011, 3012 are the three Vicinity buses that we have here in Kelowna. Don't know what the story is with them unfortunately. I bid away from runs that have them becuase of the driver's comparment design. Steering wheel doesn't come up high enough combined with seat not going low enough to get ina compfortable positioin to drive. You end up with the steering wheel not even an inch above your thighs.

I wonder the three Vicinity buses will be modification done to them or will they be transferred. Hope they will be have modification done to them for the other Vicinity buses can get same done and future orders could be better with them already done.

Buses at the new Westbank Exchange:

17687074460_c4d7e98cbd_o.jpg

9321 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

17875464361_7f714acb38_o.jpg

9275 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

17686801158_46812a446c_o.jpg

8086 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

17874613275_5398c3dd48_o.jpg

8081 by Blue Bus Fan, on Flickr

I have to say what BC Transit has done to stops for Rapid Bus, Route 97, are quite nice but the service fu@*ing sucks with buses coming every 30 minutes on weekend full length of route and hourly to Westbank Exchange on Sundays. I see nothing that makes the route rapid? I feel that BC Transit has differently failed on Rapid Transit in Kelowna. For BC Transit not to suck at Rapid Transit:

1. 10 minutes service all day seven days week for full route.

2. 5 minute service for busy part of route in peak periods

3. HOV Lanes for whole route.

4. When traffic starts to get back in HOV lanes make them bus only.

5. The future a bus way in the middle of highway 97 the whole trip excluding when the buses go to Queensway Exchange.

6. Double decker buses, Nova LFS or New Flyer articulated buses

7. Westbank routes are timed to connect to certain trips

8. When the routes reach full capacity it will be convert to light rail even on the floating bridge.

Double deckers (at least as they are) cannot run on the 97X due to the unusually-high platforms that are unsuitable for the plug doors (they hit the sides and can fail to open at all in this case). Artics are a possibility, but until ridership in Kelowna shows the need for it this won't happen either.

In order for ridership to flourish to levels where artics would be necessary, Kelowna would need to move forward by rezoning for higher density developments along Harvey Ave and Hwy 97 on both sides of the lake. (Not likely for the next few years at least)

10 minutes service all day for a city the size of Kelowna would be like 1 minute frequency for a city the size of Vancouver. It's too much too soon. During the rush I could see 10 minute frequency being a good thing (even 5 minutes at the height of peak travel times) but on weekends less people travel, and 20 minute frequency would be sufficient for Kelowna.
Don't forget, Kelowna is a lot smaller than Vancouver and even smaller than Victoria. The most frequent bus route in the capital is every 15 minutes (outside of peak periods).

Double deckers (at least as they are) cannot run on the 97X due to the unusually-high platforms that are unsuitable for the plug doors (they hit the sides and can fail to open at all in this case). Artics are a possibility, but until ridership in Kelowna shows the need for it this won't happen either.

In order for ridership to flourish to levels where artics would be necessary, Kelowna would need to move forward by rezoning for higher density developments along Harvey Ave and Hwy 97 on both sides of the lake. (Not likely for the next few years at least)

10 minutes service all day for a city the size of Kelowna would be like 1 minute frequency for a city the size of Vancouver. It's too much too soon. During the rush I could see 10 minute frequency being a good thing (even 5 minutes at the height of peak travel times) but on weekends less people travel, and 20 minute frequency would be sufficient for Kelowna.

Don't forget, Kelowna is a lot smaller than Vancouver and even smaller than Victoria. The most frequent bus route in the capital is every 15 minutes (outside of peak periods).

But it is rapid transit which no matter, no matter where it is should have very frequent service seven days, all day while a person does not need to check the schedule. Also increasing service will help put more people on the bus because they would not need wait as long for buses to take while they are going.

You know, it's quite strange how BC Transit retrofitted ALL of their Tridents with the swing-out doors, including 9037-9039. I had heard a long time ago, just a rumour, that 9037-9039 were going to be transferred back to Kelowna, but they aren't now. Would have made sense to give Kelowna their 3 deckers back with the swing-in doors that they originally had so the doors would work with the large platforms on the 97x route.

Speaking of the 97x, the last time I was in Kelowna, last year, I tried to ride the 97x, but every time it came by it was full up to the point where the driver put (Sorry, Bus Full). So that route is well utilized, almost too well utilized.

Speaking of the 97x, the last time I was in Kelowna, last year, I tried to ride the 97x, but every time it came by it was full up to the point where the driver put (Sorry, Bus Full). So that route is well utilized, almost too well utilized.

All day long? I can't see that happening every trip all day long....!

You know, it's quite strange how BC Transit retrofitted ALL of their Tridents with the swing-out doors, including 9037-9039. I had heard a long time ago, just a rumour, that 9037-9039 were going to be transferred back to Kelowna, but they aren't now. Would have made sense to give Kelowna their 3 deckers back with the swing-in doors that they originally had so the doors would work with the large platforms on the 97x route.

I think BC Transit should have not installed swing-out doors on 9037-9039 because those buses could have be transferred and be operated on the 97x in return for those buses Victoria Regional Transit System would get the three of the best of Kelowna 2008 Enviro500.

I think BC Transit should have not installed swing-out doors on 9037-9039 because those buses could have be transferred and be operated on the 97x in return for those buses Victoria Regional Transit System would get the three of the best of Kelowna 2008 Enviro500.

I think we should be looking into the exact reasons why the rear doors were retrofitted in the first place before jumping to conclusions.

All day long? I can't see that happening every trip all day long....!

I went to the 97x bus stop about 5 times throughout the day (just to get a ride). I was at the Okanogan Seasons Resort on Highway 97 near Enterprise Way. Waited twice in the morning for a bus, twice in the afternoon, and once in the evening. School should have been out since it was the summertime. I wound up taking an alternate bus.

I think we should be looking into the exact reasons why the rear doors were retrofitted in the first place before jumping to conclusions.

I'm fairly positive that the 2002 Tridents were due for their mid-life rebuild, and Victoria needs more deckers than Kelowna.

I went to the 97x bus stop about 5 times throughout the day (just to get a ride). I was at the Okanogan Seasons Resort on Highway 97 near Enterprise Way. Waited twice in the morning for a bus, twice in the afternoon, and once in the evening. School should have been out since it was the summertime. I wound up taking an alternate bus.

I'm fairly positive that the 2002 Tridents were due for their mid-life rebuild, and Victoria needs more deckers than Kelowna.

That isn't what I was asking however. I would love to know the reasons for changing the door style operation. Maybe I missed these reasons somewhere else in this thread. But I haven't found anything yet.

BC transit had a chance to change the height of the platforms. We had checked it with a decker as they were speed to be used for the 97 Okanagan. Nobody listened to our concerns.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

That isn't what I was asking however. I would love to know the reasons for changing the door style operation. Maybe I missed these reasons somewhere else in this thread. But I haven't found anything yet

The slide and glide doors on the 02 Tridents you may recall came with retracting yellow tape mechanisms attached to each door panel, I can only assume that Dennis felt this safety measure was necessary to prevent injury. switching to plugs would have eliminated maintenance of the extra gear,

3012 is on the 21 saw it twice where at the West Kelowna Transit Exchange.

That is typically where the Yaxing's run is on the west side of the lake. They are over there most of the day and replaced by Arboc's on the later night runs.

The slide and glide doors on the 02 Tridents you may recall came with retracting yellow tape mechanisms attached to each door panel, I can only assume that Dennis felt this safety measure was necessary to prevent injury. switching to plugs would have eliminated maintenance of the extra gear,

I am assuming that the deckers you guys are referring to 9037-9039 would be what Kelowna operators remember as 0251-0253?? Did they change the style of the rear doors?

That is typically where the Yaxing's run is on the west side of the lake. They are over there most of the day and replaced by Arboc's on the later night runs.

Is this new that Yaxing will operate on the 21? Because last year and May of 2015 I didn't see this happening I saw an Arboc on the route.

They switch routes on the west side all the time. They do a few of the 21's. All of the morning trips are ran using a flyer as the passenger loads are simply too much for the yaxing, or the arboc.

Does anyone know where I can find a set of destination sign codes. I got 1 from a friend but his don't have 2 routes. Im getting the processom a retired flipdot sign bus and need a set of codes as I know it will have rtes 5 and 32