BC Transit - Kelowna Regional Transit System

1 hour ago, 9924 said:

And the envelope for the next job action in BC is?

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/382540/Unionized-Kelowna-transit-workers-approve-strike-vote

"Metro" Kelowna - got a good laugh out of that one 🤣

Everyone knows that the legal requirements to be classified as "Metro" area are at least one IKEA and one Olive Garden.

Ikea and Olive Garden.  LOL  ❤️ it.  

Time for First to go!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dzldriver said:

Time for First to go!!

If only... 

I enjoy how honest the Kelowna drivers are with the complete sh*t show that is privatized transit. Those of us in Vernon agree of course, but we tend to keep our voice much smaller. 

Maybe with both Kelowna and Vernon/Salmon Arm striking (with one more system potentially coming on board soon) it will send a message.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 7:33 PM, Iron said:

Maybe with both Kelowna and Vernon/Salmon Arm striking (with one more system potentially coming on board soon) it will send a message.

Work together and support each other, have each other's back.  Make it about the employees again and not about the Unions.  Sends a much stronger message.

Solidarity needs to actually mean something again and not just be used as Union rhetoric.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, 9924 said:

Regional District of the Central Okanagan wants First out and requesting that BC Transit not extend their contract next year:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/383339/New-operator-should-be-considered-when-Kelowna-Transit-contract-expires-next-year-RDCO-chair

They'd also like to see BC Transit stop outsourcing transit service in the future.

It has long bothered me that virtually all of BC Transit's services in BC are contracted out. Eliminate the middle man. BC Transit has shown pretty clearly that they have the capacity to run the systems themselves based on Victoria, I see zero benefit in handing a chunk of change over a contractor to profit off a public service. Really don't understand the logic behind it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, InfiNorth said:

It has long bothered me that virtually all of BC Transit's services in BC are contracted out. Eliminate the middle man. BC Transit has shown pretty clearly that they have the capacity to run the systems themselves based on Victoria, I see zero benefit in handing a chunk of change over a contractor to profit off a public service. Really don't understand the logic behind it. 

The reasoning behind it is purely book keeping, when a public corporation runs a debt, it reflects on the Province's budget and finances, but if one were to privatize that debt load, its no longer on the Provinces finance sheet which makes voters happy because voters are dumb as 💩  Think of it as shifting the blame when things inevitably go sideways.

Its not just transit though, all other critical infrastructure needs to fall back under the crown umbrella, highway maintenance in BC has become an utter joke, BC Ferries is a complete disaster and so on and so forth.  Those of us old enough to remember when those were run by the Province, the services delivered were much better - yes, they lost money but the idea behind transit, highway maintenance and ferries isn't to make money, its to provide an important service that the citizens of BC need to rely on.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2022 at 2:23 AM, 9924 said:

The reasoning behind it is purely book keeping, when a public corporation runs a debt, it reflects on the Province's budget and finances, but if one were to privatize that debt load, its no longer on the Provinces finance sheet which makes voters happy because voters are dumb as 💩  Think of it as shifting the blame when things inevitably go sideways.

Its not just transit though, all other critical infrastructure needs to fall back under the crown umbrella, highway maintenance in BC has become an utter joke, BC Ferries is a complete disaster and so on and so forth.  Those of us old enough to remember when those were run by the Province, the services delivered were much better - yes, they lost money but the idea behind transit, highway maintenance and ferries isn't to make money, its to provide an important service that the citizens of BC need to rely on.

I've done park maintenance for private operators in about a half-dozen provincial parks. Wished I'd be employed directly instead of through the province instead. 

• 4 weeks later...

You guys all asleep here?  Usually you're posting every time a bus has a burnt out headlight 🤣

In actual noteworthy bus news, after a couple of weeks of an overtime ban, the Union escalated to a full work stop today but First has agreed to binding arbitration and the drivers will be back on the job tomorrow:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/388807/Union-company-agree-to-binding-arbitration-in-Kelowna-transit-labour-dispute

As for First's future in Kelowna, not looking too good right now:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/388888/Contract-for-operation-of-Kelowna-Regional-Transit-will-not-be-automatically-rolled-over

I held back on this 9924 because I was involved.  The city of Kelowna is extremely unhappy with First and has been for a long time.  

Basically we are tired of them profiting off of ours and the ridership's backs.  When a company can make a profit off of a system that is designed to lose money, there is a problem.   Shifting it off the municipalities backs and onto someone else is just a cop out.  It is our belief that with the millions of dollars in profit that First makes off of this system, that if put back into the system would give us better wages, better benefits and pension and still have money left over to put back into better transit.  There are reports that show that privatization does NOT save governments any money.  

Since Kelowna has shifted to being a necessary transit system from the small town shopper service it used to be, the priority on transit for the city has changed.  The current council and some future councilors are now convinced that running it inhouse will be better.  We are still negotiating with First due to the fact that this will not happen overnight.  

There will be changes, and ATU 1722 has been at the forefront of educating the public on exactly what a sham privatization is.

Vernon guys,  We love you.  We have been working together for many years, and plan to in the future.  

As for contracting out, it works in small places, but larger Tier 1 properties, should NOT be privatized.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, dzldriver said:

Vernon guys,  We love you.  We have been working together for many years, and plan to in the future.  

Unless BC Transit decides to split up the RFP, which currently includes not only Kelowna, but Vernon and Salmon Arm as well, we're all in this together. It's not like we're happy with First. Our last GM was hated by Vernon's leaders, to the point where they refused to work with them where ever possible. I could make a very long list of reasons why First needs to f-off. 

Here's hoping for a bright future for all of us. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, dzldriver said:

but larger Tier 1 properties, should NOT be privatized.

I have always been bewildered by the fact that Victoria is the only BC Transit operated system. I know a few regional districts or cities run their systems, but privatization of a public service on a large scale, as usual, is about the worst option. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, InfiNorth said:

I have always been bewildered by the fact that Victoria is the only BC Transit operated system. I know a few regional districts or cities run their systems, but privatization of a public service on a large scale, as usual, is about the worst option. 

This is done at the request of the cities in question. BC Transit won't be operating any system outside of Victoria, and even HandyDart there is contracted out. For city budgets, its the easiest way to go. They have a fixed rate that they pay each month. this makes budgeting much easier. When you consider that many cities in the province are run by very conservative local governments, that see Transit as nothing but a necessary evil, straight forward budgeting is for the best. This is not to say that I agree with it, only that its very common for cities to want to "offload" these things, avoiding extra costs for pensions etc. Running a Transit Operation has many variable costs, and makes budgeting very difficult, especially when you consider the "need" to spend every budgeted dollar, so that the budget doesn't get cut the next year. Government budgets are NOT straight forward, and this is the kind of thing that they try to avoid. In a sense Translink is also an off loading of this type. The exception being that it is still a government entity, though the BC Liberals would likely have changed that if they could. Look at the BC Ferries fiasco. The cities have two options to choose from, contract the service out, or run it themselves. Most choose the former. Interestingly, the few that are run by the cities themselves are generally better services overall.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 9924 said:

Yeesh, for a forum whose members literally piss themselves in excitement if a bus makes a left turn instead of a right turn but aren't on the ball with actual newsworthy events 🤣

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/392986/Kelowna-Regional-Transit-System-has-a-new-owner

"Transdev has a worse reputation in the industry than First Transit"

Oh good I'm so glad things are going to improve now. 

6 hours ago, 9924 said:

Yeesh, for a forum whose members literally piss themselves in excitement if a bus makes a left turn instead of a right turn but aren't on the ball with actual newsworthy events 🤣

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/392986/Kelowna-Regional-Transit-System-has-a-new-owner

Uhhhhh, that first line is vehemently misleading. 

"The Kelowna Transit System has been sold."

On 10/27/2022 at 8:04 PM, Express691 said:

Uhhhhh, that first line is vehemently misleading. 

"The Kelowna Transit System has been sold."

That's what Castanet is.  lol.  The most unreliable sensationalist media outlet in the land.  They just want to be first with a story.  They don't care if it is right. 

6 hours ago, dzldriver said:

That's what Castanet is.  lol.  The most unreliable sensationalist media outlet in the land.  They just want to be first with a story.  They don't care if it is right. 

I thought Castanet was just a website that hadn't been updated since 1999 but I guess they're something else as well.

• Like 2